MLB 2022

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Correct call, stupid rule. Runner was barely outside of the running lane so technically could be called out. The first baseman is a total mess here though, he should have been on the outside of the bag waiting for the throw instead of standing on top of it.
I couldn’t figure it out. Thanks for the tutorial.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
What a throw…

Should 100% be in the HoF. His and Posey's stat lines are eerily similar.

WARABHHRBARRBISBOBPSLGOPSOPS+
Posey44.84,9701,5001580.302663729230.3720.460.831129
Munson46.15,3441,5581130.292696701480.3460.410.756116

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
So this was unexpected....I mean losing 12 straight is brutal but Trout and Ohtani going 0-5,00000 is not something a manager can really control.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Correct call? Why / why not?

There are 2 reasons this could be the correct call:

1. Runner Interference: The runner is not allowed to make contact with the catcher if it can be avoided......but...... the catcher is well up the line AND most importantly does not have the ball when contact is made. Runner should have been safe based on intereference.
2. Failure to touch home plate: The runner must touch home plate prior to being tagged to be considered safe.....but......he touched the plate.

Actual reason he was called out: The dumbfeck umpire as looking at the ball and not the runner when he touched the plate.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I got a kid at 3B in my youth days, faked the throw back to the pitcher and the kid stepped off third - tag, you're out. His coach saw what I did and I heard him saying, "Stay on the base. STAY on the base!" Guess it was just instinct or in the moment but he may not have heard it or registered it.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Clearly interference. Right call, necessary rule. You can see the home plate umpire made the call as is his responsibility.
no it’s not, at least not according to rule 6.01(I). By attempting to slide into the plate directly, and not deviating, the runner had a right to initiate contact, just as the catcher had the right to be in the baseline to field the throw. The runner is not obligate to leave the base path to avoid contact as long as he does not lower his shoulder/leap into/etc.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
He wasn't going directly. The runner has to be within the running lane by the last third of the distance to first. He was on the inside when he shouldn't have been.
When contact was made both the catcher and runner were standing on the baseline. I would agree with you had the runner not slid or had aggressively slammed into the catcher. The runner took a normal route to the plate for someone coming around third and did what you are supposed to do, take the shortest path to the plate after making the turn. The catcher came up the line to field the ball after setting up on the plate. Both platers have a right to be where they were, and as long as the runner slides normally. Here is the rule:

(1) A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher, or otherwise initiate an avoidable collision. If, in the judgment of the umpire, a runner attempting to score initiates contact with the catcher in such a manner, the umpire shall declare the runner out (regardless of whether the catcher maintains possession of the ball). In such circumstances, the umpire shall call the ball dead, and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the collision. If the runner slides into the plate in an appropriate manner, he shall not be adjudged to have violated Rule 6.01(i).
Also, under that tweet a guy who claims to be the batter in the play says the ump said afterwards he called the runner out for not touching the plate.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I'm talking about the interference at first base in the running lane. Not sure what you are talking about.
Oh for fecks sake, we are arguing different tweets :lol: :lol:

I agree on the first base one.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It's not baseball and it's not professional sports, but did anyone else catch at least the highlights of the OU ( @Organic Potatoes ) Softball teams run to the national Title? The most dominant college team I have ever seen in any sport, men or women.

Good summary article here if you didn't catch any of the games
Oklahoma Softball Just Put On an Ass-Kicking Clinic for the Ages - The Ringer
You don’t need to know the full context behind these numbers to see that this lady is off the charts good…[edit: apparently you’ll have to click through to twitter to see them]

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not much better than a lazy summer weekend day with baseball on the TV in the background.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I don't know which way is up as far as baseball goes, but how come this wasn't a balk?

Was under the impression you had to take a step towards the base you were throwing to.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I don't know which way is up as far as baseball goes, but how come this wasn't a balk?

Was under the impression you had to take a step towards the base you were throwing to.
That’s what I thought too.

There are more baseball erudite posters on here that can clue us in, I’m sure.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
That’s what I thought too.

There are more baseball erudite posters on here that can clue us in, I’m sure.
My opinion based on being a left handed pitcher 500 years ago and what I was taught:

Woof, this one is super borderline. It’s all about weight transfer once his leg kick hits its apex. In the abstract I think this is a balk as his weight begins falling towards the plate. In reality you would need to compare his weight transfer here vs. when he goes to the plate. If it is the same it is a balk, if not it’s borderline not. The rule boils down to: you can not deceive the runner by aborting a pitching motion to attempt a pickoff.

I could be completely wrong though.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
My opinion based on being a left handed pitcher 500 years ago and what I was taught:

Woof, this one is super borderline. It’s all about weight transfer once his leg kick hits its apex. In the abstract I think this is a balk as his weight begins falling towards the plate. In reality you would need to compare his weight transfer here vs. when he goes to the plate. If it is the same it is a balk, if not it’s borderline not. The rule boils down to: you can not deceive the runner by aborting a pitching motion to attempt a pickoff.

I could be completely wrong though.
Sounds reasonable. That’s what I had been thinking / taught even longer ago than you, once a deliberate move towards home plate occurs from the top of the kick, a throw to home plate needs to happen else it’s a balk.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Only thing better is Vin Scully on the radio on a lazy summer day.
I just gave myself a flashback. I distinctly remember a summer Saturday in 86 or 87. We were on the patio, my dad grilling hot dogs and drinking a beer, me standing nearby with an RC cola, listening to Vin calling a Dodgers/Braves game. That man had a way with words….

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I just gave myself a flashback. I distinctly remember a summer Saturday in 86 or 87. We were on the patio, my dad grilling hot dogs and drinking a beer, me standing nearby with an RC cola, listening to Vin calling a Dodgers/Braves game. That man had a way with words….
Truly did.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.

Btw, have you heard Dodger dogs are no longer made by Farmer John? :(

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Btw, have you heard Dodger dogs are no longer made by Farmer John? :(
A) why make sad in baseball thread :(. Let’s leave it at he had an amazing way with words when painting a picture of the game at hand.
B) yeah, I heard that.

Funny FJ story: it is/was not sold in the southeast, but one day I was in Costco in Birmingham and saw FJ thick cut bacon. Now as an LA native I was instantly transported to Sunday morning breakfast as a kid and the wonders of FJ. I snagged a few packs and excitedly called my wife on the way home to regale her with promises of an amazing breakfast in her future. Long story short it was absolute garbage. Stringy and chemically tasting. Threw all of it out. Oh childhood memories, you are a lying SOB.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
A) why make sad in baseball thread :(. Let’s leave it at he had an amazing way with words when painting a picture of the game at hand.
B) yeah, I heard that.

Funny FJ story: it is/was not sold in the southeast, but one day I was in Costco in Birmingham and saw FJ thick cut bacon. Now as an LA native I was instantly transported to Sunday morning breakfast as a kid and the wonders of FJ. I snagged a few packs and excitedly called my wife on the way home to regale her with promises of an amazing breakfast in her future. Long story short it was absolute garbage. Stringy and chemically tasting. Threw all of it out. Oh childhood memories, you are a lying SOB.
:lol: Nostalgia can be a powerful thing. Never tried their bacon, but I think I've had their sausage links before. Dodger dogs from Dodger Stadium are the only hot dogs I've really liked, the way they're grilled plus the steamed bun is the perfect combo.

As for Vinny, who doesn't love him? You gotta be dead inside if you don't. Here's an excerpt that'll cheer you up from an old Olbermann article:
Legendary is the story of the blustery political commentator who years ago had ‘his people’ advise the Dodgers he wanted to meet Scully because Scully was “number one” in his field. “Everywhere I go, Mr. Scully, I try to meet whoever is Number One because I’m Number One in what I do and it’s important to recognize and salute those of my own stature, and you’re Number One here!” The man bellowed on like this for several moments as the crew in the Dodger booth squirmed. When he finally paused, too impressed with himself to sense Scully’s anger, Scully quietly, politely, and efficiently cut the blowhard into little pieces. “Well then, you’ll want to meet Arthur here, who is our Number One stage manager.” The commentator found himself unwillingly shaking hands. “And of course, you’ll want to meet Debbie, she’s our Number One makeup artist.” Another unhappy handshake. “And Don, our Number One cameraman—who, coincidentally is on Camera Number One.” Again with the handshake. “And in the row behind you, that’s Antonio, our Number One intern…” Witnesses disagree as to how many Numbers One Scully introduced before the man angrily muttered “I gotta go”—but all agreed he was several feet shorter when he went.