Most complete footballer ever?

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wayne Rooney. At his best, there wasn't much he couldn't do. Could play CF, CAM, RW, LW and CM all up to at least a 6 or 7/10. Had an eye for a pass, decent finisher, tackler, disciplined in his defensive duties, good at Set pieces and long-range shooting. Can't think of many flaws in his game.

Revan

Assumptionman
It has to be Messi, right? At least from an attacking perspective. Although he is not that good at headers( before anyone mentions it, I know he scored via a header in a CL final against us)

is there any footballer who was good both at attacking(puts up the numbers) and defending(tackles, interceptions and the like)? Maybe @Invictus can help here.
Nah. Not that good at headers, mediocre at penalties, no defensive/pressing contribution, no leadership/charisma.

I think he is the best ever, but he is not a complete player.

My vote would go to Di Stefano, but then I haven't watched near as much as him as I have of Messi. From modern players, probably Zidane.

Lynty

Peak Rooney could do everything. I'd put money on him being a better center back than Lindelof.

Teja

Never watched the Gullits and Rijkaards but for us Rooney has to be around the top. Could've played any outfield position bar CB and done a good job at it.

KeanoMagicHat

Rijkaard, Gullit, Beckenbauer, Breitner

More modern ones: Yaya Toure, Lahm, Kimmich, Alaba, Frenkie De Jong

bsCallout

Wayne Rooney. At his best, there wasn't much he couldn't do. Could play CF, CAM, RW, LW and CM all up to at least a 6 or 7/10. Had an eye for a pass, decent finisher, tackler, disciplined in his defensive duties, good at Set pieces and long-range shooting. Can't think of many flaws in his game.
Also decent in goal.

Redlyn

Gerrard? I don't know about ever but I feel he could play every position at a decent level.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Di Stefano - from what I've heard
Duncan Edwards - from what I've heard
Beckbenbauer - I think its safe to say he is the most completed defender ever
Pogba - from modern day football, I've never seen a midfielder as "completed" as him, whether he is performing on a consistence basis though is another issue
Rooney - I thought he is very all rounded, in the sense that he could score goals, create goals, work for the team, and be very agressive trying to win ball back
Messi - in terms of pure attacking sense, playmaker and goalscoring
Ronaldo - 07-14 version of him is most completed attacker/goalscorer I've ever seen - finishing, heading, pace, dribbling, tricks, strength, athleticism, long shots, freekicks, crossing, left foot, right foot, composed, driven etc

Last edited:

dronesoul

Your thoughts?
If you by complete mean most versatile player, as in very skilled at long passes, short passes, shooting, dribbling, heading, tactical knowledge, awareness, reading the play, technique (functional), technique (spectacular), attacking, defending, attitude, leadership and mentality, I’m gonna go with Zidane.

Messi sucks at defending and heading. CR7 is a more complete player but not as complete as Zidane or Rooney, CR7 for example lacks the team mentality. Not many players who are complete like that to pick from. Wazza is a real challenger to Zizou though.

Last edited:

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Im amazed that so few have said Pele but I guess its a sign that the majority of football fans today never saw him or are fully aware of why he was thought of as so great.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Surprised not many have said peak Rooney. The guy could do almost anything (except stay away from grannies).

a goalkeeper and 10 peak Rooneys would have been some team.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Ignore my previous post, you beat me to it. I agree though, he was a seriously versatile player with massive explosive power, aggression, instinct and skill in equal measures.

dronesoul

Was just a force of nature. Picked up the ball and ran at goal players left behind players bounced off him keepers embarrassed. Unreal.
Dude’s ball control with his acceleration and pace was out of this world. Can’t think of any player who is even close today.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Rijkaard, Gullit, Beckenbauer, Breitner

More modern ones: Yaya Toure, Lahm, Kimmich, Alaba, Frenkie De Jong
I didn’t even think about Kimmich but more about all-time greats (Matthäus, Gullit etc.). However Kimmich has already played as CB, FB, DM, Wingback and as a CM. I am pretty sure he could work as CAM as well.

dronesoul

Im amazed that so few have said Pele but I guess its a sign that the majority of football fans today never saw him or are fully aware of why he was thought of as so great.
I guess that it’s no coincidence that one of most complete players ever, Wayne Rooney, is known as White Pele.

Pughnichi

first thought was Matthäus

Valderama in with a shout. He used to be all over the place. Epic hair as well...which should def be an attribute on FM btw

thepolice123

Guillt is the obvious answer. Played every attacking positions for Milan. Played Sweeper/CB in the latter stages of his career. Guy could do everything on the pitch.

bsCallout

Di Stefano - from what I've heard
Duncan Edwards - from what I've heard
Beckbenbauer - I think its safe to say he is the most completed defender ever
Pogba - from modern day football, I've never seen a midfielder as "completed" as him, whether he is performing on a consistence basis though is another issue
Rooney - I thought he is very all rounded, in the sense that he could score goals, create goals, work for the team, and be very agressive trying to win ball back
Messi - in terms of pure attacking sense, playmaker and goalscoring
Ronaldo - 07-14 version of him is most completed attacker/goalscorer I've ever seen - finishing, heading, pace, dribbling, tricks, strength, athleticism, long shots, freekicks, crossing, left foot, right foot, composed, driven etc
Pogba?? :houllier: The bloke can't defend. Doesn't run enough. Doesn't score many. Doesn't take any set pieces.

Messi isn't complete at all. Just the best attacking player ever.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sir Bobby Charlton? Didn't he play at high level as an inside forward and also as a playmaking CM?

Kamprad

Mathias Sammer! Played everywhere during his career(except GK).