Modric deserves Ballon d'Or, but Ronaldo will get it

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Both Varane and Modric haven't even been in the 3 best Real Madrid players in 2018, nevermind the whole world.

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
They had great World Cups which takes priority. That is the way it has always been until recently.
I remember Shevchenko winning it in 2004 over Deco too. Why was that then? Portugal got to the Euros final, Porto won the CL and Deco had a clearly better year than the one Modric, Mbappe or Varane just had... Shevchenko didn't get to any final and he won it.

Did Varane have a better World Cup than Ronaldo btw? Really? Ronaldo won't win it because he was born in the wrong country then, if getting to the WC final was a requirement he was out of it before the year even began and you need to be born in a big footballing country or have the kindest draw in WC history to be able to win it...

WC should take priority, but it's not the only thing that matters. If that's the top 3, they're giving such a huge importance to the WC that Messi shouldn't have even made the top 23 then. If Mbappe is finishing above Messi and Ronaldo, why aren't Rakitic, Mandzukic, Griezmann, Kante, Lloris, Pavard, etc. too?

Last edited:

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
I remember Shevchenko winning it in 2004 over Deco too. Why was that then? Portugal got to the Euros final and Porto won the CL... Shevchenko got to neither and he won it.

Did Varane have a better World Cup than Ronaldo btw? Really? Ronaldo won't win it because he was born in the wrong country then, if getting to the WC final was a requirement he was out of it before the year even began and you need to be born in a big footballing country or have the kindest draw in WC history to be able to win it...

WC should take priority, but it's not the only thing that matters. If that's the top 3, they're giving such a huge importance to the WC that Messi shouldn't have even made the top 23 then. If Mbappe is finishing above Messi and Ronaldo, why aren't Rakitic, Mandzukic, Griezmann, Kante, Lloris, Pavard, etc. too?
Ronaldo de Lima won it in 2002 despite not even playing 10 games or less in the previous season if I remeber correctly. He won it. Cannavaro won it over a Ronaldinho who was instrumental in Barcelona's league and Champions League Campaign and then was subpar for Real Madrid the season after the World Cup.

Zidane won the Ballon D'Or over Ronaldo De Lima because he scored 2 headed goals in a World Cup final despite Ronaldo being much better than him in both Serie A and the World Cup.

How would you compare Varane and Ronaldo directly? Different roles. Varane was great in France's defence and was also with Madrid when they won the Champions League. Ronaldo was anonymous in the Champions LEague Semi finals and finals and his profligacy was one of the reasons MAdrid fell behind in the league when he had a conversion rate of 1 gaol in 50 shots at on point in the start of the season. As for Messi, the votes don't seem to care about leagues anymore. Overall performance wise in terms of game to performance he was by far the best player last season but Barcelona were embarrassed by Roma and Argentina where poor in the world Cup.

Mbappe was outstanding in the World Cup and had a great season with PSG. If he won it I wouldn't be against it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The World Cup always takes priority as it should. The only time this stopped is when the award combined with the FIFA's World player of the year award.
Why should it though? The world cup is overrated.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Why should it though? The World Cup is overrated.
Well historically, especially when I was younger, it was the only chance everyone had to watch all the best players. Back then you coulnd't justy on the internet and swuicth on tv's to watch games. You mostly got a view of players shaped on ournalitst writings and ratings and local journalists influcne back then was very big as they could shape the perception of footballers.

That tradition carried on but was weakened over the last decade but it looks like the journalists who vote for the award have returned back to the old ways.

Sauldogba

The most undeserving winner i can remember.
I honestly think that hes only getting it because they dont want Cristiano overtaking Messi to make it 6-5 and because he left Real.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Well historically, especially when I was younger, it was the only chance everyone had to watch all the best players. Back then you coulnd't justy on the internet and swuicth on tv's to watch games. You mostly got a view of players shaped on ournalitst writings and ratings and local journalists influcne back then was very big as they could shape the perception of footballers.

That tradition carried on but was weakened over the last decade but it looks like the journalists who vote for the award have returned back to the old ways.
That's very well put, but it isn't 1970 anymore, and upholding a tradition just for its own sake makes very little sense. Also there is an argument to be made that in those days WC actually was a pinnacle when it comes to quality of football, which it very certainly isn't now, at least not in my opinion.

I honestly think that hes only getting it because they dont want Cristiano overtaking Messi to make it 6-5 and because he left Real.
Poor Ronaldo, maybe he shouldn't have left Real Madrid?

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Who are they? The same ones who are behind Kennedy murder, 9/11, mkultra, etc?

I think you could be onto something here...

Zen

The Messiah not even gonna be on the podium....mind you, he probably won’t care. He’ll just continue to be.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Completely underserving but there you go. It should be between Messi and Ronaldo every single year they're actively playing.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Shouldn't Messi win it? He was instrumental in Barca winning the double.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
That's very well put, but it isn't 1970 anymore, and upholding a tradition just for its own sake makes very little sense. Also there is an argument to be made that in those days WC actually was a pinnacle when it comes to quality of football, which it very certainly isn't now, at least not in my opinion.

Poor Ronaldo, maybe he shouldn't have left Real Madrid?
Well it depends how you view it. The quality of Club fotball is obvioulsy much better now especially seeing as most of the National Team players play in foreign leagues and different leagues whereas back then for example in Netherlands, the bulk of our teams where made up of the best Ajax and Feyenoord players.

The World Cup is still seen by many as the most prestigous footballing compettion in the world. It's a tournament that comes about every four years so any player that can make a big impact in it is basically immortalised. Iniest/Xavi should have won it in 2010 as well and maybe Neuer in 2014.

It's the same thing as a player winning it for doing well in the Champions League. If a player does well in 6 games in the Champions League, it is prioritised over another player doing well over 30+ games. That's just the way it is.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Well it depends how you view it. The quality of Club fotball is obvioulsy much better now especially seeing as most of the National Team players play in foreign leagues and different leagues whereas back then for example in Netherlands, the bulk of our teams where made up of the best Ajax and Feyenoord players.

The World Cup is still seen by many as the most prestigous footballing compettion in the world. It's a tournament that comes about every four years so any player that can make a big impact in it is basically immortalised. Iniest/Xavi should have won it in 2010 as well and maybe Neuer in 2014.

It's the same thing as a player winning it for doing well in the Champions League. If a player does well in 6 games in the Champions League, it is prioritised over another player doing well over 30+ games. That's just the way it is.
Anyone is free to regard the WC whichever way they like, and I agree that a majority probably feels that way. It's just that the reasons behind that prestige are practically gone, as far as I'm concerned. Only reason I actually watch it nowadays is that there's nothing else to watch during the summer. Honestly, if someone abolished international football completely tomorrow, I'd hardly bat an eyelid.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Anyone is free to regard the WC whichever way they like, and I agree that a majority probably feels that way. It's just that the reasons behind that prestige are practically gone, as far as I'm concerned. Only reason I actually watch it nowadays is that there's nothing else to watch during the summer. Honestly, if someone abolished international football completely tomorrow, I'd hardly bat an eyelid.
Why?

Sigma

The World Cup always takes priority as it should. The only time this stopped is when the award combined with the FIFA's World player of the year award.
The World Cup should take priority when concerning the Golden Ball for best player at the World Cup. There's no way Modric was the best player in the world over 2018. Varane second is also laughable. Real Madrid's defence has been terrible all year domestically.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
I guess that's a good question. It probably boils down to what one expects to gain by watching games/following football. The older I get, the less tolerance I seem to have for low standard of play, unless of course it's my own team I support.

At this point, international football to me at least, feels distinctly second rate in every way to be honest.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
I guess that's a good question. It probably boils down to what one expects to gain by watching games/following football. The older I get, the less tolerance I seem to have for low standard of play, unless of course it's my own team I support.

At this point, international football to me at least, feels distinctly second rate in every way to be honest.
Fair enough.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The World Cup should take priority when concerning the Golden Ball for best player at the World Cup. There's no way Modric was the best player in the world over 2018. Varane second is also laughable. Real Madrid's defence has been terrible all year domestically.
Why? It's obvious that the WC is the biggest and most important competition in the sport. World Cup games are the most important of the year. It's natural that performance in the world cup should be more important than at club level.

Now as for this specific case, meh. Anyone of Salah, Messi, Cristiano, Varane, Modric, Griezmann and Mbappé has a good case. Who cares who finishes 2nd or 3rd...

Sigma

Why? It's obvious that the WC is the biggest and most important competition in the sport. World Cup games are the most important of the year. It's natural that performance in the World Cup should be more important than at club level.

Now as for this specific case, meh. Anyone of Salah, Messi, Cristiano, Varane, Modric, Griezmann and Mbappé has a good case. Who cares who finishes 2nd or 3rd...
More important, fair enough. But Modric and especially Varane were no where near good enough over the year to be named as the best two players of the year.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If the World Cup was as irrelevant as so many people now believe, then 50% of the stars of the World Cup would skip it to avoid injuries (which are significantly more likely in the months following a WC) and rest mentally. Instead they're desperate to risk significant dips in their club form, and risk injuries regardless of their club's requests to pull out. Even in the cases of injuries to key players which keep them out of the majority of the tournament - they're rushing back to play any of it.

Fans might not care about the World Cup less but fans don't matter. The professionals care.

steffyr2

If the WC is so important, why wouldn't a person from the winning team win?

Moby

Dick
Fans might not care about the World Cup less but fans don't matter. The professionals care.
Majority of fans care about it more than anything else. It's just the nerdy hip ones on football boards and the internet in general who have tens of tables and stats open for every match and view the sport highly analytically that think that CL or leagues matter more.

No footballer who has ever played the game would even once think of prioritising anything over a possibility of winning the WC. Ask Messi if he could trade his CL wins for that one WC win especially in Brazil and he'd do it in an instant. It's the biggest dream of every singly footballer to hold that trophy and there isn't a bigger honour or achievement than winning that. No amount of speccy posters on a forum can overturn what the absolute vast majority of fans and players agree on regarding what the most prestigious event in the sport of football is.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Majority of fans care about it more than anything else. It's just the nerdy hip ones on football boards and the internet in general who have tens of tables and stats open for every match and view the sport highly analytically that think that CL or leagues matter more.

No footballer who has ever played the game would even once think of prioritising anything over a possibility of winning the WC. Ask Messi if he could trade his CL wins for that one WC win especially in Brazil and he'd do it in an instant. It's the biggest dream of every singly footballer to hold that trophy and there isn't a bigger honour or achievement than winning that. No amount of speccy posters on a forum can overturn what the absolute vast majority of fans and players agree on regarding what the most prestigious event in the sport of football is.
It's the biggest trophy, but it isn't the biggest display of quality. I think that's fair to say.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Wonder when the next time a defender will win this award?

Varane would likely have got it had he been captain of Real and France, as strange as that sounds.

Archie_Thompson

The salty Ronaldo fans are finally emerging as they discover Modric is going to win haha.

You'd think after the guy has undeservedly won so many Ballon D'or, they'd keep quiet.

Funniest part is as much as they can argue that Modric isn't a deserving winner, they think Ronaldo is lol.

Mbappe, Messi. Griezmann and Modric all deserve it this season ahead of Ronaldo.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
It doesn't matter who wins it, everyone will say it was underserved and they will all have a point.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Shouldn't Messi win it? He was instrumental in Barca winning the double.
He was under par in the two most important tournaments of the season. Had he performed better I would give the prize to him. But he didn't.