Mourinho or Pogba?

If it was an either/or situation, who would you rather United keep?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ban

Wouldn't be surprised if both are gone next season.

United simply aren't competing with Barcelona anymore. Haven't for half a decade now. Sadly we're two levels below them, so you can see why he'd leave.

Pee me off no end seeing him go after not performing to the level he clearly can over a full season.
Hopefully Ed and the board doesn't have so much self pitty.

Revan

Assumptionman
We needed to spend to make us relevant again. If I'm not mistaken since Jose signed we've spent less than City or Chelsea did (considerably less than City). So yeah finishing 2nd isn't a bad effort at all.

I'm not going to even bother trying to defend Mourinho's style of play last season in the second half. But I can argue it was uncharacteristic even by his standards. His peak Chelsea sides, Real side and Inter weren't like that. I think he's still finishing the puzzle.
We didn't spend less than Chelsea, but yes, we spent less than City (not considerably so). And for the money we spent, we have severely underperformed both in the league (6th and even second came at 19 points behind first) and UCL (being trashed from a weak Sevilla). Most importantly, the football has been dogshit.

I don't think that many top clubs would have given to him a third season. He should consider himself very lucky!

Smores

So if the reason Pogba was to leave was the manager and his approach to football?
Nah doesn't hold weight. At least Martial can claim he's not being played in his favoured role.

If Pogba wants out because he was dropped for a couple of games after poor form then feck him. If he does want out it's much more likely he's just looking to upgrade though

Fosu-Mens

We needed to spend to make us relevant again. If I'm not mistaken since Jose signed we've spent less than City or Chelsea did (considerably less than City). So yeah finishing 2nd isn't a bad effort at all.
Ending up at 2nd last season was lucky, based on statisitics: Most shots on goals conceded, fewest shots and chances created in the top 6.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
One of them is an overrated prick who has got to where he is due to fortunate events and because of those around him.

The other is a prick who only cares about himself and how he appears in the paper.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I voted Pogba and I’m not even sure he’s good enough to play for United. But a future where some other managers turns him into the player he has the potential to be is just too tempting. Admittedly this is probably a pipe dream.

Still, though, the alternative is Mourinho staying as our manager for longer than he is as it stands. Surely nobody wants that?

Siorac

Lol people picking pogba over Jose! What’s the guarantee he will not pack his bags and feck off next season?
What's the guarantee Mourinho won't do the same?

There are a lot more managers than there are top class central midfielders around. They are also cheaper and easier to get.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
So if the reason Pogba was to leave was the manager and his approach to football?
I'm sure Pogba knew all about Mourinho before he came back here. It's no secret that he's defensive and pragmatic. Has been for a long, long time. It's Pogbas job to play no matter who the manager is. If he doesn't like Mourinhos style then he was a bit daft to return.

I don't particularly like Jose either, but I don't see a manager getting sacked to appease a player. Maybe if it was Messi or Ronaldo, but no one else.

Siorac

One of them is an overrated prick who has got to where he is due to fortunate events and because of those around him.

The other is a prick who only cares about himself and how he appears in the paper.
Wait, which is which?

Red_toad

Can’t we have a neither or both in the pole?
A manager who stays for 3/4 season or a player who is 100% out for himself and we have to choose?

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
No, I was the one who said that the majority would side with wanting Pogba to stay over Jose, it was obvious to me that most people would agree with me.
Ahh. Sorry. Your name has me prejudiced.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm sure Pogba knew all about Mourinho before he came back here. It's no secret that he's defensive and pragmatic. Has been for a long, long time. It's Pogbas job to play no matter who the manager is. If he doesn't like Mourinhos style then he was a bit daft to return.

I don't particularly like Jose either, but I don't see a manager getting sacked to appease a player. Maybe if it was Messi or Ronaldo, but no one else.
The wages, the platform for his brand and the possibility of becoming the main man at Manchester were hard to refuse, no matter the manager. Sometimes when an opportunity is really good like that, you focus so much on it you don't realize it can be tough. It would have been daft for him to refuse this opportunity, Mourinho or not.

edcunited1878

In this situation, you would choose Pogba over Mourinho. However Pogba's experience the past two years have made him a better player because he has to adapt to a harder, more demanding league. United have been a better team with both Jose and Pogba.

If Pogba leaves and proper reinforcements are addressed throughout the squad because of Pogba's transfer money and/or players swapped for him, then we'd have to consider that.

Because Pogba is far and away the best outfield player at Manchester United and his position is so important to the team, then it's a no brainer. The poll just doesn't do the full situation justice and is an easy stick to beat Mourinho with.

If Pogba comes back and makes a fecking mess out of this situation with Raiola, then I would immediately change my vote. But one thing is for sure, if you ask who has the better interest in the club...Jose or Pogba, I'd side with Jose.

ash_86

This is a pointless thread. We could end up with neither next season

Tiber

Pogba. Though at this point id probably keep the official noodle sponsor over meltdown phase Jose.

We have may neither this time next year

BananaIceman

Definitely neither. Mourinho is too whiny and Pogba is a mercenary who hasn't produced on the field.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The wages, the platform for his brand and the possibility of becoming the main man at Manchester were hard to refuse, no matter the manager. Sometimes when an opportunity is really good like that, you focus so much on it you don't realize it can be tough. It would have been daft for him to refuse this opportunity, Mourinho or not.
Probably showing my age but surely I’m not the only one sickened by the idea that this is actually a thing in modern football?

Or, to put it another way, can we please stop signing footballers to whom this shit matters? Somehow I can’t see the likes of Luka Modric worrying about his cocking brand platform.

BananaIceman

Probably showing my age but surely I’m not the only one sickened by the idea that this is actually a thing in modern football?

Or, to put it another way, can we please stop signing footballers to whom this shit matters? Somehow I can’t see the likes of Luka Modric worrying about his cocking brand platform.
Unfortunately, branding and marketing matters not only to footballers but to clubs as well. Taking a cut of image rights is how clubs recoup transfer fees and offer high wages. Also, having more marketable players (e.g., Pogba with millions of followers on SN) means more PR for the club.

Eddy_JukeZ

You take the good with the bad.

Most of the top tier athletes in the world now care about their brand off the field. It's only normal.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I'm looking forward to Jose leaving just so I can enjoy the meltdown as manager after manager comes here and fails hard.

Something about how the club is run on the football side has been rotten for a very long time. Think about the terrible lack of investment during Ferguson's last five years. Followed by the failure to give Moyes the players he thought he was getting and the clueless buying of mediocre players under LVG.

This situation has been ten years in the making and I predict it will get plenty worse after Jose has gone no matter who comes in as manager.

If I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up and admit it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I like Paul but I'm uneasy about choosing a player over a manager...even if it were Vangle or MoyesRUs.

Jib

A world class player or a poor manager ?
Pogba of course !

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I like Paul but I'm uneasy about choosing a player over a manager...even if it were Vangle or MoyesRUs.
They are both employees, choose the one that in your opinion will be more valuable for the club long term.