Gaming Most value for money game you've played?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Similarly Gran Turismo on the ps1 took alot of my free time and ,which I'm slightly embarrassed to admit, I only ever did one Tournament in the game continuously because the reward was ,I think, 10k.
I had a amazing garage,though.
The Citreon Visa had no chance against my done-up super Subaru Impreza.

Siorac

I got the entire Command and Conquer anthology for €10. Probably that, considering I like to replay the first four games every once in a while.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Yea that was the shift point in terms of multiplayer games no longer meaning you and your mates huddled around a tv playing 4 player split screen with throwing knives only on Egyptian. I wonder how many people will remember that reference.
Yeah, I agree. Yes, I bought a N64 for that game alone.

The scale of the GTA games is what I love about them, even after the main story there’s just such a crazy amount of stuff to do. To get 100% complete on those games takes serious dedication.
I think that's what has held me back from them as the latter day GTA's have coincided with me having kids.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I picked up physical PS1 copies of FF7, FF8 and FF9 when I had my PS2 10 or so years ago. Paid about £30 in total for them all. I can't begin to think of the amount of times I have replayed them and the hours I committed to them. It is a lot.

World of Warcraft is a good shout. Played plenty of MMOs but nothing comes close to its ability to keep you hooked despite it being shite at times.

Gran Turismo 4 and 5. I remember in high school I would share my save files with a mate. We would go round to each others on the weekend and do the endurance races together through the night.

FM 2016. My highest hour total on Steam of any game. I was hooked to that one as it's probably the only one where I managed to make a custom tactic that rifled everyone. I'm pretty sure that is the one where you could sometimes just play 2 different XIs rotated each week and the AI would be confused by this so you'd win. Made the game far too easy but it was fun sometimes too.

GTA V definitely too when I had my PS4. Didn't even want to play it but found myself playing the online aspect of it relentlessly. If more of my real life mates played it I wouldn't have went out much so I'm thankful that they didn't.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
PES series on ps2
GTA San Andreas
Zelda ocarina
Fire Emblem (all up to game cube vers.)
Skyrim
Dishonored
Dying Light
Super Mario Kart (various)

Games that demanded hours and hours of play.

Not been a serious gamer since 2016 or so, plus my genre is fighters, which is a whole other story, so much so it's better not to list them.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Oh and Super Bomberman 2 was another one during uni. We used to use a SNES emulator to play it on the labs, some days we'd play it more than we actually did any work, pretty sure some guys failed exams because of it and oh my god I'm such a nerd.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
A shout too for the Virtua Fighter series. Used to go over my mate's house every Tuesday night and we'd spend all night playing those.

I never mastered the unbeatable Akira move but was nearly unbeatable as Wolf.

Siorac

World of Warcraft is a good shout. Played plenty of MMOs but nothing comes close to its ability to keep you hooked despite it being shite at times.
But surely a subscription game isn't the best value for money? You pay something like €12 a month for it. Free-to-play or buy-to-play addictive multiplayer titles must have it beat in this particular category.

Volumiza

In terms of great monetary value (ie. cheap) some fairly recent ones for me.

Valiant Hearts, The Great War on PSN is a great, simple and sometimes emotional little game that clearly been made with a lot of love.
Firewatch - picked this up cheap and gave me a great experience
Rocket League - Free on PSN at the time and great fun

Flying high

Rust and CS:GO. Many hours sunk into both.

Because I don't have enough toxicity in my normal life.:nervous:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
But surely a subscription game isn't the best value for money? You pay something like €12 a month for it. Free-to-play or buy-to-play addictive multiplayer titles must have it beat in this particular category.
In terms of MMOs it's the best value for money game I reckon. In terms of the wider video game spectrum, no. I would have happily paid more each month given the amount of hours I put into it during BC - Cataclysm.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Red Dead Redemption 2. -- Still playing it and finding new stuff in the single player game.

Uncharted series -- Platinumed them all.

The Last of Us -- Played on PS3. Completed it couple of times. Got PS4 remastered version and platinumed the game.

MGSV -- Platinum trophy. 200 hours sunk into the game.

Skyrim -- Started new games more than I can count all with different playthroughs.

Call of Duty 4: MW --- Was pretty amazing at the original game and played it until the end of PS3's cycle. Also got the remastered version and platinumed that.

MW2 -- God, knows how many hours I sunk into this one. Played 3rd person mode, which was just so fun.

Black Ops -- again amazingly fun, with great story mode. Fantastic game.

W@W -- amazing game, with amazing replay ability. You can see a pattern here. CoD games were awesome, fun and addictive before micro transaction nonsense. SBMM etc.

Rainbow Six Vegas -- Unbelievable game. I absolutely destroyed people on it and hence stayed on it right up until the MW4 got released.

Earlier PES games for PS2.

dbs235

GTA 5 and both Red Dead's for sure. Also The Sabotuer.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Football manager 2014 dominated my free time for years on end. The likes of Pokemon, gta and worms can fight it out for second place.

Steerpike

Maybe Civ2, Morrowind, Transport Tycoon ... but none of them beat playing football with your mates, jumpers for goalposts, etc.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I like looking at screenshots of the games I used to play in the past.
They look so unimpressive. :lol:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I like looking at screenshots of the games I used to play in the past.
They look so unimpressive.
It's incredible, and makes me think 'How the hell was I so impressed with this?' Example: PS1 Lara Croft looking like a Weetabix with legs.

Volumiza

The original Doom has been great value for me over the years. Played and completed it on almost every Playstation released. Was only playing over the CHristmas break and it still plays great.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
It's incredible, and makes me think 'How the hell was I so impressed with this?' Example: PS1 Lara Croft looking like a Weetabix with legs.
Yeah :D
Still, I played the original MGS a couple of months back on my old PS1 plus TV and it still looks alright.
Gran Turismo though was just horrible. Hurt my eyes.

Last edited:

Volumiza

Example: PS1 Lara Croft looking like a Weetabix with legs.
How badly has this aged? I remember hammering this when it was released but a quick replay a few years ago brought it home how bad it actually was. Older games than this have aged better.

Volumiza

Microprose Soccer..........
THIS!!!

And Kick off 2 as well :lol: oh my lord, me and my mates on Kick off 2. I think we started playing it at 11 - 12 and didn't stop until we could get served in a pub! (slight exaggeration but you get the gyst ... )

Traub

Dota, over 1500 hours without having spent a single cent.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
I've been playing FIFA 16 since I bought it nearly five years ago, so that.