MLB 2022

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Dusty Baker is surely worth a little doff of your cap, 245 years as manager is one game away from his first ever WS title.
He would have had one on 02 if he knew how to manage a fecking bullpen. Should have left Russ in the game you bastard.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He would have had one on 02 if he knew how to manage a fecking bullpen. Should have left Russ in the game you bastard.
This went right over my head, sorry. My baseball knowledge is limited to the last 3 years. I like going down these baseball rabbit holes though, so will look up the 02 WS and the Giants.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This went right over my head, sorry. My baseball knowledge is limited to the last 3 years. I like going down these baseball rabbit holes though, so will look up the 02 WS and the Giants.
Dusty was the manager of the 02 Giants who lost to the Angels (and their stupid monkey....do yourself a favor and do not google "rally monkey"..) in the world series. In game 6, leading the series 3-2 and leading the game 5-1(!!!) he took Russ Ortiz (the starting pitcher) out of the game in the 7th. Russ had been dealing all game and was pitching fantastically. The bullpen imploded and they lost 6-5 and then lost game 7.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
@WI_Red can hold a baseball grudge regardless how long ago it was.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I was in Philly for Games 1 through 5. As much as I wanted them to win, I'm selfishly sorta glad I'm not missing the party on Broad Street the day or two after I had to come home.

But damn, two championships lost, back to back, on the same day. You didn't even have to change the channel. Brutal.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Incredible scenes. What an unbelievable rookie year for Jeremy Peña. A penny for Correa’s thoughts. Replaced by a rookie kid and Astros didn’t even skip a beat and went all the way.

Buzzing for Dusty. He took over the club at a really low point and looks like he just stabilised everything and helped everyone focus on just playing baseball.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I was in Philly for Games 1 through 5. As much as I wanted them to win, I'm selfishly sorta glad I'm not missing the party on Broad Street the day or two after I had to come home.

But damn, two championships lost, back to back, on the same day. You didn't even have to change the channel. Brutal.
An actual MLS reference on the Caf? That was real heartbreaker too.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
An actual MLS reference on the Caf? That was real heartbreaker too.
It was crushing. It was the first Union, and the first MLS game I've ever watched all the way through, and I was still cranky about it.

At least the Phillies were beaten by a better and more talented team. The Union were the better side for 124 minutes, and then they Philly'd it. fecking Gareth Bale, that part time benchwarming golfer.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What did you guys make of this call? Looked like he moved his elbow into the path of the ball before pulling back at the last minute. Not sure that constitutes as trying to avoid the hit, if you put yourself in harms way to begin with.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
What did you guys make of this call? Looked like he moved his elbow into the path of the ball before pulling back at the last minute. Not sure that constitutes as trying to avoid the hit, if you put yourself in harms way to begin with.

My belief has always been that the batter should have no obligation to get out of the way as long as the ball has entered the batter's box. Conversely, if a batter is hit and his arm/leg/etc. is over the plate it should be an automatic out.

Carolina Red

Staff
Not gonna lie guys… this is a star studded free agent market, and Fenway Sports Group might be about to be absolutely flush with cash.

Someone hurry up and buy Liverpool FC so the Red Sox can create a Dream Team!

Carolina Red

Staff
So… I had a bad habit of putting my free hand on my right knee with the palm kinda facing up.

I caught a foul tip strike 3 because of that one time. Threw down to the 3rd baseman like I meant to do it.

Couldn’t close that hand about an inning later :lol:

edcunited1878

Bat speed and hands. He was extremely hyped at that age and when healthy, aside from maybe 1 year, he's legit. Seeing how the bat releases shows you how much weight is in the barrel and he's not exactly dragging the barrel through the zone....especially at that age. Healthy cuts all things considered - age, bat size/weight, contact sound.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Interesting...

No chance this happens*. He is the Angels first ever homegrown star and this would crater whatever fanbase they have left that is not Ohtani centric…. Speaking of Ohtani, he is on a 1 year contract, and if this happens I don’t see how he doesn’t walk.

*it’s the angels, so it likely happens

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
No chance this happens*. He is the Angels first ever homegrown star and this would crater whatever fanbase they have left that is not Ohtani centric…. Speaking of Ohtani, he is on a 1 year contract, and if this happens I don’t see how he doesn’t walk.

*it’s the angels, so it likely happens
Well, we already know how to handle big name stars. The Manny Ramirez era in Tampa Bay went off without a hitch!