Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I think he's pretty similar to Matic, a player who went from arguably best in the league at his position 1 season to utterly terrible and dropped the next.

We have a lot of games this year, he'll get plenty of time to prove himself.

Kag

He's barely had a kick this season. I'm not entirely sure how any criticism is justified right now.

Mike09

I am talking about a players skill set here. Kanye, Coquelin and Schneiderlin are the same kind of players they are in the team to break up play and give the ball to more talented teammates, none are going to blow you mind away on the ball, none are going to build up play for you. So from that perspective they are on a similar level. Lassana Diarra is a good dm for the record. He can defend and he's good on the ball. The most talented out of that list including Matuidi but let's not get sidetracked. What choices a manager makes is up to him it doesn't really impact my opinion on what a player is capable of once I've watched them enough.

Schnedierlin is good enough to be a squad player here and he would start in certain games.
Nope you didn't talk about Schneiderlin being the same kind of player. You said Schneiderlin was the same quality. Same quality and same type of player are two different thing. Scott Parker is the same kind of player with Kante but different quality. Schneiderlin is the same kind of player with Kante but different quality. Schneiderlin isn't even good enough to be a squad player I'm afraid. Not only lacks of quality but he's pretty limit player and neither versatile to be considered as a squad player. Unless if you want United to be challenging 4th place or 5th only then he will be enough for a squad player, and so does Fellaini. I'm looking at bigger aspect on Manchester United as a club who is challenging the league title.

Mike09

He's barely had a kick this season. I'm not entirely sure how any criticism is justified right now.
He's barely done anything good when he played, I'm not entirely sure how people can still think he's good enough. Fans tend to think that playing well at Southampton means you definitely also can be good enough for Manchester United.

Kag

He's barely done anything good when he played, I'm not entirely sure how people can still think he's good enough. Fans tend to think that playing well at Southampton means you definitely also can be good enough for Manchester United.
He had good games last season, something many of his detractors conveniently like to forget.

He's started two games all season. He's done alright in those games, while not overly impressive, but has had nowhere near enough opportunity to stake a claim in the first team.

Schneiderlin is a good player that can help the balance of this United side if given a run of games. There are players in midfield at teams like Liverpool and Spurs that are around about the same level that excel because the team shape allows them to do so.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He had good games last season, something many of his detractors conveniently like to forget.
I never saw any of these games. In fact, in match day threads there were many times where I didn't actually realise he was playing and commented on this.
I did ask others about him and they replied with the words, "silent domination". Whatever that means.
Now if we compare with him Fellaini - Fellaini never plays a game where we don't realise he is actually on the pitch. He is constantly attempting to make a nuisance of himself and never goes missing.

There are players in midfield at teams like Liverpool and Spurs that are around about the same level that excel because the team shape allows them to do so.
This, I do agree with.
I still believe that he is a player who would be regularly starting for a team aiming for 5th-8th place.
In his last 3 seasons, the team he has featured for has finished in those league positions.

While Morgan can be a squad player for us, I don't believe he'd be a starter for a team aiming to win the league title.

Kag

I never saw any of these games. In fact, in match day threads there were many times where I didn't actually realise he was playing and commented on this.
I did ask others about him and they replied with the words, "silent domination". Whatever that means.
Now if we compare with him Fellaini - Fellaini never plays a game where we don't realise he is actually on the pitch. He is constantly attempting to make a nuisance of himself and never goes missing.
You've forgotten about them, because he was widely praised when he did play well. He was often one of our better players when we played in the bigger matches and we seldom lost games when he did start.

Fellaini is an interesting comparison, now you mention him. He was praised at the beginning of this season for putting in the kind of performances that Schneiderlin will usually attract criticism for. In essence, keeping it simple, winning loose balls and sitting infront of the defence.

Schneiderlin can do that for us alongside the likes of Herrera and Pogba and I'd like to see him given that opportunity on a somewhat regular basis.

With all that said, he does need to do more when he has the ball. I think he's capable, too, given how he played at Southampton.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

He's started two games all season. He's done alright in those games, while not overly impressive, but has had nowhere near enough opportunity to stake a claim in the first team.

Schneiderlin is a good player that can help the balance of this United side if given a run of games. There are players in midfield at teams like Liverpool and Spurs that are around about the same level that excel because the team shape allows them to do so.
What games were you watching?? Name them! People just need to accept that this guy just ain't good enough for United. Not even in the French squad now. He needs to move on.

Kag

What games were you watching?? Name them! People just need to accept that this guy just ain't good enough for United. Not even in the French squad now. He needs to move on.
I can't remember specific games but if you don't have the life then I'm pretty sure you can look back at his player performance thread from last season and remind yourself (and me). There was even frustration that he wasn't getting regular games as the season progressed.

Like most of our team, Rashford and Martial aside, the wheels fell off December onwards and many players have taken a hit as a result.

Play Schneiderlin in this side on a regular basis and he'll do a good job. Our attackers will sort out the goalscoring, and he'll do a very solid job of pressing the opposition, winning back the ball, and giving it to the players that can really cause damage. He'd likely chip in with 4 of 5 goals, something he did regularly while at Southampton.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Last edited:

Mike09

What good game? The only games I can think of are Spurs first game and City away. The rest of his performances were absolutely not showing why he has to be in the team. The same level? Dier is the same level as Schneiderlin? Schneiderlin might be good enough for Liverpool because they fight for 4th or 5th place.

manutddjw

I watched him quite a bit at Southampton and he was very good there. His signing made sense. We needed midfielders, and he was a good one.

If I had to guess, I'd say the reason for him being disappointing so far is more mental than a lack of talent. He seems to be another in a long list of players who suddenly became terrified of making any mistake and resorted to passing sideways and hoping someone else would take responsibility.

The BlackGaijin

People are angry at Depay but at least he is trying. Morgan, every time I saw him on our pitch did not seem to give two fecks whether we won or lost. He is such a disappointment. We need to be fair in our criticism if Depay and even Lingard are not good enough, then he isn’t good enough to be a squad member.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What good game? The only games I can think of are Spurs first game and City away. The rest of his performances were absolutely not showing why he has to be in the team. The same level? Dier is the same level as Schneiderlin? Schneiderlin might be good enough for Liverpool because they fight for 4th or 5th place.
Look at the two teams you stated...

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
IIRC, our record with Schneiderlin was way better than without him. Surely, that's a good enough reason to give him more games

Kag

Dier and Schneiderlin do exactly the same thing. If anything, Schneiderlin has played further up the field and previously offered more to the attack.

It's all situational. Plonk Dier in that Van Gaal team last season and he'd have been torn to shreds on here. But what does he do? Blah, blah. Yet play him properly in an organised Spurs outfit that actually score goals then he receives the credit he deserves for doing his job. There's a reason Pochettino has wanted to sign Schneiderlin on multiple occasions now and if he were at Spurs we'd be watching a markedly different version of the same player.

Mike09

Look at the two teams you stated...
Are you telling me we should call Schneiderlin good enough based on two games?
If that so, then according to you Cleverley and Anderson are good enough because they had good games vs Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea in 2011/2012.

Mike09

Dier and Schneiderlin do exactly the same thing. If anything, Schneiderlin has played further up the field and previously offered more to the attack.

It's all situational. Plonk Dier in that Van Gaal team last season and he'd have been torn to shreds on here. But what does he do? Blah, blah. Yet play him properly in an organised Spurs outfit that actually score goals then he receives the credit he deserves for doing his job. There's a reason Pochettino has wanted to sign Schneiderlin on multiple occasions now and if he were at Spurs we'd be watching a markedly different version of the same player.
Again, doing the exact same thing is pretty much saying both of them have similar playing style but that doesn't mean both players offer the same quality. There is a reason why Schneiderlin is right now behind Fellaini and Herrera. There is a reason why Schneiderlin is right now behind Kante, Pogba and Matuidi. I never heard of Pochettino wanted to sign Schneiderlin but Spurs two seasons ago were just fighting for 5th and 4th place anyway so I already told you that I can't see anything wrong having Schneiderlin in a team if the expectation is 4th or 5th place. I highly doubt Pochettino wanted to do straight swap of Dier to Schneiderlin right now. No brain if he does that imo. Two different quality players.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Can someone name one single thing he's done well enough with any consistency at all since he's been at United?

It's all well and good arguing he used to be good before he was here, or he might be good if this or that happened, or if basically he got better.

None of those things really matter. When he's played for US he hasn't been good enough. Not consistently and not even in glimpses.

The thing that makes it not look good for him is that there is no redeeming quality there in his performances for us. Every area of his game hasn't been good enough...and you'd think if a player realises this they would be making sure that there was at least no lack of effort or concentration, but off the ball he constantly leaves his man, lets people run off him, and seems to just get caught day dreaming all the fecking time. That's not a confidence thing...it's a thing that gets you in the exact position he's in...not being considered ahead of anyone who is less guilty of these things.

We really need an answer in midfield at the moment so it doesn't say much for him that I wouldn't be especially concerned if he didn't appear for us again. If I was Mourinho he wouldn't be in my thinking unless there was some kind of serious and very apparent bucking up of ideas, and even then he has it all to prove.

ivaldo

Are you telling me we should call Schneiderlin good enough based on two games?
If that so, then according to you Cleverley and Anderson are good enough because they had good games vs Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea in 2011/2012.
When you take into consideration he was the best defensive midifelder in the league prior to signing for us then we should at least afford him the oppotunity to prove it.

Rockets Redglare

When you take into consideration he was the best defensive midifelder in the league prior to signing for us then we should at least afford him the oppotunity to prove it.
But he's done absolutely nothing since he came here, he's looks distinctly average in every way and looks to suit the mid table team he came from.
I've been massively disappointed in him because I'm assuming like you I thought he was the real deal. I'd like to give him a few more chances but he'll have to take them and show what he can do or I can't see him being at United next season.

Nope you didn't talk about Schneiderlin being the same kind of player. You said Schneiderlin was the same quality. Same quality and same type of player are two different thing. Scott Parker is the same kind of player with Kante but different quality. Schneiderlin is the same kind of player with Kante but different quality. Schneiderlin isn't even good enough to be a squad player I'm afraid. Not only lacks of quality but he's pretty limit player and neither versatile to be considered as a squad player. Unless if you want United to be challenging 4th place or 5th only then he will be enough for a squad player, and so does Fellaini. I'm looking at bigger aspect on Manchester United as a club who is challenging the league title.
Is this the Kante who did nothing before last season and has done pretty much nothing since?

Schneiderlin's best seasons have matched Kante's level but he has done it for longer. He deserved his chance to step up as much as anyone and as far as im concerned he hasn't really had a prolonged run to prove himself.

Kag

Again, doing the exact same thing is pretty much saying both of them have similar playing style but that doesn't mean both players offer the same quality. There is a reason why Schneiderlin is right now behind Fellaini and Herrera. There is a reason why Schneiderlin is right now behind Kante, Pogba and Matuidi. I never heard of Pochettino wanted to sign Schneiderlin but Spurs two seasons ago were just fighting for 5th and 4th place anyway so I already told you that I can't see anything wrong having Schneiderlin in a team if the expectation is 4th or 5th place. I highly doubt Pochettino wanted to do straight swap of Dier to Schneiderlin right now. No brain if he does that imo. Two different quality players.
Dier was playing in a shite, unorganised England side last night and duly played shite. He couldn't pass for toffee and nearly cost the team a goal. He put in the kind of performance he never does when playing for Spurs. Until a year ago people like you would never have given him a sniff, yet now it's conclusive that he has a lot more quality than Schneiderlin? Nah, not for me. With a bit of luck and a change in the wind then the player perceptions can change very, very quickly. Even Kante has attracted more criticism this season as a result of Chelsea's failures elsewhere.

Pochettino has tried to sign Schneiderlin at Spurs twice, if reliable journalists are to be believed. This was in the summer of 2014, as well as the summer just gone. I'm fairly sure they would have registered interest when we signed him last summer, too.

ivaldo

But he's done absolutely nothing since he came here, he's looks distinctly average in every way and looks to suit the mid table team he came from.
I've been massively disappointed in him because I'm assuming like you I thought he was the real deal. I'd like to give him a few more chances but he'll have to take them and show what he can do or I can't see him being at United next season.
If you're the best defensive midfielder in the league, you're the best defensive midfielder in the league, regardless of who you play for. He deserves a proper opportunity, which I don't beleive he's had since arriving here, that's all I'm saying.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
If you're the best defensive midfielder in the league, you're the best defensive midfielder in the league, regardless of who you play for.
I understand where you're coming from, but I think teams often have different requirements, especially stronger sides. A defensive midfielder at a top side will probably have a lot more of the ball than he would at a weaker side. If someone is a great ball winner but average on the ball, he could look world class for one team and impotent for another. To an extent it works the other way round too.

I do think you guys should persevere with him though, he's better on the ball than he's shown.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
positionally not good enough to be a pure DM for a club like United, and not good enough on the ball to be a defensive minded b2b for a club like United.

This guy really falls between two chairs.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
If you're the best defensive midfielder in the league, you're the best defensive midfielder in the league, regardless of who you play for. He deserves a proper opportunity, which I don't beleive he's had since arriving here, that's all I'm saying.
He's surpassed, I'd have Kante, Matic, Coquelin, that Everton guy whose name I cant bother to type, Dier, all easily ahead of him, including our own Blind.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He's surpassed, I'd have Kante, Matic, Coquelin, that Everton guy whose name I cant bother to type, Dier, all easily ahead of him, including our own Blind.
I agree that those players have surpassed Schneiderlin at this moment, with the exception of Blind (as a DM).

I haven't seen Blind have a good enough run of good games as a DM to convince me he's ahead of Schneiderlin, I think Blind is better as a CB or LB than a DM.

ivaldo

I'm talking about Southampton Schneiderlin, he was better than all of those imo, he was an absolute force at Southampton, I think may have forgotten just how good he was there.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I was with you for a second there ( because I no longer fancy the guy myself ) but then I do remember this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...anchester-Uniteds-most-important-signing.html

Dude looked real solid back then.
He did well, there.
But, lets not forget that that was against A.Villa.
A.Villa, who in my opinion was the worst club side I have ever seen in the EPL...going back over 2 decades!
Even Memphis did well against lower level opponents.

I'm talking about Southampton Schneiderlin, he was better than all of those imo, he was an absolute force at Southampton, I think may have forgotten just how good he was there.
There is no denying that Morgan was great for Southampton.
The problem is that I am not a Southampton supporter. I don't care how he plays for Southampton. I only care how he plays for MUFC and he has grossly under-performed for us.
If we play against lower level opponents, Morgan and Memphis can certainly do a good job for us, but against higher quality opponents, like Memphis, he should not be starting.

As a squad player he is fine. I have no issues with this. It's just that I don't believe he should ever be a start for MUFC.

Last edited:

Sammyjunn

He wasnt better than Kante last season, neither than Matic under Mourinho. He was very good but is looking more like a player who just isnt cut for a top side despite being a good player.

Sammyjunn

I agree that those players have surpassed Schneiderlin at this moment, with the exception of Blind (as a DM).

I haven't seen Blind have a good enough run of good games as a DM to convince me he's ahead of Schneiderlin, I think Blind is better as a CB or LB than a DM.
Blind as a DM was still better than Schneiderlin as a DM for us, not better than Morgan at Soton but in our setup I think Blind was better, brought the team far more in build up, creativity but obviously less in athleticism and height.

ivaldo

He wasnt better than Kante last season, neither than Matic under Mourinho. He was very good but is looking more like a player who just isnt cut for a top side despite being a good player.
Definitely better than Matic, it's a toss up between Kante.

Mike09

Is this the Kante who did nothing before last season and has done pretty much nothing since?

Schneiderlin's best seasons have matched Kante's level but he has done it for longer. He deserved his chance to step up as much as anyone and as far as im concerned he hasn't really had a prolonged run to prove himself.
You are overrating Schneiderlin. Schneiderlin's best season was nowhere near Kante's current level or last season. Unfortunately, this is Manchester United. He's not going to get many chances here. If he can't perform then he would be dropped which what happened end of last season and this season right now.

Mike09

Definitely better than Matic, it's a toss up between Kante.
I take this as a joke, not even fair to compare Kante with Schneiderlin, one can cover the ground so quickly and the other one tends to be indiscipline and losing his man. And also I can't see why you said Matic's 2014/2015 is definitely better than Schneiderlin.
Playing good for mid table club isn't always the same with playing good for EPL Champions. This shall be a lesson for you and also Schneiderlin played as a box to box at his best not as a defensive midfield. Unfortunately people like you got messed up with his best position due to statistic.
This is Manchester United! A big club and high expectation club. He's done absolutely nothing and not performing when he had his chance. So obviously there is always a limit of time we can give him and he won't get many chances in here.

This season will be his final season to prove which I think it will also be his final season with the club. Lack quality for first choice, lack to be versatile and a very limit player to be even in a squad player.

Mike09

Dier was playing in a shite, unorganised England side last night and duly played shite. He couldn't pass for toffee and nearly cost the team a goal. He put in the kind of performance he never does when playing for Spurs. Until a year ago people like you would never have given him a sniff, yet now it's conclusive that he has a lot more quality than Schneiderlin? Nah, not for me. With a bit of luck and a change in the wind then the player perceptions can change very, very quickly. Even Kante has attracted more criticism this season as a result of Chelsea's failures elsewhere.

Pochettino has tried to sign Schneiderlin at Spurs twice, if reliable journalists are to be believed. This was in the summer of 2014, as well as the summer just gone. I'm fairly sure they would have registered interest when we signed him last summer, too.
:lol: you are silly!!
Kante has attracted more criticism? Again another false statement. how did you get that crap from?
When I checked in the forum, the opposition fans actually fear of him when their team face Chelsea.
And from what I saw during the games he is Chelsea's best player at the moment.
And from what I heard from my Chelsea's fans mate, they are all happy with Kante's performance so far.

Rather than talking so much nonsenses to me by comparing Schneiderlin with Kante and Dier, what about we make this clear. I'll take Dier over Schneiderlin all day right now. What about you? Would you prefer Schneiderlin over Dier right now?

You are overrating Schneiderlin. Schneiderlin's best season was nowhere near Kante's current level or last season. Unfortunately, this is Manchester United. He's not going to get many chances here. If he can't perform then he would be dropped which what happened end of last season and this season right now.
Schneiderlin's best season was actually 2 or 3 seasons. Kante has had one equivalent season and there is no way the player at Chelsea is as good as Morgan was.

The point is he fully deserves his transfer to us and it's on him and us equally to help him recapture his best form.

ivaldo

I take this as a joke, not even fair to compare Kante with Schneiderlin, one can cover the ground so quickly and the other one tends to be indiscipline and losing his man. And also I can't see why you said Matic's 2014/2015 is definitely better than Schneiderlin.
Playing good for mid table club isn't always the same with playing good for EPL Champions. This shall be a lesson for you and also Schneiderlin played as a box to box at his best not as a defensive midfield. Unfortunately people like you got messed up with his best position due to statistic.
This is Manchester United! A big club and high expectation club. He's done absolutely nothing and not performing when he had his chance. So obviously there is always a limit of time we can give him and he won't get many chances in here.

This season will be his final season to prove which I think it will also be his final season with the club. Lack quality for first choice, lack to be versatile and a very limit player to be even in a squad player.
A 'lesson to me' hey? I shall return the favour, this isn't football manager mate, a defensive midfielder is a midfielder that contributes significantly defensively. But if you want to be pedantic then calling him a box to box midfielder would directly compare him to Pogba, would you say he plays the same as PP? Nah. Didn't think so.

You clearly seem to have entirely missed my point, either that or you have completely forgotten just how good Schneiderlin was before he joined us. It's fine if you think Kante performed to a higher standard last season than MS did at Southampton, but to call it a 'joke' gives me the impression you only just started watching football last week.

prath92

off the top of my head, there was arsenal home (MOTD even did a special analysis on him that day iirc), everton away, swansea home etc where he played really well. Most of the games he did the defensive part of the DM role well i thought. Its just that he has no attributes in creating an attack and therefore is limited in that aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.