MLS 2016

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
After the horribly unfair loss against Orlando, we need to bounce back, but the match against the Sounders will be very difficult. Still, we don't have Bradley and Johnson stinking up our midfield, but Vanney needs to stop playing a strikerless diamond setup. He needs to put Hamilton up front and play a 4-2-3-1.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Watching NYC vs NY Red Bulls atm.
Tis the 1st time I've seen NYC score so was interested to see if Lampard and Pirlo would celebrate, or are they there just to fulfill contract terms. Cynical me I suppose.
Well, it turns out that they were right in the middle of the goal celebrations.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I honestly thought that we should have won the match against the Sounders yesterday. Even with a squad as small as ours, we still should have done better against an average Sounders team.

The way we conceded so quickly against them right after we scored might have thrown out the confidence the team was developing. Still, though, we should have had a second goal, and it's disappointing to see that we were unable to get that. Our players gave their all to get us back on track in the MLS, with even players like Chapman having a surprisingly decent performance, but we really missed having a decent left back in our side, with Bloom being very bad going forward and in his defending. Perquis and Zavaleta were, as usual, very good bar the one moment when they slept. Delgado and Chapman provided energy in the midfield, and Delgado in particular was good at covering up the gaps, but we really missed Cheyrou's passing in the first half.

Having a proper striker really helps TFC go forward. Hamilton has done very well since he got into the team, and Giovinco greatly benefits from that as well. I'm still annoyed that Vanney is playing Endoh as anything but a forward, and I only hope that he somehow stumbles on the fact that Endoh is a forward and not an attacking midfielder. If only Giovinco and Endoh switched roles...

Still, it seems like TFC are just happy to be in the playoffs at the moment and not worried about actually trying to win it yet. Baby steps, I suppose, but we really do have the quality to go all the way to the finals, at least...We just need a better coach to better manage the team.

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I watched about 20 minutes of amateurs and retirees run around for NYCFC and NYRB on a baseball field, before I got bored and switched over to the Austrian Grand Prix.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Lampard just scored a 90 minute winner on a night where he was honoured for scoring 300 career goals, brace in the last 7 minutes. Has 11 goals in 13 starts since being labelled the worst signing in MLS history.

Top 5 CM of all time easily. In terms of both longevity & peak.

Bogart-er

Supports
Arsenal
Thinking of going to a NYC FC game in the coming days. If anybody has been there before, could you please recommend where to get the seats as in which stand would give me the best viewing experience? Thanks in advance!

AmeriRed

meh, Dempsey > Donovan.
All personal preference. I know many, including Americans, don't appreciate Donovan, but he has always been my favorite player. I will excitedly watch Donovan jog around for 25 min for 6 games.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Toronto FC are the first team to qualify for the playoffs this season. Considering the fact that we have such a poorly-built squad and an inept manager, it's actually amazing that we've done so well this season (okay, I'll give credit to Vanney for making us better-organized, defensively, but his tactics, team selections, transfers, and match management are all still quite poor).

The match itself was also quite tense. We were so poor in the first half, and the only reason we got going in the second half was because NYRB invited pressure on themselves whilst Altidore bailed us out with his individual quality.

Still though, who am I to complain? We're in the playoffs!!!

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Toronto FC are the first team to qualify for the playoffs this season. Considering the fact that we have such a poorly-built squad and an inept manager, it's actually amazing that we've done so well this season (okay, I'll give credit to Vanney for making us better-organized, defensively, but his tactics, team selections, transfers, and match management are all still quite poor).

The match itself was also quite tense. We were so poor in the first half, and the only reason we got going in the second half was because NYRB invited pressure on themselves whilst Altidore bailed us out with his individual quality.

Still though, who am I to complain? We're in the playoffs!!!
Never thought I'd hear 'Altidore' and 'quality' in the same sentence.

AmeriRed

Tata Martino has signed to be Atlanta United's manager for their expansion/first season next year. Pretty good get for MLS.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The match was pretty much "meh". The atmosphere was pretty much "meh" too (I tried my best with my buddies to get it going in 112, but no one else was interested, which is shocking to say the least).

We should have won that match, but our poor finishing and indecisiveness cost us in the final third. Orlando were there for the taking, and were it not for a stupid red card on Ricketts that put us down to 10 men, we would have probably nicked a goal in the end.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The last few games have all been on SN360 which I don't have so I've missed them. Ricketts sent off, fecking hate him. Who the feck is Armando Cooper, any good? Still top of the conference.

Member 5225

The last few games have all been on SN360 which I don't have so I've missed them. Ricketts sent off, fecking hate him. Who the feck is Armando Cooper, any good? Still top of the conference.
Cooper did ok I thought - one of the better players IMO

Member 5225

The match was pretty much "meh". The atmosphere was pretty much "meh" too (I tried my best with my buddies to get it going in 112, but no one else was interested, which is shocking to say the least).

We should have won that match, but our poor finishing and indecisiveness cost us in the final third. Orlando were there for the taking, and were it not for a stupid red card on Ricketts that put us down to 10 men, we would have probably nicked a goal in the end.
I meant meh re the game.
Sorry was in 217 (out with the missus all day beforehand, made it just in time). Why was it so empty? Baseball related? Does that happen often?

Member 5225

Went to the Hockey World Cup final (game 2) tonight which was ace!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Ricketts was one of our better players going forward as he stretched Orlando's defence and kept them pegged back. Also, he was sent off quite unfairly, too, for an apparent "high boot".

Armando Cooper is a Panamanian winger/attacking midfielder who played in the Copa America Centenario. He is a good tricky player who has great ball control and decision-making. However, ever since he came here, Vanney has been playing him in a wide midfielder's role, which leaves him too deep to be truly influential. He does track back excellently, however, and has a good attitude as well.

If we played a 4-3-3, Cooper would be perfect on our left side cutting in to great effect.

I meant meh re the game.
Yup, I was saying that in agreement with you.
Sorry was in 217 (out with the missus all day beforehand, made it just in time). Why was it so empty? Baseball related? Does that happen often?
Midweek games are like that in the BMO Field. Not enough want to come and watch TFC when it is midweek. Most of the spectators, if I am correct, come from outside downtown, which can explain why the stadium was more empty + the atmosphere more quiet.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Omg omg omg Toronto FC smashing it! NYC next! :devil:
Man, the stadium was insane yesterday! I thought that, because it was midweek, the atmosphere would not be so wild, but my God, it was nuts! Everybody was so pumped up and hyped, and there was so much noise throughout the stadium. I've never seen the BMO Field like it was yesterday!

I wish I recorded some video clips so that I could have posted them on the Caf, but oh well. Sunday's going to be so hype!

On the match, the back 5 setup seems to be perfect for us. Bradley can now play his natural game without worrying about opening up the gaps, and this resulted in a much better performance from him. Our wing backs now do not have to worry about the gaps they leave when going forward, and we now see them perform with much more confidence than they used to. This back 5 setup seems to benefit everyone in our team, and I'm hoping that we stick to this as it will give us a strong chance of winning the MLS Cup.

For a city like Toronto with such a big footballing heritage (Eusebio and Bettega both played for Toronto Metros-Croatia and Blizzard, respectively, with Eusebio winning the NASL!), we really deserve to be up there as an elite MLS club.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
So...is anyone else from the Caf going to watch the semis of the Eastern Conference? TFC vs. NYCFC will be a cracking game. Quality attacks from both sides and not so good defences of either side should result in lots of goals.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
WOOOOO!!!!!
Yussssssssss
Indeed. The 2-0 win leaves Toronto in an excellent position for the 2nd leg. NYC now have to score 3 goals to beat us, and if we score least 1 goal, they then they have to score 4.

The best part about that match was how we pretty much stifled NYC's attack. I haven't seen Villa, Lampard, and co. get this frustrated in a long time. We really got into their heads and unsettled them, and that's great to see. Our defence was immense on the day with Zavaleta being a proper wall. Hagglund, as limited as he is, has settled excellently into the left central defence role, and Moor looks more comfortable staying int he middle and not ever having to come out to the flanks. This back 3 setup is also greatly benefiting Beitashour and Morrow as well, both of whom now feel more comfortable pushing up and attacking the flanks.

In the midfield, with this back 3 setup, Bradley has been a revelation. The back 3 now allows him to press and close down players and not worry so much about the gaps that can open up. His ball-winning qualities are now coming to the fore, and the setup is also allowing him to be more confident on the ball, with his passing being more precise, direct, and composed. Cooper has been a revelation on that right wide midfield role. His dribbling, control, and passing has caused so many problems for the opposition, and his discipline has also been quite beneficial to us off the ball with his tracking back and defending making us more solid.

Overall, Vanney has found the best setup for our side at the right time. We look solid and well-organized at the back, and going forward, we always look threatening.

Member 5225

Indeed. The 2-0 win leaves Toronto in an excellent position for the 2nd leg. NYC now have to score 3 goals to beat us, and if we score least 1 goal, they then they have to score 4.

The best part about that match was how we pretty much stifled NYC's attack. I haven't seen Villa, Lampard, and co. get this frustrated in a long time. We really got into their heads and unsettled them, and that's great to see. Our defence was immense on the day with Zavaleta being a proper wall. Hagglund, as limited as he is, has settled excellently into the left central defence role, and Moor looks more comfortable staying int he middle and not ever having to come out to the flanks. This back 3 setup is also greatly benefiting Beitashour and Morrow as well, both of whom now feel more comfortable pushing up and attacking the flanks.

In the midfield, with this back 3 setup, Bradley has been a revelation. The back 3 now allows him to press and close down players and not worry so much about the gaps that can open up. His ball-winning qualities are now coming to the fore, and the setup is also allowing him to be more confident on the ball, with his passing being more precise, direct, and composed. Cooper has been a revelation on that right wide midfield role. His dribbling, control, and passing has caused so many problems for the opposition, and his discipline has also been quite beneficial to us off the ball with his tracking back and defending making us more solid.

Overall, Vanney has found the best setup for our side at the right time. We look solid and well-organized at the back, and going forward, we always look threatening.
Agreed, was (and have been) particularly impressed by Bradley. A proper captain's performance I thought - stuck in, committed, controlled the pace and flow so well. No wonder he's been linked to SerieA this Jan :(

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Agreed, was (and have been) particularly impressed by Bradley. A proper captain's performance I thought - stuck in, committed, controlled the pace and flow so well. No wonder he's been linked to SerieA this Jan :(
To be fair, I wouldn't mind if he really goes. He's had too many performances this season where he's been a liability, and he needs a setup that allows him to close down and press players without having to worry about the gaps he opens up. In contrast to that, Marky Delgado is much better in that role as he at least reads the game better and has better positional discipline than Bradley. Plus, Bradley's getting towards this 30's anyways; his all-action style of play will start to deteriorate in a few years. In contrast to that, Delgado's 21, and he has several years ahead of him.

You know who I wouldn't mind bringing into TFC in January? Scott Arfield. Yeah, he's playing regularly for Burnley, but I honestly see him coming here on January or even next season if Burnley get relegated again.