More little kids gunned down in America by the Well Regulated Militia (Nashville)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Don't all 50 states allow citizens to carry a handgun? I'd say that's pretty normalized.
All 50 states would also allow me to set up a microbiology lab in my basement (with proper regulation and permitting of course), but I would not say that’s normalized.

I’ve lived in Bama, WI, and now NC and I can count on one hand the times I’ve seen open carry from a non-LEO. It’s not normal in the cities to see it.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
If they won't do anything after Sandy Hook, nothing will.

And it's ironic that one of the congressmen literally told the TikTok CEO that their app was killing people. Isnt it the case of apps dont kill people. People kill people?

Hoof the ball

Watched the bodycam footage of the cop "taking care" of the school shooter. School shooter never stood a chance. Cop was composed and marine about it. Just watching bodycam footage makes me feel anxious; Lord only knows how they keep their heads.

bosskeano

let's not politicize this .....this one really hit home as one of the children killed in this tragic event is a friend of the family

you can put blame where ever you want but at the end of the day there are families suffering because they'll never get to see their daughters, son, mom and father walk thru the door again and give them a hug or tell them they love them

don't honestly give a flying shit right now whether you're a dem or rep.....anyone taht is willing to kill a CHILD, a young kid who hasn't even been able to dream yet or even begin to live their life..something is very wrong with that person. We as a society failed....failed the children, failed the school because we didnt protect them.....we failed the shooter b/c clearly she had mental issues and someone along her life failed to get her help when i'm sure the signs were there.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
let's not politicize this .....this one really hit home as one of the children killed in this tragic event is a friend of the family

you can put blame where ever you want but at the end of the day there are families suffering because they'll never get to see their daughters, son, mom and father walk thru the door again and give them a hug or tell them they love them
No let's, there is one side that let's this happen

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
We as a society failed....failed the children, failed the school because we didnt protect them.....we failed the shooter b/c clearly she had mental issues and someone along her life failed to get her help when i'm sure the signs were there.
This is all politics though.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
All 50 states would also allow me to set up a microbiology lab in my basement (with proper regulation and permitting of course), but I would not say that’s normalized.

I’ve lived in Bama, WI, and now NC and I can count on one hand the times I’ve seen open carry from a non-LEO. It’s not normal in the cities to see it.
Something like 36 states allow open carry. The rest allow some form of concealed carry. Being armed in public is definitely considered normal even if you don't see it.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

don't honestly give a flying shit right now whether you're a dem or rep.....anyone taht is willing to kill a CHILD, a young kid who hasn't even been able to dream yet or even begin to live their life..something is very wrong with that person. We as a society failed....failed the children, failed the school because we didnt protect them.....we failed the shooter b/c clearly she had mental issues and someone along her life failed to get her help when i'm sure the signs were there.
It just keeps going, so many more families like your friends will suffer. It's horrific. I'm so sorry for you and your friends family, such empty words at the end of the day as it's a children that continually get murdered for no fecking reason.

RedDevil@84

Sorry to hear that.

I hope you are not one of the "Guns don't kill, people do" guys. There is no way this is not politicized. Politicians have everything to do with this. And in countries like US where bribery of a lawmaker is protected by lobbying laws, it is everything.

bosskeano

@RedDevil@84 @RedSky @Maagge No...i'm not one of those. Obvious that i side with the right however i think there is ZERO reason to sell assault rifles to citizens. You can't hunt with them as it is illegal so they really only have one purpose. I have no issue with the 2nd Amendment and right to bear arms to have in your home for protection but assault rifles aren't for protection, they are for slaughter. Sadly though, they are out there and you can get them legally or illegally and no chance will criminals give them up. Yes, it is all politics from both sides which is why we have these damn things happening but WTF is wrong with people targeting children???? i mean ffs what does a 8 or 9 yr old have to do with any of this? why schools? they play no part in any of these politics.

Sorry..just a hard morning with the funeral/memorial being set for this weekend and actually finding out one of my players dad was with the dad of one of the girls when he received the call that his daughter had been shot and on the way to the hospital. Just a tough phone call and conversation.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
America's Rifle:

I've seen gun experts argue that there's nothing about the AR-15 that inherently makes it a particularly good option for school shooters, with other weapons available that would be more effective if they opted to use them. But they opt for the AR-15 simply because they know it's what other school shooters used, because if you're not an expert then copying what others have done is a safe route to go.

To my mind that's even more of an argument against the AR-15. We know these school-shooters tend to study and be inspired by each other, so breaking that easy ability to directly copycat makes sense. Given that nature of the school shooter phenomenon, it's not good to have what is effectively a school-shooter brand gun easily available. Don't give them that easy feed into that iconography.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
@RedDevil@84 @RedSky @Maagge No...i'm not one of those. Obvious that i side with the right however i think there is ZERO reason to sell assault rifles to citizens. You can't hunt with them as it is illegal so they really only have one purpose. I have no issue with the 2nd Amendment and right to bear arms to have in your home for protection but assault rifles aren't for protection, they are for slaughter. Sadly though, they are out there and you can get them legally or illegally and no chance will criminals give them up. Yes, it is all politics from both sides which is why we have these damn things happening but WTF is wrong with people targeting children???? i mean ffs what does a 8 or 9 yr old have to do with any of this? why schools? they play no part in any of these politics.

Sorry..just a hard morning with the funeral/memorial being set for this weekend and actually finding out one of my players dad was with the dad of one of the girls when he received the call that his daughter had been shot and on the way to the hospital. Just a tough phone call and conversation.
No need to apologise for venting after shit like that happening. I'm sorry to hear about it.

I'll just never understand why we can't politicize it. It's all politics, no matter how much republicans (Americans?) want to pretend it isn't.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Something like 36 states allow open carry. The rest allow some form of concealed carry. Being armed in public is definitely considered normal even if you don't see it.
It's not considered normal though. The one or two times a I saw some redneck in a store open carrying he was getting side looks from almost everyone and people were actively avoiding getting near him. Again, this is in the cities as I would assume that in rural areas the mentality would be much different.

Simbo

The bodycam footage of this is one hell of a contrast to whatever went on at Uvalde. At least the responders to this one were highly trained, willing and ready. Lets hope they are never needed again... ha.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's not considered normal though. The one or two times a I saw some redneck in a store open carrying he was getting side looks from almost everyone and people were actively avoiding getting near him. Again, this is in the cities as I would assume that in rural areas the mentality would be much different.
On a side note that may support your point. A few years ago it was reported that the majority of americans are against the idea of owning a firearm let alone carrying one openly and the vast majority are for stringent gun control.

RedDevil@84

On a side note that may support your point. A few years ago it was reported that the majority of americans are against the idea of owning a firearm let alone carrying one openly and the vast majority are for stringent gun control.
It is pointless though. It is not a voting differentiator meaning hardly anyone drops support for their candidate because s/he is not talking about gun control.

JPRouve

Scout
It is pointless though. It is not a voting differentiator meaning hardly anyone drops support for their candidate because s/he is not talking about gun control.
How is it pointless when they were talking about how likely it is to see someone open carry? If people are massively against owning a firearm and also for more control, then it's only a minority and in this case a small minority that will open carry.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I will never understand anyone who owns anything other than a hunting rifle or shotgun, and even those took me a while to accept. Why would you want to own something that's sole function is to kill or maim? Why would you want to put money into any industry who literally profits (gun sales go up!!) off of the slaughter of children. There is no need to own a handgun. None. Protection? feck off unless you also own an AED in your house. Both are tools and both can be purchased (although I bet there are more laws around AED's). Oh, and you are exponentially more likely to die of a heart attack then being shot in your own home. Unless you are a little kid, but feck those little shits. Right gun owners?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

I've seen gun experts argue that there's nothing about the AR-15 that inherently makes it a particularly good option for school shooters, with other weapons available that would be more effective if they opted to use them. But they opt for the AR-15 simply because they know it's what other school shooters used, because if you're not an expert then copying what others have done is a safe route to go.

To my mind that's even more of an argument against the AR-15. We know these school-shooters tend to study and be inspired by each other, so breaking that easy ability to directly copycat makes sense. Given that nature of the school shooter phenomenon, it's not good to have what is effectively a school-shooter brand gun easily available. Don't give them that easy feed into that iconography.
Yet most deaths in America are by hand guns. A vast majority. Even most mass shootings are not from AR's.

I personally don't care for AR-15s and the government can ban them but that honestly wont achieve anything. It's a silly obsession. Rather put effort into strict background checks and tighter laws on who can get guns in general.

People like to mention extreme measures like ban all guns or weird ones like ban all AR-15s when the most obvious one is just a more strict background check similar to a drivers license. Right now it's really easy to go to a store and buy a rifle or shotgun (and weirdly, in my town its very difficult to obtain a handgun)

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Are you guys not talking at slight cross purposes here though? I don't feel like you're necessarily saying things which are mutually exclusive.

I have seen videos of Americans walking around with guns in town centres etc and they may get a few off glances here and there but for the most part people seemed to be going about their business. A friend who lived in the states has mentioned something similar.

It doesn't mean it's necessarily that normal....but certainly significantly more so than in pretty much any European country where, as I think someone earlier in the thread rightly pointed out, such an event would elicit panic and a strong police response.

JPRouve

Scout
Yet most deaths in America are by hand guns. A vast majority. Even most mass shootings are not from AR's.

I personally don't care for AR-15s and the government can ban them but that honestly wont achieve anything. It's a silly obsession. Rather put effort into strict background checks and tighter laws on who can get guns in general.

People like to mention extreme measures like ban all guns or weird ones like ban all AR-15s when the most obvious one is just a more strict background check similar to a drivers license. Right now it's really easy to go to a store and buy a rifle or shotgun (and weirdly, in my town its very difficult to obtain a handgun)
Would a strict background check actually make a big difference? It's only an impactful action if criminal activities or accidents aren't the main sources of death. In both of these cases the volume of deaths will always be linked to the volume of firearms in circulation whether they are legally owned or not.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Would a strict background check actually make a big difference? It's only an impactful action if criminal activities or accidents aren't the main sources of death. In both of these cases the volume of deaths will always be linked to the volume of firearms in circulation whether they are legally owned or not.
Suicide by gun is a bigger number than murder & accidents combined. A national mandatory waiting or cooling off period could be impactful in lessening those particular gun deaths.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
See the life expectancy for Americans thread. When a species or demographic starts to devolve, extinction is often not far away. Nearly always self inflicted.
Doesn't solve the problem of the anti-gun people who don't own guns getting caught up in that shit. It would be good if the media were able to identify any victims as gun owners or not. That would be a big help in saving my energy.

JPRouve

Scout
Suicide by gun is a bigger number than murder & accidents combined. A national mandatory waiting or cooling off period could be impactful in lessening those particular gun deaths.
I didn't think about that option but it adds to my question. None of the three deaths causes are fixed with more strict background checks.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Are you guys not talking at slight cross purposes here though? I don't feel like you're necessarily saying things which are mutually exclusive.

I have seen videos of Americans walking around with guns in town centres etc and they may get a few off glances here and there but for the most part people seemed to be going about their business. A friend who lived in the states has mentioned something similar.

It doesn't mean it's necessarily that normal....but certainly significantly more so than in pretty much any European country where, as I think someone earlier in the thread rightly pointed out, such an event would elicit panic and a strong police response.
It took me a while to get used to seeing our friendly local police with guns on their belts, having not experienced that in the UK. Hunting is popular here in Italy and I often see the old guys meeting up outside the bar, with rifles over their shoulders. That's more than enough guns.

The police really don't need them here, where the worst crime is an occasional theft of a lawnmower from someone's shed.

HTG

Supports
Bayern

I don’t think it’s extreme to demand a ban on something that has the sole purpose of killing someone. I actually think that’s reasonable.
Background checks will still not prevent guns slipping into the wrong hands. They will reduce the death toll. That’s obviously a good thing. But banning all guns would reduce it even further. And before someone mentions it, I really don’t care about hunting or sport-shooting. Tough luck for those who do. They need to find other hobbies. That’s life.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I didn't think about that option but it adds to my question. None of the three deaths causes are fixed with more strict background checks.
Not fixed, but the overall damage could be ameliorated. This problem isn’t zero sum. Background checks / waiting periods would lessen the carnage.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I don’t think it’s extreme to demand a ban on something that has the sole purpose of killing someone. I actually think that’s reasonable.
Background checks will still not prevent guns slipping into the wrong hands. They will reduce the death toll. That’s obviously a good thing. But banning all guns would reduce it even further. And before someone mentions it, I really don’t care about hunting or sport-shooting. Tough luck for those who do. They need to find other hobbies. That’s life.
Well that's just not how policy gets enforced into action. Even if you ignore why it's an extreme measure on its own, it can't be implemented. The obvious measure is targeting background checks. BTW just so people know how silly a total ban on guns would be even the most progressive far left politician we have, Bernie Sanders, does not propose that. There is a reality to life in America outside cities that I think Europeans in particular don't fully understand.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Well that's just not how policy gets enforced into action. Even if you ignore why it's an extreme measure on its own, it can't be implemented. The obvious measure is targeting background checks. BTW just so people know how silly a total ban on guns would be even the most progressive far left politician we have, Bernie Sanders, does not propose that. There is a reality to life in America outside cities that I think Europeans in particular don't fully understand.
That's absolutely right of course. But that still doesn't make it an extreme demand. Just an extremely unrealistic one.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Lets not politicize this by not tackling the people who repeatedly cause this because I know someone personally who was affected. Who do you think allows this kind of tragedy to happen regularly? This burying your fecking head in the sand isnt helping.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
That's just it, all that happens is a side look and perhaps avoidance. In other countries a person with a gun usually evokes more concern and even a police response. In the US that doesn't happen until that person starts killing people.

RedDevil@84

At least US has got its priorities right

Wisconsin school district bans Miley Cyrus-Dolly Parton duet with ‘rainbow’ in title

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/28/ente...y-cyrus-dolly-parton-wisconsin-cec/index.html

Students were also set to perform “Rainbowland,” a 2017 duet by Miley Cyrus and her godmother, Dolly Parton, with lyrics that advocate for inclusion. Tempel started rehearsing with her students as soon as the song was suggested by another faculty member and approved by Tempel and her co-teacher. Her first graders, she said, need as much time as they can get to learn the songs by heart ahead of the concert, just before Mother’s Day.

“My students loved it immediately,” Tempel told CNN of her classroom’s reaction to “Rainbowland.”

But within one day of students learning the song, Tempel said that school administration asked her to remove “Rainbowland” from the concert. In a statement, the district said it called for the song to be removed because its lyrics “could be deemed controversial” according to a school board policy on controversial issues in the classroom.

“Wouldn’t it be nice to live in paradise, where we’re free to be exactly who we are,” Cyrus and Parton sing. “Living in a Rainbowland, where you and I go hand in hand. Oh, I’d be lying if I said this was fine, all the hurt and the hate going on here.”

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Think I posted this somewhere else without comment, but it is absolutely galling how unperturbed these fecking ghouls are regarding the deaths of children on their watch.

Tennessee Holler is an amazing follow on Twitter.