Mourinho or Pogba?

If it was an either/or situation, who would you rather United keep?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crossy1686

career ending
I think the bottom line will be decided by the money men and Pogba makes more money than Jose does. His marketability is second to none right now, Ed said as much at the close of the window.

Infra-red

Real seem to do alright sticking by their best players, especially in the face of Jose's nonsense. Turned out alright for them binning him off.
Real Madrid? They were an absolute basket case when it came to managers, 9 of them in just 7 years and only 2 trophies won. That's not something to emulate. Their most successful period finally came post-the galactico nonsense, when they occasionally backed their managers.

There's also a difference between a manager losing the entire dressingroom (which there's currently no evidence of at United) and falling out with a single player. We have to back the manager in this individual feud with Pogba. Fire him for failing to qualify for the CL and winning no trophies - that's the sort of precedent one can offer a defence of.

Moriarty

If someone like zidane came in and got us playing some exciting football. There is no way Pogba would want to leave.
As long as Raiola is part of the equation, Pogba will leave. He's already stated that United would be a three-year gig then off to Real. Maybe Zidane might exert some influence over the player (and over the team as a whole) but I reckon a deal is already in the works, as it was when Pogba left Juve.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Real Madrid? They were an absolute basket case when it came to managers, 9 of them in just 7 years and only 2 trophies won. That's not something to emulate. Their most successful period finally came post-galactico nonsense, on the occasions where they backed their manager.

There's also a difference between a manager losing the entire dressingroom (which there's currently no evidence of at United) and falling out with a single player. We have to back the manager in this individual feud with Pogba. Fire him for failing to qualify for the CL and winning no trophies - that's the sort of precedent one can offer a defence of.
Their most successful period in recent years came when they backed players and sacked manager. Won 4 out of 5 CLs and 1 La Liga.

mancan92

Real Madrid? They were an absolute basket case when it came to managers, 9 of them in just 7 years and only 2 trophies won. That's not something to emulate. Their most successful period finally came post-galactico nonsense, on the occasions where they backed their manager.

Come on mate Mourniho is clearly not in the good books of many players. Pogba just one of them, its naive to suggest otherwise. We would be firing him for failing to create a plan and bring exciting or results based football and creating a circus around the club. Thats easily enough for the sack. Also Real Madrid only backed the manager when he won stuff. If Zidane had won nothing he would have been out of a job exactly like everyone else.

mancan92

As long as Raiola is part of the equation, Pogba will leave. He's already stated that United would be a three-year gig then off to Real. Maybe Zidane might exert some influence over the player (and over the team as a whole) but I reckon a deal is already in the works, as it was when Pogba left Juve.
Maybe but personally for me its clear pogba wants out because of Jose not the club. If someone like zidane came along he would be transformed as a player and a personality.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Pogba. He's a global star and at 25 years old he's likely to enter his peak years now. Why the feck would you sell him? I reckon he'd thrive under a new manager.

Infra-red

Come on mate Mourniho is clearly not in the good books of many players. Pogba just one of them, its naive to suggest otherwise. We would be firing him for failing to create a plan and bring exciting or results based football and creating a circus around the club. Thats easily enough for the sack. Also Real Madrid only backed the manager when he won stuff. If Zidane had won nothing he would have been out of a job exactly like everyone else.
That's fine. You can sack Mourinho for failing to win trophies or failing to get top 4 or not playing entertaining football. You can't sack him because Paul Pogba told you to.

USREDEVIL

Last night was a decent opportunity to have Mourinho show Pogba who is the most important. Mourinho had pretty much the entire squad at his disposal, and fielded a strong side against Derby. Pogba was out. Good conditions for a convincing win playing a championship side at home. And what does he do? Loses. Either Mourinho has 1) lost the dressing room; or 2) he's not set the team up to win properly. Or both.

Infra-red

Pogba. He's a global star and at 25 years old he's likely to enter his peak years now. Why the feck would you sell him? I reckon he'd thrive under a new manager.
It's possible he's made his position at the club untenable (deliberately so, most likely). You can't back a player over the manager, it sets the wrong precedent.

Nico87

Why is Pogba Implying Mourinho is the one who is responsible for the lack of attacking football seen as much more disrespectful than the manger constantly implying it's the plays refusing to implement his attacking vision? One of them is clearly distorting the truth, and I'm more inclined to belvive Pogba with regards to this particular argument.

When Mourinho was announced there was an apprehension that he would A) alienate our best players and B)continue the type of tedious football Van Gaal and Moyes wre producing ( which is the main reason they lost the backing of fans, more so than the results). Mourinho has always been synonymous with pragmatic football and prioritising shutting down the opposition, and a lot of our players before coming to us were admired for their attacking prowess at their previous clubs. I struggle to believe that they've abandoned that philosophy for a safety 1st approach while Jose is pleading with them to go for the jugular.

The argument that Sir Alex wouldn't have put up with this is correct, but also deeply flawed in I don't believe a player would have become so disillusioned with his style of football that they would have got sick with him blaming it on them to absolve himself of blame in the eyes of fans and journalists, that they felt the need to contradict him in the press. The argument that is being used nobody can be bigger than the club is laughable, no sane person thinks that admitting that Pogba has a point is an admission that he's somehow bigger than the club.

I also don't believe this is Pogba disrespecting the club or his team-mates, he's purely aiming his criticism at the manager (he's pandering to the fans if anything). Scholes has also constantly criticised the football, but I don't believe he now has no respect for the club, most on here are saying similar to Pogba, we are not disrespecting the club, we just have an opinion that the tactical set up is not suitable for the club.

Going forward I would much rather stick with Pogba than Mourinho, if you were to ask Chelsea fans what they would rather be watching this year, Hazard shredding teams or Jose sulking on the sideline that he wasn't able to do Huddersfield on set piece. If we can get a manager in who can get the best out of Pogba, which shouldn't be to hard as despite his reputation he doesn't seem unpopular with anyone he's play for or with ( I'm pretty sure even Fergie said his only problem was with the agent) then we have one of the world best midfielders. If we stick with Mourinho then I would also expect to also lose Martial, and to continue a style of football none of us are enjoying. For all Mourinho's deflecting of the blame, when you're so renowned for a certain brand of football it easy to see why people would draw a correlation between our current style and with his previous work, and draw their own conclusion of who's to blame.

ike

Get Rid of Both.

Pogba's attitude is only proving to me Ferguson was right in bringing Scholes back.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Get Rid of Both.

Pogba's attitude is only proving to me Ferguson was right in bringing Scholes back.
I'm suprised this point doesn't get brought up far more often than does it. Perhaps Fergie was right about Pogba after all?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It's possible he's made his position at the club untenable (deliberately so, most likely). You can't back a player over the manager, it sets the wrong precedent.
Absolutely right. Unless we want to become Chelsea and completely at the mercy of those brittle, flighty players, we need to establish that the manager is the one in control. To back the player over Jose would just make things much, much worse in the long-term.

Borden

Mourinho. We have always backed our manager over any player. Think SAF versus Keane, Stam, Schmeichel, Beckham, v Nistelrooy, all of whom contrbuted much more to the club than the walking ego Pogba. Those of you who think otherwise must be millenial snowflakes who can do one.
I bet you were on the debate team in high school.

And SAF also contributed much, much more to the club than the walking ego Mourinho. I trusted SAF to do the right thing, he earned that. Mourinho hasn't earned shit.

clarkydaz

Stay here and fight for 4th, or move to Spain and strike up a partnership with Vidal, Suarez and Messi.

dirkey

I bet you were on the debate team in high school.

And SAF also contributed much, much more to the club than the walking ego Mourinho. I trusted SAF to do the right thing, he earned that. Mourinho hasn't earned shit.
What has Pogba earned? Flaked on the club once already. Now mouthing off. Get rid.

ZAGREB RED

Maybe jettison both and get United back to playing proper football again without all this drama.

mancan92

That's fine. You can sack Mourinho for failing to win trophies or failing to get top 4 or not playing entertaining football. You can't sack him because Paul Pogba told you to.
Which is the reason people are picking Pogba over Jose. Not because thats what pogba wants but because thats what they believe is best for the club

El Zoido

Not happy with either of them but if we have to choose we’re better off dumping Jose.

Would Chelsea have been better off backing Jose and dumping Hazard? Feels like a repeat of that situation.

Borden

What has Pogba earned? Flaked on the club once already. Now mouthing off. Get rid.
Not much. I'm just saying that the principle of 'no player is bigger than the club/manager' was easy to follow when we had the greatest manager of all time in charge, but it's not as simple as that anymore.

dirkey

Not much. I'm just saying that the principle of 'no player is bigger than the club/manager' was easy to follow when we had the greatest manager of all time in charge, but it's not as simple as that anymore.
I guess it depends what the manager has done. In this case, I'd get rid of both. I've no time for Pogba, complete and utter egotist, and ridiculously inconsistent.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Both to get the boot, IMHO. Damage is done by both parties. They thought about their careers more than they thought about their end product.

Borden

Both to get the boot, IMHO. Damage is done by both parties. They thought about their careers more than they thought about their end product.
Problem is that without Pogba we're a mid-table team. And that's not an exaggeration.

Selling Pogba might be the right/smart thing for us to do, but we're also going to take a big hit from it.

reddevil702

The problem with the club taking Pogba's side is when does it stop? Seemed to get along great with Jose early on and then they never seem to recover after the whatever bust up caused this friction. What happens if he has a problem with who ever the next manager is? He will logically feel empowered by the club and may do this all over. Now, this may be a one off and it could be just Jose's constant criticism and their internal problems were too much, but never the less, it's a gamble and it could set a bad precedent for future managers.

rampo

I will go with the following solution

1. Let Mourinho go and replace with Zidane (solves the current manager problem)
2. Get a DoF asap (solves the Woodward problem)
3. Give Pogba till end of season to see if he is committed under the new manager. If not, sell him. Since his contract is till 2022, we should be still able to good fee

Infra-red

Which is the reason people are picking Pogba over Jose. Not because thats what pogba wants but because thats what they believe is best for the club
They're not. Calling for Mourinho's head, independently of this Pogba shite, is fair enough. What you cannot do is sack Mourinho because Pogba doesn't like him. The club has to back Mourinho in this situation - there can be zero tolerance shown for Pogba's ludicrous behaviour post-Wolves.

Maybe jettison both and get United back to playing proper football again without all this drama.
Ultimately, that is probably the way forward. Bin Pogba in January, Mourinho at the end of the season (assuming the season goes as we all expect it to (ie terribly)).

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
What the feck is the point of the poll when those two are the options given. It would actually have been interesting to see what the preference of the fans would have been but no, as usual the poll options are pointless. Just like constantly adding fecking eboue to every other poll. /rant.

Canagel

They're not. Calling for Mourinho's head, independently of this Pogba shite, is fair enough. What you cannot do is sack Mourinho because Pogba doesn't like him. The club has to back Mourinho in this situation - there can be zero tolerance shown for Pogba's ludicrous behaviour post-Wolves.

Ultimately, that is probably the way forward. Bin Pogba in January, Mourinho at the end of the season (assuming the season goes as we all expect it to (ie terribly)).
Normally that is true but if we're sacking Jose it's also because of the terrible football and the poor results which has nothing to do with Pogba.

reddevil702

This would also give the new manager the ability to get his players right from the start. Pogba's transfer funds plus whatever the board was going to back him with. Brings excitement back to the club and gets rid of all this negativity.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
What the feck is the point of the poll when those two are the options given. It would actually have been interesting to see what the preference of the fans would have been but no, as usual the poll options are pointless. Just like constantly adding fecking eboue to every other poll. /rant.
Ah thanks for reminding me, I knew I’d missed something

CA1

Pogba and his slimey agent clearly want to leave anyway so it's not either/or.

We should get rid of Pogba first 100%

Frank Grimes

Inappropriate Content
Pogba is a slimey piece of sh*t, posting on instagram after a defeat smiling with not a care in the world. No fan of Mourinho but Pogba is cancerous and needs to be got rid of asap.

hn4manunited

Maybe but personally for me its clear pogba wants out because of Jose not the club. If someone like zidane came along he would be transformed as a player and a personality.
So he left the first time because of SAF not the club also?

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Why would you want pogba out, he said himself he enjoys it here, if he said he wanted out, it is just a speculation and that he criticise Mourinho and the style, who of the plyers and fans is enjoying it, I can only thank you for him to do this, the more pressure he puts on mourinho, the more it goes ownhill for him and sooner we replace him, it is clear that mourinho will not finish this season, let's hope it is done by january because I can't look at this shit anymore and seeign pogba leave because of that tool in charge who never even liked united and likes to save his face before club and players. Can't understand why people didn't see it the same, Pogba is our best player and I am sure he would never want to leave at this stage if there was a better manager than Mourinho

Canagel

This actually made me laugh so much.

Pogba enters training in his usual chirpy mood shaking hands with the coaches and extends his hand to Mourinho clearly. Mourinho then says something which stops Pogba dead in his tracks. I wonder what he said at that moment...

In Rainbows

So he left the first time because of SAF not the club also?
Yes. He felt he couldn't trust Fergie to give him minutes when he felt he was in a critical time of his development. Similar to Pereira choosing to go on loan last season instead of staying at United, only Pogba's contract expired.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
I will go with the following solution

1. Let Mourinho go and replace with Zidane (solves the current manager problem)
2. Get a DoF asap (solves the Woodward problem)
3. Give Pogba till end of season to see if he is committed under the new manager. If not, sell him. Since his contract is till 2022, we should be still able to good fee
agreed

Frank Grimes

I can't believe Pogba has so much support, the guy has been acting the maggot since he was dropped after the Spurs game last season(where he didn't try a bit). Remember him dragging Mourinho by the arm when he was being interviewed by the BBC after the Liverpool game. Mourinho smiled that day but was obviously furious, you can't go around acting this way. We've had months of his social media bullsh*t. The whole situation is disgraceful.