Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
As I understand it, this will take Arsenal's net spend to the highest in the league of the past 5 years

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I sadly, for you, see a large crazy american owner's shadow being cast over this deal by the time the window closes - yee haw
Giddy up. Might mean we are able to get Rice again the end of the season.

Though whilst I think Rice is (currently) a better player, I'd rather have Cacaeido now then Rice at the end of the season. We need someone now.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
100m for Mudryk or 100m on Trossard, Kiwior and Caicedo. I know which I'd take. Think we're just pulling our Summer budget ahead, to give us a better shot at the title.

Shinjch

Giddy up. Might mean we are able to get Rice again the end of the season.

Though whilst I think Rice is (currently) a better player, I'd rather have Cacaeido now then Rice at the end of the season. We need someone now.
I think Caicedo would fit this Arsenal team pretty perfectly. Way more so than Rice.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
As I understand it, this will take Arsenal's net spend to the highest in the league of the past 5 years
i don’t think that’s true.

In any case, net spend without wage bill is meaningless. Last reliable wage bill data (just published by Deloitte) from 20-21 season had United, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Chelsea in the 350-380m range and Arsenal around 210m. Spending 150m less on wages than your competitors is a huge difference for a manager.

JuriM

Atm got rejected, but we'll see how high Arsenal is willing to go.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Caicedo, Partey and Odegaard and they would have the best midfield in the league. Don't know how you could play through a midfield like that
Hmm. I don’t think Caicedo is that good but he would dovetail quite well with the profiles they’ve got in there.

It’s an awful lot of money but that’s the going rate these days…

Sylar

100m for Mudryk or 100m on Trossard, Kiwior and Caicedo. I know which I'd take. Think we're just pulling our Summer budget ahead, to give us a better shot at the title.
Makes perfect sense. The aim is CL football and the title. If you have money for summer, you may as well try use it now given the position you're in. You never know when it will happen again so if you can bid 60m, an extra 15-20 (if that is what it takes) is the best thing to do.

On top of that losing the fa cup tie tonight with a second string might not be the worst thing either

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Makes perfect sense. The aim is CL football and the title. If you have money for summer, you may as well try use it now given the position you're in. You never know when it will happen again so if you can bid 60m, an extra 15-20 (if that is what it takes) is the best thing to do.

On top of that losing the fa cup tie tonight with a second string might not be the worst thing either
Agree completely, we have to capitalise now IMO.

SAF is the GOAT

A United fan and we could have snapped him for peanuts years ago if our scouting and recruitment teams knew what the feck they were doing. I hope the new owners sort it out so we no longer miss out on these players.
Our scouting(especially in this case) is good, that's not their role to sign players, the board is and "as usual" they failed.

Last edited:

Blood Mage

A United fan and we could have snapped him for peanuts years ago if our scouting and recruitment teams knew what the feck they were doing. I hope the new owners sort it out so we no longer miss out on these players.

JuriM

Has there ever been a legit report that Ten Hag fancies him and he is a potential future signing? I don't remember one.

GledTheRed

We were aware of him before Brighton were and couldn't do a deal as we weren't in bed with his various agents and Brighton were.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Maybe once they get Caicedo, they do the moral thing with partey now that they'd have cover for him

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
i don’t think that’s true.

In any case, net spend without wage bill is meaningless. Last reliable wage bill data (just published by Deloitte) from 20-21 season had United, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Chelsea in the 350-380m range and Arsenal around 210m. Spending 150m less on wages than your competitors is a huge difference for a manager.
https://www.football365.com/news/transfers-premier-league-five-year-net-spend-man-utd-man-city

If this deal goes through you'd be the top spenders.

romufc

Has there ever been a legit report that Ten Hag fancies him and he is a potential future signing? I don't remember one.
People love to do this. OMG x,y,z club is signing so many players, United are shit, we are rubbish, our board is crap.

United have spent the most money in recent years, all they do is cry cry cry.

Then we have those who will say, we could have signed him for £5m. Yes, true but we signed Pellestri, Diallo, look how that has worked out so far.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Poor Brighton. The next player trying to force his departure.

Lee565

This what ambition looks like, sitting top of the league in a with a good gap and they have signed trossard and now after caicedo, us on the other hand had a great chance to be legit title challengers going into the 3 matches with city, Palace and arsenal and what was the ambition of our owners, let's sign weghorst....

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
They're literally the 4th highest spenders in the world (or 3rd in net spend) since Arteta's first summer!

United comparably in that period are about 30 to 40m higher, in a time with Woodward who is literally known internally as the guy who burned through a billion quid with no ROI.

But back to Arsenal - the narrative almost feels like they run everything with caution and some Ajax style approach when really they have just joined the club as you've said, albeit without going for absolute standout household names. I have no issue with it by the way, I'm just not convinced the finances behind the recent turnaround is spoken about enough - whereas when Liverpool, United, City or Chelsea spend boldly it's micro-analysed with more scrutiny.
2020 / 2021 INS:
1) Thomas Partey - DM - €50.00m
2) Gabriel Meghalaes - CB - €26.00m
3) Pablo Mari - CB - €6.00m
4) Alex Runarsson - GK - €2.00m
Total - €86.00m
Sales - €19.15m
Net - €66.85m

2021 / 2022 INS:
1) Ben White - CB/RB - €58.50m
2) Martin Ødegaard - AM - €35.00m
3) Aaron Ramsdale - GK - €28.00m
4) Takehiro Tomiyasu - RB/Utility Def - €18.60m
5) Sambi Lokonga - CM - €17.50m
6) Nuno Tavares - LB - €8.00m
7) Austin Trusty - CB - €1.80m
Total - €167.40m
Sales - €31.40m
Net - €136.00m

2022 / 2023 INS:
1) Gabriel Jesus - Forward - €52.20m
2) Zinchenko - LB - €35.00m
3) Fabio Vieira - AM - €35.00m
4) Jakub Kiwior - CB/DM - €25.00m
5) Leandro Trossard - LW/AM - €24.00m
6) Matthew Turner - GK - €6.36m
7) Marquinhos - RW - €3.50m
Total - €181.06m
Sales - €23.80m
Net - €157.26m

TOTAL NET SPEND - €360.11m

Over this same period:
Chelsea's Net Spend - €587.41m
United's Net Spend - €402.67m
Liverpool's Net Spend - €180.90m
City's Net Spend - €145.10m

OT_United

Can't believe this guy has only just turned 21 in November. I thought he was 25 - brilliant player.
Would be a great long term successor for Casemiro but he won't want to sit on the bench for 3/4 years.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Poor Brighton. The next player trying to force his departure.
It's literally their business model. They're just trying to milk the maximum profit possible.

They'll just buy another Caicedo and do it all over again.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We were aware of him before Brighton were and couldn't do a deal as we weren't in bed with his various agents and Brighton were.
Our scouting was definitely not the problem because we wouldn't have even got to the negotiating stage if it was. Our scouts were actually early on Caicedo compared to other big clubs.

No surprise Arsenal are making a move for Caicedo because he fits the positional play principles of Arteta. I said at the start of the season on here that he's going to be a better player than Bissouma.

ShinjiNinja26

This what ambition looks like, sitting top of the league in a with a good gap and they have signed trossard and now after caicedo, us on the other hand had a great chance to be legit title challengers going into the 3 matches with city, Palace and arsenal and what was the ambition of our owners, let's sign weghorst....
The ambition of our owners is to sell the club. You really think they’re going to sign off on spending millions when they’ll hopefully be out the door in the next few months?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Hmm. I don’t think Caicedo is that good but he would dovetail quite well with the profiles they’ve got in there.

It’s an awful lot of money but that’s the going rate these days…
im glad im not the only one that doesnt rate him all highly. lets see

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's a good player, maybe even great, but he's surely not worth the ~£80m it would take for Brighton to sell.

Also, if Arsenal do get him then surely their spending will be modest in the summer?

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
He's a good player, maybe even great, but he's surely not worth the ~£80m it would take for Brighton to sell.

Also, if Arsenal do get him then surely their spending will be modest in the summer?
Why? They spend a lot, but it rarely gets mentioned in the press for whatever reason. They'll likely continue doing so.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Shame he is leaving now. If he can wait till next year, we would sign him. As things stand, he isn't our priority.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Why? They spend a lot, but it rarely gets mentioned in the press for whatever reason. They'll likely continue doing so.
I don't have a particular reason just feel their big transfer spending has to come to a head soon. As you say, Arteta has been massively backed and it does tend to go less noticed than other clubs.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

Surely it would. But Caceido now vs (potentially) Rice in the summer is the question.

Rice might be a better player at the moment, though I'd rather we bring in a midfielder now as opposed to waiting for summer to make a move.

And who knows, maybe Caceido may develop further. IMO he is a bit better on the ball compared to Rice, which is something Partey excels at.

ShinjiNinja26

He’s a good player but nowhere near worth the fees being banded about. Remember how Bisouma looked at Brighton, how’s he getting on now? If Arsenal have or Chelsea want to blow £70-80m on him then crack on.

SoCross

Brighton should hold out till the summer, it’s what, few days left till the window shuts? They won’t have time to get in a replacement and they’ve still a chance of fighting for the CL spots.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If I were Brighton I would definitely sell now. He's not going to be a player that will sell for 100m. 75-80m is probably the most they'll ever be able to get for him so it's best to sell when his stock is high.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Its mostly because people are still stuck in the past where the stadium loans massively curtailed our spending. Now that it looks like the shackles are off, it'll take time for that fact to sink in. Arsenal held the transfer record for Wiltord at one point in time. We have always spent money when not under financial constraints.

Status
Not open for further replies.