Mourinho: “There are clubs where the old legend doesn’t want the glory of the new"

United_We_Stand

...asked if he felt more protected at Chelsea: “I don’t say that, but the truth is that we are in a new era. There are a lot of high-profile people in football, like old players, some of them have gone from players to weak and frustrated managers and they return to football with the status of high-level pundits. People remember more of what they were as players and not of what they were as managers. They are voices that influence public opinion.”

On what these people have against him, Mourinho said: “I think it’s not against me, but against the manager of Manchester United. Not all clubs have Eusébios and Manuéis Fernandes, that is, not everyone has old legends who like the club more than themselves.

“There are clubs where the old legend doesn’t want the glory of the new. The old legend who thinks he’ll only continue to be one if the club isn’t without him what it was with him. United have a huge history, with a lot of legends. Fortunately, we have a ‘Sir’ who is ‘Sir’. He’s ‘Sir’ in everything. In behaviour, in the passion for the club.”

Asked if Sir Alex Ferguson supported him on his arrival at Manchester United, Mourinho replied: “No, because he understood me like the perfect fit. In fact, it was the exact opposite. It was I who brought him back. Before I arrived, he thought the managers didn’t feel very comfortable with his presence.

“I remember an exemplary episode. At the end of a game in London that he went to see, he asked me for permission to travel with us back to Manchester. It was another person I had to speak to: ‘place 1A is yours, I occupy what is vacant’. He’s a fantastic person.”

The next question from Record was: ‘Did you expect United to be a club less susceptible to criticism and slander?’
Mourinho returned to saying he still supports his old clubs, but doesn’t feel it’s the same for others around Old Trafford, or even at Inter Milan.

“No. I thought Manchester United were more of Eusebios and Manuéis Fernandes, because I am that way. For example, I liked Inter to be a champion again. Since leaving, Juventus are repeat champions, already go in seven titles. Will all those who have had ties to Inter want the club to become the champion as much as I do? I have doubts.”

Donnie Brasco

Love you Jose, since arriving always speaking the truth. Even speaking the truth on topics that people around the club feel are taboo.

Renegade

Oh shut up Jose. This guy picks to many fights.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I agree with him.

Too many of our old players criticise the club for not being the idealistic model they hold in their head from their time here.

I don’t want them to be a cheerleading squad like Liverpool has but supporting the team once in a while wouldn’t hurt.

cyberman

The way Neville over exaggerates a narrative during commentary needs to be called out.
Maybe Jose is wide of the mark in terms of not wanting new legends but Gary isn't being 100 percent honest in his job.

fellaini's barber

I don't think any of our legends want the club to fail, Jose needs to realise that he doesn't help himself replying to everything and everyone who criticises him, its getting tiring.

Red_Aaron

He's got half a point and as always he's worded it cleverly.

Do some of the old guard want things to be run the same way they had it? Sure.
Do some of the old guard have highly limited skills when it comes to management and coaching? Absolutely
Do some of the old guard overly critical compared to other clubs. Definitely

But wanting us to fail? Nah, I'm not having that. The frustration from the likes of Nev and Scholesy is palpable, they want us to win more than anything imo

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't think any of our legends want the club to fail, Jose needs to realise that he doesn't help himself replying to everything and everyone who criticises him, its getting tiring.
I don't think they precisely want the club to fail, but they want him to fail, so the club needs to fail for that to happen. Neville stuck up for Moyes for ages and LvG because we don't apparantly sack managers. Well you do if they are useless. They don't like him.

Andersons Dietician

Overall hasn’t G Nev actually been quite supportive. He came out with a piece this week about how the fans have to show patience.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Do some of the old guard have highly limited skills when it comes to management and coaching? Absolutely

But wanting us to fail? Nah, I'm not having that. The frustration from the likes of Nev and Scholesy is palpable, they want us to win more than anything imo
We are winning and winning trophies, so really they should just get over themselves.

Smores

He doesn't say they do, that tweet is a bit misleading. Quite a few care about themselves or the monetizing of their status over the club though.

You might find it tiring but i wouldn't say he doesn't help himself, he knows exactly what he's saying and the reaction

TsuWave

I always mute G. Neville punditry during our matches. he's a try-hard to come off as neutral to the point he goes into the total opposite direction and can't objectively speak on us.

Zoo

Irrespective of Jose there is no doubt that this Class of ‘92 hype has been overkill over the past few years. It would be difficult for any United manager.

reddaz71

W all know the class of 92 has its own agenda which is not actually in the direct interests of the club but of themselves!

breakout67

Supports
Man City
To be honest, the Neville brothers ruin it for the rest of them. If they stepped out of the media right now then the old guard would be quite enjoyable.

Ferdinand is a proper cheerleader
Scholes is a miserable git all the time that it's funny
Keane has some great one liners

Gary and Phil are just annoying in public.

saivet

The club comes with expectations of playing good football. Moyes and LVG were criticises. Maybe it's harsh at times, but this is how it is. No one wants us to fail, we're just held to high standards.

buckooo1978

ah gotta love Mourinho

we get the season over us and he still has enough bollocks to spout to ensure the cloud of negativity that surrounds the club is maintained

shut up Jose and coach the fecking team - stop being a sensitive flower if a big bad pundit says something you don't like

it's not like he's every said anything negative about a fellow professional, manager or referee is it

ti vu

What I saw Mourinho talking is regarding the last point. We know these legends want us to win, but they're not open to new reality where they're not active. New players ain't the same (ability, mentality wise). Mourinho is no SAF. Their talk is all about how they want ("them") but not what the club needs to do. They talked as if they know it all when in truth they ain't faring well in management at lower level! Can you trust their decision making at top level management? They're in his case trying to build their pundit reputation more than supporting the club. That's the point.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

G Neville is pretty much like what Howard Webb used to be for us in last few years. Webb seemed so concerned about the Utd 12th man comments that he went out of the way to ignore blatant foul on our players and penalty shouts.
Neville seems to go out of the way to show that he is a neutral that he comes off as one of the constant moaners about most of our players

pascell

Oh shut up Jose. This guy picks to many fights.
Picking fights or speaking the truth? Plenty of ex players have gone on record to slate the manager, players and club in recent years, it doesn't help the club in achieving it's aims.

When was the last time we had ex players consistently praising the job that Jose has been doing? Some people just don't like the fact his honest and to the point. He might come across as picking fights but the constantly damning of the club has to stop, it does more harm than good, something we don't need.

Mourinho said just last Thursday that the performance of Rashford/Martial was why he sticks to using Lukaku so much. He was looking for a positive reaction from the players, but pundits and press couldn't allow him that as they continued to slate the treatment of the players by Mourinho.

Also, for all the negative stuff Mourinho comes out with towards players, he's also just as quick to praise and defend them.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nothing like surrounding the club in more poisonous smog in the off-season

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's not wrong in highlighting the over the top criticism from certain ex players. I don't think they're doing it because they wish badly on the club though,

I think they're just too thick in seeing how he's improved the club and isn't completely finished with making us a Mourinho side that the footballing world appreciated at other clubs.

Borden

So fans are now happily throwing our club legends under the bus to protect their precious Jose. Interesting.

This is just more pointless bickering which did not need to be said, even if it was true. He really does have a bizarre need to pick fights with everyone.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He's not wrong in highlighting the over the top criticism from certain ex players. I don't think they're doing it because they wish badly on the club though,

I think they're just too thick in seeing how he's improved the club and isn't completely finished with making us a Mourinho side that the footballing world appreciated at other clubs.
A few ex players are more responsible for that than others. The talk of being failed managers is evidence of that, and that the comments are probably for the Neville brothers specifically since they failed at clubs and talk a lot.