Film Mission: Impossible - Fallout

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Mental film. Really enjoyed it. Definitely had my heart in my mouth a few times when he was doing something crazy. I mean I know it's only a film but he is genuinely going to kill himself doing the next one of these if someone doesn't reign him in.

I'm not sure where I'd rank it on the list. The second is complete turd. I really like the first one for being a bit more of a twisty turny spy thriller and having the whole Langley break in set piece (and the best version of the theme). The others all kind of blend in to one another and I probably need to watch them again. Which is the one with the Vatican stuff? Or the one where he's titting about in Dubai on the outside of a skyscraper? I know the third has got a wonderfully deranged Phillip Seymour Hoffman in it and the nose bombs.

But yeah apart from that I do agree with AN that my favourite part of these is usually the 'mission' aspect (i.e. Langley in the first one). This one is just straight up balls to the wall action and no plot. Which is fine.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Great film. Only thing that annoyed me about it is the 3/4 too many plot twists in the same scene let alone film. Got way too confused.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Great film. Only thing that annoyed me about it is the 3/4 too many plot twists in the same scene let alone film. Got way too confused.
Really? What bits confused you? One of my minor grievances was that you could see all the 'twists' coming a mile off. Well both of them. The only two I can think of were
Henry Cavill being a double agent and them doing the old mask switcheroo on him with Sean Harris.
Oh and the start with the
fake newsroom
. Also obvious.

There were plenty of plot holes though. Waiting for someone on here to go full noodle on them which is always entertaining.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Really? What bits confused you? One of my minor grievances was that you could see all the 'twists' coming a mile off. Well both of them. The only two I can think of were
Henry Cavill being a double agent and them doing the old mask switcheroo on him with Sean Harris.
Oh and the start with the
fake newsroom
. Also obvious.

There were plenty of plot holes though. Waiting for someone on here to go full noodle on them which is always entertaining.
yeh the Henry Cavill bit, obviously clocked the mask switch and they caged him up, but then straight away when the armed people turned up, whoever they were, all of sudden it switched again and Cavill was in charge so i was like WTF now? Did he know he was set up etc. I assume they were there to help him extract the prisoner guy out but i was just eye rolling at this point

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
yeh the Henry Cavill bit, obviously clocked the mask switch and they caged him up, but then straight away when the armed people turned up, whoever they were, all of sudden it switched again and Cavill was in charge so i was like WTF now? Did he know he was set up etc. I assume they were there to help him extract the prisoner guy out but i was just eye rolling at this point
I'm not sure we have to spoiler as it's a thread for the film, but anyway:

As Cavill himself has infiltrated the CIA, I guess it's not too far a stretch to suggest that he got some apolstles to infiltrate it too? I suppose the stretch comes with the idea that Cavill knew that his boss was going to send a team to London and so made sure some of his guys were in it

Like @CassiusClaymore says though, the plot itself is a bit all over the place.... I mean

Why did the White Widow tell Hunt she wants Isla dead if she's working for the CIA? Also that plot point went nowhere fast... because - as far as I could follow - as soon as Hunt realised that Cavill was John Lark and was actually working with Lane, that they had the Uranium all along... so the idea of him being John Lark to obtain the Uranium was pointless as the real Lark always had the Uranium due to being in cahoots with Lane... so the need for the White Widow at all was totally pointless.

In fact, wasn't Lane/Lark/Apostles using the White Widow a bit risky in the first place? Couldn't they have just got one of their apostles to pretend to be a broker? Instead of bringing in a third party which brings in its own risk? The only reason they used her was to incriminate Ethan Hunt, so why not just use one of their own guys?

Also why were her goons so determined on murdering people and making sure Hunt did the job?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Also, Chirs McQuarrie has done a podcast with Empire about the making of the film (he did one for Rogue Nation as well which is definitely worth a listen)

Thats part 1, part 2 is out on a few days apparently.

Listening to it though, it feels like a miracle that even a barely coherent film was managed to be made... i mean the whole process of making a film on the fly and just shooting scenes without any idea whats going to happen or why its happening is just mental.

Like @Mockney said - will be interesting to see a film written/directed by Chris McQuarrie that a) actually has a script beforehand and b) doesn't star Tom Cruise.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Ooo, ooo, we’re doing nitpicks! My go!

Why are they driving the freed/re-captured prisoner with a sack over his head and a straight jacket around in the front seat of the car!?

Why would the only 4 people who seemed to need the toilet in a packed nightclub assume that two set of feet in a stall meant “ooooh, le gays?” The guy who wrote this film knows about cocaine, right? He lives in Hollywood doesn’t he?

What was the narrative purpose of Henry Cavill passing out on the skydive? Other than - “this would make a cool scene?” If he dies, that’s the end of the film, right? What with him basically being the antagonist.

Why do the opening titles show copious clips from later in the film itself? Essentially telegraphing everything thats going to happen, if you pay enough attention. I’m aware this also happens in the first one, and so may also happen in all the others, but as no one actually remembers what happens in all the others, who can tell?

I liked the bit where you could tell Alec Baldwin was definitely about to die, because they had his doughy 60 year old administrative character begin to best jacked 30s beefcake Henry “Superman” Cavill in a fist fight.

Why is there a supposedly British MI:6 agent with a ridiculous Scandinavian name played by a Swedish actress? Why not just make her Swedish? They probably have spys too, right? What is this, Prometheus?

Why is everyone so disparaging of the masks? The masks are surely an incredible bit of tech that every spy and law enforcement agency in the world would be desperate for? But instead they seem to be solely the preserve of this one, kinda outlier organisation that keeps getting shut down then reopened every other film.

Also, they’d obviously render every recorded confession absolutely useless, because everyone could just claim it was someone pretending to be them in a mask.

Why does anyone think we care about Tom Cruise’s wife/not wife? Or indeed any kind of romantic interest. He’s a cosmic alien space prince. He cares not for mortal women.

Tom Cruise’s main personality flaw in this movie is that he just cares too damn much about everybody! This is what Tom Cruise thinks passes as character development.

The second is complete turd. I really like the first one for being a bit more of a twisty turny spy thriller and having the whole Langley break in set piece (and the best version of the theme). The others all kind of blend in to one another and I probably need to watch them again. Which is the one with the Vatican stuff? Or the one where he's titting about in Dubai on the outside of a skyscraper? I know the third has got a wonderfully deranged Phillip Seymour Hoffman in it and the nose bombs.
This is exactly how I feel about them as a series. The last 3 all just sort of merge into an identityless melange of stunts and Cruisisms. At least the second one had some really naff John Woo stuff and super 90s hair. Oh, and Limp Biscuit! Remember Limp Biscuit?

In fact 2 might be the second most memorable Mission Impossible film, despite being almost completely awful. Which is something.

Last edited:

Member 39557

Ooo, ooo, we’re doing nitpicks! My go!

Why are they driving the freed/re-captured prisoner with a sack over his head and a straight jacket around in the front seat of the car!?

Why would the only 4 people who seemed to need the toilet in a packed nightclub assume that two set of feet in a stall meant “ooooh, le gays?” The guy who wrote this film knows about cocaine, right? He lives in Hollywood doesn’t he?

What was the narrative purpose of Henry Cavill passing out on the skydive? Other than - “this would make a cool scene?” If he dies, that’s the end of the film, right? What with him basically being the antagonist.

Why do the opening titles show copious clips from later in the film itself? Essentially telegraphing everything thats going to happen, if you pay enough attention. I’m aware this also happens in the first one, and so may also happen in all the others, but as no one actually remembers what happens in all the others, who can tell?

I liked the bit where you could tell Alec Baldwin was definitely about to die, because they had his doughy 60 year old administrative character begin to best jacked 30s beefcake Henry “Superman” Cavill in a fist fight.

Why is there a supposedly British MI:6 agent with a ridiculous Scandinavian name played by a Swedish actress? Why not just make her Swedish? They probably have spys too, right? What is this, Prometheus?

Why is everyone so disparaging of the masks? The masks are surely an incredible bit of tech that every spy and law enforcement agency in the world would be desperate for? But instead they seem to be solely the preserve of this one, kinda outlier organisation that keeps getting shut down then reopened every other film.

Also, they’d obviously render every recorded confession absolutely useless, because everyone could just claim it was someone pretending to be them in a mask.

Why does anyone think we care about Tom Cruise’s wife/not wife? Or indeed any kind of romantic interest. He’s a cosmic alien space prince. He cares not for mortal women.

Tom Cruise’s main personality flaw in this movie is that he just cares too damn much about everybody! This is what Tom Cruise thinks passes as character development.

This is exactly how I feel about them as a series. The last 3 all just sort of merge into an identityless melange of stunts and Cruisisms. At least the second one had some really naff John Woo stuff and super 90s hair. Oh, and Limp Biscuit! Remember Limp Biscuit?

In fact 2 might be the second most memorable Mission Impossible film, despite being almost completely awful. Which is something.

The above scene (1:23 - 1:55) has been etched in my memory for 18 years. It's so laughably ludicrous that it's by far the most notable thing of the three things I remember about the film.
The others being Tom cruise hanging off a rock in the middle of nowhere and motorbikes on a beach.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
John Woo gonna John Woo man. Audi TTS were so super cool in the early 2000s. Along with Garage and a bizarrely brief renaissance for leather trousers.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I think the broker character was in the film entirely due to the Ethan posing as Lark subplot otherwise it wouldn't work as you'd assume Lane's Apostles would know who he is. I liked it when she was like "you have to break Lane out to get the other 2 cores otherwise we'll just sell to the highest bidder." Erm no you won't because we've already established that you've not got them and they only want to trade Lane for them anyway.

I also worry about the initial decoy Lark. Presumably the real Lark (Cavill) put him up to that and was like "why you hit me in the face?" when they got into it in the bathroom. Not sure he realised what he was getting himself into.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I also worry about the initial decoy Lark. Presumably the real Lark (Cavill) put him up to that and was like "why you hit me in the face?" when they got into it in the bathroom. Not sure he realised what he was getting himself into.
To be fair, he probably never even met the actual Lark in person, so when they started throwing down, he was probably just thinking they were hired to take him out or something. Though you have to wonder why Cavill hired such a feckin' badass... made their life a lot harder. (I mean if you think about it, that guy won that fight... against 2 agents no less).

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
None of these ludicrous travesties is as bad as Christopher Eccleston, the woodworking lunatic from
Gone in 60 Seconds, shouting "Put a sock in it!"

Member 39557

None of these ludicrous travesties is as bad as Christopher Eccleston, the woodworking lunatic from
Gone in 60 Seconds, shouting "Put a sock in it!"
There was a glorious period in the mid nineties when we were blessed with utterly mental Nic Cage action flicks.
Face Off, Con Air and The Rock.

Peak Cage.

mu4c_20le

Just saw this last night , it's one of those movies that you have to experience in theatres and especially IMAX while its still up. My action movie of the year.

prateik

Haven't seen the recent movies... Will this make sense or do I need some back story?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Just saw it. Fecking amazing movie, though I honestly have no clue what it was about.

Greatest Tom Cruise running scene ever.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Haven't seen the recent movies... Will this make sense or do I need some back story?
You could do with seeing Rogue Nation (Mission Impossible 5) before hand... though you could probably go in completely cold and still have a great time

prateik

You could do with seeing Rogue Nation (Mission Impossible 5) before hand... though you could probably go in completely cold and still have a great time
Thanks . Saw it last night and really enjoyed it .

I have no idea who were the people trying to kill lark when he was supposed to meet the white widow . MI6 CIA wanted him alive . The Apostles had a deal with him.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
They showed the film at Prekestolen, one of the places they were filming during Mission Impossible.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Just saw it in the IMAX format.
Great action flick. Made better knowing that Cruise does most of his own stunts. Not too shabby for a mid 50s guy ;)

The scenery too is amazing, Paris, London, the Kashmir scenes (edit; a mix of locations probably; hearing it was a mix of Norway and NZ).
Belfast, not so much.

Last edited:

starman

Prior to this one i had only seen the first one and couldnt remember much of it so i was a little lost on some bits when they were referencing the other movies

Saw the reviews after seeing it, although it was good, not sure its as good as its portrayed. The 3rd act was a bit tedious (bar the helicopter scenes) and thought it was 10-20 minutes too long, lots of squirming in seats by the time the bomb was finally defused (sure more than 15 minutes had passed after the bombs were armed...)

That said, one of the best action films i've seen in a while, the choreography and sound was brilliant. I saw it in superscreen and it was epic, obviously if you can, check it out in imax,definitely a worthy film for it

Pscholes18

Saw it today...pretty good action flick....enjoy most of the MI films bar the second, which is fecking shite.

AgentP

Watched the movie in imax. The best action flick I've seen in a long time. Knowing that most of the stunts were done by Tom Cruise himself makes the experience even better.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That was frickin brilliant. Best action flick / entertainer I've seen in ages. Puts the likes of Avenger firmly in the shade.

AgentP

That was frickin brilliant. Best action flick / entertainer I've seen in ages. Puts the likes of Avenger firmly in the shade.
Yeah in Avengers, we know every scene however impressive is completely CGI. But here, there are real stunts performed by actors and stuntmen which make us think how they even shot that scene!

Handré1990

Watching it now in a pretty crappy theatre in Nice. Hope we’ll enjoy it! With MI:2 being the obvious exception I’ve enjoyed all of them. The first one is action classic material.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Was good/decent, but lasted for 10-15 minutes too long for me. Was jaded by the end.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The sense Cruise will eventually kill himself on the set of one of these is palpable. He's above Chan now for the most mental stunts by a lead actor, imo, and the problem is, he has to keep doing bigger and badder stunts at an age where he really should be winding down.

Film was good, not brilliant, but certainly worthy of viewing at the cinema.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
That was fecking brilliant wasn’t it?

I actually can’t believe how enjoyable, and tense throughout, that was. Really felt like a classic action movie, and miles better than it really had any right to be. Loved everything in Paris (particularly the daytime chase scenes), Tom running through London landmarks, and the sheer madness of the Helicopter fight.

Hope the Director does the next MI film, as well as really, any larger projects producers can put in front of him. The direction of the set pieces in this were just ace. Long live Tom!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Saw it yesterday and was thoroughly entertained. It's ridiculous in many ways, it's probably a tad too long, but it's really well paced and so much fun. The stunts are really impressive for the most part, and it looks really good. Very well crafted action film, one of the best blockbusters I've seen in recent times.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Watched it, great fun although don't remember much of the story. If they make 2 more, there are high chances of him just missing the roof or something. While explaining he doesn't need the ropes before.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I though it'll be a nice entertainer but it's actually one of the best action movies of the last decade. Makes you realize how generic a lot of films are in their actions, especially superhero films.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I though it'll be a nice entertainer but it's actually one of the best action movies of the last decade. Makes you realize how generic a lot of films are in their actions, especially superhero films.
But additionally, can a film like this be made without death-defying stunts, and if more films like this were made where the star isn't as skilled/lucky as Tom, are we going to edge nearer fatalities on set for either the star or his/her stand-in?

Cruise being willing and able to do all the crazy stuff he does knits the dialogue with the action and tension and gives the whole thing the authenticity you simply cannot generate via CGI. He really does go over and above for this series and we, as the audience, should be acutely aware of that.