Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryWinks

Good player, but not £70M good. At least not now, maybe never. Surprised Arsenal are willing to spend that much on him though, and why they left it this late in the window? You don't make a bid for an important player for a team who don't really need the money in the last week of a transfer window without expecting some serious pushback.

Have they been forced to make this bid because Chelsea were sniffing? Or the potential injury to Thomas?

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Good player, but not £70M good. At least not now, maybe never. Surprised Arsenal are willing to spend that much on him though, and why they left it this late in the window? You don't make a bid for an important player for a team who don't really need the money in the last week of a transfer window without expecting some serious pushback.

Have they been forced to make this bid because Chelsea were sniffing? Or the potential injury to Thomas?
Honestly it’s probably a bit of both. We bid £55 mil supposedly but I don’t see us going in again, not in January. Perhaps if he is there in the summer we might, Boehly seems to have a good rapport with Brighton they spoke very highly of him (yes I know, overspending on their players would do that).

I can see this going badly for Arsenal, they were already accused of tapping up Mudryk and now they have almost seemingly done the same thing again with Moises. Brighton seem pretty pissed off with how they’ve conducted themselves and that’s why I don’t see them accepting any bid.

BarryWinks

Honestly it’s probably a bit of both. We bid £55 mil supposedly but I don’t see us going in again, not in January. Perhaps if he is there in the summer we might, Boehly seems to have a good rapport with Brighton they spoke very highly of him (yes I know, overspending on their players would do that).

I can see this going badly for Arsenal, they were already accused of tapping up Mudryk and now they have almost seemingly done the same thing again with Moises. Brighton seem pretty pissed off with how they’ve conducted themselves and that’s why I don’t see them accepting any bid.
Still think Brighton will cave in the last few hours of the window. No point keeping an unhappy player, although I agree with you that Arsenal haven't covered themselves on glory with theirs (and Moises') conduct this last few days.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
he’s a good player but he’s not 70m good.
If you were in our exact position would you want United to go all out to sign him?

I feel like it would definitely be an overpay, but all things considered can we afford not to? I don't think we can.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
If you were in our exact position would you want United to go all out to sign him?

I feel like it would definitely be an overpay, but all things considered can we afford not to? I don't think we can.
You often have to overpay in January, but I do not see us budging on this one now. I could be wrong, but the feeling from the club is we can not cave to every player when they make a fuss unless it works for the club and this late on the window it doesn't work for us.

Tony Bloom has always been clear that we would let people move on an develop their careers, that's part of the draw to Brighton for highly rated young players as well as managers and staff, but it has to happen on the clubs terms and this would set a bad precedent.

bringbackbebe

You often have to overpay in January, but I do not see us budging on this one now. I could be wrong, but the feeling from the club is we can not cave to every player when they make a fuss unless it works for the club and this late on the window it doesn't work for us.

Tony Bloom has always been clear that we would let people move on an develop their careers, that's part of the draw to Brighton for highly rated young players as well as managers and staff, but it has to happen on the clubs terms and this would set a bad precedent.
That's the right strategy. You're not going to lose value on Caicedo in the summer (could increase actually with more clubs bidding) but letting him go now will seriously weaken your position to compete. You seemed to cope up well without him yesterday though ;)

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
We need to leave this one alone. Could be his only chance of ever winning the league gone but that’s between him and Brighton. I don’t think he’s worth more than 50m so we have already bid too much for him. I’m sure his mate Trossard will show him his medal in the summer to soften the blow.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

Teams definitely overpay in January.

I selfishly hope Brighton cave, even though how this has played out doesn't sit well with me (Brighton is my second favourite team).

But we desperately need a midfielder and Caicedo can come in and hit the ground running.

He also fits the profile of players that we have been targeting - that being young, has potential and also has room to develop.

I'm happy for us to overpay right now. I think Caicedo now trumps the potential of signing Rice in the summer. There's no guarantee that we'd be able to sign Rice anyway. We can worry about other targets at the end of the season.

Ideally we get the deal done and then look at bringing in Tielemans on a free, and then start integrating Patino in our rotation for next season.

suheilsworld

Arsenal should ignore this and go get Sander Berge out of the Championship instead
Definitely has gone off the boil since he signed for Sheffield United. has been used out of position as well. Might be a good bet as a low cost squad option. 20 matches and 4 goals for Blades this season

crossy1686

career ending
Is he really worth £60m I haven’t seen that much of Brighton this year but they’ve been impressive. Not even sure he’s played in the games I’ve seen then play.

Thiagoal

If United are interested then he’d be well-served holding off until the summer when we should have new owners!

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Definitely has gone off the boil since he signed for Sheffield United. has been used out of position as well. Might be a good bet as a low cost squad option. 20 matches and 4 goals for Blades this season
I hope we are looking at him as well.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Teams definitely overpay in January.

I selfishly hope Brighton cave, even though how this has played out doesn't sit well with me (Brighton is my second favourite team).

But we desperately need a midfielder and Caicedo can come in and hit the ground running.

He also fits the profile of players that we have been targeting - that being young, has potential and also has room to develop.

I'm happy for us to overpay right now. I think Caicedo now trumps the potential of signing Rice in the summer. There's no guarantee that we'd be able to sign Rice anyway. We can worry about other targets at the end of the season.

Ideally we get the deal done and then look at bringing in Tielemans on a free, and then start integrating Patino in our rotation for next season.
Tubbymans isn’t coming. He is below Arsenals and top 4 standard.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
If United are interested then he’d be well-served holding off until the summer when we should have new owners!
Are your new owners going to be excellent scouts? Because United have been spending big money for many years now.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
We already have such a young squad.

Ramsdale 23, Saka 21, Martinelli 21, Odegaard 24, White 25, Jesus 25, Zinchenko 25, Saliba 21, Gabriel 23, Tomiyasu 23, Nketiah 22, Tierney 25, Smith-Rowe 22, Vieira 22.

Trossard, Xhaka, Partey are the only key personnel over 25 years of age.

If we get Caicedo, its another qaulity young player that helps fill the squad out.

Were getting to the stage were we wont need to invest heavily because we are set.

Thats why we should pay the money for Caicedo. Because we can add to our already ridiculously long list of quality young plyers.

romufc

Its a silly question to ask United fans.

They will cry when someone like Arsenal sign him saying, omg look at what Arsenal are doing, signing x,y,z they are serious.

If United signed him, they'd want to sign him but 3 months later blame the board for overpaying and saying if only we signed him for 40m and spent 30m on someone else.

redcucumber

Are your new owners going to be excellent scouts? Because United have been spending big money for many years now.
Our most recent bunch of signings haven't been half bad, so I'm not too concerned about ownership strongly influencing who we bring in. If anything, not being shackled by the Glazers can only be a positive.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Ramsdale 23, Saka 21, Martinelli 21, Odegaard 24, White 25, Jesus 25, Zinchenko 25, Saliba 21, Gabriel 23, Tomiyasu 23, Nketiah 22, Tierney 25, Smith-Rowe 22, Vieira 22.

If we get Caicedo, its another qaulity young player that helps fill the squad out.

Were getting to the stage were we wont need to invest heavily because we are set.

Thats why we should pay the money for Caicedo. Because we can add to our already ridiculously long list of quality young plyers.
I wish this wasn't true but it is. Ugh.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Think it's more the injury to Elneny. Remember, we did similar with Douglas Luiz the end of the summer window after Elneny got injured then. With the position we are in, it's just the target has went up in quality.

This deal won't happen though. We likely won't sign anyone now for midfield cover.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

Agree completely.

Hopefully we integrate Patino (19) and Balogun (21) into the squad next season too.

Patino has been excellent for Blackpool (based on what I have read from their fans and match reports) and Balogun is currently one of the leading scorers in Ligue 1.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Failing to get a midfielder for two windows in a row is disastrous. Edu will have some serious questions to answer. I mean anyone of backup quality will suffice….

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Ramsdale only being 23 years old has blown my mind. No idea why I thought that guy was approaching 30. So when he was struggling in that crap Sheffield Utd team, he really was just a kid and he was first choice at Bournemouth as a teenager? His career is way more impressive in this context.

You do have a great young squad to be fair.

Cloud7

They will cry when someone like Arsenal sign him saying, omg look at what Arsenal are doing, signing x,y,z they are serious.

If United signed him, they'd want to sign him but 3 months later blame the board for overpaying and saying if only we signed him for 40m and spent 30m on someone else.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is so accurate

Baneofthegame

Basically most of this forum summed up in one post.

Chairman Steve

Nothing worse than having to try to get a performing Premier League player these days. Either you wait until the player is into their final year of the contract otherwise you’re guaranteed to overpay for them.

romufc

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is so accurate
Basically most of this forum summed up in one post.

Literally having a discussion with another poster who was saying we massively overpaid for Antony and Martinez, if we didn't sign them, we would have had 40m to spend this window.

its almost as if they have no idea how football transfers work, when you go for players these days in certain positions, clubs will ask above market value.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Could the big push be that Arsenal has some news on the Partey off-field stuff and might be without him? Not sure I see the sense in pushing for this one player that kinda plays in his position for massive money, in January. Most likely injury news perhaps but, doesn't make massive sense tbh.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Could the big push be that Arsenal has some news on the Partey off-field stuff and might be without him? Not sure I see the sense in pushing for this one player that kinda plays in his position for massive money, in January. Most likely injury news perhaps but, doesn't make massive sense tbh.
I reckon it's a case of Caicedo and his new agents telling clubs that he's likely available this window if the price is right and Arsenal in a stage of the season where the title is a very real possibility and so wanting to try and ride and build that momentum by bolstering their squad and covering all bases. Plus from the Caicedo view this is a quality chance to gain his first PL title.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I reckon it's a case of Caicedo and his new agents telling clubs that he's likely available this window if the price is right and Arsenal in a stage of the season where the title is a very real possibility and so wanting to try and ride and build that momentum by bolstering their squad and covering all bases. Plus from the Caicedo view this is a quality chance to gain his first PL title.
Of course, although bit of a hollow victory that

Jeffthered

I only picked this up quite late, but his arrogance and sense of opportunism over any loyalty, I find, quite dreadful. I hope he sits on the bench for the rest of the season, while his team mates, some of whom are World Cup winners, dig in, and see the second half of the season through. He goes to Arsenal and he sits on the bench for their key games anyway, as he isn't better than Partey-Xhaka-Odegaard. No way.

Superden

I only picked this up quite late, but his arrogance and sense of opportunism over any loyalty, I find, quite dreadful. I hope he sits on the bench for the rest of the season, while his team mates, some of whom are World Cup winners, dig in, and see the second half of the season through. He goes to Arsenal and he sits on the bench for their key games anyway, as he isn't better than Partey-Xhaka-Odegaard. No way.
just wait to till you hear about how odegaard ended up at real. if arrogance and opportunism arent your thing,

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
The latest I've heard I'd his bail has been extended until July, so I don't think that would be the reason for this bid.

Like I said earlier, we bid near deadline day for Douglas Luiz after Elneny got injured. We are just doing the same but on a bigger scale.

kps88

Na midfield is the weakest area of their squad and this is the best chance they have to win the league in years. The drop if Partey or even Xhaka get injured is massive so it makes sense to go all out now.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
We didnt need to overspend on Mudryk but here's one we are a little forced to if we want to win the PL. We are razor thin in the middle. Most people would have probably noticed the drop-off last Friday when Partey got subbed off. I dont think this guy is worth more than 50 mil, but I can certainly understand Brighton asking way over the top money. They are pushing for Europe and their top talents (not only players) have already been sent packing. Typically if you look at our transfer history Arsenal does not complete this transfer.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
rest assured i don’t see any circumstance where arsenal don’t play partey.

Status
Not open for further replies.