Mourinho expects '2 or 3' summer signings, rules out January window activity, says he's been backed

Saad138

Mourinho also said "I'm sure, next year, my club are also going to pay a lot of money for one player."

This means club record for a transfer fee will be broken. Hmm...wonder who will it be on ?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just words. I think it’ll be 4-5 in with 3 exits.

lewwoo

Doesn't seem right that we are the club with the highest revenue in the world and yet we can't compete financially with city. I understand the reasons why but still doesn't seem right!

Treble

It's too early to talk about the summer transfer window. A lot ot things can change util the summer.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
That sounds great on paper. But would we get 5-7 good 30-50 million pound signings? I'd take that over a couple if huge signings as well.
Yes we can. I keep seeing posts like it is impossible and also the United tax or current market is too inflated etc but we could easily have got..

Mendy/Sandro last year 50/60m
Semedo 35m
Davison Sanchez 35m
Fabinho 45m
Weigl 40-50m
Werner 40m
Mahrez 50m
Lacazette 50m

I also think we could have got Dembele a few years earlier for 50-60m before Barca struck. There will be talents like that which will pop up and we can make the deals happen.. for decent prices. Wait too long and then everyone is in for them.

Imagine instead of signing Lukaku/Lindelof.. We get Semedo (Portuguese - no brainer of a signing imo), Mendy, Sanchez, Mahrez and Werner in addition to Matic. If we had cleared out deadwood and maybe accumulated 40-50m in fees... looking at net spend of 200m which isn't that crazy in modern market and for a side looking to revamp and get to top.. Real did similar a decade ago as did City.

DDG
Semedo Bailly Sanchez Mendy
Matic Pogba
Mahrez Mata Martial
Werner

Aim for 2nd and for a side looking to play good football.. year after add a Marquee attacking mid, competition for Matic/Mahrez. Right now I feel lack of planning is leading to short term signings which aren'
Even ideal fit and by wasting time.. areas of strength such as GK and right back will become weaknesses once De Gea finally leaves or Valencia retires etc.

liamp

I find it hard to believe we'll only lose 2-3 players. Both Zlatan and Carrick's contracts will expire and I doubt the club will renew. Herrera, Blind, and Mata are all expiring too, and I think (might be wrong) Herrera is the only one who has had his club option picked up thus far. Then you have the Fellaini situation...and this doesn't even factor in potential sales of other players.

He obviously can't say that he's going to churn half a dozen players, but I would definitely expect more than 2-3 to go and more than 2-3 to come in.

Member 90678

We’ll see. If there’s no contract extension for Mourinho, my thought might correct.
No club will spend much on a manager the club knew he will leave one year after.
Utter tosh,even if they decided not to back mourinhio (fictional story) and he wanted a great young talent,I bet the club would still buy him even if jose was leaving.
If the club didn't trust jose then they would not renew his contract.The idea that they would sabotage their own business,which is what you are saying is redicalous.

POF

This is effectively the modern day "there is no value in the market". United have huge financial power as a company but when you are effectively competing with state funded clubs it's just not possible to compete at that level.

Transfer fees are going crazy so United need to be really strategic in the market. In addition to one off marquee signings, pick up players on Bosmans (and be aggressive in doing so like Bayern) and reasonable buyout clauses as well as developing their own players.

Ozil and Griezmann replacing Mata and Ibra seemed really likely although it appears Barca may have scuppered that. Carrick and Fellaini are very likely to leave too along with at least one of Darmian or Blind. If 5 or 6 go, you would expect at least 4 new signings.

I am really happy with a gentle evolution of the squad. The mass clear out afforded to Van Gaal was absolute suicide and wasted millions on players the new manager did not want.

With the current structure of the club where the manager has so much control over signings, it is vital that Jose has extended his contract before any money is spent in the summer.

Kapardin

Fecking Glazers. So we have gone from 4 players to 2-3 now. We need a LB, an RB, a #10, a RW and 2 CMs (or atleast 1). How the feck are we to improve our squad with just 2-3 players?

Atleast it better be Dybala, Ozil and a midfielder for anyone to get optimistic over 3 signings. Though I suppose we need a FB.

This is effectively the modern day "there is no value in the market". United have huge financial power as a company but when you are effectively competing with state funded clubs it's just not possible to compete at that level.
We can still afford to buy 5 players with 4 in the price range of 50-70 mil and one marquee (150 mil?). The Glazers are being tightfisted as we have a lot of mediocre players on high wages.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This team is screaming for top quality fbs which i hoped we will get in january. Also 2-3 signings arent enough, especially since carrick and probably fellaini and ibra will/should be gone

RedPnutz

Are you a member of the board? or do you have PHD in psychology?
C’mon you should know better. A large majority of our fans are clairvoyant and mind readers. We even have people saying now that we won’t be challenging next season.

devilish

We dont need to spend loads of money on 1 player. What we need is to improve the overall quality of the team and bring in some balance. We need 6 players not 1 marquee signing

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Think this another Nudge to the board and a bit of a PR too to show Club and him are on same side and that he is not blaming his own club by giving them credit for Pogba and Lukaku deals. "dramatic improvement" is what he will want, he is a winner no doubt about that and he will want to have the best squad. These are just ploys to get money out of the club. He is basically challenging Woody to come good on his biggest club in the world and no other team can do what we can type claims.

SER19

We’ll see. If there’s no contract extension for Mourinho, my thought might correct.
No club will spend much on a manager the club knew he will leave one year after.
Even in this latest hypothetical, it doesn't justify your previous post.

Mourinho has come out and said we'll be signing 2-3 players in the summer, one of which will be a big signing - and to you that reads as having lost the confidence of the board?

To even enter the same stratosphere of thought as you he'd have had to have said "I don't want to talk about summer plans, we just look to the next game and see how things are when that time comes"'or something similarly non commital. You're seeing what you want to see, and now posting with a hint of pragmatism doesn't make the first reply in this thread another car crash that's basically instantly shit all over the quality of the thread.

iHicksy

Basically, he's saying we need about 5-6 players to be able to compete in the league to match their depth, but we aren't allowed to spend that amount of money in one transfer window so we must build the squad up slowly, 2-3 players at a time and whilst we do that other clubs with stronger teams get stronger and we fall further and further behind in terms of depth and quality. He's absolutely spot on, if we just had one big transfer window where we spent 300 million and offset that by selling some of the players Mour doesn't rate then we'd have a true Mourinho team and be able to compete with city.

We keep hearing and seeing these sponsorship deals and the market shows we're the second (1st?) richest club in the world in terms of revenue so to keep hearing our spending is on a par with the likes of Liverpool is a joke quite frankly.

devilish

Basically, he's saying we need about 5-6 players to be able to compete in the league to match their depth, but we aren't allowed to spend that amount of money in one transfer window so we must build the squad up slowly, 2-3 players at a time and whilst we do that other clubs with stronger teams get stronger and we fall further and further behind in terms of depth and quality. He's absolutely spot on, if we just had one big transfer window where we spent 300 million and offset that by selling some of the players Mour doesn't rate then we'd have a true Mourinho team and be able to compete with city.

We keep hearing and seeing these sponsorship deals and the market shows we're the second (1st?) richest club in the world in terms of revenue so to keep hearing our spending is on a par with the likes of Liverpool is a joke quite frankly.
2-3 players at a time will keep us were we are while other will improve. I understand the rationale and in normal circumstances i would agree with it. But we are in no normal circumstances. Those 2-3 players will be spent replacing carrick, ibra and failini

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
A club of this stature with no established wingers since the days of nani and no stable leftback since the days of evra is testament to the direction we been going on lately. We have make shifts and crocks playing there. Ironically this is the club that made its name on wingplays, and we have not a single out and out winger nor a out and out fullbacks. And you want to wait further 6 months to rectify that? Amazing management guys. Rant over.

Coops73

No January signings? But, but, some no mark from some shit paper said we offered 70million sheets and Ross from friends for Dybala and that bald fella said we had 90m to spend. This might sound controversial but I’m starting to think these journalists are just plucking headlines out of their arseholes....unless of course it’s another one of those double bluff things.

Werd.

He will try and go for another 4 signings, imo. Lack of January activity is a bit of a downer but no need to panic buy.

The full quotes are perfectly fine. I'm just not convinced about the bit on City's spending. Of course they are stronger than us financially but I don't see their spending as vastly different from ours since Jose started. He also mentioned that when he was at Chelsea it was a factor as well. But I don't think it's comparable. At that time Chelsea spent like noone else could. Right now we're up there with City as far as big spenders go.
It's not just about matching City though. We can only go so far on our revenues, we have to keep to certain limits. City are (maybe purposely) inflating the market so it costs everyone more and more until it gets to a point where no-one is left to compete. Players like Kyle Walker and John Stones paved the way for Virgil Van Dijk costing 75m. Many clubs already can't keep up and even we can't do it forever.

lewwoo

It's not just about matching City though. We can only go so far on our revenues, we have to keep to certain limits. City are (maybe purposely) inflating the market so it costs everyone more and more until it gets to a point where no-one is left to compete. Players like Kyle Walker and John Stones paved the way for Virgil Van Dijk costing 75m. Many clubs already can't keep up and even we can't do it forever.
This is what worries me. How do we compete without having our own rich oil barons? Do we just accept we can't and in that case we are in for a long period of fighting for top 4 with possibly the odd title every few years until the city owners sell up. That future seems bleak.

red thru&thru

Well, according to CIES, Pep has spent €513m and Jose €382m, whilst in being in Manchester. Pretty big difference. Jose is right in saying though, when Pep was at City he had England’s number one keeper. Didn’t fancy him so bought Bravo. Didn’t fancy him so bought Ederson. Wanted new full backs, got rid of about 3/4, without significant money back for them but went on and spent record fees on 3 full backs. You just can’t compete with that kind of spending. City already had a good spine of players, we had just DDG.

To be honest, I really don’t care about City. I just want our own fans to look at what’s happening at our own club, our own team. If you can’t see the progress, then fair enough. But to try and compare us to City all the time is just ludicrous and tiresome.

buckooo1978

Liverpool were happy to pay a premium for Van Dijk when there was a chance City were interested....I heard they had flown a medical team to Southamptyon to wrap it up immediately

they did the same with Naby Keita, paying extra to secure him in

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Mourinho also said "I'm sure, next year, my club are also going to pay a lot of money for one player."

This means club record for a transfer fee will be broken. Hmm...wonder who will it be on ?
Doesn’t exactly sound like Mourinho is that thrilled about it. I think the club as an entity are quite excited by this idea of making a gigantic signing every summer without the sort of tactical backdrop to see how exactly they fit the squad.

kps88

Doesn’t exactly sound like Mourinho is that thrilled about it. I think the club as an entity are quite excited by this idea of making a gigantic signing every summer without the sort of tactical backdrop to see how exactly they fit the squad.
Watching the video, that's not how it came across at all. Was just stating the obvious that the club backed him with Pogba and Lukaku and will probably do the same next summer.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Watching the video, that's not how it came across at all. Was just stating the obvious that the club backed him with Pogba and Lukaku and will probably do the same next summer.
Ah, right. Cheers. Guess it’s just the awkward wording on paper.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I get that impression as well. If it were a world class player of the right age who will add a lot to the team, then fair enough. I suspect as does Jose it will be a Gareth Bale type signing. Why do we always get these types year too late for their last hurrahs?

kps88

Video here for those who want to watch it with the proper context -

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet

and which club will be "my club". PSG bound for sure.
White text

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Don't you think we are now at risk of just signing someone to make sure we get the headlines for a couple of weeks rather than it not mattering, just sign the right players, but we are building a team. Not being used by some players to line their own pockets as we are Manchester United.