Morgan Schneiderlin | BBC: Morgan Schneiderlin is currently having a medical at Manchester United.

Status
Not open for further replies.

itso 7

What kind of rationale is that ?

Coquelin makes more combined tackles + interceptions than any of them. Is he necessarily a better player than Xhaka and Schneiderlin ? Xhaka is excellent in the defensive aspect of the game, Schndeierlin having 1 more tackle + interception combined without adequate context doesn't change that.

For the not needing a playmaker part, it isn't Xhaka's primary function but something he's very good at as a #6 and can dictate the flow of the game from the deep simultaneously. He is a very defensively aware midfielder but at the same time, can be the puppeteer of the team with 80-90 passes every game like Alonso did for Madrid these past couple of seasons. It's an added value because he is multifaceted in that regard and ties in perfectly with Van Gaal's system of building from the defense.

As I said before, both would be quality additions to the United team. But Xhaka has the promise to be an absolute colossus in the center of the park once he becomes a bit more consistent. His developmental ceiling is substantially higher. He was excellent against United for Basel even at the age of 18 and has progressed to a whole new level since then. Plus he has valuable European experience with 27 matches played vs 0 for Schneiderlin.
For where we are at right now Schneiderlin is more ideal to our needs and the fact that he is proven in this league wins it for him. He will bring the right blend of physicality and technique to complement what Blind/Carrick and Herrera have to offer.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
For where we are at right now Schneiderlin is more ideal to our needs and the fact that he is proven in this league wins it for him. He will bring the right blend of physicality and technique to complement what Blind/Carrick and Herrera have to offer.
To be honest I don't understand how people are conclusively making sweeping judgements about Schneiderlin being better, more physical and more technical than Xhaka without watching the latter on a weekly basis for Monchengladbach. Nothing against Schneiderlin mind, he is a very good player and would be a quality signing and maybe even edges Xhaka right now. But Xhaka is almost as good defensively with more room for improvement under Van Gaal given his age profile, is more physical in his style of play and is technically, one of the best young midfielders around aside from being one of the top midfielders in the Bundesliga this season.

When you combine that with the fact that he is about 3 year younger than Schneriderlin and far removed from his prime and that Van Gaal will make him much more consistent it makes his case even more compelling in terms of projecting the final product. United as a club needs to be less inclusive and cast a wider net for potential transfer targets, rather than prioritizing Premier League experience. Paradoxically, if Xhaka transfers to some other club and comes good on his vast promise, we will have people turning around and critiquing the club for not jumping on the opportunity to sign a great young talent for about €20-25 million when we had the chance.

Ekeke

Why would Schneiderlin need to be more technical than he is? You'd think playing well in pretty much every big game he plays in would convince people he has all the assets needed, but no apparently despite being a top performer in every big match against the top teams, he's still not good enough because there are more technical players than he is. So who cares if he's the best player on the pitch? Someone else looks slightly more elegant and thats more important

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Why would Schneiderlin need to be more technical than he is? You'd think playing well in pretty much every big game he plays in would convince people he has all the assets needed, but no apparently despite being a top performer in every big match against the top teams, he's still not good enough because there are more technical players than he is. So who cares if he's the best player on the pitch? Someone else looks slightly more elegant and thats more important
Come on now, this is a pretty reductive argument to be fair and I'm not sure whether you're being deliberately obtuse. As I've been repeating thus far, Schndeirlin is a quality player, nowhere have I denied that. Yet you're trying to twist the argument to portray as if I'm implying elegance is paramount, which is quite disingenuous. You're acting as if Schneiderlin is the only one we should be looking at, period and he is the best player in that position we can go after. What I'm suggesting is that we should instead broaden our horizons and carefully study players from other league too (not just Xhaka mind, there are a lot of other talented options), since some of them are younger, at a very good standard already and are likely to have more long term promise than Schneiderlin by virtue of their age profile.

bucky

@Invictus @Ekeke Why not sign both? Especially if we are going to play 4-3-3, we could use both.

Schneiderlin

Ander Herrera - Xhaka
With Mata, Blind and Carrick as backup, we'd have quality and quantity in midfield for hopefully more games come next season.

gza the genius

I really hope we try to sign him, he'd be perfect for our midfield. Blind, Schneiderlin, and Herrera would have everything you'd want in a midfield three and that'd still leave us with Carrick, Mata, Fellaini to bring in as well.

itso 7

To be honest I don't understand how people are conclusively making sweeping judgements about Schneiderlin being better, more physical and more technical than Xhaka without watching the latter on a weekly basis for Monchengladbach. Nothing against Schneiderlin mind, he is a very good player and would be a quality signing and maybe even edges Xhaka right now. But Xhaka is almost as good defensively with more room for improvement under Van Gaal given his age profile, is more physical in his style of play and is technically, one of the best young midfielders around aside from being one of the top midfielders in the Bundesliga this season.

When you combine that with the fact that he is about 3 year younger than Schneriderlin and far removed from his prime and that Van Gaal will make him much more consistent it makes his case even more compelling in terms of projecting the final product. United as a club needs to be less inclusive and cast a wider net for potential transfer targets, rather than prioritizing Premier League experience. Paradoxically, if Xhaka transfers to some other club and comes good on his vast promise, we will have people turning around and critiquing the club for not jumping on the opportunity to sign a great young talent for about €20-25 million when we had the chance.
I hear you and have voiced the same frustrations about unheralded signings before. I just think that our needs are more immediate and for that reason I'd choose Schneiderlin as he is more likely to settle quicker.
But hey, if money is no problem, there is room for two midfield players looking at MC16's age and Blind's considerably lower ceiling which confines him to squad player status, in the final analysis.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I hear you and have voiced the same frustrations about unheralded signings before. I just think that our needs are more immediate and for that reason I'd choose Schneiderlin as he is more likely to settle quicker.
But hey, if money is no problem, there is room for two midfield players looking at MC16's age and Blind's considerably lower ceiling which confines him to squad player status, in the final analysis.
That's fair mate. Our needs are a bit immediate indeed, and maybe that necessitates a more finished article. That said, the reason I'd prefer someone like Xhaka or even Saul is that while Schneiderlin would be a better short term option, in a couple of seasons those two, among others would likely overtake Schneiderlin given their growth curve and would still barely be close to entering their prime at the age of 25 and 23 making their long term projection much more valuable in terms of years of service they could provide to the club, longer term quality or even resale value.

I'd even liken this particular case to the Shaw transfer from the summer. We could've probably gotten ourselves an experienced left back to take over from Evra because with his departure, it was an area that required immediate attention. But IMO we made the right choice by prioritizing a footballer with a higher ceiling because when a young player evidences greater promise, along with being more than decent right now, it's very difficult and perhaps a bit myopic to turn that opportunity down.

But yeah, you're right with the last part though. The club is loaded, we could do with multiple additions, so no harm in signing both to both refurbish the squad depth and ensure a stable foundation for years to come. :)

Hostekule

@Invictus @Ekeke Why not sign both? Especially if we are going to play 4-3-3, we could use both.

Schneiderlin

Ander Herrera - Xhaka
With Mata, Blind and Carrick as backup, we'd have quality and quantity in midfield for hopefully more games come next season.
I see people listing Di Maria on the wing all the time on the forum. I can understand it for this season, but have I missed something? Has LvG made it clear that he will be a winger for next season? Surely we'd rather play Di Maria than Xhaka in that formation?

Sam

Seems to be the exact kind of midfielder we still need, but I don't think we've been linked with him at all? All the rumours seem to be about Arsenal/Spurs wanting him.

bucky

I see people listing Di Maria on the wing all the time on the forum. I can understand it for this season, but have I missed something? Has LvG made it clear that he will be a winger for next season? Surely we'd rather play Di Maria than Xhaka in that formation?
That's just my personal preference and IMO it's better than him playing next to Herrera.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Doesn't seem to really matter who we sign lately, they'll inevitably end up wank or crocked.

But on a more serious side, I like Schneiderlin over Xhaka. He reminds me of Carrick just before he signed for us, a truly talented player who looks like he just need to sign for the right club to truly make the step up to be a world class player.

PvsNP

Schneiderlin is just the player we need. I hope he is one of the three players we reportedly have agreed deals with.

Hostekule

That's just my personal preference and IMO it's better than him playing next to Herrera.
Fair enough. Does that mean you'd want to see Di Maria on the wing next season?

@Invictus. Do you see Xhaka as good enough defensively to have Herrera and Di Maria in front of him. At least in games where we are expected to dominate.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
@Invictus. Do you see Xhaka as good enough defensively to have Herrera and Di Maria in front of him. At least in games where we are expected to dominate.
Certainly.

A Xhaka - Ander - Di Maria midfield trio has a lot of grit about it and the potential to be aesthetically similar to the one Madrid had with Alonso - Modric - Di Maria. Which kind of underlines the importance of having a deep lying midfielder/ pseudo defensive midfielder who has an expansive passing range to control the build up from deeper areas apart from being stout and tactically aware defensively. Again, just so I'm not misinterpreted this isn't to say Schneiderlin is incapable of going it. But long term, Xhaka or Saul have the potential to eventually become Javi Martinez or Xabi Alonso level of players.

Walters_19_MuFc

Clyne/Hummels, Depay and schneiderlin would be a better transfer window than last summer :)
You reckon? I never thought I'd see the day when United would sign, both Di Maria and Falcao at all, never mind in the same Summer. Despite it not working out too well for them at the moment, the reputation of those two made it arguably our best transfer window ever for me. Along with that, we got Shaw, Blind, Herrera and Rojo.

The signings you mentioned are good, and I will be very happy if we get them, but I personally wouldn't say it'd be a better window than last Summer - in terms of player reputations anyway.

Devil may care

Schneiderlin

Ander Herrera - Xhaka
This would be great to see, it would give us the kind of physical midfield we haven't had in a decade and still retains great passing quality.

I think the general view is LvG prioritizes possession in midfield along with accuracy in passing, Di Maria takes too many risks and loses the ball too often for that, which is why most having him playing on the wing. You only have to look at how Ander has slowed his game down since getting back into the team to see this.

bucky

Fair enough. Does that mean you'd want to see Di Maria on the wing next season?

I wanted to see di Maria on the wing all along, since I didn't think we had the central midfielders to complement him and we've been lacking a great winger for more than a few years now. What I'm trying to say is that we have Herrera and Mata for creativity through the centre and we need di Maria's creativity more in the wide areas.

Oo0AahCantona

He's certainly a player we should be looking at. Alongside veratti, pogba, gundogan, strootman and matuidi as other targets.

Bwuk

£25m would do the trick. Over on Southampton forum, they expect him to leave this summer, and are targeting Clasie to replace him, and have high hopes for
Harrison Reed.

PvsNP

Schneiderlin
Verratti Herrera​
Unless we are willing to pay crazy, crazy money for Verratti, we won't get him. I'm talking about around £80m-£100m. PSG won't let him go.

PvsNP

That much ? really ?
That's what I'd expect. For instance, they have managed to turn down offers from Barca for Thiago Silva and Marquinhos. Furthermore, the PSG owner has praised Verratti on multiple occasions and said that he is the future of PSG. There's simply no way we're getting him.

PvsNP

There's talk about Juve and PSG swapping Pogba for Verratti.
Can't see it happening. If PSG want Pogba, they will just outright buy him. I don't think FFP will stop them in the upcoming transfer window.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
That's what I'd expect. For instance, they have managed to turn down offers from Barca for Thiago Silva and Marquinhos. Furthermore, the PSG owner has praised Verratti on multiple occasions and said that he is the future of PSG. There's simply no way we're getting him.
Unless we showed interest and he told the club he wants to leave, id expect us to pay 50 million, if Kroos went for 30 million, and is only 2 years older, and as talented a player on his day, aswell as winning the world cup and champions league in the last year, how PSG could justify an extra 50 million is crazy, if a player wants to leave they couldnt price every team in the land out of the water to force him to stay

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Wasn't too convinced last season but having seen him play a good few matches this season, I think he's a natural replacement for Carrick.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Unless we are willing to pay crazy, crazy money for Verratti, we won't get him. I'm talking about around £80m-£100m. PSG won't let him go.
I think £30m plus Mata (if LvG doesn't want him around next season) should do it.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Unless we showed interest and he told the club he wants to leave, id expect us to pay 50 million, if Kroos went for 30 million, and is only 2 years older, and as talented a player on his day, aswell as winning the world cup and champions league in the last year, how PSG could justify an extra 50 million is crazy, if a player wants to leave they couldnt price every team in the land out of the water to force him to stay
Kroos had a year left on is contract and the whole world knew him and Bayern will never reach a deal for a new one. Verratti is signed to 2019 and does not have a release clause.

AkaAkuma

How good is he going forward - he's praised a lot for his defensive reading, but we need a box to box player who can get 5+ goals a season.

Lot of people talking on here about #6s, but we've got two of those already - whats clear is we want Strootman or as close a player to him as possible.

pascell

How good is he going forward - he's praised a lot for his defensive reading, but we need a box to box player who can get 5+ goals a season.

Lot of people talking on here about #6s, but we've got two of those already - whats clear is we want Strootman or as close a player to him as possible.
We have a box to box who can score 5+ goals a season, he's called Ander Herrera.

Bojan11

Carrick is 34 and needs replacing soon. Schneiderlin is his ready made replacement.

Ekeke

Better defensively, but a fairly good passer. Just not going to create chances on a regular basis

Has 3 league goals so far this season and got 5 league goals last season

Edit - quoted wrong person

Status
Not open for further replies.