MNF with Pochettino

keithsingleton

This is hilarious, almost as if you're making excuses for Poch who's 'worse tally' is something you'd accept but at the same time would chase Ole out of the club for......

Ole:

2018/2019 - 6th - 66
2019/2020 - 3rd - 66

RedCafe's hard-on for Poch is like the girl you have a huge crush for years. Your current girlfriend is cute but to you she's not as cute as the girl next door who is more or less the same as your current girlfriend (on face value) - so you toy with the idea of breaking up with her.....but in actual reality there's no reason to break up with your current girlfriend because you've gone through a rough patch a few times. The high times have been great but it's getting rough again and you can't be bothered anymore.....
What's hilarious is your stupid reply with the girlfriend quote.

Excuses not needed, it's plain to see Levy wouldn't give him the money that United would. Under those circumstances Poch did really well and deserves his chance.

The longer we keep Ole the bigger the frustration we have waiting for the inevitable.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

Excuses not needed, it's plain to see Levy wouldn't give him the money that United would. Under those circumstances Poch did really well and deserves his chance.

The longer we keep Ole the bigger the frustration we have waiting for the inevitable.
Yet this place screamed that the Glazers weren't backing Ole when we had a sub-par summer transfer window.

What makes you so confident that we would give Poch the money when we seemingly were tight with the money with a club legend in Ole. If they won't give Ole the money, why would they give Poch. Come on now.....

Maccataq

Who the feck says this I never understand it. DoF isn't some sort of cheer leading role
To be fair, under Woodward, it probably would be!

I don't get it either - I think people fundamentally misunderstand the role. Sure Ole knows what it means to play for Utd and the standards required / the pressure and expectation but he has zero experience. If we are serious about the role, they we should be bringing in someone of high caliber to do it. Fundamentally, we need someone who has contacts and knows the transfer market inside out and shares the same footballing philosophy (or at least knows the type of players to make it work). To appoint Ole would stink of sentimentality - I love Ole but it's not the right decision to make. The only man who could have been moved up into that role was SAF as he was basically doing it anyway.

I don't see it happening anytime soon but sure as night follows day, come February 1st, there will be a press briefing about our search continuing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yet this place screamed that the Glazers weren't backing Ole when we had a sub-par summer transfer window.

What makes you so confident that we would give Poch the money when we seemingly were tight with the money with a club legend in Ole. If they won't give Ole the money, why would they give Poch. Come on now.....
We've given every manager a lot of money to spend since Moyes left. LVG/Jose/Ole have all had 200m+ toward additions to improving the squad. If they are incapable of propelling the club after 2 years in the role the consistency we've seen is that they get the sack.
The insinuation is that Poch would do better with a more flexible budget to spend, which of course is nothing more than an educated guess. But it's built on a few factors which are hard to disagree with such as 1) He kept Spurs relevant in top 3/4 for around 4 seasons and 2) He's more proven than Ole is.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I don't know if Poch is the man to take us closer to where we want to be (my opinion is that he might be) but I just wish we make a decision on doing something rather than waiting until top 4 is gone. This is a weird season and no runaway teams yet so it can all be salvaged.

To me it just feels like Poch is a manager and Ole is a fan that won a competition.

dal

Ole finished 3rd last season after going half the season without a creative midfielder, give him at least this season ffs.

The start hasn’t helped, losing 3 Prem games already and there already feels like theres a lot of pressure on the Everton game.

However he did the seemingly impossible last year after January and has started well in the champions league this year.

I believe Palace and Spurs were anomalies due to fitness and a red card.

We shouldn’t be losing at home against anyone so the arsenal game I feel is a bad loss but it’s not the end of the world.

We need to react and I believe we will. Need two wins now in the next two games. I’d kill for a scrappy 1-0 against Everton.

Wilt

Ole finished 3rd last season after going half the season without a creative midfielder, give him at least this season ffs.

The start hasn’t helped, losing 3 Prem games already and there already feels like theres a lot of pressure on the Everton game.

However he did the seemingly impossible last year after January and has started well in the champions league this year.

We shouldn’t be losing at home against anyone so the arsenal game I feel is a bad loss but it’s not the end of the world.

We need to react and I believe we will. Need two wins now in the next two games. I’d kill for a scrappy 1-0 against Everton.
TBF it should be 4 ...Brighton were completely robbed

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Making Ole our DOF is a stupid idea but its a stupid idea United would consider.

Wouldn't need to give Ole a big severance package. Just say he's been "promoted".

stevoc

I don't disagree - I merely disagree that it's comparable to Jose's time here. He did a far better job at Spurs than Mourinho at Utd.
That I don’t necessarily disagree with mate there’s definitely a debate to be had there at the very least. Though far better is probably a stretch.

But i‘m not sure moving spurs 2-3 places up the league is enough evidence to suggest he could turn United around and get us winning titles again.

Caesar2290

That I don’t necessarily disagree with mate there’s definitely a debate to be had there at the very least. Though far better is probably a stretch.

But i‘m not sure moving spurs 2-3 places up the league is enough evidence to suggest he could turn United around and get us winning titles again.
At this point who can turn us around?

Only Pep, Klopp and maybe Zidane. Though Pep would need 1/2 billion investment, so even that's not a guarantee.

Everyone else is a gamble. So might as well get someone young and hungry. Aside from Poch, only Rose, Ten Hag and Hasenhuthl fit the bill.

BlahRules

I agree Pochettino will have more backing than he had from Levy. People forget that Levy needed to back Pochettino during the 2018 summer transfer window and they made a symbolic history that window for not signing anyone during that window but he still got the team in the UCL and final of the UCL.

Further, Pochettino said many times he is not the manager that deals with transfer or has any influence on signing players - he is a coach and his role is to get the best out of the players which he has shown throughout his managerial career. https://www.skysports.com/football/...nsfers-maybe-spurs-should-change-my-job-title

Furthermore, Pochettino last season shown that he was involved in the transfer window and signed N'dombele and Le Celso who I rate very highly believe these signings will help them to challenge for the title and UCL. The added factor is that he also wanted Bruno and tried to sign him also which shows he has plans in how he would play him.

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-new...-through-his-mind-when-pochettino-was-sacked/

https://www.goal.com/en/news/pochet...le-explains-record/1wwzivks03vu510g20pvvwofxx

ShinjiNinja26

The same thing will happen that always happens with Utd and managers. We will wait until things really go tits up before pulling the trigger on Ole or top 4 is mathematically gone, by that time Poch has taken a job elsewhere and we’re stuck in limbo again looking for 2nd or 3rd choice managers. This is assuming of course Poch is our 1st choice which looks to be the case at the moment.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

So would I because it's the kind of game that we'll drop points usually.

OleTheGreat

I definitely shared this same sentiment when Pep was being quite cryptic about his long term future with City as he'd be a natural successor there.

That seems to be out of the question for now but I still am a bit anxious over the possibility he goes somewhere else like Barca before we even make an approach.

Still think we'll stick with Ole unless things really don't change in the league over the last few weeks of the year. Our strong start to the CL season has bought him some time in my eyes, a lot more than 2 weeks back when we were in complete shite form
He will not take the job at Barca and he didn't because he has a history with Espanyol. They're rival clubs.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Once again you talk as if Pochettino managed Spurs for only a few - terrible - months and was quickly ousted. He was there for several good years previously. Yes, things soured and he left - it happens a lot with managers, good and great. There aren't any Ferguson's around. Klopp's last season with Dortmund wasn't good. So?

"Not good enough for Spurs" my arse. He was terrific for them.
Several good years and achieved what? Qualified for the CL? Ole did that in his first full season in charge and he's not good enough for you all either.

Fair enough getting rid of Ole if there's somebody world class waiting in the wings. Is Poch that man though? Spurs didnt think he was and went for Jose of all people. That should speak volumes that they went for Jose.

Josh 76

I love how football fans like to change history. Roll back about 12 to 13 months and loads of Spurs fans were calling for Poch's head. They just had a really a poor start to the PL and were getting embarrassed in the CL. Bayern scored 7 on their own patch.

Not good enough for Spurs and not trusted to be the man to finally win them a trophy but he's good enough for us which is a much much tougher job???

Rather stick with Ole.
Some Dortmound fans were calling for Klopp to be replaced in his last year.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Some Dortmound fans were calling for Klopp to be replaced in his last year.
True but he had at least won cups and league titles.

Are we all prepared to go from Ole to another manager who doesn't really have the credentials either? What will you all be saying in 2 to 3 years time when we're back at square one?

Taking away your opinions on ole for a second....hand on heart do you think Poch working under Woodward is going to deliver us the league title? I don't.

GMoore23

Sky really stirring shit as usual. Would he have been on the show if we'd beaten Arsenal??

Posh Red

Are we all prepared to go from Ole to another manager who doesn't really have the credentials either? What will you all be saying in 2 to 3 years time when we're back at square one?

Taking away your opinions on ole for a second....hand on heart do you think Poch working under Woodward is going to deliver us the league title? I don't.
Who do you think will win us the league title though?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I can see that there's mixed reactions towards Poch but what are the thoughts in terms of who's the better manager Poch or Ole?
Should the criteria for next manager not be who is going to take us back to winning major titles rather than who might be better than Ole though? You could argue that Brendan Rogers with the finances we have would do better than Ole has managed but doesn't mean he should be the United manager either.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian

Out of curiosity, whose your pick?

Amir

Several good years and achieved what? Qualified for the CL? Ole did that in his first full season in charge and he's not good enough for you all either.
Are we really gonna put the same expectations we have from a United manager on a Spurs manager?

Fair enough getting rid of Ole if there's somebody world class waiting in the wings. Is Poch that man though? Spurs didnt think he was and went for Jose of all people. That should speak volumes that they went for Jose.
Well, you could say that if they went for Jose, it might mean we are run by idiots who were wrong to sack him just as they were wrong to appoint Solskjaer...

No, I don't think we were wrong to sack Mourinho. But the fact Pochettino left Spurs after five and a half years or the identity of his replacement are hardly an indictment against him.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Who do you think will win us the league title though?
I don't know. I don't think either Poch or Ole will personally unless there's big changes in the way this club is ran. So I just don't see the point of sacking Ole, paying him off and starting the process all over again, which puts us back another 18 months to 2 years, unless you are confident he's the man to win titles.

I could understand if Pep or Klopp was waiting in the wings. But the man everyone seems to want....Spurs didn't trust to even with a carabao cup for them. That should tell us what we need to know.

OleTheGreat

I like Poch because he was a way with his players. He pushes his players to the extreme although I personally don't see that as the problem with United. Half the players in this team do not actually put in the shift week in week out. We have flair players who think too much of themselves and Ole hasn't been the manager who kicks a player out of the team and says you're bad and you won't be back until you work hard. The right place for Pogba in this team right now is the bench. Matic and Mctominay are not good enough. Matic was a better player than what we see now but he's aging and we cannot blame him for that. Mctominay has to learn a lot, he's just dodgy. Fred is good but he also needs support from a proper DM. We need to buy players for 3 positions in the upcoming to become a decent team and that is in defensive midfield, centre back and a right sided forward. A proper defensive midfielder like Busquets @ Barca (not the one we see these days but in the past, he was one of the best I've ever seen) will change the entire dynamic of this team. With Donny and Bruno as 2 #8s, we'd look so much better. I think Ole should recognize this. I hate the midfield diamond, it is very narrow and will not help us in the long run.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
How many of our players are suited to a high press game of the kind Poch would want to implement? I don't know the answer but my feeling is that it is less than half. It would be a massive rebuild. Moreover at a time when high press is beginning to go out of fashion. I would have jumped at Poch a year ago but it's beginning to feel late in the day to chase that trend. I mean it's still better than what we have, but is it the foundation of a big rebuild?

Anyway it's academic. Ed won't fund a rebuild.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
How can something that is backed by science be a myth?
Anyway, he exceeded expectations with a team without resources of a big club. It is a no brainer that he will do well here and take us back where we should be.
At this point I hope we hire him just to shut you up :lol:

croadyman

We only got in the top 4 because Leicester bottled it in my opinion