Moises Caicedo

Status
Not open for further replies.

redcucumber

Don't understand what the benefit of him signing a new contract was (from his POV). Immediate cash windfall must have been nice, but there's no way the likes of Madrid sign him now as he's effectively priced himself out of a move.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Don't understand what the benefit of him signing a new contract was (from his POV). Immediate cash windfall must have been nice, but there's no way the likes of Madrid sign him now as he's effectively priced himself out of a move.
He's 21 and they already have excellent players in that position. Plenty of time.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Maybe he fancies a European campaign with Brighton where he's at the centre of the team rather than a bit part player at a bigger club that's a good draw for a 21 year old.

There's a good chance he goes nowhere this summer and with Mac Allister almost certainly leaving, Brighton don't fancy selling both their best midfielders.

redcucumber

He's 21 and they already have excellent players in that position. Plenty of time.
Maybe he fancies a European campaign with Brighton where he's at the centre of the team rather than a bit part player at a bigger club that's a good draw for a 21 year old.

There's a good chance he goes nowhere this summer and with Mac Allister almost certainly leaving, Brighton don't fancy selling both their best midfielders.
Fair, I'd sort of assumed he'd angle for a move this summer but it'd be great if he ended up staying at Brighton (assuming we can't get him obv).

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't understand our transfer policy. When we were for him (and similiar players) why we just didn't bought him for that 5 mil and loaned him out. There was zero risk in that business.

We did so many bad decisions last few years which is unbelievable.
Missed on Caicedo, refused Haaland because "we are too big to give release clause", we didn't go all in for Bellingham before he signed for BvB, De ligt's father was too fat....

Davie Moyes

This is it exactly.

At Brighton, Potter and Ashworth (at the time) mapped out a clear route for him for development and first team football, he had a couple of appearances before he went off to our feeder club, USG, in Belgium. We knew that Bissouma was unlikely to sign a new contract and he was signed for succession.

At United there is no clear route offered and when managers change, styles of play change completely as well, so there are no guarantees, whereas when we changed from Potter to De Zerbi, the style was tweaked rather than changed dramatically.

It's difficult for big clubs who expect to win every match to take a risk like Caicedo and play him regularly, there's no room for feck ups. But the flipside is, you guys have much much more money and can afford to buy ready made pl players.

I think if Pellistri and Amad had joined Brighton (they joined United 6 months before Caicedo joined Brighton and are the same age) both would be regular and established pl players by now.
Good post. I totally agree.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
Wondering if one of the portuguese or South American redcaffers who are more familiar with ugarte than I am could do a brief comparison on how they compare to each other.

Nick7

This is it exactly.

At Brighton, Potter and Ashworth (at the time) mapped out a clear route for him for development and first team football, he had a couple of appearances before he went off to our feeder club, USG, in Belgium. We knew that Bissouma was unlikely to sign a new contract and he was signed for succession.

At United there is no clear route offered and when managers change, styles of play change completely as well, so there are no guarantees, whereas when we changed from Potter to De Zerbi, the style was tweaked rather than changed dramatically.

It's difficult for big clubs who expect to win every match to take a risk like Caicedo and play him regularly, there's no room for feck ups. But the flipside is, you guys have much much more money and can afford to buy ready made pl players.

I think if Pellistri and Amad had joined Brighton (they joined United 6 months before Caicedo joined Brighton and are the same age) both would be regular and established pl players by now.
I’m being picky here but Caicedo went to Beerschot, not USG and Amad joined us the same window Caicedo did you :p

We signed him too late to get him through in the “summer” window. Pellistri joined in October too, damn covid window.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
When I read posts like this I think I am in a parallel universe where the average national wage is about 5mil pounds a year.
Football is a different world. That's obvious.

Also I'm taking transfer fees between football clubs, not wages.

Bondi77

Football is a different world. That's obvious.

Also I'm taking transfer fees between football clubs, not wages.
All good mate, it just really pisses me off with the amount of money that goes on in football.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He will go to the highest bidder.
Exactly. Had Chelsea got an offer accepted in January he'd have went there. He actually asked to be let go when Arsenal put an offer in. He's still giving interviews saying he was close to leaving and was disappointed at the time it didn't happen, and is still liking Arsenal related posts on social media and saying he hopes Arsenal win the league.
I think if Utd or City were to bid and get an offer accepted, he'd go to either of them as well.

I certainly wouldn't rule out Arsenal going back in for him in the summer. Whether they bid enough to get Brighton to accept, that's another story, but i can certainly see them bidding £80M and at least trying again.

Last edited:

mav_9me

He was also loaned to Club in Belgium as well , I don't think he would have developed well at United at all .
That's the part people always forget. At Brighton nobody cares about a 5m £ signing from Ecuador.

The best we have developed would be Amad. And we have so much discussion about him needing another loan vs being back up for Antony. Imagine if he was bought by Brighton for 10m£ from Belgium. He would be getting invaluable game time for them and developing nicely.

It's just different. We need to be very meticulous and planned in how we develop any talent. Same goes for all the big clubs. And everyone knows how meticulous we have been for the last 10 yrs.

marktan

That would be Mitoma imo.

He is a nice player but in his position, for the money they would want, you need to be a consistent match winner at a top side - Salah, Mane, Mahrez, Sterling (at city), Rashford, Son, Vinicius - that’s what €100 million should get you.

He is more like Antony, or Fati or Coman or Dembele type player. Incredible technique and you can appreciate him on many levels - he is not gonna take the lead and win games for you on his own consistently.
I think he's more like Jota, a very good player that could go up a level. Easy to forget that this is his first year of top level football. But yeah I agree he's not there yet currently. But could be a great punt for someone at the £50m level mark.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yikes. I’m staying out of this thread tonight :lol:

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
I feel bad for these players like Ceicedo and Modryk. They get sold for astronomical figures and then they are expected to have imitidiate impact.

Whenever they make a mistake the internet is there to troll them. The players does not decide their selling price.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I feel bad for these players like Ceicedo and Modryk. They get sold for astronomical figures and then they are expected to have imitidiate impact.

Whenever they make a mistake the internet is there to troll them. The players does not decide their selling price.
Did you have same empathy for Coutinho, Dembélé and Griezmann? ;)

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
We are in no position to say anything negative about other teams or their players after yesterday.
Feck that. If there’s something in football that gives me joy when my own team is doing poorly, I’ll grab on to that with both hands :lol:

FriedClams

I contend that you signed a younger player, with a fan base who have considerably greater expectation on big $ signings, and he immediately flourished.

Enigma_87

You know who

Mudryk is there since January, but the issue with him is that he never proved his worth, unless you count handful of games in Ukraine.

Status
Not open for further replies.