Mourinho Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentP

How come Real Madrid have no problems giving the job to their reserve manager? I'm not saying we should do the same but maybe give it temporarily to Carrick or Butt or somebody else within the system.

How come Barcelona have no problems doing the same? They gave it to Pep, Vilanova, etc? They also have no problems hiring someone like Valverde or Luis Enriquez, etc. Managers from the league who are managing smaller clubs.

Why do we always have to go after a big-name manager when the last two that we hired were massive, massive flops?
Mainly because these clubs don't have to worry about things like CL qualification. They also have a proper structure and can afford to change managers frequently. Right now, we are out of the running for top 4 and can't take too many risks.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I know this is a bit of a stupid question, but is there any way to track what the most popular Manchester United related tweet has been?

At this moment in time, the tweet regarding Mourinho's departure has:

- 15k comments.
- 79k re-tweets.
- 97k likes.

That's got to be a record, surely?

I'm curious because I am certain the club will be monitoring stuff like this.

klsv

Can we merge the Spurs' new stadium thread with this too? For Glaston's sake.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think we have to ignore whatever's going on with City and Liverpool, and anyone else for that matter. We focus on getting the team playing proper football, developing the wealth of young talent we have at the club, and see where that takes us, because it should take us far. A few astute signings and the right motivation for the players currently at the club, and we'll see a massive difference.

Liverpool are currently top with the likes of Wijnaldum, Henderson, Milner and Lovren all playing regular roles in their team. They've a number of young "question mark" players all benefiting from a manager showing some faith in them, rather than chucking them under the bus to cover for his own shortcomings.
I fear we're in a bit of a pickle. Pogba has been here for three years and doesn't want to sit around and wait anymore. The same goes for De Gea or Martial. We're under the risk of losing our best players if we don't show enough ambition. Without the aformentioned, the project would get a lot more difficult, IMO. Still as you said, with a few astute signings we could be up there next season.

The notion that a good manager can make average players up their level is true. A better atmosphere can do wonders. Let's hope for the best.

Fracture90

For long enough to at least be with Spurs a full season in our new stadium and see where this takes us.

Pochettino isn't going abandon all that - and all the potential he's built up - in favour of starting all over again at United in 5 months time and having to deal with your dysfunctional mess and with only EL football to look forward to.

Some United fans really do have a super-inflated and highly delusional view of United's draw these days in comparison to Spurs.
No need for that condescending bs at the end.

I think he'll stay with Spurs at least till the end of this season, but anything beyond that will depend on multitude of different factors. Signings, club's ambition, that new stadium etc.

With Spurs not having money to invest in the team this past summer due to their previously mentioned stadium every raising expenses, if things stay the same in the next summer, he might start thinking about other options.

Like it or not, as it stands and probably for the foreseeable future and with all due respect for Spurs, UTD is and will be a bigger club. We may be struggling now but if the board pitches good enough offer to Pochettino, who knows.

MrBest

Would blanc take the job knowing he won't go perm in the summer? Would Zidane do the same? OGS just signed a new deal with his club, would he step aside from that to be interim manager? Giggs just started at Wales, again will he throw that away? Cannot also see Howe leaving Bournemouth for a few months.
After this you have Butt, Neville, Carrick and Keane who all know the club and possibly won't be too upset to leave in July.

Personally I would go for Giggs. Knows United inside out, highly respected, wants to play attacking football and just don't have the players at Wales. Would be a great step up for him for a few months and lead him on to another role at a prem club.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I fear we're in a bit of a pickle. Pogba has been here for three years and doesn't want to sit around and wait anymore. The same goes for De Gea or Martial. We're under the risk of losing our best players if we don't show enough ambition. Without the aformentioned, the project would get a lot more difficult, IMO. Still as you said, with a few astute signings we could be up there next season.

The notion that a good manager can make average players up their level is true. A better atmosphere can do wonders. Let's hope for the best.
If things show signs of improving and they start enjoying their football again, I see no reason why we can't keep hold of them. I 100% believe the issue has been with Mourinho.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I know this is a bit of a stupid question, but is there any way to track what the most popular Manchester United related tweet has been?

At this moment in time, the tweet regarding Mourinho's departure has:

- 15k comments.
- 79k re-tweets.
- 97k likes.

That's got to be a record, surely?

I'm curious because I am certain the club will be monitoring stuff like this.
I could be wrong but I think the Alexis Sanchez announcement is our most popular tweet.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You didn't need to merge the threads, though.

I don't see how 'Mourinho getting the sack' and 'who our next caretaker/permanent manager will be' are even remotely related.
One follows from the other. Unlike the dozens of near identical threads.

Devils11

Remember Real Madrid is also looking for a manager. The only 2 managers left that wont go to Real are Zizou and Simeone . My bets are on these 2.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What happens if the interim does a cracking job but the job is already promised to someone else?

Moyes has 6 months left on his contract, just saying

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Still listening to Talksport and fans of other teams are chipping in now and again about them talking about us all day. Carabao Q/F and nobody cares. :lol::lol:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So merge threads, but merge them into different "megathreads" instead of putting them all together. Mourinho getting sacked is on its own an interesting topic to discuss, which is separate from the question of interim manager, which is potentially separate from the question of permanent manager. There are good discussions to be had on all of those topics, but right now the thread is moving so fast and on so many different tangents that it's probably putting people off from participating.

I realize that deciding which thread to merge where would be more work for you lot, but this is the biggest United story in quite a while. If you don't have the manpower to do it, fair enough.
All one related story.

As were the many near identical thought bubble threads.

Robbie Boy

ah yea untenable is an understatement. I never wanted the cnut here tbh, anyone could have foreseen this all happening at some point. Skysports are reporting it.

The big issue is that within 12 months we've seen Woodward give Mourinho an extension to his original contract, allowed him to sign 5 players and then sacked him. Mourinho is a symptom of a bigger problem at the club and sacking him with no backup plan is not a good sign. Surely we should have been lining someone up for the last couple of months at least if the club was being properly managed, Woodward gave his warnings in the press but still didn't put a plan in place. Crazy stuff when you think of it. Circus really.
The thing is, I actually did want him but I wasn't odious enough to refuse to change my mind my when I realised that it wasn't working for him. I mean, what I expected from him and what we actually got were miles apart but I guess being right on an internet forum means more to some and they continued to blindly defend him. Why exactly I expected him to change and / or get his swagger back is beyond me, but I did. By the end of last season I had pretty much had enough and in a thread on here from May with a voting option, I did actually vote that I wanted him gone. However, I wasn't the least bit vocal at that stage and was willing to see how we would look this season. I mean the summer was a fecking shambles and it's been a shambles since then.

In relation to the board 'letting him' sign players, I guess that they still had relative faith in him turning it around and it's not their fault that Mourinho grossly mismanaged the squad and simply couldn't get the best out of anyone. What was bizarre from the board was giving him a new deal and not backing him during the summer. I mean, I'm delighted that they didn't as it would be more overpriced shite if the reports are true that wanted the likes of Boateng, Perisic and Maguire. To me, the majority of this utter shambles is well and truly on Mourinho's head.

I'm not overly-confident that this board / Woodward will make the right decisions in the future but hiring a DOF and having an actual vision will be a start. It didn't work out with Moyes and LvG but I feel after Mourinho and the damage he has done, they will change how they work. Maybe that's more hope than expectation but after this debacle I would be astonished if they let the club slip further and become more embarrassing than it has been in recent years.

Ban

He got 4 players for this season: Sanchez, Dalot, Fred and Grant. Yes he didn't get McGuire or Toby or Mina and his wish to swap Martial with William didn't go through, but no manager gets everyone he wants; this year Pep didn't get Sanchez, Gerginho and Fred, Poch got no one but they didn't start drama like the so called "Special One" did.

My take on Mourinho is that, he knew he was lucky to get 2nd place last season, not because the team wasn't good enough but because his style of management wasn't good enough anymore and he needed to reinvent himself. Last season's 2nd place was due to some favorable circumstances and De Gea. He knew he was incapable of beating Guardiola and Klopp so he created a narrative during preseason that he wasn't backed to deflect from his incompetence, and some fans bought into it. Mourinho is finished at high level and he'll sink into oblivion like Moyes; Manchester United was his last chance to try to salvage his legacy but he fecked it too; I'm happy he's been exposed for the fraud he was.
We were 2nd cause of favorable circumstances and DDG just? Not sure I agree.
Also don't agree he'll disappear.

Dyslexic Untied

Let's go for Cantona for the rest of the season or until another is in place.

No one would bring more character and enthusiasm at a much needed time, and we really don't have much to lose anyway.

snk123

Mourinho sacked YAYYY
Interim Manager: Ole or Cantona
Next Manager: Poch

Am i doing this right mods?

Skills

Snitch
What happens if the interim does a cracking job but the job is already promised to someone else?

Moyes has 6 months left on his contract, just saying
I think it's very stupid to offer an interim the job based on 6 months. It's a very unique situation where he's going to benefit from a natural rebound, and there's a very good chance you'll end up doing a Di Matteo or a Sherwood giving someone the job on the back of it.

Stick with your conviction.

el3mel

External appointment but not Butt or Carrick, surely they don't mean Neville ? :D

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Would blanc take the job knowing he won't go perm in the summer? Would Zidane do the same? OGS just signed a new deal with his club, would he step aside from that to be interim manager? Giggs just started at Wales, again will he throw that away? Cannot also see Howe leaving Bournemouth for a few months.
After this you have Butt, Neville, Carrick and Keane who all know the club and possibly won't be too upset to leave in July.

Personally I would go for Giggs. Knows United inside out, highly respected, wants to play attacking football and just don't have the players at Wales. Would be a great step up for him for a few months and lead him on to another role at a prem club.
This i've read on bluemoon. Most of them would like us to give it to Giggsy. Not sure what i think about Giggs becoming the manager, good thing is that he would demand attacking football, whether he could coach and motivate them enough remains a different question. I have to think about it a bit.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Might as well give Carrick and McKenna the job until the end of the season.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
The thing is, I actually did want him but I wasn't odious enough to refuse to change my mind my when I realised that it wasn't working for him. I mean, what I expected from him and what we actually got were miles apart but I guess being right on an internet forum means more to some and they continued to blindly defend him. Why exactly I expected him to change and / or get his swagger back is beyond me, but I did. By the end of last season I had pretty much had enough and in a thread on here from May with a voting option, I did actually vote that I wanted him gone. However, I wasn't the least bit vocal at that stage and was willing to see how we would look this season. I mean the summer was a fecking shambles and it's been a shambles since then.

In relation to the board 'letting him' sign players, I guess that they still had relative faith in him turning it around and it's not their fault that Mourinho grossly mismanaged the squad and simply couldn't get the best out of anyone. What was bizarre from the board was giving him a new deal and not backing him during the summer. I mean, I'm delighted that they didn't as it would be more overpriced shite if the reports are true that we anted the likes of Boateng, Perisic and Maguire. To me, the majority of this utter shambles is well and truly on Mourinho's head.

I'm not overly-confident that this board / Woodward will make the right decisions in the future but hiring a DOF and having an actual vision will be a start. It didn't work out with Moyes and LvG but I feel after Mourinho and the damage he has done, they will change how they work. Maybe that's more hope than expectation but after this debacle I would be astonished if they let the club slip further and become more embarrassing than it has been in recent years.
Same. I thought he would build a side like his Madrid team, with lightning, deadly counter-attacks. Can't even remember the last time we made a proper counter-attacking goal.

diarm

Some United fans really do have a super-inflated and highly delusional view of United's draw these days in comparison to Spurs.
Do you ever worry about looking silly when you say things?

I reckon we should make Berba and Carrick assistants to Poch when we take him from you. They'd be cracking coaches for Eriksen and Kane to work with next season.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
My only worry with Poch is his lack of trophies and Spurs reputation of bottling big games, although that's been going on for years and well before his time, he hasnt exactly turned it around any. The football would be decent though.

Status
Not open for further replies.