Most complete footballer ever?

Threesus

It has to be Messi, right? At least from an attacking perspective. Although he is not that good at headers( before anyone mentions it, I know he scored via a header in a CL final against us)

is there any footballer who was good both at attacking(puts up the numbers) and defending(tackles, interceptions and the like)? Maybe @Invictus can help here.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Ruud Gullit could do pretty much everything.

Great in the air, great with his feet. Fast, strong, creative and brave.

I can't think of many flaws in his game.

Gandalf

Gareth Frank Bale, who else can spend the season skipping training to play golf and then come on in the CL final to score twice against the dippers including a contender for best CL final goal ever.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think those that’s did a bit of everything, winning the ball back, carrying it forward, good distribution and being leaders on the field are the best shouts for most complete.

Di Stefano, Beckenbauer, even Matthaus from a more contemporary perspective. Someone who could genuinely do it all at the highest level.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Tough finding someone who's good at:
Tackling
Passing
Finishing
Crossing
Tactics
Hold up play
Running
Goal-keeping
Stamina
Technique
Etc.

So I'm gonna say John O'shea.

Matt007a

Gullit and Matthaus were the first two I thought of. There are plenty of "complete" footballers who are 7 out of 10 or above in all areas, but to be 9 or 10 out of 10 in everything is extremely rare.

I think the two above could probably play in any outfield position and still be one of the best in the world at it, Gullit especially.

youngrell

Gullit and Matthaus were the first two I thought of. There are plenty of "complete" footballers who are 7 out of 10 or above in all areas, but to be 9 or 10 out of 10 in everything is extremely rare.

I think the two above could probably play in any outfield position and still be one of the best in the world at it, Gullit especially.
Same for me. Those two names immediately sprung to mind.

bsCallout

Great player but had many flaws, nowhere near complete.
What would you say they were? I thought defensively he was good, fantastic with the ball. He lacked certain things but as an all round player I though he was pretty complete.

Rooney is another that was pretty complete.

bsCallout

I'll have to watch some footage. Not really watched either.

largelyworried

Not a complete player as such, but John Charles is a thought. A world class player at both centre forward and centre back, not many of those about.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Young Keano isn't the worst shout. He was even a decent finisher.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Ruud Gullit could do pretty much everything.

Great in the air, great with his feet. Fast, strong, creative and brave.

I can't think of many flaws in his game.
That was the first one that came to my mind as well. Could play sweeper, midfield, out wide or up front and be world class anywhere.

Bole Top

is there any footballer who was good both at attacking(puts up the numbers) and defending(tackles, interceptions and the like)?
Passarella certainly had amazing goalscoring stats for defender. Koeman too.

Matt007a

I'll have to watch some footage. Not really watched either.
Definitely worth a look. Gullit was an amazing athlete. Think Kante but with Yaya Toure's power and size. On top of that he had world class technical ability.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Retired:
Gullit, original Ronaldo, Seedorf
Current:
Pogba. Wait with criticsm and here me out; he has pace, shot power, skill, creativity, strength, height, technique, dribble, good in air. Now, why he didn't became best mc in the world...that is another story

Lebowski

Of recent years Rooney is the one who immediately comes to mind.

He could tackle, press and had the positional sense to do whatever was asked, be that leading the press as a striker or giving cover to the full back as a more defensive winger.

Beyond that he was of course a superb finisher, was strong as an ox and had a terrifying sprint at his peak.

I feel like there mustn't be many sides in world football that couldn't accommodate Rooney somewhere in their front line such is his level of talent and versatility, combined with his selflessness to sacrifice his own glory for the overall benefit of the team.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Gullit, Beckenbauer, Matthäus come to my mind. Hard to decide as they all played in more or less different times.

I absolutely don't understand how people are thinking of Messi. Put him at CB and see opponent 9's score goals for fun, especially from crosses. Such a player may be great or even among the greatest ever, but he is surely not the most complete.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Ruud Gullit is the obvious one.

And to a lesser extent, Yaya Toure. At his peak he was pretty much everywhere, doing everything. Played at CB sometimes for Barca. Played quite deep for City, but then he'd go up and play almost as a 2nd striker when they needed a goal. He was very quick for a player his size too. At his best, you could probably have played him anywhere.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
How's Messi the most complete since he's short and doesn't partake in the defensive side of things?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Tough finding someone who's good at:
Tackling
Passing
Finishing
Crossing
Tactics
Hold up play
Running
Goal-keeping
Stamina
Technique
Etc.

So I'm gonna say John O'shea.
If we include goal keeping it's probably Neuer.

Oranges038

John O'Shea.

On top of playing every position, scoring some memorable goals, he even managed to meg Figo along the way.

Any excuse...