Mourinho at Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightonian

It seems odd that there isn't a thread along these lines already, but I couldn't find one. Feel free to rip the shit if I've missed an obvious one.

Just thought it was interesting that there are a few comments along these lines on the BBC live feed for their game against Newcastle today:

It looks like Jose is close to finding his best team now, that starting eleven looks menacing to say the least...
Given that his starting XI is the same one Chelsea played all last year. Possible that after all his 'this is my team' action (dropping Mata etc), he's found that actually Benitez was already doing it right last season?

Joemo

whistling in the wind
On paper they were always going to be very similar to last year's, as they didn't make a signing over the summer that made you think "they'll be a nailed on starter". Willian is a fantastic player, but it's a tough ask to replace Mata or Hazard, and Eto'o should be kept out of the side if Torres performs.

If Jose was to change the team, it'd be in terms of formations and tactics as opposed to personnel.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
On paper they were always going to be very similar to last year's, as they didn't make a signing over the summer that made you think "they'll be a nailed on starter". Willian is a fantastic player, but it's a tough ask to replace Mata or Hazard, and Eto'o should be kept out of the side if Torres performs.

If Jose was to change the team, it'd be in terms of formations and tactics as opposed to personnel.
Is he though?

Good player obviously but isn't in the class of Oscar, Hazard or Mata if you ask me.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He's been very conservative and dropping Mata is madness. I haven't been impressed with Jose or Chelsea at all this year but they are a consistent striker away from taking the league this year.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Sign a quality striker in Jan and they'll run away with it.

I think with Schurrle, Ba and Torres, they've a pretty decent strike force. I can't see them signing any decent upgrades in January atleast. Next summer though they might go for Rooney which will be a scary prospect.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
I think with Schurrle, Ba and Torres, they've a pretty decent strike force. I can't see them signing any decent upgrades in January atleast. Next summer though they might go for Rooney which will be a scary prospect.

I still think we need a striker in the top tier, if we had that i;d be confident of winning the league. However if Jose can still win it, it would be a great achievement.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
They will win the League, I'm sure of that. He's worth 6-8 points with his knowledge and experience of a title race, same way Fergie was for us.

ricky-romeo

if they are anywhere 3-4 points off the leader by Christmas and i think they will be there at the very least, they'll be the favourites to win the league this season. jose factor. like what mr. sixpence said above.

and with us and citeh got new managers, makes things easier for mourinho. arsenal have a very good start but doubt they can go all the way this season.

Varun

Staff
Sign a quality striker in Jan and they'll run away with it.

They're waiting on Rooney by the looks of it. Him in that team would be just incredible.

For this season, they'l need some luck just like any other team but yeah, its between them and City and they look the better team atm.

Carl

People seem to just say City by default it seems. They've been just as all over the place as us this season. The only thing that separates us is that game when they beat us.

Varun

Staff
People seem to just say City by default it seems. They've been just as all over the place as us this season. The only thing that separates us is that game when they beat us.

Yep, they've been as bad but I see our problems in midfield being too bad to challenge this season while for them, its a case of getting their act together, specially their away form. I'l be surprised if they finished outside the top 3, us, not so much.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
They're clearly better than City as a team. City's shining light is Aguero. Chelsea are a good defensive unit.

I'm sure in time Jose will get hold of a decent centre mid or two as well as a top striker. They are definitely lacking in some areas as is everyone in this league.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
And that they can spend 300m in January on new players if they feel like it.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea

People including me said City to start with because its so hard to get around how a team with world class strikers and playmakers, and what was a very organised resolute defence could not when all the other top clubs were changing managers or in transition.

Carl

People including me said City to start with because its so hard to get around how a team with world class strikers and playmakers, and what was a very organised resolute defence could not when all the other top clubs were changing managers or in transition.
At the start of the season it was understandable to tip City given what they spent. Don't get it now though.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Chelsea haven't looked great either this season, they've looked better recently but it needs to be sustained and they could easily dip again.

Glanville95

Like another poster said, if Chelsea do win the league that will largely be down to Mourinho and his experience, tactics and knowledge of the game. He will be influential in plenty of games for Chelsea when they are drawing late on and the substitutions he makes turn the game in Chelsea's favour, such as against Norwich. They will also take points off the top sides that will be massively decisive, like draws away to Spurs and United.

I don't think they have the best squad, albeit very strong. I do think it's still flawed and they quite obviously lack a real quality striker. Torres has been impressive of late, but I'm not buying into the hype yet and I still doubt whether he will be the same player as he was at Liverpool, purely because he doesn't have the same burst of pace or sharpness now. I think they need a deep-lying playmaker like an Alonso or even Carrick. Often their build-up play from deep can be laboured and disjointed, it's just not highlighted because of their attacking brilliance with Mata, Hazard and Oscar.

Manchester City in comparison have a really strong squad, I think the strongest in the league despite their worries in goal and defence when Kompany's out.Their firepower will win so many points just like ours did last season. I like City's style, but I feel that Pellegrini can and has been tactically naive in a lot of games by playing too open and not being aware of the threat direct teams pose. That will improve as Pellegrini's knowledge of the league improved, but I do think they will drop too many points away from home to win the league.

Chabon

I think they need a deep-lying playmaker like an Alonso or even Carrick. Often their build-up play from deep can be laboured and disjointed, it's just not highlighted because of their attacking brilliance with Mata, Hazard and Oscar.
Their CM problems are worse than ours, and have been for quite some time.

Glanville95

Their CM problems are worse than ours, and have been for quite some time.
I think there four options are superior with Ramires, Lampard, Mikel and Essien, but it's by no means impressive. They are just lacking a metronome passer in midfield which we do have in Carrick.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
:lol: Fair play.
The search function really is shit. I did about a hundred searches for thread with 'Mourinho' or 'Chelsea' in the title, and that one never came up.
Do I get jinx points for the result, btw?
Unfortunately on Xenforo it is absolutely fecking shocking. Better off googling 'red cafe xxxxx' when looking for threads.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
All ifs and maybes, but who knows where United would be on the table if SAF had stayed. All the top teams look shaky (except Arsenal, credits due).

ricardinho

It doesnt take a genius to know that Chelsea needs to start with Oscar,Mata and Hazard their best performances last season were when these three where playing , Mourinho is either been stubborn or hes becoming worse with age, and whats with his obsession with bringing Mikel in? he did it again today when they were losing he puts Mikel in what was he trying to achieve with that? Not to mention the games where he had Mikel in the starting 11, maybe its just me but i dont see what the feck does Mikel bring to the team, in my opinion he doesnt have the quality to be part of any of the top squads in England let alone be starting in one of them, but who knows maybe i'm missing something.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It doesnt take a genius to know that Chelsea needs to start with Oscar,Mata and Hazard their best performances last season were when these three where playing , Mourinho is either been stubborn or hes becoming worse with age, and whats with his obsession with bringing Mikel in? he did it again today when they were losing he puts Mikel in what was he trying to achieve with that? Not to mention the games where he had Mikel in the starting 11, maybe its just me but i dont see what the feck does Mikel bring to the team, in my opinion he doesnt have the quality to be part of any of the top squads in England let alone be starting in one of them, but who knows maybe i'm missing something.
He brought Mikel on in place of Azpilicueta so as to get midfield control and went to 3 at the back. There's no point having a ton of forwards on if you can't get the ball.

I'm not a huge fan of Mikel but that was a good sub today.

ricardinho

He brought Mikel on in place of Azpilicueta so as to get midfield control and went to 3 at the back. There's no point having a ton of forwards on if you can't get the ball.

Essien must have really turned into shit if Mikel is looked as better option than him.

coolredwine

lameredboots

Good? It was a typical Mourinho gamble. Take off a fullback, bring on a midfielder. He used to do the same at Real. It's pretty much all he does whenever chasing the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.