Mourinho or Pogba?

If it was an either/or situation, who would you rather United keep?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GM K

I blame Jose.

He is trying too hard to be a different man / manager. The Jose I used to know wouldn't give a damn about what anyone thinks or says. He would go to war with any player who challenged his authority or burn down the house if necessary to win even if that means walking out in the third season. But these days, this Jose wants to say all the right things, play a player if the fans and media demand it and even give the player an arm band. I was surprised during his last interview when he refused to talk about individual players because 'if I do that, you, pundits and everyone will criticize me....' (or something like that). The real Jose would never have cared. He would have dried some hair out there.

He is also trying to play the football people want and he is doing a terrible job of it. His kind of football was good enough: park the bus, get the ball, strike hard and win the trophies. To do that, he recruited warriors and benched sissies.

I think he is too desperate for the United Job. The real Jose was the guy whining during pre-season when the board failed to recruit. That was the real Jose. He would let you know exactly how he felt. The real Jose never cared much about age in recruiting. He brought in a player if he thought the player was tough enough to go to war. He wouldn't stick to a Martial or a Rashford just to look good. He would sell anyone that wanted out or bench anyone that cost him points. Simple.

This is why I have come to agree with those who want Jose out and who say he is a bad fit. Unless the board backs him up 100% and that includes buying who he wants, giving him full control over the squad and allowing him to play how he wants to play, then there is absolutely no point retaining Mourinho. For me, it is as simple as that.

But make no mistake about it, the same conditions will have to apply to anyone else that replaces Jose for us to experience success. Full squad / footballing control plus plenty of time to sort things out or nothing. As things stand, even Mr. Guardiola will struggle to achieve anything worthwhile at United unless we make some fundamental changes.

Kyriacandro

I wouldn't care if Pogba left now not like we are losing the Pogba that plays for france or the Pogba that played for juve. We are losing the man united Pogba which in all honesty is just an average player that has a good game every 5 or 6. And all this crap with Raiola going on now is a disgrace we know now why sir alex hates him and probably why he allowed Pogba to leave

Marcky411

It is really a sad state of affairs that players at Utd are coming out so blatantly saying they want to leave due to the manager and the treatment of them by said manager. If it was a case that the team was performing well and everything looked rosy and we were competing for honours, I would say sell those two before they infect the rest of the squad with their negativity but that isn't the case here. We have seen this past window players coming out ( which hasn't happened before)publicly stating they don't want to come to Utd and play for this manager due to the style of football etc. So to say sell Pogba and replace him with a better player is FiFa football manager talk.
Firstly players better than Pogba are already at big clubs or have caught the eye of big clubs and secondly with the shambles UTD are in at the moment do you really think that Utd will be able to attract such players, I doubt it. Ed and the board have been taking a battering due to the lack of transfers this summer but maybe and just maybe the players wanted didn't want to come and the ones that did were like Sanchez, a mercenary looking for one last big pay day knowing he is past it and just getting by on his name and past accomplishments, just like Jose as a manager.

John Blund

Based on our play, and whom to blame, I'd say Mourhino, but based on Pogbas post-match interview, and Raiolas tweets, I'd say Pogba.

No team needs players that are bigger than the club. I'm sure Pogba will be a success in Barcelona or China, but I'd rather have him happy in another club, than as a cancer in our club.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It certainly does seem that Pogba believes he is now bigger than the club. Being made captain took his hype to new levels.
I'd bench him for the next few matches until his head clears and he is willing to fight hard for the shirt, again.

In Rainbows

Because he has done virtually nothing since he joined you could count how good games on one hand. It's not Mourinhos fault Bailly had one of the worst games I've ever seen a CB have ?
No you cannot do that. That is obviously not true. If that is the case what does that say about the rest of the team? Like I see those obvious bad mistakes Pogba had in that highlight. Guess what? Our only shot on target outside of the 2 goals was his long distance screamer. The next closest shot on target was his pass to Lukaku which he fluffed. So as bad as he was, what does that say about the rest of the team? Who had a great game against Brighton? Our best player was probably Shaw.

Again, a section of the fanbase likes to scapegoat Pogba and want to get rid of him. Yet are you judging the other players the same way you judge Pogba? Of course you don't and part of that is due to his stature and wage. So ask yourself, how would getting rid of Pogba make United better? You would be getting rid of one of our more gifted and better performing players, all because you believe he should be doing better.

OL29

It certainly does seem that Pogba believes he is now bigger than the club. Being made captain took his hype to new levels.
I'd bench him for the next few matches until his head clears and he is willing to fight hard for the shirt, again.
What makes this so clear? His performance at the weekend? His comments after the match? Raiola's tweets? Because I've seen nothing from Pogba that makes me think he think he's too big for the club. People just read into anything and everything and make up their mind on little evidence.

Rolaholic

What makes this so clear? His performance at the weekend? His comments after the match? Raiola's tweets? Because I've seen nothing from Pogba that makes me think he think he's too big for the club. People just read into anything and everything and make up their mind on little evidence.
But his agent defended him against an ex-players criticisms just like his manager did,how dare he!

Laurentiu amt

People are sheep.

KennyBurner

This is our current captain https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeRafonehed/status/1031880628004970496 . Mind you these are only second half highlights.

You see his biggest problem is how immature he is. He has a god like perception of himself when in fact he isn’t that good. When he is criticized he takes it as a personal attack and sends his agent to do all the dirty work for him on social media.

Does he even watch any of his videos where he played bad just to see if he can improve. I’m afraid we fans are in for a long season if we can’t get pogba’s head out of his ass. Most of his mistakes have nothing to do with tactics from mourinho but him just being careless and thinking he is more than what he is.

eams conway

No you cannot do that. That is obviously not true. If that is the case what does that say about the rest of the team? Like I see those obvious bad mistakes Pogba had in that highlight. Guess what? Our only shot on target outside of the 2 goals was his long distance screamer. The next closest shot on target was his pass to Lukaku which he fluffed. So as bad as he was, what does that say about the rest of the team? Who had a great game against Brighton? Our best player was probably Shaw.

Again, a section of the fanbase likes to scapegoat Pogba and want to get rid of him. Yet are you judging the other players the same way you judge Pogba? Of course you don't and part of that is due to his stature and wage. So ask yourself, how would getting rid of Pogba make United better? You would be getting rid of one of our more gifted and better performing players, all because you believe he should be doing better.
This thread is called Pogba or Mourinho? That is why I mentioned Pogba there's a clue in the title! . As gifted as he may be he does next to nothing for us on a consistent basis in my eyes he is one of the most over rated footballers on the planet !

Cantonagotmehere

It is really a sad state of affairs that players at Utd are coming out so blatantly saying they want to leave due to the manager and the treatment of them by said manager. If it was a case that the team was performing well and everything looked rosy and we were competing for honours, I would say sell those two before they infect the rest of the squad with their negativity but that isn't the case here. We have seen this past window players coming out ( which hasn't happened before)publicly stating they don't want to come to Utd and play for this manager due to the style of football etc. So to say sell Pogba and replace him with a better player is FiFa football manager talk.
Firstly players better than Pogba are already at big clubs or have caught the eye of big clubs and secondly with the shambles UTD are in at the moment do you really think that Utd will be able to attract such players, I doubt it. Ed and the board have been taking a battering due to the lack of transfers this summer but maybe and just maybe the players wanted didn't want to come and the ones that did were like Sanchez, a mercenary looking for one last big pay day knowing he is past it and just getting by on his name and past accomplishments, just like Jose as a manager.
Serious question. Is it a fact he wants to leave? Where is this quoted as fact?

ZenMaster Coltrane

I love how the Pogba haters's ammunition is his hair, dancing, on field gesticulations, and his agent. Let's look at passing and dribbling ability, speed, power... Let's look at influence on a game...chances created. Let's look at assists per 90 min. Let's look at his interplay in a properly coached team with competent wingers. Let's look at all of it. And then let's reminisce about Roy Keane or Paul Scholes for some unknown reason.

The JM system is trash. CBs are making ~80% of their passes in their own end. Attackers are not arriving in the box. FBs are liabilities at both ends. But yes, a true world class player would make Ashley Young look like Marcelo or Mendy. This ridiculous notion that an uninspired squad with little belief in the manager's tactics can just endlessly will themselves to victories against average teams is pure fantasy. I can't take these people seriously at all. Italy and Holland should have just willed themselves to the WC irrespective of their managers or the lack of cohesion. If you want a cake to rise and hold it's shape, you need certain ingredients. It doesn't matter if you have the finest cake flour on earth, you need leavening agents.

Neo_Mufc

We as fans sometimes get caught up in the emotional turmoil which are the highs or lows of being a supporter.

Unfortunately Pogba is a much greater asset to the club than Jose is to the business.

Jose will be gone within 9 months. A new manager will get Pogba playing the way we want and we start the process all over again.

The days of a manager having a deep control within are over.

Kyriacandro

But the problem is with Raiola in his corner is he ever going to be happy with us. Everytime a little thing doesn't go his way this crap is going to happen.

Look at the situation 1.He started crying because Alexis came and is getting more money

2. He cried more when he got dropped for playing average at best

Then 3. JM says he needs to focus on United like he does for france which everyone knows is true and he cries more. The kid needs to pull his head in and just play football and not worry about haircuts, Twitter and his agent

scholesyboy18

Manchester United does not need players who consider themselves above the team or manager , nor players who cannot give 100% on pitch where it really matters. I don't see any drive, energy or passion in Pogba and he is full of himself. And his agent Mino Raiola is a cancer, I'm not even sure if that's the word to be used because cancer is curable.

Maybe after all there was a reason our great manager Fergie did not consider playing Pogba back then when most of our midfield was not available, was because of his attitude, who knows. I definitely think re-signing him was a mistake in hindsight , we could do without him.

Pogba is slow to release the ball, hardly has any off the ball movement and is not available for a pass most of the time.

Coming to Mourinho I really thought he could be a short term fix for Utd, but it looks like that is not the case. After the last game it looks like players hardly give a shit. There is no movement, no co-ordination, no tactics, no style, the team has no identity. Even after conceding a goal, we are grazing the pitch like we are cruising the match.

Even Fergie's team towards the end was not all that good technically, but if there was one thing that could be said then its that team always tried, gave their best. Definitely if Utd was trailing, you could see the match and would know that without checking the scoreline.

I think both needs to go, we need a manager who can get the 11 to play as a team, then maybe sign few good players and improve. We already have seen that Leicester win the league by playing like a team, yes maybe some of the other teams were not that good, but still winning a league of 38 games is a big achievement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I know its not right to back players over the manager but Jose's days are numbered. There's an incredible player in Pogba.

We will regret selling him.

Jose had Hazard playing like a hungover Sunday league player at one point.

Jev

I know its not right to back players over the manager but Jose's days are numbered. There's an incredible player in Pogba.

We will regret selling him.

Jose had Hazard playing like a hungover Sunday league player at one point.
Why wouldn't it be right when the manager is a mentally unstable, egomaniacal manchild who only thinks about himself and will continue to drag the club down for as long as he's here?

If you care about Manchester United, you want Mourinho out.

Paxi

Why wouldn't it be right when the manager is a mentally unstable, egomaniacal manchild who only thinks about himself and will continue to drag the club down for as long as he's here?

Because it sets a bad precedent for player power at the club. We haven't had it that bad as far as player power goes these days.

I agree with you on Mourinho. He's unstable and it shows with Ramos, Iker, Ronaldo, Cesc, Costa, Hazard, Pogba.

One constant there is -- they're all super players with big egos and most certainly have strong personalities. Something tells me Jose much rather work with players like Matic, Perisic and Willian who are brilliant players in their own right but also who will blindly follow Mourinho off the cliff along with him.

SirAF

Ageist

It's fine to want Mourinho out, but this is just stupid :lol:

Jev

It's fine to want Mourinho out, but this is just stupid :lol:
It's actually very accurate. Okay, maybe 'erratic' would be more accurate than 'mentally unstable' but I don't see how you could argue with the rest.

SirAF

Ageist
It's actually very accurate. Okay, maybe 'erratic' would be more accurate than 'mentally unstable' but I don't see how you could argue with the rest.
It's certainly not balanced.

Baxter

Football heritage.
Flirting with PSG.
The respect rant.
Slagging off players almost weekly. (Jones and Bailly last night)

Worse than anything Pogba has said. Nobody is bigger than the club apparently, except Mourinho himself.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'm still befuddled that Mourinho wasn't sacked midway through his post-sevilla press conference, where he decided to take a dump on his players, the club, and gloat about it

At any other big club he'd have been punted into the sun for that

Pogba has been unprofessional in his interviews this season. Mourinho has been far, far worse, since midway through last season

Jev

Because it sets a bad precedent for player power at the club. We haven't had it that bad as far as player power goes these days.

I agree with you on Mourinho. He's unstable and it shows with Ramos, Iker, Ronaldo, Cesc, Costa, Hazard, Pogba.

One constant there is -- they're all super players with big egos and most certainly have strong personalities. Something tells me Jose much rather work with players like Matic, Perisic and Willian who are brilliant players in their own right but also who will blindly follow Mourinho off the cliff along with him.
This is undoubtedly true. The problem is, if all you have are average-to-good players, you have an average-to-good team. If Mourinho can't work with superstars, he shouldn't manage United.

SirAF

Ageist
That's true. I'm completely fed up with Mourinho, as I think all United fans should be.
He's not making it easy for himself, but I think we all know that United's problems run far deeper. It's not going to get significantly better with another manager, I feel. The squad still needs major additions to push (WIN) for the Premier League and Champions League - and there's not really any financial incentive for the owners to do so.

Hamadovich86

Neither, sack Mourinho now and sell Pogba in the summer for a huge sum or otherwise he stays.

Paxi

This is undoubtedly true. The problem is, if all you have are average-to-good players, you have an average-to-good team. If Mourinho can't work with superstars, he shouldn't manage United.
100%

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

It depends on the reasons behind the conflict, I noticed that football fans are quick to go with the "player power" narrative without taking into account the context. The players could easily have a very good reason to turn against the manager it's not necessarily about power. Football players have experience when it comes to how a club is run, how training sessions are conducted, they know what is happening behind the scene. People seem to think that the board will magically be aware of issues that might see a manager sacked but someone has to talk first and it will most likely be a player or a group of players since in our case the board members aren't closely monitoring every training sessions.

That's also why most clubs have a DOF between the board and the head coach because in general the DOF is the one monitoring things closely but at United there is no one between the HC and the board.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Honestly, I'd say neither. Mourinho because it's simply not working and Pogba, because Manchester United is obviously not the center of his universe and that's showing.

Andersons Dietician

There aren’t many people with the skill or talent of Pogba about so really he is kinda unreplacable. Maybe we could move in a different direction but to get a player with half his skill would now cost close to what we paid for him.
No brainier for me, bye bye Jose and hope the next man can strike that bond with Pogba and get the best out of him.