Mitrovic - Toney - Watkins

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Quite surprised that Toney is still allowed to play to be honest.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
There's something about Watkins that just never makes me think he's that good. He could score 20 and I'd probably still think the same.

Maybe it's the same type of goals he always scores, he's very Michael Owen without any of the other stuff.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
There's something about Watkins that just never makes me think he's that good. He could score 20 and I'd probably still think the same.

Maybe it's the same type of goals he always scores, he's very Michael Owen without any of the other stuff.
I get what you mean, he's not a 'slick' footballer, probably due to his technique. But he is effective and can put the ball in the back of the net.

Rojofiam

Toney is by far the best out of these 3. Would be a great option if Kane and Osimhen are unattainable.

Gordon Godot

Watched Brentford a few times and Toney would be a great signing, plays in a high press, can hold up the ball and good at link play, has pace and scores a variety of goals. Approaching his peak and would benefit from a team that created more chances. But David Raya is the player we need, he plays as a sweeper and is great on the ball, plus commands his area. Completely different to DDG

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Toney is the best for me too. Has a lot more of everything, but I guess clubs are waiting on the betting scandal outcome.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Toney quite clearly the standout between them all and younger. Watkins has been fantastic under Emory recently though. Can't say I rate him that much but he's really picked up. Mitro, aside from his ban has been fairly meh post WC.
Ferguson pips them all.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

He’s a lot like Morata. Has a good range of skills, does a lot of selfless running, occupies the centre backs, and scores a decent amount of goals. But he’s flaky and can easily go on barren runs with no confidence in front of goal. He’d managed just 2 league goals by Christmas this year.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Too early to say really, especially in comparison to Toney.
It's probably a blinkered and fan driven view, but I am 100% sold on him, the club have been raving about him since he signed and at every step he has matched and often exceeded expectations. Last night's goal was ridiculously filthy.

He also looks like a nice lad.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's probably a blinkered and fan driven view, but I am 100% sold on him, the club have been raving about him since he signed and at every step he has matched and often exceeded expectations. Last night's goal was ridiculously filthy.

He also looks like a nice lad.
I don't blame you. If he was an Everton player I'd be the exact same. :lol: He does look very good though and at the best club to develop.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’s a lot like Morata. Has a good range of skills, does a lot of selfless running, occupies the centre backs, and scores a decent amount of goals. But he’s flaky and can easily go on barren runs with no confidence in front of goal. He’d managed just 2 league goals by Christmas this year.
To be fair to Watkins, he's scored goals for whichever manager he's played under other than Gerrard, who is an awful manager. There's a reason he's had an uptick in goals and play since Emery's been there.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I don't blame you. If he was an Everton player I'd be the exact same. :lol: He does look very good though and at the best club to develop.
I haven't liked a striker so much since Bobby Zamora got us back to back promotions!

Kaos

Any one of them would be a huge upgrade over Wout. But we should be aiming higher.

I'd take any of them as a squad option though. I like Mitrovic despite him being abit of a twat, but that's partially why I like him :lol:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
To be fair to Watkins, he's scored goals for whichever manager he's played under other than Gerrard, who is an awful manager. There's a reason he's had an uptick in goals and play since Emery's been there.
In his first season in the PL he went on a 9 game goal drought between November and January and a 7 goal game drought between February and March. Last year he went on a 6 goal game drought in amongst a period of 2 goals in 12 games in between January and March. This season he went on a 9 goal drought between August and October. I’d say he’s been a streaky goal scorer ever since arriving in the PL and most of that can be put down to his lack of composure.

Morata has got into double figures in the league in 6 of the last 7 seasons, often finishing off smoothly in a hot streak much like Watkins. He just had a lot of barren runs in between. He was good enough to be an asset to top teams for years, and I think Watkins could be the same. A workhorse with a range of skills and a threat running in behind or running at defences. But you’d need to have other reliable scorers in the team because he can be hopeless in front of goal for long periods.

JuriM

For me these are the best three centre forwards outside the traditional ‘big clubs’ from the PL.

Toney - Brentford - 26 years old

Mitrovic - Fulham - 27 years old

Watkins - Villa - 26 years old

All are either approaching or just entering the traditional peak age bracket and will be obtainable, for the right price, for a bigger club.
Not a single player in the Premier League clubs would be obtainable for the right price for Manchester United really, we would have to overpay insanely.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’m going to give myself a @HarryP style pat on the back here in relation to Watkins.

He’s always had something about him which I believe could work on the next level up. Under a good coach he’s thriving.

I think Watkins or Toney would be great options for United, or any of the historic big clubs.

TheReligion

Abusive
Thought it would be interesting to bump this a year on:

- Mitrovic now in Saudi
- Toney banned for betting
- Watkins the current flavour of the month

Some interesting views on Watkins and just shows how things can change quite drastically in the world of football!

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
This is like a curse thread?

Quick, someone make "Haaland - Salah - Saka"

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Mitro scored a hat-trick last night in the Asian Champions League - including a rather spectacular overhead kick.

Man is absolutely wasted over there.

Bwuk

I really like Watkins. His pace and runs in behind are superb.

It’d be different if he played here. Teams sit in against us a lot more than Villa.

Abraxas

Don't think any of them would have made a huge impact in our team so far. It would have been difficult to step into this football club with the pressure that brings as a striker when the team is playing poorly. It's not as if there is lots of creative play around you. A great striker should help creation be easier for the rest of the team but there's only so much they're going to do. The midfield and wide players need to do more. Hojlund has had a tricky assignment so far.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think Watkins has done very well to catch up and probably just edging Toney as the better player now. I'd probably go for him over Toney if I were Arsenal.