MLS 2016

Member 5225

No one else into this?
Chicago vs NYC on Sky Sports 1 now. Hugely entertaining!

ps. Cumon Toronto FC!!

Member 5225

Of the 10 matches being played today only 2 are on readily accessible networks, ESPN and Fox Sports. Hard to grow the league if only limited number of people can watch the league.
oh, what network are they on there?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Toronto win 2-0!
Are you going to the first home game of the season? Can we get a Caf group together for it?

Also, how did our defence perform? Is it better than before? Are there signs that it wouldn't as leaky as it was last season?

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Had an exam so missed the match today, nice to see we kicked it of with a win. Oso looks to finally be playing at CM with the new 433.

Cyle Larin bagged himself a goal and an assist too.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Oso looks to finally be playing at CM with the new 433.
Yup, that's a big plus for me. Vanney learned his lessons from last seasons and seems to have built an improved team. The defence still seems to have spells of shakiness, but I think we look more secure at the back than we did before.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
oh, what network are they on there?
I tried to watch LA Galaxy last night, 3am uk time kick off and a quick look at liveonsat told me the only station in the world broadcasting that game was Abu Dhabi sports, even finding a stream for that is rough going.

Member 5225

Are you going to the first home game of the season? Can we get a Caf group together for it?

Also, how did our defence perform? Is it better than before? Are there signs that it wouldn't as leaky as it was last season?
I'd love to (but am a Londoner). My missus is from Toronto, hence the affiliation.
If/when I emigrate to Toronto we should totally do that!
Defence was ace apparently, based on match reports, I didn't see the game...wasn't on TV (NYC was) :(

Robbie Boy

I didn't realise that De Jong had joined LA Galaxy. They have a very good squad.

MandalaySean

Watched the Portland Timbers game yesterday and it was pretty entertaining. The geezer pulling out a chainsaw and cutting a bit of a tree when they scored was a bit surreal though.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Watched the Portland Timbers game yesterday and it was pretty entertaining. The geezer pulling out a chainsaw and cutting a bit of a tree when they scored was a bit surreal though.
Timber Joey, I love it, something unique and American.

The scorer keeps the round of timber, btw, and one is cut for the goalie should they keep a clean sheet.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
NYCFC vs. TFC's going to start soon, and here are the lineups.

I'm kind of doubting the decision to field Osorio in a wide role, but I guess he's more familiar with that than Delgado. Still, though, I'd prefer Osorio in midfield as his passing and control from there is better than Marky, IMO, and Marky would be better in a more free role, IMO. I look forward to watching Endoh for the first time after some rave reviews from his performance in the first match of the season.

Will Johnson is another one I look forward to. He's really fixed our midfield problem defensively from what I've heard, adding more energy to the team than Cheyrou. Morrow at right back is still annoying, but I guess Vanney's stubborn about that, so that might not change for some time. At least we're not using Jackson there, so that's something.

Looking at NYCFC, our midfield should dominate theirs. We have more energy in our team, so we really should take control of match. Giovinco, Endoh, and Osorio should fare well against that back 3 particularly with Marky drifting around as well causing havoc. Villa will be a concern, of course, but as long as we keep the ball away from them, we should be good.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Delgado's been invisible in our midfield so far. I'd prefer Osorio in that midfield role to get more control over the match.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
how do you rate Bradley?
He's a good box-to-box midfielder who's good at supporting the attack and defence. He's no good at being the anchor man or attacking midfielder, but as a box-to-box midfielder, he provides energy, bite, and good-enough passing to facilitate attacks and get the dangerous players involved. He does make good runs forward as well as a box-to-box midfielder.

I don't know why Vanney's playing him as the deepest midfielder when he's so poor positionally. It's like playing Gerrard as the deepest midfielder: it's quite risky. He's gotten dragged around way too easily today against NYCFC, letting Villa and Diskerud get open too often. I'd prefer if he switches the role with Will Johnson and get forward more often because Will's been too poor on the ball.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Delgado and Johnson in midfield have disappointed me. Both have played the long ball way too often and quickly with no control or patience in their game. Giovinco, Endoh, and Osorio have gotten little time on the ball because of Johnson and Delgado.

We really need to fix up our midfield. Get Bradley into Johnson's role. Make Johnson the anchor man, or get Cheyrou in for him. Get Delgado out and bring in Babbouli for him to play on the left wing whilst Osorio plays in midfield.

By the way, @limerickcitykid, what do you know about Jordan Hamilton? How talented is he? Can he be useful for us this season, or should we be more patient with him?

Member 5225

We're still in this thanks to the goal just before HT.
Cumon Trrrrono!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Oh, and screw Villa for that stupid handball goal. And seeing Vieira on the touchline just makes me really want to see NYCFC get beaten; I won't stand for that fool getting a win over us.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
He's a good box-to-box midfielder who's good at supporting the attack and defence. He's no good at being the anchor man or attacking midfielder, but as a box-to-box midfielder, he provides energy, bite, and good-enough passing to facilitate attacks and get the dangerous players involved. He does make good runs forward as well as a box-to-box midfielder.

I don't know why Vanney's playing him as the deepest midfielder when he's so poor positionally. It's like playing Gerrard as the deepest midfielder: it's quite risky. He's gotten dragged around way too easily today against NYCFC, letting Villa and Diskerud get open too often. I'd prefer if he switches the role with Will Johnson and get forward more often because Will's been too poor on the ball.
Cheers, was thinking he was way too much of a hound dog to sit as a holding mid.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Someone get that referee some glasses. I can't believe he's being so lenient with NYCFC. He's probably blinded by the shiny names in their team.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Osorio's done such a good job at winning the ball in the exact same area where Delgado should be. Why isn't Osorio playing in midfield? Vanney, why do you baffle me so?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Looks like Vanney has changed to a diamond setup and looking to purely play on the counter by the looks of things. Yet another strange decision...