MLS 2016

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I wouldn't even have a single clue what Steven Caldwell looks like. Despite living in the States, and running a football facility, I still don't know a single person that watches MLS.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'm right next to the stadium with our balcony door open, and we are hearing everything from the BMO Field right now. The atmosphere seems to be really rocking there.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'm right next to the stadium with our balcony door open, and we are hearing everything from the BMO Field right now. The atmosphere seems to be really rocking there.
You live in one of the apartments just across from BMO? Sweet spot. My friends are season ticket holders and they said the place was rocking last week.

fecking Vancouver just scored.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Yeah, and they even scored 4 times against us with 1 man less. :annoyed:

So much for our "improved defence" and "improved team". I honestly don't see any difference in our team to last season. We're just going to make the playoffs barely once again and get knocked out early on.

Oh, and I got a ticket to watch the match against NYCFC on Wednesday. Hopefully we get a decent win against them.

EDIT: Man, Beitashour is a joke! I'd honestly rather have Jackson back there than play Beitashour. How did we get worse at the right back position?

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Any Torontonians around who'll be attending the NYCFC match on Wednesday? We can possibly have a Caf meetup at the BMO Field if you guys will be about.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
So...that was a drab match, overall. Poor quality from both sides for the majority of the game with our starters looking fatigued throughout the match. What is even stranger is that Cannot didn't make a single substitution until the last minute of the match even though many of our players were obviously tired.

Giovinco struggled to assert himself as one of the wide forwards. Endoh was rarely involved as a #10. Bradley was being all Stevie Me except without the quality in his game. Chapman looked lost and was poor all around. We were never able to win with such a jaded squad. Vanney did a bad job managing the team this match, not even bothering to make a single meaningful sub this match. NYC are so poor as well, and we barely tested them.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

I've never seen a good game of football involving NYCFC, always just turns into a big clusterfeck of shit play and trying to tackle hard.

I think I've said it before but Babouli is shit. Chapman is like a shittier Kyle Bekker.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I've never seen a good game of football involving NYCFC, always just turns into a big clusterfeck of shit play and trying to tackle hard.

I think I've said it before but Babouli is shit. Chapman is like a shittier Kyle Bekker.
Yup, that's what it's been like every time I've seen NYCFC and TFC play together.

Surprisingly, whilst Babouli was being Babouli, he was one of our best players, putting in some good deliveries from the right side. His dribbling and touches, though, are still poor for a winger, and I have no idea what convinced our coaching staff that he was good enough for us. Chapman, whilst he is still somewhat young (22), doesn't show any sort of potential ability of any kind. Honestly, he pretty much is a worse Kyle Bekker.

I'm disappointed in how both Giovinco and Endoh are being used by Vanney. He really has no idea how to properly use those two. For some reason, he keeps switching them around between #10 and wide forward roles. I'm honestly not even sure Vanney knows what he's doing at times with this team. He's too dependent on a big target man leading the team and is desperate for someone like Altidore who's once again injured for a long time. Beyond him, I don't think we have any viable options for the target man role.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: our fanbase is horrible. I feel like our fans don't appreciate the matches they go to and treat them like a theatre performance, just sitting down quietly, doing nothing, and not showing any support at all. I tried to create some sort of an atmosphere, but it seems like it's impossible unless you're at the South Stand. Why is it that most of these fans watch TFC if all they do is sit down and treat it like a stage performance or a casual night out with friends?

Again, if there are any Torontonians from the Caf who go to watch TFC, we can have a bit of a meetup if you lot aren't with your own bunch of friends. It gets tough watching matches alone when no one else wants to interact with you in any way.

Member 5225

You live in one of the apartments just across from BMO? Sweet spot. My friends are season ticket holders and they said the place was rocking last week.

Any Torontonians around who'll be attending the NYCFC match on Wednesday? We can possibly have a Caf meetup at the BMO Field if you guys will be about.
Woah, good to see a few torontonians here.
I shall, once I move to Trrrono (soon!) :drool:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
So...that was frustrating. How we didn't beat the Crew, I have no clue.

Our midfield is a shambles. Bradley doesn't work at all as the anchor man. Will Johnson is too limited in his game to be useful. He never covers for Bradley and is too often caught out of position or unaware of his surroundings. Same with Bradley. Having two players of the exact same style in our midfield is not working well at all and is making our midfield too porous. Chapman is really poor and is not showing anything in his wide midfield role. He shouldn't play in the first team for us as he brings nothing to the table. His touches are poor, his vision is limited, and his positioning and movement is akin to a lost traveler in the jungle.

I still can't believe that our attack can become this bad. Last season, our players looked like they gelled, and we were scoring lots of goals. This time, we struggle to create chances let alone score goals. It's a relief that our defenders have improved, overall. Zavaleta has to be our first defender. Williams had a much better game than last time, but I still don't feel that he and Moor are good enough for us. At the moment, Perquis and Zavaleta is our best choice. Our full backs, though...man, they are poor going forward. The diamond setup requires wing backs who are very good going forward, but Beitashour and Morrow are anything but that. I'd rather see Lovitz play as the left wing back and offer the width than Morrow currently. Too bad we have no other right back options, though. Beitashour is so bad defensively as well as going forward. Morrow's slightly better defensively, but he's still not good enough for us.

Giovinco's struggled in his last two performances. He's been isolated way too often, and his teammates don't seem to be on the same wavelength as him. Still, it doesn't excuse the fact that his finishing hasn't been good in the past couple of games. I just hope that this recent spell doesn't go on for too long. Also, I hope that his teammates start to work better with him and not make him become too individualistic.

pillory

Hats off to New York Manchester City for celebrating United's cup win by losing 7-0 at home to their local rivals.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Just a horrendous league. Full of has beens and never wases. Only of interest from a market penetration perspective. Even fecking Americans don't watch it.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
With another loss last night, Sporting have only won 1 of their last 10 games I believe. They play a lot like United, tons of possession but get hit on the counter and set pieces easily.

I don't think this is as great a prize as Sky Sports thinks it is...

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
With another loss last night, Sporting have only won 1 of their last 10 games I believe. They play a lot like United, tons of possession but get hit on the counter and set pieces easily.
And here I thought TFC were doing badly. :lol:

I just hope that Vanney learns from the last two games and changes things up for the next set of matches. We cannot to be stale in attack anymore. Yeah, our defence is improved, but we're so void of ideas when we go forward. There's too much of a reliance on Giovinco to bail us out, and the opposition know it and double/triple-team him.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Sack Vanney. He doesn't know how to manage a team that's supposed to make the playoff positions let alone challenge for the MLS Cup.

I mean...Lovitz as our #10? What are you thinking?!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Canada cup
FFS, we conceded 2 against Montreal who were playing with 10 men.
Final score 4 2 for TFC.
Were you at BMO Field? That place was rocking tonight! Such a good atmosphere.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if we conceded 2. We almost always score against Montréal, so I'm pretty confident about our chances. If Vanney realises that this current midfield is the best one for us with a proper striker up front, we have an excellent chance of scoring goals.

Reckless Full Back

Doesn't get forward much
Were you at BMO Field? That place was rocking tonight! Such a good atmosphere.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if we conceded 2. We almost always score against Montréal, so I'm pretty confident about our chances. If Vanney realises that this current midfield is the best one for us with a proper striker up front, we have an excellent chance of scoring goals.
No I only caught the end of the first half and the last 30 mins. Were you there? The atmosphere did look good from TV.
Commentary on TSN mentioned away goal qualified Montreal last year, that's why I was a bit concerned about conceding those 2 goals. I just looked it up and, TFC played Montreal at home and won the 2nd leg 3-2, but Montreal had won the 1st leg 1-0.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
No I only caught the end of the first half and the last 30 mins. Were you there? The atmosphere did look good from TV.
Commentary on TSN mentioned away goal qualified Montreal last year, that's why I was a bit concerned about conceding those 2 goals. I just looked it up and, TFC played Montreal at home and won the 2nd leg 3-2, but Montreal had won the 1st leg 1-0.
For sure, the atmosphere was insane. It's been a while since we've seen a good TFC performance, so of course, the crowd reacted excellently to the team's great performance. I was there too for last year's 2nd leg, and the atmosphere was really good at that time as well.

I feel more confident about our defence than last season. That's why I'm not too worried about the 2nd leg. Plus, we can always score goals, and if Vanney keeps to his senses and plays a 4-2-3-1 with Cheyrou and another midfield partner, we should be set.

We'll see, though. Vanney is really unpredictable and makes some mind-boggling decisions almost every time. Heck, even this lineup was surprising given how Vanney's set up his teams for the whole season.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Everyone's thoughts on the future of the league with Garber talking about expanding to 28 clubs by 2020.

I don't care for the unbalanced schedule and division alignments. I'd much rather split the league into two conferences (keep East, West) when it further expands but the clubs playing solely within their conference for league play, and perhaps introduce a League Cup so the clubs can play inter-conference matches. Keep the current playoff system with the conference winners playing for the MLS Cup but with fewer playoff spots (say four per conference). Having half of the clubs in the postseason is a farce. Renders the regular season meaningless.

The other option would be to create a MLS2 and introduce a promotion/relegation but the way the American sporting brain thinks this will never occur.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The defence of New York City FC is so shit :lol:
And yet we couldn't score against them in our recent home game. :lol:

Everyone's thoughts on the future of the league with Garber talking about expanding to 28 clubs by 2020.

I don't care for the unbalanced schedule and division alignments. I'd much rather split the league into two conferences (keep East, West) when it further expands but the clubs playing solely within their conference for league play, and perhaps introduce a League Cup so the clubs can play inter-conference matches. Keep the current playoff system with the conference winners playing for the MLS Cup but with fewer playoff spots (say four per conference). Having half of the clubs in the postseason is a farce. Renders the regular season meaningless.

The other option would be to create a MLS2 and introduce a promotion/relegation but the way the American sporting brain thinks this will never occur.
That's what Garber wants. He wants more teams to come in order to leech more off of the fans. He's trying to exploit us for as long as possible under he can no longer leech off of us anymore, and then, he'll try to improve the MLS and bring better changes to it. For now, though, he'll want to keep the status quo and maintain this level in the sport whilst getting in more of the old stars in order to exploit their star power.

limerickcitykid

Where will you be at?

I couldn't get the tickets in time as all of the reasonable options were gone by then.
Not sure, I'm getting them off of a mate but I don't know if they are his or if he is getting them from someone else. If they are his, they will be in the second tier SW (I think), the fan section is just to the right.

Edit: I'll be in section 116 which is the supporters section so it should be rocking.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

So TFC won 1-0 against the Galaxy, and from the highlights, it seemed like a flare was lit as well.

@limerickcitykid How did the match go? How did Cheyrou, Hamilton, Osorio, and Endoh perform?
It was good, the place was rocking, although the chants aren't the greatest.

The match was quite drab, not many moments of note. Oso dribbled out of tights spaces a couple of times which was easy on the eyes but not much influential, Hamilton barely touched the ball, Endoh drifted through the game like most of the players, and Cheyrou was decent without doing anything spectacular in the middle of the park. Was quite a slow and laboured game overall. Most players were too afraid to have a shot outside of the box, everything went out wide right for a cross.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It was good, the place was rocking, although the chants aren't the greatest.

The match was quite drab, not many moments of note. Oso dribbled out of tights spaces a couple of times which was easy on the eyes but not much influential, Hamilton barely touched the ball, Endoh drifted through the game like most of the players, and Cheyrou was decent without doing anything spectacular in the middle of the park. Was quite a slow and laboured game overall. Most players were too afraid to have a shot outside of the box, everything went out wide right for a cross.
Yeah, the stats do reflect what you say. We seemed to play on the back foot for much of the match (right?), which seems fair given that our MLS form has been poor, recently.

limerickcitykid

Yeah, the stats do reflect what you say. We seemed to play on the back foot for much of the match (right?), which seems fair given that our MLS form has been poor, recently.
Yeah, LA held a lot of possession, especially in the first half. We got hold of it a bit more in the later stages of the game with the right flank opening up and Beitashour getting forward. Just not much came of it. It was definitely good to just come away with the 3 points from an all around poor match.