Mourinho - Appreciation Thread

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
With the negativity surrounding Mourinhos tactics at times which many of us, including myself, have criticized, I feel like he isn't getting as much love as he should.

Personally I think he's made for the club and actually cares, watch this to find out.

I haven't seen him care this much for a team and it's only the Europa League. The way he was crapping himself on the touchline felt like he was just a fan :lol:

Let's get this team upgraded in this summer and the summers beyond and I'm sure we are going to see great progress made.

Also let's admit the style has been shite at times, but you can't take away that personal feeling he has for the club which is clear to see.

And if we don't or do win the Europa League I think it's safe to say we are making progress and this is the most optimistic I've been as a fan about the future after Sir Alex left.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just play more expansive football Jose and I'll love you like I love my father.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's getting plenty of love.

Raw

A possible 2 (and a half if you want to count the Community Shield) trophies in your first season, despite the "foundations" left by LVG, is pretty damn great.

Only issue is the horrendous home form which I hope we can sort out next season. I'm still far more excited about next season than I ever have been since Fergie left.

Mister_Stubbs

I like Jose, I was delighted when we appointed him.

On the flip side though, he is a cautious manager who doesnt loss the game first and foremost. We knew this when we appointed him though so why it comes as a shock to anyone is beyond me. Another factor is this still isn't he's team and let's be honest.. it's a bang average squad. Give him another 2, 3 windows to bring in he's own players and judge him from there.

Phil

Brave for starting this around here. Agree with you though, we have a bright future under him.

The guy is pragmatic. When we have better players, maybe we open our football up more. Until then, play to win.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nobody doubts Jose the man, but he's making it much harder on himself than it needs to be. Trust the players to play a proper game and not implode.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Love the man but just wish he would let us off the reins a bit more. I think he will be really successful with us and I agree that he's passionate about the club, but I think the style of play simply has to improve over the next 12 months. Buzzing for the final now :devil:

predator

Youth NITK
Good thread. Bit of positivity is nice now and again. I love how much more passionate the club seems under Jose as opposed to Moyes and LVG.

JoaquinJoaquin

I'm a huge fan of Jose and really want this to work out here, but at the same time he needs to adapt and make changes going in to next season. What I will say is that I have full confidence Jose will get it right here, whereas with Moyes (who I never wanted from the start) and LVG I was never convinced.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I'm a massive Jose fan and would have given him 3 years regardless of outcomes...well to a limit. Verging on relegation wouldn't be acceptable.

This being said, ironically and today being the day we got to the final, it was the first time his tactics truly grated to the point of thinking really what is this rubbish! I guess because the margin of season failure and no CL was so close and it doesn't feel like it should have got to this point.

edcunited1878

A manager is only as good as his players and currently United have average to good players with only two (and a half) class players currently (Pogba, DDG and maybe Mkhitaryan).

Biggest thing is that he's had to deal with such inconsistent performances that who knows what will happen. One thing we do know is that all things equal, United are very, very difficult to beat.

Jacko21

Don't let anyone ever tell you that Manchester United is just another club to Mourinho.

He will get it right. It's not even a debate.

The guy was born to manage here.

Inter Yer Nan

I've always backed him and always liked him (liked him even at Chelsea first time). He is the man for the job. I'll admit I thought we'd have been in a title race and it' disappointing that we have been poor every round (bar St.Ettiene) to get to this final, but I have total faith in the man. He has great passion and commitment for this club and a genuine affection for the fans. He's also a very serious football man and he wants us at the top and he will get us there. Let's see us win this cup, get some new quality in and go from there. What's different here from last jobs is he came already with the end in mind (short cycle, instant success, instant build and then move on), whereas he's took this job (I believe) with the intention of a long haul and era of dominance. Perhaps there is more planning and getting things perfect than meets the eye?

shaky

He feels it just like we do. It's not his fault he got lumped with a squad full of Moyes and LVG signings. The guys he brought in have been good. He managed to turned Rojo and Darmian into assests. It's unsurprising that so many of the reliable players are left over from the Fergie era, like DDG, Valencia, Young, Jones & Carrick. Another transfer window and a season where half our league rivals don't have the luxury of no European football and we're in good shape. CL or not.

Revan

Assumptionman
Brave for starting this around here. Agree with you though, we have a bright future under him.

The guy is pragmatic. When we have better players, maybe we open our football up more. Until then, play to win.
There was absolutely nothing pragmatic today. It was just shit tactics from the beginning to an end.

For feck sake, a guy missed an open goal that would have eliminated us. It wasn't a tactical masterpiece, pragmatical or anything like that. Just a bit of luck after we (mostly him) managed to feck it up badly.

engulfing

I like mourinho. Hes a winner and winners are always short supply. Next season when he shifts some of the junk out and buys a few more players which suits his tactics we will see his genius. Mourinho is one of the best at finding the optimal balance between offense and defense even with limited players. His teams have excellent risk adjusted return and are very efficient and hard to beat. His best teams are very hard to score against yet always seem able to create chances.

Having experienced 1 absolutely inept manager and 1 good manager who was (with due respect to LVG who i like) unable to squeeze out that extra little bit from players that only the best managers can, mourinho should be embraced. Im sure he will once he starts totting up trophies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
All I'll say is I want to be wrong about him. Seeing his passion today and a select few other times is great and, despite the football and some of his decision making, makes me warm to him. I want him to succeed!

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
He will go down as a true great in history just like Shakespeare.

cyberman

It takes a lot to beat us, like our taking chances problem it's gone on too long for it to be temporary or one of those things.
We seem to be a proper cup side

JohnnyKills

With the negativity surrounding Mourinhos tactics at times which many of us, including myself, have criticized, I feel like he isn't getting as much love as he should.

Personally I think he's made for the club and actually cares, watch this to find out.

I haven't seen him care this much for a team and it's only the Europa League. The way he was crapping himself on the touchline felt like he was just a fan :lol:

Let's get this team upgraded in this summer and the summers beyond and I'm sure we are going to see great progress made.

Also let's admit the style has been shite at times, but you can't take away that personal feeling he has for the club which is clear to see.

And if we don't or do win the Europa League I think it's safe to say we are making progress and this is the most optimistic I've been as a fan about the future after Sir Alex left.
Mate, not having a go but it looks like you're saying mourinho is a good manager because he can twirl a scarf above his head and pump his fists in the direction of the fans.

I hope you're right, and mourinho comes good, but this season has been massively underwhelming. There's a mini-league of six good sides at the top of the PL and we're bottom of that league. We've adopted a horribly negative style away from home against every other top team (despite having a more expensive squad than all of them) and we've ended up with two points from 12 and haven't scored a single goal.

Tonight we played the Spanish equivalent of Stoke and ended up hanging on for grim death. Had mourinho just told them to go out and attack, rather than tried to be clever, we'd have wiped the floor with them.

I hope you're right and mourinho comes good, but he's been hugely disappointing so far. Any one of us could salute the fans and kiss the badge: what matters is on the pitch and the manager isn't cutting the mustard so far.

ravi2

Overall this season we have looked the best since SAF left and Jose just needs one more transfer window to get it fully right. I believe we will win the Europa and bring in the 4-5 players necessary to challenge for the title next season. He has had quite a job to rebuild the teams confidence and in my opinion he has the trust of the players.
His handling of Rooney has been superb as well.

If Marital had picked up where he left off last season and others were finishing chances we would be easily top 4. We need a player or two in the offseason to put the ball in the net and Marital and Shaw need to get their shit together.

Djemba-Djemba

Has my full support. But today was not on at all.
This is totally how I feel.

I'm still right behind him and think he'll sort us out but tonight was a fecking shambles. Has to be better than that in the final and then on to next season.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Jose's not to blame for the fact most our players can't finish their tea!

shaky

Mate, not having a go but it looks like you're saying mourinho is a good manager because he can twirl a scarf above his head and pump his fists in the direction of the fans.

I hope you're right, and mourinho comes good, but this season has been massively underwhelming. There's a mini-league of six good sides at the top of the PL and we're bottom of that league. We've adopted a horribly negative style away from home against every other top team (despite having a more expensive squad than all of them) and we've ended up with two points from 12 and haven't scored a single goal.

Tonight we played the Spanish equivalent of Stoke and ended up hanging on for grim death. Had mourinho just told them to go out and attack, rather than tried to be clever, we'd have wiped the floor with them.

I hope you're right and mourinho comes good, but he's been hugely disappointing so far. Any one of us could salute the fans and kiss the badge: what matters is on the pitch and the manager isn't cutting the mustard so far.
The expensive squad means very little. It wasn't Jose that wasted most of that money on average players. The vast majority of money he spent was on Pogba who, as we've noticed in recent weeks, is absolutely vital for us.

Womp

idiot
I really don't think he's done too bad given our squad. Yes we've spent a feck load of money but we've spent it terribly.

People want us to be at that Barca/Madrid level where we dominate every team we play against but fact of the matter is, regardless of the money we've spent our squad is nowhere near that level. Pogba, De Gea and maybe Herrera are really the only players who'd get into those sides.

You just have to look at the dross we've spent money on, Depay etc. Theres a reason no top teams came in for players like Morgan, BFS and Depay, because that's their level. Jose's bought players who are closer to that level, apart from Mkhitryan who's struggled.

I think he'll get it right, but if he doesn't at least after a few windows he'll get in the quality of player our squad merits for the next manager.

Apart from Martial, Rojo and Herrera what players brought into the club were of the required standard under LVG and Moyes? We're still a few seasons away from the absolute top imo, too many good weather and/or mediocre players in the squad.

GM K

I like Jose, I was delighted when we appointed him.

On the flip side though, he is a cautious manager who doesnt loss the game first and foremost. We knew this when we appointed him though so why it comes as a shock to anyone is beyond me. Another factor is this still isn't he's team and let's be honest.. it's a bang average squad. Give him another 2, 3 windows to bring in he's own players and judge him from there.
One of the best posts I have read here. Very realistic.

Bang average squad indeed.

GazTheLegend

During Ferguson I felt like our teams were a direct imposition of his will on the team.

During Mourinho it's the same. When Mourinho was nervous / terrified the team was, but there was this grim determination to get there at all costs that had me confident

RedMaestro

Maybe I'm too negative, but are you sure that he specifically cares about Manchester United winning or him winning? Hasn't it been a while since he's won something in the European Cups? But it's evident that this means a lot to him and the team. Will be an interesting final against Ajax. A tough one. But if anyone can do it, Mourinho can.

Womp

idiot
During Ferguson I felt like our teams were a direct imposition of his will on the team.

During Mourinho it's the same. When Mourinho was nervous / terrified the team was, but there was this grim determination to get there at all costs that had me confident
Couldn't have said it better myself. It's as if the team feeds off him, it's why I think some of the more passionate players like Rojo, Rashford, Herrera, Valencia etc have thrived under him.