MLB 2022

edcunited1878

San Diego gave up their best young prospects in Hassell, Abrams, and Gore. Two of the three are major league ready and have solid futures, with tons of upside. Hassell is high upside and Wood seems like Aaron Judge reincarnated, but from the left side. Susana is a longer term player, but his raw stuff is great and he has very good mechanics and control for someone his age.

The big plus for the Padres is that they can still flip Soto within the next couple of years in-season or out of season, if they can't secure him long term. They can get a very good haul if they traded Soto in the off-season or next year.

Preller and Padres are in win now mode, if people haven't figured it out by now. They have the pitching depth to make a serious run and assuming the offense picks it up and gets hot, they are a very trendy pick. Plus they have a proven manager now, which hasn't been the case.

edcunited1878

And Hosmer's contract is off the books, Bell is also the other acquisition by the Padres with Soto...a power left handed bat, with his contract expiring at the end of this season. And Myers will not see his club option be picked up.

Hosmer is $20M, Bell is $10M, Myers is around $20M. They already signed Musgrove to a long term contract, and have some salary flexibility for another pitcher to sign like Clevenger, Manaea, etc. But the Padres window is this year and next year. After that, it's unknown, but getting Soto and Bell, plus Hader...the team is positioned to make a run.

But NL is super competitive and as long as the Padres make the playoffs this season, I'm confident in what could happen, but it'll take a lot of great play and who is hot at the right time.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
With an hour left there is a good chance Farhan makes me break my year long streak of not getting trashed on a work night. Thanks Farhan.

Carolina Red

Staff
Really sad to see Vasquez go. Especially the part where he found out during BP before the start of a game against the team he got traded to.

Charlie Foley

Good move for both sides. Hassell, Gore and Abrams are top quality prospects and Padres get a guy who walks in spectacular fashion.
Pretty good I think. If the Yankees were offering Dominguez and Volpe + the rest of the farm that might have been the better package, but Hassel has some star potential. The Dodgers lack of impact positional players (they have some amazing pitching/catching prospects) probably sunk them if they had real interest. Overall a decent package but still nowhere close to what 10+ years of prime Soto would bring.
Thanks both. Been trying to get more into baseball partially to discuss with my dad who is obsessed and also with no football, basketball of NFL it is such a good sports time filler. Still working on the more nuanced rules and definitely don’t know the players around the league enough to say what’s a good trade or what isn’t.

Sadly the Giants aren’t doing so hot this year, A’s have slightly improved the last few weeks I feel. My dad was over in July and we got to watch them win a few games which was good.

we’ve been to a couple of Nats games this season, actually going to see them play the Orioles with my fiancées family next month.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
When the Giants miss the playoffs by 15 games and Rondon and Pederson sign elsewhere next year you are all going to look so bad for calling Farhan a loser. Oh wait, that was me. feck off you incompetent piece of Dodger shit.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
When the Giants miss the playoffs by 15 games and Rondon and Pederson sign elsewhere next year you are all going to look so bad for calling Farhan a loser. Oh wait, that was me. feck off you incompetent piece of Dodger shit.
I imagine Rodon will get a QO next year.

Joc should have gone for sure. Maybe Farhan didn't get an offer he was hoping for?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I imagine Rodon will get a QO next year.

Joc should have gone for sure. Maybe Farhan didn't get an offer he thought was worth it?
Even if the offers were shit they are still better than getting nothing. The QO will net the Giants a second round pick....whoopy! Rondon would have netted a likely top 100 prospect which is of far greater value than a second round pick, especially with the Giants recent drafting record. The Giants are a big market team operating like a small market team b/c the owners are cheap asses who make the Glazers look like PSG's owners. Disgusting.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
He had a couple, but the one that I will always associate him with is Dodger Great Don Drysdale. Ross Porter has a tiny corner of my memory space as well. Jerry Doggett(?) was his longtime partner from right after Vin took over from another legend, Red Barber.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Vin had two of the more known World Series single commentary moments: Bill Buckner error and Kirk Gibson homer.
He also had:
- Aarons 715th HR (they were playing the Dodgers)
- Don Larson's WS perfect game (he did start his career when the Dodgers were the Brooklyn Dodgers!!!)
- And my grandfathers favorite, Koufax's perfect game where he sat silent for a minute to let the audience hear the crowd.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He also had:
- Aarons 715th HR (they were playing the Dodgers)
- Don Larson's WS perfect game (he did start his career when the Dodgers were the Brooklyn Dodgers!!!)
- And my grandfathers favorite, Koufax's perfect game where he sat silent for a minute to let the audience hear the crowd.
He did the same for the Aaron HR, got a cup of coffee & let the crowd take over for over a minute. He then came back on with that iconic ‘black man in the deep South’ passage.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Anyone ever hear the reason Ventura did this? I heard about it on a recent radio segment while in the DFW area, which also cited some bad blood between the ChiSox and Rangers at the time. The article below also mentions the clubhouse fine for not charging the mound.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports...n-ryan-review-documentary-movie-robin-ventura
“Facing Nolan” repeats the story, which may or may not be true, about the Sox agreeing that the first person hit by Ryan would charge the mound or face a $500 fine.

Whether that was the case or not, when you watch the footage, you’re reminded the 26-year-old Ventura didn’t seem to have his heart in it when he charged the mound. (Ventura declined to be interviewed.) Ryan’s legend only grew when he landed punch after punch before he found himself at the bottom of the scrum, fearing he’d lose consciousness — at which point none other than Bo Jackson reached in and scooped him up.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Rich Eisen discusses the Ventura incident with Ryan, begins at 11:10 mark and he then talks of the only others to charge him - McCovey and Winfield. Heard Winfield got him good.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Mariners get their first series win over the Yankees in 20yr.

edcunited1878

Padres got a 6 run inning and a 7 run inning against the Giants! Padres bats heating up and/or the Giants being the 2nd half team that they were coming into the series? Tatis should be back in the San Diego lineup within the next 10 days

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Padres got a 6 run inning and a 7 run inning against the Giants! Padres bats heating up and/or the Giants being the 2nd half team that they were coming into the series? Tatis should be back in the San Diego lineup within the next 10 days
ugh, it’s the Giants being shit. Not trading Rodon was criminal and should almost be fireable.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

And, without looking, what’s being rubbed on the ball & where’s it from?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Almost. Delaware River. No clue why there though.
The internet is undefeated

MLB leans on longtime mud supplier, not Rawlings, to coat balls - Sports Illustrated

The mud’s story does not begin with the Bintliff’s family. It begins with Ray Chapman—the Cleveland Indians shortstop who was killed by a pitch to the head in 1920, the only major leaguer to die from an injury received during a game. After the tragedy, MLB tried to improve player safety. It needed something that would help a pitcher’s grip without damaging the ball’s surface or dirtying it so much that it would be difficult for hitters to see. Teams tried shoe polish, tobacco juice, dirt. Nothing worked.

In the 1930s, though, Philadelphia Athletics third base coach Lena Blackburne found the answer. He rubbed a baseball with mud found near his childhood home in Palmyra, N.J.—special mud, smooth, almost creamy, gloppy without being especially gooey. (It’s a geological thing, Bintliff says: There’s a high clay content in the soil, an oddity for the area, plus brackish water from the tributary mixing with “cedar water” dropping from nearby trees. Perfect conditions exist for only about a mile.) Blackburne realized that a single finger dipped in mud would yield enough to spread across an entire ball, removing all of the dreaded shine without discoloring the surface. And, crucially, this mud neither dribbled off nor sat heavy on the cover. Instead, it permeated the cowhide, perfect for improving grip. If you waited just a minute, any lingering muck would fade and it would be hard to tell that the ball had been treated at all—unless, that is, you were the pitcher, who would immediately be able to feel it.