Mitrovic - Toney - Watkins

TheReligion

Abusive
For me these are the best three centre forwards outside the traditional ‘big clubs’ from the PL.

Toney - Brentford - 26 years old

Mitrovic - Fulham - 27 years old

Watkins - Villa - 26 years old

All are either approaching or just entering the traditional peak age bracket and will be obtainable, for the right price, for a bigger club.

I would expect each player to be actively seeking that kind of career move in the next 12 months.

Is there anyone else you would add to these three and who do you think has what it takes to step up a level in terms of pressure, responsibility and European football?

NB will not including Newcastle

Last edited:

Tarrou

would take Toney

Mitrovic wouldn't mind him but not for a big fee

Watkins, nah

Jacob

I'd maybe take Toney at United. It's a no for the other two.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Mitrovic has been excellent so far. He has a bot of that 'x' factor. A bit like the Kane's and the Lewandowskis of this world, not the fastest, but just does enough to be where he should be when he should.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Wasn't aware Toney and Mitrovic are so 'old' already. Would hope we look for a striker with a bit more potential to grow, but I really like the look of Toney

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Toney I like the most as a footballer but I don't think he's what we need. He isn't a convincing enough goal threat for a side that needs a central goalscorer.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Toney is a brilliant player. Would be perfect for us.

hobbers

For the right money Toney or Mitrovic would be excellent buys. Right money being the key point.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Hire Brentford’s scouts.

Toney is 26 btw, who I would take at United in an instance. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him make the England WC squad.

Trequarista10

DCL was being bigged up a year or two ago but has struggled with injuries. Personally not a huge fan, other than his aerial ability and strength I don't think he's very good. If he was free or cheap he may be a decent bench option for a big club, but can't see any team spending big on him.

This level of striker to be honest I think are more valuable to the clubs where they're currently at, where they are first choice and their input makes a big difference, than they would be to a top 6 side. Toney in particular, but also Watkins and Mitrovic, I'd happily have at United if they were free or ridiculous cheap, but to these clubs they're worth a lot because they could be the difference between survival and relegation, or between a top half finish and a relegation dog fight. None of them are worth the 40, 50, 60m they might cost. Only chance I see them moving to a top 6 side would be if they're running their contract down.

If any of them were putting in performances at their current level when they were 22, 23, a big club might be tempted.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Haaland
Kane
Mitrovic

Best 3 strikers in the premier League. Jesus over Mitrovic maybe

Baneofthegame

Honestly feels like Mitrovic has been around so long that he should be older than 27.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’ve seen Calvert Lewin mentioned and I’d also add Solanke as someone to keep an eye on this season at Bournemouth. Both a bit younger.

Calvert Lewin - Everton - 25 years old

Solanke - Bournemouth - 24 years old

pascell

Toney is the better of the 3, has a more rounded game.

Although Mitrovic is a nuisance because of his physicality and has got more consistence in his game it seems.

Watkins is a hard pass.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think Toney seems the most well rounded. Mitrovic is like a proper classic no.9 who might well be the strongest player in the league. Don’t really see much with Watkins. He’s quick and can run the channels, eh.

Trequarista10

Watkins is actually very good on the ball, he played both CM and number 10 at Exeter City, and then as a wide forward initially at Brentford before transitioning into a 9. Just doesn't have the physicality or goalscoring instincts to be a great 9. Playing in a front 2 like he is at Villa suits him pretty well. He's like a slightly worse Robbie Keane, imo.

Longsight Red

I'd add Patson Daka to that list too. I know he's playing with relegation fodder Leicester and this is not knee jerking because he's just scored either.

Abraxas

Hasn't Watkins gone off the boil for a while now? I liked him when he first joined Villa. He's very mobile, a good physical unit, good in possession. But ultimately he hasn't really kicked on, in fact he's gone into reverse. Would need a massive season to even think about a move to a big club. I think he's probably at his level.

Toney is the one I like. I think he should be on our list. He's a proper goalscorer, his record is fantastic at Brentford. I think we need a goalscorer not a 1 in 3 or 4 man because our wide forwards are creators more than goalscorers. Also I think his particular skillset in terms of strength, a good leap, it gives us a focal point. With Ronaldo's aging legs and Rashfords propensity to cough up possession we really do lack presence.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm surprised we didn't go for Isak given everyone seems to think that he's the bees knees

KeanoMagicHat

Toney is a very good striker. Serious presence in the air, good finisher, can play a bit. Could do worse than bringing him in.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Toney is a good creator as well, he's a very clever footballer. He would be fine as a lone striker, and would also be good in a front two.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hasn't Watkins gone off the boil for a while now? I liked him when he first joined Villa. He's very mobile, a good physical unit, good in possession. But ultimately he hasn't really kicked on, in fact he's gone into reverse. Would need a massive season to even think about a move to a big club. I think he's probably at his level.

Toney is the one I like. I think he should be on our list. He's a proper goalscorer, his record is fantastic at Brentford. I think we need a goalscorer not a 1 in 3 or 4 man because our wide forwards are creators more than goalscorers. Also I think his particular skillset in terms of strength, a good leap, it gives us a focal point. With Ronaldo's aging legs and Rashfords propensity to cough up possession we really do lack presence.
You're right about the profile of player we need. But that isn't Toney.

He returned 0.22 non-penalty goals per 90 last season, just under his 0.25 non penalty xG. To put that into perspective, that's a worse open play goal rate than players like Reece James, Bernardo Silva, Gallagher, Richarlison, Broja, Saka, Maupay, Ings, Edouard, Zaha, Benteke, Adams, Benhrama, Dennis, Welbeck, Daka, Mateta, Lookman, Watkins, Antonio, Rashford, Barnes, Odegaard etc etc.

His overall goal tally is boosted by penalties (which he is superb at) and minutes. But a natural goalscorer he ain't. His game is far more about what he offers in general play.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Didn't Mitrovic only score like 4 times the last time Fulham were in the league? Surprised he's only 27, feels like he's been around for ages

Abraxas

You're right about the profile of player we need. But that isn't Toney.

He returned 0.22 non-penalty goals per 90 last season, just under his 0.25 non penalty xG. To put that into perspective, that's a worse open play goal rate than players like Reece James, Bernardo Silva, Gallagher, Richarlison, Broja, Saka, Maupay, Ings, Edouard, Zaha, Benteke, Adams, Benhrama, Dennis, Welbeck, Daka, Mateta, Lookman, Watkins, Antonio, Rashford, Barnes, Odegaard etc etc.

His overall goal tally is boosted by penalties (which he is superb at) and minutes. But a natural goalscorer he ain't. His game is far more about what he offers in general play.
He's got 50 goals in about 80 games for them. That's a goalscorer by any standard. That's not just a guy that holds a ball up.

Of course his tally wasn't quite at that level last season but he's still at a side making their way in this league.

His career record suggests to me this is a guy that will always score and he could be on for a more productive year. Goalscorers tend to stay goalscorers as long as they can make it at the next level. The early indications are he can do that, but we can wait for more evidence to come in before committing by buying next season, at an inflated price.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's got 50 goals in about 80 games for them. That's a goalscorer by any standard. That's not just a guy that holds a ball up.

Of course his tally wasn't quite at that level last season but he's still at a side making their way in this league.

His career record suggests to me this is a guy that will always score and he could be on for a more productive year. Goalscorers tend to stay goalscorers as long as they can make it at the next level. The early indications are he can do that, but we can wait for more evidence to come in before committing by buying next season, at an inflated price.
His best goalscoring season saw him per 0.51 per 90 non-penalty goals in the Championship while playing for the best attack in that league.

That career best is less than players like Jota, Scammacca, Nkunku, Osimhen, Dembele, Mertens, Ekitike, Moreno and many other managed in tougher leagues just last season.

As I said, minutes and penalties boost his goal tally so on paper his goals per game returns looks respectable. But the numbers don't lie, he simply hasn't returned regularly enough in open play for our needs. And at his current age there's no reason to think he'll get significantly better.

TheReligion

Abusive
Toney has continued to kick on since this thread and seems to be the much better all rounder footballer. I know Mitrovic has been injured.

Would really like United to look at him in the summer or even in January if it was doable.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Holy crap I thought Mitrovic was in his 30s.

Toney would be a great addition to our frontline. Balls does stick to him. He’s a scouse fan, though. Not sure how that sits with me.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
To be honest I'll doubt Tobey could ever become a top side player challenging for the league, can't see it in him but I've been wrong plenty of times so let's see.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Toney quite clearly the standout between them all and younger. Watkins has been fantastic under Emory recently though. Can't say I rate him that much but he's really picked up. Mitro, aside from his ban has been fairly meh post WC.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Wasn’t a fan of Watkins before but watched the Villa match v Chelsea and he was superb, full of skills I didn’t know that he had. Not sure if he’s a real goalscorer though

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I just bumped the Watkins thread then saw this was bumped too! But yea, I'd say Watkins could be a real savvy acquisition.