Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pronewbie

Peep
Hi there, I’m the Brighton fan who posted at length earlier in the thread explaining the Caicedo situation prior to joining us.

What some supporters (not you personally!) of the top clubs must try and see is that the days of the biggest clubs in the world - such as Manchester United - taking top talent from smaller clubs for pennies is over. Brighton have a World Cup winning centre midfielder, one of the hottest prospects in the world alongside him, the future Spanish number one keeper and Mitoma. Mitoma is behind only Saka and your very own Rashford in form this season for his position, for example. Yet on every single forum for of the top clubs people watch a few minutes of an Albion game and say things like “just get Mitoma for £30m”.

Brighton’s official line on Caicedo, as with White (£50m) and Cucurella (£63m) before him, is they simply don’t want to sell. The player is not for sale.

If a club came in and made a mad offer/started a bidding war, of course he’d leave. The right money can move anyone anywhere in the world, including all your best players, PSG’s best players, anyone.

In Caicedo’s case, he has four years left in his contract, is a top performing premier league midfielder in a successful team, who have no financial need to sell and at this time no pressure from the player or his new agents to move.

I think he will almost certainly go to a top club in the summer regardless of whether Brighton make Europe, but realistically the fee will be £75m+ depending on interest. Probably closer to a potential £100m with bonuses.

Manchester United/Chelsea etc are massive draws for any player, but the selling club aren’t obliged to sell to them just because they’re who they are.

If he’d add value to the squad, they’d pay the fee relative to the value he adds, which is basic business.

Cheers! :)
Cheers, Geoff. In all serious-ness - there are far more qualified business-people running football clubs these days. We have been shown up badly over the past decade.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I think Chelsea are less and less interested; certainly at that price.

I honestly believe Andrey Santos will be a better player than Caicedo sooner rather than later, and they fulfill similar roles.

If he truly does t have a visa issue, then I would play him when he gets back from the U20.

Zakaria is supposedly healthy again.

If we can get Gusto across the line we can slide Reece inside if we need to if Zakaria gets hurt.

I would rather have someone cheaper that can reliably act as a shield and a good squad member like Edson Alvarez at this point than a big move for Caicedo.

Big money for Enzo? Yes

60m for Caicedo would be a stretch … but he’s solid , and it’s January. That would have been my ceiling though.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
He'll be backing up and eventually replacing Casemiro/Partey at Utd/Arsenal. Both of whom are 30+ and won't be able to play every match. Well worth the 75m asking price.

croadyman

He'll be backing up and eventually replacing Casemiro/Partey at Utd/Arsenal. Both of whom are 30+ and won't be able to play every match. Well worth the 75m asking price.
Still waiting for someone to explain why it was such a complex agent situation which saw Brighton nip in ahead of us two

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Still waiting for someone to explain why it was such a complex agent situation which saw Brighton nip in ahead of us two
I posted at length about this a few pages back in the thread with links, hope this is useful

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Simply, it was during Covid 19 so no one could fly to South America and negotiations were done by Zoom. We already had a relationship with the club after signing Billy Arce and knew who we needed to talk to. Paul Barber (Brighton CEO) had already been there before Covid to speak to Caicedo's representatives and we offered a 20% sell on clause.

Caicedo's representatives could see there was far more chance of playing for Brighton than United or another big club.

Finally, the Brexit rules had just kicked in and we knew better than most clubs what was needed to get the Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) because Dan Ashworth had been part of the GBE working party and Barber is on the Professional Game Board so we had all the info.

TL:DR We were in a much better place with the selling club and Caicedo's representatives and were on top of all the new rules for foreign players because we helped design them.

Ludens the Red

Simply, it was during Covid 19 so no one could fly to South America and negotiations were done by Zoom. We already had a relationship with the club after signing Billy Arce and knew who we needed to talk to. Paul Barber (Brighton CEO) had already been there before Covid to speak to Caicedo's representatives and we offered a 20% sell on clause.

Caicedo's representatives could see there was far more chance of playing for Brighton than United or another big club.

Finally, the Brexit rules had just kicked in and we knew better than most clubs what was needed to get the Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) because Dan Ashworth had been part of the GBE working party and Barber is on the Professional Game Board so we had all the info.

TL:DR We were in a much better place with the selling club and Caicedo's representatives and were on top of all the new rules for foreign players because we helped design them.
Wish these rules would be explained in football manager .

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
It was a messy transfer with multiple owners, done in Covid time. Bigger clubs were probably happy letting him go to a smaller club and then get him after he proves himself. The 75m price quoted is not really beyond the ken for any of the traditional top four if they deem him fit for their clubs, and he'll now come with the guarantee of having done it in the Premier League.

Oranges038

My memory may be foggy but I feel it was already accepted Palacios was useful but limited, whereas we have people who don’t watch the other two telling us they’re one man midfields
Yeap. Palacios was linked to a lot of top clubs like Utd, Liverpool etc, the usual nonsense and ended up at Spurs. Now I'm not sure how much the business with his brother affected him after that. To me he was just never that good.

Caicedo is good. But like Rice he hasn't shown that he possesses enough overall quality on the ball that's needed in a top team to be worth the 60/70m Brighton are looking for.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I think whoever gets him will be very glad they did. He stands out in what is already a very good Brighton side. He’s only going to get better too. I’d hate to see a United fan end up playing for Arsenal or Chelsea, but I think that’s how this ends because United will target de Jong again in the summer.

Ekeke

If we signed him I'd expect him to start next to Casemiro and then we could have a more attacking rightback. Eriksen defends even worse than Pogba did

phelans shorts

Yeap. Palacios was linked to a lot of top clubs like Utd, Liverpool etc, the usual nonsense and ended up at Spurs. Now I'm not sure how much the business with his brother affected him after that. To me he was just never that good.

Caicedo is good. But like Rice he hasn't shown that he possesses enough overall quality on the ball that's needed in a top team to be worth the 60/70m Brighton are looking for.
Yeah, it’s not really that these players are bad. Bissouma should be a golden lesson to everyone that looking good at Brighton doesn’t mean you’re going to the next level. Caicedo is good, but is he better than that? He’s not Kante at Leicester now is he?

I certainly wouldn’t entertain 75million on him.

Shinjch

He is already one of the best in the league, with a high ceiling to still reach. Whoever gets him will have got a very good player for the future and for now. He looks a much better option for the top clubs than the likes of Rice to me.

Would be one of the only smart signings that Chelsea have made if they get him, but I think the player would be wise to wait until the summer. Even if his wage right now is very small for a player of his calibre in this league.

Sylar

That would be a great deal for all if that is agreed Upon (eg if arsenal are able to spend a bit more towards what Brighton want)

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
60 million? Why would they sell him for 60 million now? They could get more than that even in the summer and not be without a key player for the rest of the season

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
That would be a great deal for all if that is agreed Upon (eg if arsenal are able to spend a bit more towards what Brighton want)
I don't really mind what we spend, so long as it helps us in the back half of the season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Apparently we won’t sell for less than 75 and I hope to god no one offers that until the summer.
I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal trigger that tbf. Could be the difference between a title or not and I think they'd risk it.

Raven

We should be all over this. Perfect back up/eventual replacement for Casemiro.

Wayne's World

Caicedo, Partey and Odegaard and they would have the best midfield in the league. Don't know how you could play through a midfield like that

Sylar

I don't really mind what we spend, so long as it helps us in the back half of the season.
I don't blame you. Adding him to your squad gives it a huge boost to getting the title
Brighton get paid and are well run to get a replacement not to completely derail their season. And the player gets a huge chance and platform.

cyberman

Caicedo, Partey and Odegaard and they would have the best midfield in the league. Don't know how you could play through a midfield like that
Not sure this signing is with the intention of all three playing together imo

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
If they sold Cucurella for £50m+, Caicedo should command a significantly higher fee - especially in January whilst they are 8 points and 1 game in hand away from a CL spot.

Come on Brighton, be bold and tell them to feck off.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Arsenal showing they mean business. Even their owner is more ambitious than the leeches we have.
They had years of under investment while we were splashing cash on avg players. They are just catching up.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
By the time the London clubs are finished there will be nothing left when we decide to re-enter the market in the summer!

mav_9me

Could be the difference between winning the title or not. They desperately need an option for Partey. He could play with him and instead of him.

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21
Ornstein reporting the £60m bid has been rejected. Expect Arsenal will increase to the supposed £75m asking price.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Arsenal spending nearly 100m in the winter window then. I thought Arteta was a pauper who never spends though?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
They had years of under investment while we were splashing cash on avg players. They are just catching up.
They're literally the 4th highest spenders in the world (or 3rd in net spend) since Arteta's first summer!

United comparably in that period are about 30 to 40m higher, in a time with Woodward who is literally known internally as the guy who burned through a billion quid with no ROI.

But back to Arsenal - the narrative almost feels like they run everything with caution and some Ajax style approach when really they have just joined the club as you've said, albeit without going for absolute standout household names. I have no issue with it by the way, I'm just not convinced the finances behind the recent turnaround is spoken about enough - whereas when Liverpool, United, City or Chelsea spend boldly it's micro-analysed with more scrutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.