Modric deserves Ballon d'Or, but Ronaldo will get it

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
If Ronaldo's WC was mediocre, what was Messi's?

And this is someone who prefers Messi over Ronaldo.
I always said Ronaldo’s WC was better than Messi’s but Messi has a better performance in the two biggest games for Argentina than Ronaldo did in the final two games for Portugal

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Do you feel Juventus was the right move for him? Do you think he saw the writing on the wall at
Madrid like Zidane May have?
I don’t think either of them saw any writing on the wall. I’d love to see a documentary of whatever the hell happened though because I’m pretty sure there’s a lot more to it than what the public has been told. Given the rumours that Zidane will get a job at Juve either as a manager after Allegri or a counseling role I believe them leaving was connected.

And to answer your question, yes. It’s the perfect move for Ronaldo’s career as there was nothing else to do at Madrid. Now there’s a new challenge, new records to beat, new trophies to win, new teammates, etc. it’s a risk but that will be good for him. Hopefully Inter fans are kinder to him than what Barcelona fans have been :D

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I don’t think either of them saw any writing on the wall. I’d love to see a documentary of whatever the hell happened though because I’m pretty sure there’s a lot more to it than what the public has been told. Given the rumours that Zidane will get a job at Juve either as a manager after Allegri or a counseling role I believe them leaving was connected.

And to answer your question, yes. It’s the perfect move for Ronaldo’s career as there was nothing else to do at Madrid. Now there’s a new challenge, new records to beat, new trophies to win, new teammates, etc. it’s a risk but that will be good for him. Hopefully Inter fans are kinder to him than what Barcelona fans have been :D
It’s a big coup for Serie A, and I’ll definitely miss him when it comes to the clasicos.

La Liga has lost Ronaldo and Neymar in back to back years. That’s gotta hurt.

led_scholes

Can ask something to the Croatian/Serb or whoever knows posters? Here in Greece, there are some rumours that Modric is fan of Ustasi etc. Is there any truth in this?

I know it is a bit of topic, but didn' t want to make a new thread based on rumours.

gaucho_10

Plenty of people have won without doing well at the world cup. And its a very short tournament after a long season unlike the league season and champions league where you have to perform over a sustained period.
In todays printed edition of France football the chief editor Pascala Ferréa writes about Ballon d'Or and says Modric is the main candidate.

We'll see what happens. At least it will be fun to follow the whole thing for a change this year.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Journalists do the voting. Unlike previous years with captains and NT coaches.
I understand that. My point is that, while it's no guarantee of anything, betting markets usually get these things right.

marktan

Ronaldo deservers it, as good a player I think Modric is. Crucial goals on the way to a CL victory, and some memorable moments like that overhead kick and that showing against Spain in the WC.

Salah I actually think is a better player than Ronaldo is right now (not unrealistic given their respective ages), if he keeps up his form and manages to win trophies his time will come.

It does feel like the Ballon D'or has become heavily about who wins the CL, but not unsurprising given Barca and Real have won the last 5 trophies on the trot.

Sigma

Think it will be Salah, Ronaldo or Modric. I personally hope its Salah.

Dr. StrangeHate

Has a proper chance now surely.

To go with his player of the tournament at the world cup.
Will be deserved as well. I think people discount the effect Real Madrid's lobbying has as well.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Gotta be Modric.

Salah can't have it. If he's still looking as good in a year or two then he'll be more deserving.
As things stand he could still just be a flash in the pan, even if unlikely.

Trizy

Madrids Iniesta. Although a better player.

Deserves everything he's won. Brilliant player.

MS4

Did everyone forget Messis league Performance?
Still the best Player of 2017/18.
Who cares about WC..

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
When Iniesta and Ribery won the same award that Modric just did, the Ballon d'Or votes included the national team coaches and captains as well as journalists. This year's Ballon d'Or is journos votes only. That plays in Modric's favour IMO.

Traub

It'll be great if Modric wins it. I don't think many would've bet that a midfielder would be the first non-Ronaldo or Messi player to win. Neymar always looked nailed on.

Sigma

Gotta be Modric.

Salah can't have it. If he's still looking as good in a year or two then he'll be more deserving.
As things stand he could still just be a flash in the pan, even if unlikely.
That doesn't make any sense. It's based on one year, not a series of years.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That doesn't make any sense. It's based on one year, not a series of years.
Still should be Modric overall imo, taking into account the World Cup.
Personally I don't think solely one year of looking decent should be enough for Ballon D'or. Should at least have to show that that's around about your level and you're not a flash in the pan. But yeah, that's just my opinion. It's the kinda the case if you look through past winners too though.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Hope he wins it, Ronaldo-Messi every year is just boring now. :boring:

Karappa

Ronaldo not attending the gala because he didn't win the player of the year award has more or less sealed the Balon d'Or for Modric. Especially with the reactions coming from the Ronaldo camp (Mendes, Marotta, his sister etc.) all showing poor fairplay and huge disrespect to his former teammate Modric. The journalists won't forget it and CR has never been the most popular player with the media... And Ronaldo has no one but himself to blame, behaving like a little spoiled brat at 33...

MrEleson

Ronaldo not attending the gala because he didn't win the player of the year award has more or less sealed the Balon d'Or for Modric. Especially with the reactions coming from the Ronaldo camp (Mendes, Marotta, his sister etc.) all showing poor fairplay and huge disrespect to his former teammate Modric. The journalists won't forget it and CR has never been the most popular player with the media... And Ronaldo has no one but himself to blame, behaving like a little spoiled brat at 33...
Ronaldo probably did deserve the award though. He was better in general last season for Madrid than Modric who wasn't himself in a lot of games. The World Cup is what really won him this award. No world cup and I doubt he would even be top 3.

Ronaldo set records in the CL yet again by being the player to score in the most consecutive games (breaking ruud's 15 year record) and again finishing top scorer with 15 goals (no one has EVER scored more than 14 in a single season except for himself [17 in 13/14 and 16 in 15/16). The CL is his playing ground.

Karappa

Ronaldo probably did deserve the award though. He was better in general last season for Madrid than Modric who wasn't himself in a lot of games. The World Cup is what really won him this award. No world cup and I doubt he would even be top 3.

Ronaldo set records in the CL yet again by being the player to score in the most consecutive games (breaking ruud's 15 year record) and again finishing top scorer with 15 goals (no one has EVER scored more than 14 in a single season except for himself [17 in 13/14 and 16 in 15/16). The CL is his playing ground.
I totally disagree, Ronaldo had 2 (if we are generous three) good months last season, February and March. In the first half of the season he scored more or less only in the CL where he set a record of scoring in every group game but still we only finished second in that group. And in the knockout stages he was there in the two games vs PSG and the first leg vs Juve. There he missed a sitter for the 4th goal right before the end and after that he was invisible for the rest of the CL campaign (apart from the penalty in the return leg). Nothing in the semis, nothing in the final. And in the league he rested for more than half the games during that time span.

Modric on the other hand started slow into the season but got into great form. But what really sealed the deal - apart from leading a country like Croatia to the World Cup final where they were the better team for large parts - is that he played immensely for the TEAM. I didn't think he would have 90 minute games in him but in the latter stages of the CL (and at the WC) he looked like the player with the most stamina in the world. People point at CR goals? I point at Modric helping out Lucas Vazquez at right back for 120 of 180 minutes against Bayern, sacrificing himself for the team, while CR was nowhere to be found. Modric was the glue that held the RM team together in the latter stages of the CL campaign and (together with Rakitic) the Croatia team at the WC. Modric played for his team while CR plays for himself, his brand, his goals.

Therefore I'm very happy that the Messi-Ronaldo duopoly finally got broken and that not only goals are taken into consideration in these decisions. Without his teammates Ronaldo would be nothing and his behavior today confirmed that he still doesn't understand that simple truth about football.

MrEleson

I totally disagree, Ronaldo had 2 (if we are generous three) good months last season, February and March. In the first half of the season he scored more or less only in the CL where he set a record of scoring in every group game but still we only finished second in that group. And in the knockout stages he was there in the two games vs PSG and the first leg vs Juve. There he missed a sitter for the 4th goal right before the end and after that he was invisible for the rest of the CL campaign (apart from the penalty in the return leg). Nothing in the semis, nothing in the final. And in the league he rested for more than half the games during that time span.

Modric on the other hand started slow into the season but got into great form. But what really sealed the deal - apart from leading a country like Croatia to the World Cup final where they were the better team for large parts - is that he played immensely for the TEAM. I didn't think he would have 90 minute games in him but in the latter stages of the CL (and at the WC) he looked like the player with the most stamina in the world. People point at CR goals? I point at Modric helping out Lucas Vazquez at right back for 120 of 180 minutes against Bayern, sacrificing himself for the team, while CR was nowhere to be found. Modric was the glue that held the RM team together in the latter stages of the CL campaign and (together with Rakitic) the Croatia team at the WC. Modric played for his team while CR plays for himself, his brand, his goals.

Therefore I'm very happy that the Messi-Ronaldo duopoly finally got broken and that not only goals are taken into consideration in these decisions. Without his teammates Ronaldo would be nothing and his behavior today confirmed that he still doesn't understand that simple truth about football.

The World Cup sealed the deal. Modric played less minutes than Ronaldo last season and wasn't in better form overall. He was one of the reasons Madrid finished 2nd in the group in the CL with him and Kroos being overrun such as in the game at Wembley against Spurs, etc. He wasn't that immense in the CL at all. He was alright in the 1st leg vs. PSG. Didn't feature at all in the 2nd leg. Was poor in the 1st leg to Juve (but Ronaldo stamped his authority all over that game) and again poor in the return leg when they went 0-3 down and were on the verge of elimination had it it not been for Ronaldo's penalty. Moreover, he alongside Kroos failed to control the game at the allianz arena against a rampant and dominant Bayern side. In the return leg, I agree with you that his work rate for the team was imperious as he helped L.Vasquez cover that RB spot in the absence of Carvajal. Overall though, he was still inferior to Ronaldo in the competition even though the latter did disappear for the semis and final.

Also, Modric featured in less league games than Ronaldo last year too so got plenty of rest himself and featured in less games overall.

It would be pure revisionism to say he would have still made top 3 never mind win it if the world cup didn't happen.

Karappa

The World Cup sealed the deal. Modric played less minutes than Ronaldo last season and wasn't in better form overall. He was one of the reasons Madrid finished 2nd in the group in the CL with him and Kroos being overrun like in the game at Wembley against Spurs, etc. He wasn't that immense in the CL at all. He was alright in the 1st leg vs. PSG. Didn't feature at all in the 2nd leg. Was poor in the 1st leg to Juve but Ronaldo stamped his authority all over that game and again poor in the return leg when they went 0-3 down to Juventus and almost got knocked out had it it not been for Ronaldo's penalty. Modric alongside Kroos also failed to control the game at the allianz arena against a rampant and dominant Bayern side. In the return leg, I agree with you that he his work rate for the team was imperious as he helped L.Vasquez cover that RB spot in the absence of Carvajal. Overall, he was still inferior to Ronaldo in the competition even though the latter did disappear for the semis and final.

Also, Modric featured in less league games than Ronaldo last year too so got plenty of rest himself and featured in less games overall.

It would be pure revisionism to say he would have still made top 3 never mind win it if the world cup didn't happen.
Of course his biggest achievement was to get a country like Croatia to the World Cup final, that's why I'm not sure why there is even a discussion about him winning the prize. If we agree on both of them having ups and downs in the CL, well then it's up to the World Cup - and there Ronaldo had one great game while Modric was outstanding throughout. Croatia was the only team there that tried to win games in overtime and he was the driving force behind it.

MrEleson

Of course his biggest achievement was to get a country like Croatia to the World Cup final, that's why I'm not sure why there is even a discussion about him winning the prize. If we agree on both of them having ups and downs in the CL, well then it's up to the World Cup - and there Ronaldo had one great game while Modric was outstanding throughout. Croatia was the only team there that tried to win games in overtime and he was the driving force behind it.
Tbh, I thought being a UEFA award, more weight would have been placed on the season prior to the World Cup. Modric was already recognised for his World Cup performances by the WC Golden Ball so it made more sense if this was more focused on the past European season for which I personally believe Ronaldo had the greatest impact overall beyond any other player despite being invisible in the semis and final. Madrid barely limped passed Bayern in the semis. Relied on 2 key mistakes for 2/4 of their goals and plenty of missed chances for Bayern. Modric worked hard for his team but he didn't do anything that made him MVP in those games either. The final was decided again, by calamitous mistakes that most professionals at that level wouldn't be making.

I guess it also showed that Madrid were vulnerable when their star man wasn't at his best.

But if it insists on world cup being more weighted than anything else then yeah he deserves it as he was majestic and industrious throughout.

Schneckerl

This one is for the season while the Ballon D'or is for the year. Ronaldo was imo better this year, but Modric's case imporves if you consider the '17 part of 17/18 as well. Wonder if voters actually think about that though.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Modric league and CL form last season was nothing more than decent, it’s all about his WC performances though, and his CL trophy as part of winning team.

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
CRonaldo was better than Modric in the last 16 and quarters. Modric better in semis and final. Add his World Cup to that and it is well deserved.

AgentP

What did he do?