Film Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Kearnkoff69

Thanks for this, looking forward to seeing it. I might be in the minority but I like Tom Cruise. He might be a bit weird to some people but he keeps himself to himself and when you compare him to some of fellow "stars" he can come across as quite humble (except when he hijacks productions, but to be fair he is one of the most consistent money makers of the last 30 years - 30 years!!)
He's more than "a bit weird," to be fair. He's a public figurehead of one of the most insane modern day cults (which is recognized by the U.S. gov't as a non-profit, meaning they're tax exempt, which makes me cringe so hard).

That being said, he's a tremendous movie star and he's really carried the MI franchise to the point where it's become the most consistently high quality IP (I guess you could argue that the Marvel universe, outside of a few duds in the first 2 phases, may have this title).

I'll go watch his films, no question, and enjoy the hell out of his performances. But I totally understand why people don't like him. Scientology is bonkers and incredibly secretive, which makes the horror stories from people who have fled the Church more believable rather than less.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He's more than "a bit weird," to be fair. He's a public figurehead of one of the most insane modern day cults (which is recognized by the U.S. gov't as a non-profit, meaning they're tax exempt, which makes me cringe so hard).

That being said, he's a tremendous movie star and he's really carried the MI franchise to the point where it's become the most consistently high quality IP (I guess you could argue that the Marvel universe, outside of a few duds in the first 2 phases, may have this title).

I'll go watch his films, no question, and enjoy the hell out of his performances. But I totally understand why people don't like him. Scientology is bonkers and incredibly secretive, which makes the horror stories from people who have fled the Church more believable rather than less.
Oh without a doubt they're a bunch of wackos, but he's never really been someone who has openly forced his views on someone. Even that embarrassing recruitment video he did was for the "church's" in house use.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Thanks for this, looking forward to seeing it. I might be in the minority but I like Tom Cruise. He might be a bit weird to some people but he keeps himself to himself and when you compare him to some of fellow "stars" he can come across as quite humble (except when he hijacks productions, but to be fair he is one of the most consistent money makers of the last 30 years - 30 years!!)
Aye he’s one of my favorite actors. Immensely talented.

Smores

Went to watch it yesterday, exactly what you expect from a great mission impossible.

Because you know he got injured it makes so many of the scenes more on edge.

Kearnkoff69

Oh without a doubt they're a bunch of wackos, but he's never really been someone who has openly forced his views on someone. Even that embarrassing recruitment video he did was for the "church's" in house use.
Truth. As I said, I'm able to compartmentalize with him and separate Tom Cruise the movie star from Tom Cruise the person. I just thought describing him as "a bit weird" was an understatement. I can totally understand why people can't get on board the Tom Cruise hype train, is all.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Truth. As I said, I'm able to compartmentalize with him and separate Tom Cruise the movie star from Tom Cruise the person. I just thought describing him as "a bit weird" was an understatement. I can totally understand why people can't get on board the Tom Cruise hype train, is all.
I bet as we talk about him in such a positive light he's browsing the Caf and crossing us off a massive Kill List that is sprawled across every wall in his mansion made from his own shit.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He was great as Lestat.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The man knows how to act (Born on 4th of July, Lestat, Jerry Maguire, Collateral, Magnolia), no doubt about it. There is also a legitimate doubt that he is batshit crazy though. Well, most actors are tbf.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The man knows how to act (Born on 4th of July, Lestat, Jerry Maguire, Collateral, Magnolia), no doubt about it. There is also a legitimate doubt that he is batshit crazy though. Well, most actors are tbf.
That very fine line between genius and crazy :wenger:.
The guy was able to dance in a fat suit ffs!
Showwww meeee the mooooneeeyyyy!

SteveJ

Scout
He was the bomb in Phantoms, yo.

arthurka

Cant wait to see this . Love MI but hate Cruise , but he gets them done so I must like him just a little bit.

Moiraine

Are they going to change Hunt like the bond series ?
Or this series will die when Tom Cruise Gets old ....

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Saw this today. It’s an exceptional action film. Truly. It’s way too long of course, incomprehensible and utterly pointless plotwise, and now just an outright wish fulfilment propaganda reel for Tom "I'm all but basically an evil **** leader now, but ignore all that, coz look, stunts!" Cruise, and his mad messianic invulnerability complex/deathwish, but it is most definitely a truly, truly exceptional action film.

I’m not entirely sure how we’ve managed to get to 6 whole Mission Impossible films exactly, considering the only one that made any sort of cultural impact whatsoever was the first one (with its iconic dangling harness heist and hilarious Helicopter vs Eurostar finale) and that was over 20 years ago, and not exactly a classic itself... Yet here we are! Four reasonably successful-ish, mostly proficient, cinematically unmemorable movies later, and we're still going! As if by the sheer force of The Crazy Culty Cruister himself... Fair play. I suppose? I get why people are saying its better than the last few Bonds and Bournes (which it undoubtedly is) but I'm not sold on the whole retroactive "but it's also, like, actually the best action franchise, period" thing...

I mean, usually these kind of multi-decade unkillable franchise films have at least a few culturally durable cinematic moments, don't they? Even if they're just iconically bad ones. Like an invisible car, or a talking Velociraptor, or Batnipples. Or just all of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And yet I genuinely can't think of anything from the entire M:I franchise, outside of those aforementioned OG moments, that's remained in either my, or seemingly the general public cultural consciousness at all... Which is kinda odd, right? Or am I being dim and forgetful? Maybe Cruise hanging onto that plane in the last one was a bit iconic? Perhaps? Was it parodied or referenced in anything? But even then, that wasn't really memorable due to the scene itself (which was tossed off in the opening act iirc?) so much as the marketing making a huge deal about it being literally Tom Cruise, literally hanging onto a plane, u guyz!? Which is basically all anyone knows or cares about these things at this point.

But you know what? If they keep being as batshit entertaining as this one? feck it. Keep 'em coming... Let Crazy Tommy run himself to death for our fleeting forgetful amusement, I say...Hail Xenu!

Reboot is my guess.
Nah. No one is interested in the mythology or wider world of this series. It rests entirely on Cruise and the crazy shit he’ll do in the name of X̶e̶n̶u̶ remaining young and relevant. I know people probably said the same about Bond when Connery left, or Star Trek after Shatner, or whatever, but the reboots/recastings that work are almost always the ones with an already interesting and colourful world around them*. When people think of a Bond film they think of a lot more than just Bond himself, for example. Hence why the attempt to start a new Bourne Franchise with Jermery Arrow McArrowman failed... because, like M:I, there was feck all interesting about that world, outside of Matt Damon doing crazy, impressive looking shit for our entertainment...

I mean, can anyone even name another character from any of these films? Let alone one with a distinguishable charcteristic? Is Ving Rhames a character? Or is he just Ving Rhames in a naff hat getting progressively rounder in a variety of different vans?

Which shouldn’t take away from this tbf, because as many have already said, it’s a genuinely remarkable action film (even more so for being only the 4th film directed by Christopher - I'd already wrote Usual Suspects motherfeckers, what u done!? - McQuarrie... Now a shoe in for a Marvel or Bond gig down the line, surely?)

Anyway, film good. 8/10. Purely for the 4 seriously great actions scenes, and that other one where Cruise just runs around London really fast for ages, without achieving anything.

* in fact this film actually tried to nod to the wider 'M:I' mythos/universe, by making a certain female character, the relative of a character from the original film (very improbably, when you actually think about the timeline, but whatever) and yet I doubt many people picked up on the reference (and judging by the sparcity of search results, couldn't care less either) because there's not really any such thing as a "M:I mythos/universe"... It's literally just Tom Cruise, literally hanging onto a plane, u guyz!?

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I only entered this thread for a detailed Mockney post tbh. Never seen a Mission Impossible movie before. Which probably makes him correct in every respect.

Mockney

I only entered this thread for a detailed Mockney post tbh. Never seen a Mission Impossible movie before. Which probably makes him correct in every respect.
Tbf, in this one he does climb up a rope into a helicopter, in midair, so he can dodgem fight another helicopter, with that helicopter, all whilst learning how to fly a helicopter, whilst the helicopter is on fire.

So, you know, critical film theory be damned.

But also, knowing he does all this crazy shit because he absolutely believes he's a superhuman cosmic prince whose less fallible than most mortals because of the amount of sad alien ghosts he's purged from his body with the help of a plastic magnet box from the 1960s, invented by a hacky Sci Fi writer who lived on a boat to avoid paying tax, is just always so spiritually uplifting...

Last edited:

SteveJ

Scout
That review is likely better than the film.

Anyway, #BringBackBeart.

Mockney

Anyway, #BringBackBeart.
Any attempt to give Tom an age appropriate love interest would ruin the presumably intended impression of immortality he's carefully cultivated over his many many years of furious on screen running... Though I did think Cruise's age was a lot more noticeable than it has been before. I mean, obviously he looks great for 56, but all the working out and alien ghost purging in the world can't make up for genetics, and he's no Keanu (or, for that matter, Angela Bassett, whose in this, and I swear has been playing middle aged since the fecking 90s, and still doesn't look a day over 45!) and its starting to show a bit...

I'm actually kind of interested in how Tom will react to this. Presumably by pushing himself to even more ridiculous lengths for our fleeting entertainment, and paying the only 3 people more powerful than him in Scientology thousands of dollars to tell him he's purged the mostest ghosts of anyone ever and can now basically fly or something.

SteveJ

Scout
So...like Neo but even more ludicrous.

Member 39557

Saw this today. It’s an exceptional action film. Truly. It’s way too long of course, incomprehensible and utterly pointless plotwise, and now just an outright wish fulfilment propaganda reel for Tom "I'm all but basically an evil **** leader now, but ignore all that, coz look, stunts!" Cruise, and his mad messianic invulnerability complex/deathwish, but it is most definitely a truly, truly exceptional action film.

I’m not entirely sure how we’ve managed to get to 6 whole Mission Impossible films exactly, considering the only one that made any sort of cultural impact whatsoever was the first one (with its iconic dangling harness heist and hilarious Helicopter vs Eurostar finale) and that was over 20 years ago, and not exactly a classic itself... Yet here we are! Four reasonably successful-ish, mostly proficient, cinematically unmemorable movies later, and we're still going! As if by the sheer force of The Crazy Culty Cruister himself... Fair play. I suppose? I get why people are saying its better than the last few Bonds and Bournes (which it undoubtedly is) but I'm not sold on the whole retroactive "but it's also, like, actually the best action franchise, period" thing...

I mean, usually these kind of multi-decade unkillable franchise films have at least a few culturally durable cinematic moments, don't they? Even if they're just iconically bad ones. Like an invisible car, or a talking Velociraptor, or Batnipples. Or just all of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And yet I genuinely can't think of anything from the entire M:I franchise, outside of those aforementioned OG moments, that's remained in either my, or seemingly the general public cultural consciousness at all... Which is kinda odd, right? Or am I being dim and forgetful? Maybe Cruise hanging onto that plane in the last one was a bit iconic? Perhaps? Was it parodied or referenced in anything? But even then, that wasn't really memorable due to the scene itself (which was tossed off in the opening act iirc?) so much as the marketing making a huge deal about it being literally Tom Cruise, literally hanging onto a plane, u guyz!? Which is basically all anyone knows or cares about these things at this point.

But you know what? If they keep being as batshit entertaining as this one? feck it. Keep 'em coming... Let Crazy Tommy run himself to death for our fleeting forgetful amusement, I say...Hail Xenu!

Nah. No one is interested in the mythology or wider world of this series. It rests entirely on Cruise and the crazy shit he’ll do in the name of X̶e̶n̶u̶ remaining young and relevant. I know people probably said the same about Bond when Connery left, or Star Trek after Shatner, or whatever, but the reboots/recastings that work are almost always the ones with an already interesting and colourful world around them*. When people think of a Bond film they think of a lot more than just Bond himself, for example. Hence why the attempt to start a new Bourne Franchise with Jermery Arrow McArrowman failed... because, like M:I, there was feck all interesting about that world, outside of Matt Damon doing crazy, impressive looking shit for our entertainment...

I mean, can anyone even name another character from any of these films? Let alone one with a distinguishable charcteristic? Is Ving Rhames a character? Or is he just Ving Rhames in a naff hat getting progressively rounder in a variety of different vans?

Which shouldn’t take away from this tbf, because as many have already said, it’s a genuinely remarkable action film (even more so for being only the 4th film directed by Christopher - I'd already wrote Usual Suspects motherfeckers, what u done!? - McQuarrie... Now a shoe in for a Marvel or Bond gig down the line, surely?)

Anyway, film good. 8/10. Purely for the 4 seriously great actions scenes, and that other one where Cruise just runs around London really fast for ages, without achieving anything.

* in fact this film actually tried to nod to the wider 'M:I' mythos/universe, by making a certain female character, the relative of a character from the original film (very improbably, when you actually think about the timeline, but whatever) and yet I doubt many people picked up on the reference (and judging by the sparcity of search results, couldn't care less either) because there's not really any such thing as a "M:I mythos/universe"... It's literally just Tom Cruise, literally hanging onto a plane, u guyz!?
It is a great action film, and I found myself getting tense which is something I've never done for any of the comic book action films.
I personally preferred the previous MI film. That little sequence where they're at the opera and there are multiple people all trying to get the same target was great. Then there was the usual mad motorbike chase, underwater breath holding madness and various other fights/shootouts etc.

The current one pushes it close though. The motorbike chase in paris reminded me of burnout 2 on the playstation, the fight scene in the bathroom was great and the helicopter chase was gripping.
I've never quite warmed to Cruise, but you have to hand it to the guy, he does this stuff very well.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Any attempt to give Tom an age appropriate love interest would ruin the presumably intended impression of immortality he's carefully cultivated over his many many years of furious on screen running... Though I did think Cruise's age was a lot more noticeable than it has been before. I mean, obviously he looks great for 56, but all the working out and alien ghost purging in the world can't make up for genetics, and he's no Keanu (or, for that matter, Angela Bassett, whose in this, and I swear has been playing middle aged since the fecking 90s, and still doesn't look a day over 45!) and its starting to show a bit...

I'm actually kind of interested in how Tom will react to this. Presumably by pushing himself to even more ridiculous lengths for our fleeting entertainment, and paying the only 3 people more powerful than him in Scientology thousands of dollars to tell him he's purged the mostest ghosts of anyone ever and can now basically fly or something.
I'm pretty sure Tom will end up killing himself for our entertainment... which I'm totally fine with.

SteveJ

Scout
Technically he’s already supposed to be telekinetic at his OT level ... but I reckon people just move stuff around for him and then clap.
:lol:

Mockney

The current one pushes it close though. The motorbike chase in paris reminded me of burnout 2 on the playstation
I'd have to watch it again, but from memory, there's actually not an awful lot of crazy impressive shit in that Paris chase, comparative to a lot of other scenes at least, it's just really really well directed. Which is praise, not criticism btw. It's a relatively standard chase scene stunt wise, but the way it's shot, paced and sound designed creates a remarkable amount of tension, as you say. Which in a way is a lot more impressive than making a cartoonishly crazy helicopter dodgem fight seem exciting.

Much like the sky diving sequence, a large part of this effect is created just by making sure Cruise’s face is visible for as long as possible, just so the audience is sufficiently personally involved...and also so even those who’d been living on the moon for the last decade were under no illusions that the holy space prince himself was actually doing all this shit... But even then, there was a lot of very effective sound design and editing involved to make an otherwise straight forward shot of a man in a car driving down a straight road seem as fraught and nail biting as possible.

Which is why my biggest takeaway from this film was McQuarrie, not Cruise. Even though every other scene in the movie that isn’t a crazy impressive action duel, is literally just all the characters standing around a table furiously explaining to each other all the ridiculous ways the plot has implausibly twisted itself from the last action scene to the next action scene...I’m really interested to see what he can do with a film that isn’t built backwards from its set peices...

He’s already written a few of those tbf, namely the Usual Suspects and Edge of Tomorrow. But I’d now really like to see him direct one...though he now seems to be at least partially owned by Cruise, so he may have to keep making M:I sequels until he inevitably actually kills him, before he can be free to make other stuff.

I'm pretty sure Tom will end up killing himself for our entertainment... which I'm totally fine with.
I’d buy that for a dollar!

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Going to see it in IMAX 3d on thursday. The reviews got me hyped as feck.

I hope there will be a running scene. Surely there will be a running scene?!

Sandyman

He runs all across London. You will not be disappointed.

Saw this yesterday and loved it. They even took a little piss out of themselves at times, which was great to see. It's one action scene after another. At one point, I was hoping they would end the scene moving the pointless plot forward and gt to the next action scene.

Cruise looks his age though. And, weirdly, a little chubby (just the face/neck area). Not sure how much longer he can keep it up. Jon Voight was 58 when the first movie came out and Cruise teases him in the film. Cruise will be 58 by the time the next movie comes out. Maybe they can speed up the production and release one every 2 years.

Cloud7

There’s a brilliant running scene :lol:

Saw this last night, absolutely excellent movie. I’m generally not much of a fan of plain action movies unless they have a sci fi element to them, but MI has always been an exception, and this one was really good.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He runs all across London. You will not be disappointed.

Saw this yesterday and loved it. They even took a little piss out of themselves at times, which was great to see. It's one action scene after another. At one point, I was hoping they would end the scene moving the pointless plot forward and gt to the next action scene.

Cruise looks his age though. And, weirdly, a little chubby (just the face/neck area). Not sure how much longer he can keep it up. Jon Voight was 58 when the first movie came out and Cruise teases him in the film. Cruise will be 58 by the time the next movie comes out. Maybe they can speed up the production and release one every 2 years.
There’s a brilliant running scene :lol:

Saw this last night, absolutely excellent movie. I’m generally not much of a fan of plain action movies unless they have a sci fi element to them, but MI has always been an exception, and this one was really good.
HYPE HYPE HYPE

RedPnutz

Another one? Starting to feel these are not impossible, merely difficult.

Mockney

@Mockney, do you take requests? Can you do Ant Man 2 next?
I just can't be fecked talking about football on here atm, it's a complete shit show, and politics wastes countless hours of my life. So all I basically do on here these days is elongated film ranting tbh. So sure, why not....

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Tbf, in this one he does climb up a rope into a helicopter, in midair, so he can dodgem fight another helicopter, with that helicopter, all whilst learning how to fly a helicopter, whilst the helicopter is on fire.

So, you know, critical film theory be damned.

But also, knowing he does all this crazy shit because he absolutely believes he's a superhuman cosmic prince whose less fallible than most mortals because of the amount of sad alien ghosts he's purged from his body with the help of a plastic magnet box from the 1960s, invented by a hacky Sci Fi writer who lived on a boat to avoid paying tax, is just always so spiritually uplifting...
:lol: