Most complete footballer ever?

RUCK4444

Ruud Gullit could do pretty much everything.

Great in the air, great with his feet. Fast, strong, creative and brave.

I can't think of many flaws in his game.
The obvious and, really, the only choice for the top spot.

Beckenbauer, Matthäus, Di Stéfano, Cruyff, Rijkaard all would be in the tier just below.
Surely R9 embodies these traits and I would have him a level above all those mentioned.

I mean he might be a tad below on creativity and in the air but peak Ronaldo is levels above these for pace, strength, ability, finishing, dribbling (and dribbling at insane speed.)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Im amazed that so few have said Pele but I guess its a sign that the majority of football fans today never saw him or are fully aware of why he was thought of as so great.
I’d have him as the most all-rounded attacker ever, but I don’t think that I’ve ever seen him contribute too much defensively (albeit not being a passenger).

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Surely R9 embodies these traits and I would have him a level above all those mentioned.

I mean he might be a tad below on creativity and in the air but peak Ronaldo is levels above these for pace, strength, ability, finishing, dribbling (and dribbling at insane speed.)
No, because Ronaldo did nothing off the ball and you’d have a bad time if you’d place him as a center back. I’m lying, you’ll have a great time watching him running from the back, bursting through players and scoring, but you’ll probably concede a bunch too.

Physically and technically they’ve shared some similarities with Gullit in that it looked like that combination of pace, strength and ball-control couldn’t exist. Ronaldo also mastered fast-paced dribbling and incisive runs better than probably anyone else in history (although Gullit was certainly a better passer). But the defensive deficiencies kinda hurt him in this particular discussion.

Gullit was also one of the best headers in history (in defense & in offense), he had an immense leap and being 191 cm tall also helped. Ronaldo rarely used his head, preferring to receive the ball on the ground, ideally already running.

Dante

Average bang
:lol:

How the feck are people calling Pogba complete? He's been at United for 5 years, and all we've ever heard about him is excuses for why he's incomplete.

Supposedly, he needs to be surrounded by runners or positioned in front of a Kante-like DM or played in a midfield 3 or played as a DLP or played off the left or played at #10 or played in a free role or played a disciplined role, etc.

Nobody knows how to get the best out of him. If he were truly complete, none of the above would be an issue.

Dante

Average bang
Yaya Toure
Him or Gullit.

Giggsy had a bit of everything as well. In particular, his tackling was always underrated. He must have reinvented himself about 5 times during his career. That's a pretty good indicator of completeness.

Rossa

:lol:

How the feck are people calling Pogba complete? He's been at United for 5 years, and all we've ever heard about him is excuses for why he's incomplete.

Supposedly, he needs to be surrounded by runners or positioned in front of a Kante-like DM or played in a midfield 3 or played as a DLP or played off the left or played at #10 or played in a free role or played a disciplined role, etc.

Nobody knows how to get the best out of him. If he were truly complete, none of the above would be an issue.
agreed! He’s not wven a complete midfielder.
CR9 and Messi are both complete attackers. Rio was pretty much the complete defender. Midfielder?

tomaldinho1

Gullit, Seedorf, Zidane etc. type are way more complete though - you could probably put them in any position on the pitch and they'd be better than most players.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Sir Bobby. Could score, create, dribble - all with both feet - head, play in an attacking role, play a more defensive minded one, was press resistant. As graceful as he was on the ball, you didn't have to ask twice for him to get stuck in. On top of all that, he was a true leader, too.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
On the other end, who's the least complete player ever. Surely it's Van de Beek?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I guess that it’s no coincidence that one of most complete players ever, Wayne Rooney, is known as White Pele.
Rooney is a good shout in this. I think that among some fans there is some negativity but he really was a huge all round talent

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Not a complete player as such, but John Charles is a thought. A world class player at both centre forward and centre back, not many of those about.
In no order in particular, Di Stefano, John Charles, Duncan Edwards

EDIT - Gullit is up there too.
Came into say John Charles. I’ve seen plenty of footage, but it still doesn’t give you the same sense of the player as having lived through their time as a footballer. I have spoken to Graham Williams of West Brom about him though and he paints a wonderfully insightful profile of him though. His ability to do everything, at both ends of the pitch certainly stands out. He rates him very highly, one of the best British players ever. Graham is someone who played at the very highest level also, captaining his team to an FA cup victory (and I think also losing one final to a Manchester United team with Best at his best). John Charles being world class at two positions is definitely an oddity

@Invictus , @Gio , @giorno or anybody else with a good grasp of historic football I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on him as a player.

The football club I used to play for also had a lounge named after Charles so there’s that too.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Sir Bobby. Could score, create, dribble - all with both feet - head, play in an attacking role, play a more defensive minded one, was press resistant. As graceful as he was on the ball, you didn't have to ask twice for him to get stuck in. On top of all that, he was a true leader, too.
Yeah definitely in with a shout for me. Clearly had all the attacking qualities to put him in that elite tier, but having the defensive nous and team ethic to completely mark someone like Beckenbauer out of the game is quite special, even compared to folks like Pélé and Cruyff. Didn't know di Stéfano exhibited that too but I wouldn't have put it past him!

There is a correct answer to this question and it is Alfredo Di Stefano

Only guy who could score a goal per game, while also being the team's main initiator from deep, playmaker in the final third, winger, etc.

Oh, and if needed, he could man mark the opponent's best player out of the game
Who?!

RUCK4444

No, because Ronaldo did nothing off the ball and you’d have a bad time if you’d place him as a center back. I’m lying, you’ll have a great time watching him running from the back, bursting through players and scoring, but you’ll probably concede a bunch too.

Physically and technically they’ve shared some similarities with Gullit in that it looked like that combination of pace, strength and ball-control couldn’t exist. Ronaldo also mastered fast-paced dribbling and incisive runs better than probably anyone else in history (although Gullit was certainly a better passer). But the defensive deficiencies kinda hurt him in this particular discussion.

Gullit was also one of the best headers in history (in defense & in offense), he had an immense leap and being 191 cm tall also helped. Ronaldo rarely used his head, preferring to receive the ball on the ground, ideally already running.
Yeah ok sorry so I think I’ve misunderstood the requirements here.
I didn’t think about it in a way of versatility in positions, just purely about how well rounded a player was for his specific position.

George the Cat

There is a correct answer to this question and it is Alfredo Di Stefano

Only guy who could score a goal per game, while also being the team's main initiator from deep, playmaker in the final third, winger, etc.

Oh, and if needed, he could man mark the opponent's best player out of the game
I remember Bobby Charlton being asked on A Question of Sport who he thought was the best player of all time was and he said Di Stefano.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah definitely in with a shout for me. Clearly had all the attacking qualities to put him in that elite tier, but having the defensive nous and team ethic to completely mark someone like Beckenbauer out of the game is quite special, even compared to folks like Pélé and Cruyff. Didn't know di Stéfano exhibited that too but I wouldn't have put it past him!
Couldn't agree more, mate! I was unaware of that side to di Stéfano as well.

I actually forgot to mention how Sir Bobby could dictate a game on top of his other attributes above. I remember watching our game against Milan from the 68-69 season when I was on a binge of holy trinity era games (so we were the holders of the cup, but Milan would go onto win it that season) and, even though they knocked us out, I was in awe of how everything went through Charlton.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Let's look at it from the different perspectives as 'complete' can mean many things:

- Complete as in elite with right foot, left foot, heading, dribbling, passing and shooting. How can the answer be anyone else but Pele?

- Complete as in versatility across the pitch. Gullit tends to win that by a landslide

- Complete as in who would be the strongest play cloned and multiplied as an xi of themselves? Gullit, Di Stefano and Beckenbauer with maybe Matthaus and Cruyff propping up the other slots.

There are legends around a few players from times before footage, but, as boring as it is, the guys mentioned have this stuff locked and are considered 'ever' for a reason.

If we take away heading, Nedved and Charlton are interesting ones as individuals given the seamless nature they could use either foot.

As an aside, xi prime Rooney's would be box office; basically an episode of Naruto. :lol:

RUCK4444

When I think of a "complete footballer", I need them to be able to play in multiple positions. How would Ronaldo do at centre back?
Yeah I replied to another poster on this, I wasn’t really thinking along those lines of playing in multiple positions.

To me personally the thread question implies who is the most well rounded player (in their relative position.

I mean, I’m not sure why the argument of playing in different positions even comes into it. Would you play Gullit in goal or on the wing?

Andersonson

Him or Gullit.

Giggsy had a bit of everything as well. In particular, his tackling was always underrated. He must have reinvented himself about 5 times during his career. That's a pretty good indicator of completeness.
Not a bad shout either. OrJavier Zanetti

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Yeah I replied to another poster on this, I wasn’t really thinking along those lines of playing in multiple positions.

To me personally the thread question implies who is the most well rounded player (in their relative position.

I mean, I’m not sure why the argument of playing in different positions even comes into it. Would you play Gullit in goal or on the wing?
On the wing, sure. I'd genuinely be comfortable with him in any position on the pitch at a very high level.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Bobby Moore once told me that Pele was the most complete player he'd ever played against and seen. Said apart from GK, he could have been world class in every position on the pitch

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Gullit played on the wing plenty for Milan and the Netherlands. Really, really well. Not the most elegant but a very powerful dribbler, great cross, very dangerous at the back post, and generally just very intelligent movement.

RUCK4444

On the wing, sure. I'd genuinely be comfortable with him in any position on the pitch at a very high level.
OK if we are looking at it from this perspective, Gullit is right up there.

Let me put it this way though, if you need a win, life or death, would you choose Gullit in your team over R9? I know I wouldn't. So that has to be factored in, the same way we are factoring in this ability to play in every position.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

Let me put it this way though, if you need a win, life or death, would you choose Gullit in your team over R9? I know I wouldn't. So that has to be factored in, the same way we are factoring in this ability to play in every position.
For a centre forward? Ronaldo of course. if you needed any other position then Gullit.

We're not talking about who it the better player, that's Ronaldo of course.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Ronaldo's heading was not great, which pretty much rules him out immediately in such esteemed company. What makes you think he was more complete than, say, Van Basten, for example?

RUCK4444

For a centre forward? Ronaldo of course. if you needed any other position then Gullit.

We're not talking about who it the better player, that's Ronaldo of course.
Yeah I get that. Just think it needs context because to me, versatility to play in multiple positions doesn't necessarily make you a better player (just like it doesn't in this exact comparison between these two players.)

Rooney was versatile but it's not what comes to mind when I think of him as a player. Whereas I also think Rooney was a very 'complete' player in his own position. I don't even know what point I'm trying to make :lol: