Mourinho: “There are clubs where the old legend doesn’t want the glory of the new"

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Why in god's name does Mourinho create stories when the real narrative should be restricted to what happens on the pitch.

Mainoldo

I am offering a different way of looking at things whilst you result to hyperbole.
If it looks like a snake, moves like a snake, sounds like a snake. It’s a snake. I don’t convincing on this. Mourinho is safety first and it will not work at a club like ours. We will part ways next season.

tomaldinho1

I think the fact we are very un-mou like (I sound like a judge of diary cows).....and the fact our football against the bottom 6 fell off a cliff....rightly attracts criticism. I'm Mou's biggest fan but his performance in those games and in the CL were just so far off his standards it's a bit silly! I think Pogba will be his kryptonite next season and see him off which for me is a real shame and blight on his CV.
Yh I think looking back at the season rationally, my only two criticisms would be the dropping of points against newly promoted sides and Sevilla at home. Otherwise, pretty content even with the FA cup loss. Excellent platform for next season to compete on all fronts and really judge this team & Mou.

tomaldinho1

If it looks like a snake, moves like a snake, sounds like a snake. It’s a snake. I don’t convincing on this. Mourinho is safety first and it will not work at a club like ours. We will part ways next season.
Could be a slow-worm...

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
It’s true.. if only we changed our all guns blazing approach to scrap a few 1-0’s we could have won this league. The shaky defence cost us!
This argument that United is not offensive enough is also not completely valid. There have been many games where points were dropped because of poor finishing. Leicester City away comes to mind.

rique_don

Yeah, right. You'd be pissing and moaning like the Liverpool fans who were asking for Klopp's head earlier this season "because he's clueless about defending".

I'm not saying that you have to chose one or the other, but the statement that you "don't care about defense anymore" is petulant and hysterically comical. It's statements like this that show how irrational some fans are.
I would not. Apparently, you know more about me than I do about myself. Look at our treble winning season. Watch the season review on YouTube. We had a defence with Schmeichel, Stam, Gary Neville and Denis Irwin, shielded by Keane and Scholes yet we conceded quite a few goals. Even some ridiculous ones for the midfield and defensive talent that we had. Why? We took huge risks in attack. To even come back from 2-0 down at the delle alli was because we took risks. To be risk averse and defence first is not Manchester United.
I remember as a young man growing up in the West Indies they asked a former cricketing great why so many of the West Indian players supported Man United and I'll never forget his response. He said west Indies in the 70s played cricket with unmatched flair like Manchester United. They found a kindred spirit in United. He said though the times were barren for United they never compromised their willingness to entertain and play attacking football. We have become the antithesis of this.

Do i want to win? Yes. But to believe that our legends want the club to fail is foolhardy and extremely disingenuous and callous of Mourinho. He loves the media when they are praising him lavishly. When he came out last season and took a swipe at Pep and Klopp calling them artists who had won nothing did the media call him out? No. Was it necessary for him to say that? Now he's in their shadow he's complaining. If Liverpool win the CL I guarantee that the last thing on Klopp's mind will be Mourinho. Likewise Pep hasn't said a word about Mourinho thinly veiled or not. We have had our greatest success playing attacking football. We don't need to compromise that to win.

Last edited by a moderator:

ghagua

Maybe the legends don't like to see the shite being played in the name of football and don't see a clear plan on what direction the club is heading. They have earned the right to speak up, if not them, then who will.

Lentwood

I would have thought the Co92 lads expected Giggs to get a chance to manage us properly. I guarentee none of them, Scholes and G. Nev in particular, would have said a critical word had we come 2nd this season under their mate Giggsy

Bestietom

Mourinho should ignore all this and get on with managing the team. It is all only making the media take more notice and giving them ammunition.

Most probably he will get big money to spend again this summer, and it is up to him to bring in the right players and not spend it all on 1/2 Marquee players.

We needed full backs last season, and also needed a RW but he decided he wanted to strengthen elsewhere.We seen the team change from scoring for fun in the first 6 games, to going defensive when we played Liverpool. He changed the formation and team sheet every other week, and this complimented to some very bad results. But what did he do. He blamed everyone but the tea lady, and hung players out to dry in public.

This is not good for team morale and should be cut out. He does not allow players express themselves, and shouting at them from the sideline and then telling all, how he coached him in how to play. How can a young player improve when he is too scared to express himself.

Yes,we finished second but a massive 19 points behind City and we have a huge task trying to catch them this coming season, especially with the outdated football he wants to play. If he does not make the right decisions in the market this summer, and start playing some attractive football, I think it could be his last.

MooseTheMooche

Good Lord, instead of constant moaning he should do something about the woeful football that we play. He really seems as if he is "dodging" the responsibility of coaching the team properly, and looks for anything that would distract people from the shit on a stick football.

automaticflare

Did Scholes actually say these words after the FA cup final?

“It shows how far United have fallen when our whole season rests on Liverpool losing.”

Posted here because I couldn't find his a dedicated thread about his punditry. A google search yields sketchy sources at best.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/...bout-united-right-now-will-hurt-fans-20180525
Interested in this as well

I saw it touted a few times

I don’t feel this myself I think we had an underwhelming season. Don’t get me wrong I’m glad Madrid won, but I don’t think it changes my perception on our season. Winning the fa cup would have made a big difference but at same time losing that game re enforced everything I believe is broken with us on the player side. Still think Jose is right man for the job

Liverpool winning or losing doesn’t change that

Last edited:

United_We_Stand

Did Scholes actually say these words after the FA cup final?

“It shows how far United have fallen when our whole season rests on Liverpool losing.”

Posted here because I couldn't find his a dedicated thread about his punditry. A google search yields sketchy sources at best.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/...bout-united-right-now-will-hurt-fans-20180525
It's a fake quote made up by some click-bait pro-Liverpool twitter account. You won't find this on any reputable website or twitter account.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
It's a fake quote made up by some click-bait pro-Liverpool twitter account. You won't found this on any reputable website or twitter account.
I thought so because they'd have been noise if he actually did say it. Wanted to make sure.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
This argument that United is not offensive enough is also not completely valid. There have been many games where points were dropped because of poor finishing. Leicester City away comes to mind.
The game where we decided to play counter attack against a side with 10 men instead of controlling possession well away from our area

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The game where we decided to play counter attack against a side with 10 men instead of controlling possession well away from our area
You might have some form of memory loss. Smalling got injured which led us to be on the back foot and his poor mobility caused the goal itself.

We did not decide to play counter attack because we aren't the only team playing the game. Leicester saw Smalling struggling and it was basically a free way into our own half by targeting him.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
You might have some form of memory loss. Smalling got injured which led us to be on the back foot and his poor mobility caused the goal itself.

We did not decide to play counter attack because we aren't the only team playing the game. Leicester saw Smalling struggling and it was basically a free way into our own half by targeting him.
Absolute nonsense. Smalling got injured very late in the game. We decided to counter attack well before the end. We sat deep and let Albrighton cross repeatedly into the box and were punished for it. Against 10 men we should easily have been able to hold possession high up the pitch. The cowardly ones tactics cost us

redIndianDevil

The reason we dropped points in that game was not only due to missing chances, it was due to the cowardly tactics employed against a 10 men team in the final few minutes, which resulted in a barrage of attacks(mostly crosses) on our deep defence which resulted in an equalizer in the death.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Nonsense, guys like Neville and Scholes just want United to be top of the pile. Being runners up to City with boring football isn't good enough. they don't think so and neither should Mou.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Absolute nonsense. Smalling got injured very late in the game. We decided to counter attack well before the end. We sat deep and let Albrighton cross repeatedly into the box and were punished for it. Against 10 men we should easily have been able to hold possession high up the pitch. The cowardly ones tactics cost us
Cowardly tactics cost us the game...not the sitters we missed over and over. Not the Smalling injury which directly contributed to us conceding a goal.

A look at what the manager said after the game:

"We were punished by our mistakes, Childish loss of possession, so easy. Childish in their box and childish in our box."

Our tactics did not cost us that game, you are wrong.

redIndianDevil

Cowardly tactics cost us the game...not the sitters we missed over and over. Not the Smalling injury which directly contributed to us conceding a goal.

A look at what the manager said after the game:

"We were punished by our mistakes, Childish loss of possession, so easy. Childish in their box and childish in our box."

Our tactics did not cost us that game, you are wrong.
Why did we sit back against 10 men and invite all that pressure? It is a classic Mourinho tactic and it backfired spectacularly that day. Mourinho can spout all rubbish reasons he wants to but the truth is our team decided to sit back against 10 fecking men.