Mourinho Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I have mixed feelings about this. I am extremely uncomfortable with the press going after our managers from the off, judging them disproportionately to other big teams’ bosses. You may all ‘rejoice’ now, but the prescedence just continues.

People should realise the ‘genius Pep’, or the ‘infectious Klopp’ would likely have turned out different here. Klopp wasn’t judged on results for a long time, and Pep had an underwhelming first season, with little consequence. The pressure our new Boss, and subsequently, our players will have to work under is ridiculous, and conducive to failure until we are firmly established as an underdog club, then they’ll all get behind us hoping we can topple City or whoever is top dog.

Emery has been allowed to get on with his job and nobody even paid attention to what was happening there until we all turned around and noticed ‘Christ, they’ve won 10 in a row over there’. However, he lost his first two league games which would have been so different here, and things less likely to just transform.

On one hand, I’m not blind and can see things aren’t working. I’m just wary of a cycle of constant instability, which is largely press-driven. Jose came out of last season with no credit in the bank, despite coming second, ahead of Klopp and Poch. You always felt the press were still pushing for him to be sacked, and that will be unhealthy for many managers.

I’ve said before, but unless we appoint Harry Kane, Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard, I expect the press to bully whoever out of the job eventually. It’s a catch-22 as that cycle can only be broken by refusing to give in, but then, or a manager who wins the league immediately.

reddaz71

Had to happen but will things improve? highly unlikely,the players are average,the board dont want to spend and to be perfectly honest the timing of this just before the transfer window when Mourinho would have been demanding signings is pretty telling!

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Only Guardiola deserves Guardiola money. What's with the fascination for overpaying for managers? You'd think Mourinho would've been a huge lesson.
Pochettino has it nice and comfy at Spurs atm. How do you propose to lure him away from it within England? Money (imo) and i'd be up for it in his case, he's proven himself in the league and international. About 15 mil a season seems fair to me considering the circumstamces, United have to get it right.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Blanc makes a lot of sense, if he does well there could be a perminant appointment too, kind of like a 6 month interview.
We need a sense of stability more than anything else right now and Carrick will provide that. He knows the club inside out and he has the respect of the players by all accounts.

Patrick08

Not sure about that. He creates a maelstrom of misery, which in part serves as a sort of plausible deniability to the outsider. Can't be bothered with this 'who started it' enormous pettiness, but my word look at his CV. Surely we can placate him if we just treat him really nicely. And he lives to fight another day.

Wouldn't be surprised to see another punter give that experiment a go.
Who by the way? Madrid? Surely not Barcelona. Not bayern either, and neither juventus. Hardly any one in top 6 in England. Will psg be willing to let neymar and mbappe managed by Mourinho? Let's see. That leaves inter or ac Milan with a chance. I have no clue about how atletico Madrid fanbase would think of him.

crossy1686

career ending
Neville put his finger on it on Sunday.

There's a lot more going on. United are buying dross for 50m, 90m . . . absurd sums of money. . . for players no other top European clubs are interested in.

United have seriously terrible scouts because when Liverpool wee signing the likes of Salah & Fermino, United were signing Pogba & Fellaini
Not sure it's the scouts, it's more a case of the manager being able to decide who he wants and Woodward going out and buying them at whatever the cost. It's not sustainable when you change manager every couple of years. You need to have someone who buys with the ethos of the club in mind.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
As caretakers, how about Phelan Meulensteen, Querioz etc? ...not sure if any of the old guard are available?

Basically, right the major wrong of ditching the baby with the bath water.

Ditching all SAFs coaching staff was the single biggest balls up we made imo.
No it was not I have no idea why people still harp on this.

Skills

Snitch
Pochettino has it nice and comfy at Spurs atm. How do you propose to lure him away from it within England? Money (imo) and i'd be up for it in his case, he's proven himself in the league and international. About 15 mil a season seems fair to me considering the circumstamces, United have to get it right.
Ambition.

Secondly we'd still pay him more than Spurs can. Doesn't mean we should pay him the same as the best manager in the world.

Ban

Having Maguire or Alderweireld in this team wouldn't change a thing. Our issue is the team wasn't coached and had zero attacking idea's.

We barely strung a pass together and couldn't counter attack to save our lives. Having 1 better defender wouldn't fix any of that. Maybe ship a few less goals but that's a minor detail compared to the real issues.
Agree. But in any case not backing him after renewing a contract was daft.

minoo-utd

I don't care as long as we see some excitement some joy in play football an easy on eyes football and attacking one. We need someone to offer absolutely the opposite of what Jose did. Positivity and talk well about the players and the club.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We need a sense of stability more than anything else right now and Carrick will provide that. He knows the club inside out and he has the respect of the players by all accounts.
He's been part of the coaching staff so far, the football has been horrible and the man has little to no experience as a manager. Definite no from me. At least bring someone like Conte in if Zozou or Pochettino don't want it.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
If I were doing the sales pitch to Poch, I'd be talking up the fact that the only way is up for United, and he'll have the time and resources to get us back on top, while at Spurs, the only way they've got to go is backwards, particularly if investment takes a hit with the stadium.

FrantikChicken

What's 'Arry doing these days?
Evra has his badges I remember an interview where he said Fergie convinced him to get his badges saying he would be a great manager
Did you see his Instagram post? The guy loves the club. If he has his badges then he might be an interesting choice till the end of the season.

Affirmation

Just seeing this as been on a night-shift but... AH I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ACTUALLY SACKED HIM WHAT A RELIEF :drool:

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
What is Blanc doing right now anyways? I mean is he managing someone? What's his achievements?
As it seems after PSG he didn't train anybody.

His achievments are: 4x french champion (3x PSG, 1x Bdx), 2x french cup champion (PSG), 4x french league cup champion (3x PSG, 1x Bdx), 5x french super cup champion (3x PSG, 2x Bdx)

Furthermore (games / average points)
Bdx: 159/1,96
Fra: 27/2,04
PSG: 173/2,36

Actually he just got sacked at Paris cause they weren't able to go up in CL (If I remember correctly there was also some issure with the ref).

As mentioned above, from the available coaches/managers he seems to be the best choice, currently)!

Reactions: KM

Listar

So now that Mourinho is gone who are we going to blame for the results?

Foxbatt

Why would Poch come? It is his team at Spurs. He gets a fairly free hand and he is not under pressure there at all. At United he will immediately come under pressure to win trophies and at the same time play good football and get his transfers right. Unless United throw an obscene sum of money he is not going to even look at it. Even then I do not think Levy will let him go without a huge fee.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Evra has his badges I remember an interview where he said Fergie convinced him to get his badges saying he would be a great manager
I have a very good feeling about him too. Certainly for the future.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agree. But in any case not backing him after renewing a contract was daft.
Perhaps, but i'm sure if he had chosen reasonable options it wouldn't have been a question.

At that point 70m on Maguire or Alderweireld was just not feasible. I'm sure we would have got another in January if he'd remained positive and patient, but nope he cried like a spoilt child.

He proved that he couldn't make the team better with the players at his disposal, so he deserved no extra time. Good riddance and we can finally move forward AGAIN.

Hal9000

Looks like Woody has been briefing the media.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46603018

• The decision was taken in the long term interests of club
  • The club views the last few months as disappointing and unsettling. It felt a change had to be made
  • It is unhappy there has been no progress in results or style, despite Mourinho being responsible for choosing all 11 signings
  • It has accepted players and staff were not happy under Mourinho
  • Young players were not developed.
  • Mourinho wanted to work within his own structure - the club will be looking to add a head of football.
  • That person would be in overall charge of the football side of the club, reporting to Ed Woodward
  • The club also says the new manager will understand the philosophy of the club, including its attacking traditions.
  • The club hope to appoint a caretaker-manager before they face Cardiff City on 22 December but it will not be assistant manager Michael Carrick or academy boss Nicky Butt.
  • The candidate will be drawn from outside the club, but will not be former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.

Skills

Snitch
Why would Poch come? It is his team at Spurs. He gets a fairly free hand and he is not under pressure there at all. At United he will immediately come under pressure to win trophies and at the same time play good football and get his transfers right. Unless United throw an obscene sum of money he is not going to even look at it. Even then I do not think Levy will let him go without a huge fee.
Because people at the top of their professions are usually quite ambitious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.