g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mourinho Post Match Comments

Theonas

Scout
So it's all down to the manager?

What happens now? We sack another one?
Of course not. We make the best of what we have. I personally never wanted him to begin with but sacking another manager is going to bring more harm than good at this stage. Some of us are just venting out of frustration especially when a lot of what happened today could have been foreseen long ago when we knew he was coming.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just a question...do City have a better squad of players to ours? More talented players as a group? More options?
Silva and de bruyne are quality. Mkhitaryan we can hope has a similar type of impact and is immensely talented like them, but other then that our attack lags behind. Martial has potential but a long way to go, same with rashford. Its really that 3 behind the striker where the biggest difference between the 2 teams is. They use 4 players there, and 2 of them are world class with the other 2 usually pacy out wide. Maybe later this season we'll see a big improvement from ours, but theres no questions that de bruyne and silva both playing in attacking midfield makes a big difference. Its like if Mourinho found a way to put martial, mkhitaryan, mata and pogba all together behind Ibra, while having a dynamic holding mid who can spread the play and is also calm under pressure.

Neilpie

Of course not. We make the best of what we have. I personally never wanted him to begin with but sacking another manager is going to bring more harm than good at this stage. Some of us are just venting out of frustration especially when a lot of what happened today could have been foreseen long ago when we knew he was coming.
Out of interest what are you referring to that could have been foreseen long ago?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Post match 1-6 against City. SAF didn't mention City one bit in his post match interview. He did mention himself as it being the worst result in his history, even as a player. Also name drops Rio and Evra for not defending more and our team lacking common sense when we were already heading into 1-3, 1-4.
You're right - there are ways to be critical, it doesn't need to focus on the positives. The difference here seems pretty clear to me:

“It was our worst ever day,” Ferguson said. “It’s the worst result in my history, ever. Even as a player I don’t think I ever lost 6-1. I can’t believe the scoreline. The first goal was a blow for sure, but it was retrievable at 1-0.

“I’m shattered, I can’t believe it. It was an incredible disappointment, but we will react, no question about that. It’s a perfect result for us to react to because there is a lot of embarrassment in the dressing room — and quite rightly so — and that will make an impact. You have to recover. The history of Manchester United is ‘another day’ and we will recover.”

“The sending off was the killer blow,” Ferguson said. “After that, we kept attacking. I thought with the experience we’ve got – Rio Ferdinand, Patrice Evra – they would have [defended more] but we just kept attacking.

“It’s all right playing the history books [United’s reputation for fighting back] but common sense has to come into it. When we went to 3-1, 4-1 we should have settled for that. We kept attacking when we went 4-1 down and we should have just said: ‘We’ve had our day’. They were attacking three versus two. It was crazy football and it was a bad day.

But we’ll come back. By January, we’ll be OK. We usually get the show on the road in the second half of the season and that will have to be the case. Over the years we have always enjoyed a better goal difference than our rivals but after today, we are 10 goals short.”
vs.
"What I said at half-time I told them in the last three days, instead of 10 minutes, much more," Mourinho explained. "So every time we were preparing the game and every time we were analysing and trying to reduce the unpredictability of the game, we spoke about this situations.

"What I told them at half-time was for some of you it looks like you are trying to do what I told you not to do. And it was this: I told 20 times today never play the first station ball, never, never play because it's where they want to press. It happened 20 times during the game.

"So I think some of the boys, they felt the dimension of the game, they felt the dimension of the game, everything around the game, the derby, the big game, Man United v Man City, the focus, the attention, I felt that some of the guys felt it."

"It has nothing to do with experience or age because you have the kid then in the second-half and the kid looked like he was playing in the Under-18s versus Salford City," Mourinho said.

"So it's about the individual and every individual reacts to the dimension in different ways, so it's difficult to predict.

"It only gets easier when you know the players very, very well. When you work with them one month, two months, three months, four months, you see how they react in certain circumstances, you try to get a better feeling.

"So maybe in the next big game in the Premier League probably I know who can accept well the dimension of the game, which is very important."
It's "we" vs. "I" / "them"

Theonas

Scout
Out of interest what are you referring to that could have been foreseen long ago?
For me at least, it is the fact that he is either not very good or not willing when it comes to work on the offensive side of his teams tactically speaking. This inevitably leads to his teams having to retreat back and sit deep when playing against good teams. Some think that it is simply a matter of formation and deciding to be more attacking, I think that you have to work on that side of your game so that you can do it without losing your shape and solidity. Mourinho has never done that. His teams attacking wise are as good as his individual players. When they play against inferior teams, they can produce thrilling football through sheer individual quality. When he plays against decent teams, they are forced back to defend for their lives. That's what happened today and our only answer, inevitably was to launch long balls and hope for a rebound or a mistake. I personally think that's an embarrassing way of playing if you are big and rich. I admired him at Porto, Chelsea and Inter because he was the underdog and did a brilliant job getting underdog teams to do well. At Real and now with us (so far at least), he has no excuses.

Skills

Snitch
I hope this will mean, we never have to see Daley Blind in a man utd shirt again. Fingers crossed.

Handré1990

I used to think he was a dick for throwing players under the proverbial bus, but today I think he was very right to be honest, we all saw it, and it's good that he respects the supporters enough to be honest. He did, in a way, also admit he started the wrong team. This put together makes me less hostile towards him. Just a shit start to a shit day:(

Natener

You're right - there are ways to be critical, it doesn't need to focus on the positives. The difference here seems pretty clear to me:

vs.

It's "we" vs. "I" / "them"
Leaving aside that you also conveniently left out the "I"s in SAF's interview, all I see is the proper use of pronouns/grammar in both their answers. But if that's what you are going for that then you should check Mourinho's post match conference. He addressed the team as 'we', that should please you.

The United

Leaving aside that you also conveniently left out the "I"s in SAF's interview, all I see is the proper use of pronouns/grammar in both their answers. But if that's what you are going for that then you should check Mourinho's post match conference. He addressed the team as 'we', that should please you.
Well can't blame the poster especially with the recent Mourinho's big fall out with apparently the whole chelsea's dressing room just a year ago.

He is capable of doing that. Don't forget that.

Neilpie

For me at least, it is the fact that he is either not very good or not willing when it comes to work on the offensive side of his teams tactically speaking. This inevitably leads to his teams having to retreat back and sit deep when playing against good teams. Some think that it is simply a matter of formation and deciding to be more attacking, I think that you have to work on that side of your game so that you can do it without losing your shape and solidity. Mourinho has never done that. His teams attacking wise are as good as his individual players. When they play against inferior teams, they can produce thrilling football through sheer individual quality. When he plays against decent teams, they are forced back to defend for their lives. That's what happened today and our only answer, inevitably was to launch long balls and hope for a rebound or a mistake. I personally think that's an embarrassing way of playing if you are big and rich. I admired him at Porto, Chelsea and Inter because he was the underdog and did a brilliant job getting underdog teams to do well. At Real and now with us (so far at least), he has no excuses.
Fair enough, everyone's entitled to their opinion but I don't agree with you.

I think, as usual, there is a massive over reaction to us losing a game of football and it's getting thrown at the manager again.

He may be pragmatic at times but he also knows how to set up a team and when to attack.

I think he started the day not wanting to lose the game which is how he approaches a lot of games against title rivals. He also admitted he got it wrong as he picks the team.

By the way, I think Chelsea and Inter have got a couple of quid between them.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
:lol: it was a ridiculous language analysis. But there is a small valid point, largely though because that Ferguson team was clearly his while Mourinho has only been in charge a couple of months and is still work his way through here,

@The United is right when he says Mourinho is capable of completely falling out with his dressing room. It's hard to shake that off.

Brwned

You're joking, right? The I's in Sir Alex's interview were about emotions and disappointments - personal reactions to a bad result. The I's in Mourinho's are him informing the world about how the team didn't follow his masterplan, something he felt compelled to not just mention but emphasise, and then talked about how some individuals let the team down, and what he's going to do to fix it next time. I don't see how you can read that and not feel that it comes across as "me, me, me", distancing himself from the result in every way beyond simply saying "I picked the wrong players [because the ones I picked didn't do what I told them to do]". Sir Alex doesn't hide from the fact mistakes were made and his displeasure with that but he doesn't separate himself from them and doesn't suggest he's the mastermind to fix it. He's part of the group that will fix it together.

Natener

Well can't blame the poster especially with the recent Mourinho's big fall out with apparently the whole chelsea's dressing room just a year ago.

He is capable of doing that. Don't forget that.
That has nothing to do with how Mourinho's post match interview isn't much different from what SAF said before. However, I think it's disconcerting you are allowing Mourinho's previous fall out to encourage yourself into thinking he might have an agenda against his new team. Especially just after 4 league games, 3 of which we won.

The United

You're joking, right? The I's in Sir Alex's interview were about emotions and disappointments - personal reactions to a bad result. The I's in Mourinho's are him informing the world about how the team didn't follow his masterplan, something he felt compelled to not just mention but emphasise, and then talked about how some individuals let the team down, and what he's going to do to fix it next time. I don't see how you can read that and not feel that it comes across as "me, me, me", distancing himself from the result beyond just saying "I picked the wrong players [because the ones I picked didn't do what I told them to do]". Sir Alex doesn't hide from the fact mistakes were made and his displeasure with that but he doesn't separate himself from them.
He actually did similar when he first met pep in spain and got screwed 5-0.

He was so bitter and his ego couldn't take it that he came out with oh i had this game plans with what to do at what stage but someone , something ruined it so I couldn't do it.

I mean who the hell would be so mad that they came out with their tactics and plan to the press? He so wanted to show the world that he had all the plans and he was not bad.

Too insecure guy, our Jose is, at times.

The United

That has nothing to do with how Mourinho's post match interview isn't much different from what SAF said before. However, I think it's disconcerting you are allowing Mourinho's previous fall out to encourage yourself into thinking he might have an agenda against his new team. Especially just after 4 league games, 3 of which we won.
I said he is capable of doing it when he does not get his way. His agenda is himself. He does not care about anyone.

Some of his old players have said it as much.

Natener

You're joking, right? The I's in Sir Alex's interview were about emotions and disappointments - personal reactions to a bad result. The I's in Mourinho's are him informing the world about how the team didn't follow his masterplan, something he felt compelled to not just mention but emphasise, and then talked about how some individuals let the team down, and what he's going to do to fix it next time. I don't see how you can read that and not feel that it comes across as "me, me, me", distancing himself from the result in every way beyond simply saying "I picked the wrong players [because the ones I picked didn't do what I told them to do]". Sir Alex doesn't hide from the fact mistakes were made and his displeasure with that but he doesn't separate himself from them.
No, I wasn't but I do think you are. You are choosing to inject an agenda into Mourinho's answers. I don't read what SAF said as "me, me, me" and neither do I read Mourinho's as such. He made it very clear in his interview as well that he needed to understand his players more and which of the players are suitable for what kind of game. He addressed his mistake in team selection just as he did addressing the players' mistakes. You chose to read it as him trying to separate himself from the team but I just read it as him pointing out the players' flaws and then his own for this game. In his post match conference, he addressed how "we" performed and "our" bad first half etc. Should I interpret that as Mourinho suddenly deciding to be one with the team again now? Who knows, maybe they had a cuddle in the dressing room and decided to patch things up.

Theonas

Scout
Fair enough, everyone's entitled to their opinion but I don't agree with you.

I think, as usual, there is a massive over reaction to us losing a game of football and it's getting thrown at the manager again.

He may be pragmatic at times but he also knows how to set up a team and when to attack.

I think he started the day not wanting to lose the game which is how he approaches a lot of games against title rivals. He also admitted he got it wrong as he picks the team.

By the way, I think Chelsea and Inter have got a couple of quid between them.
You have a point about people overreacting to results, it's definitely true. I can only speak for myself though and today was not about he result at all. It was as a I clarified earlier about anticipating this kind of approach and it being confirmed on the first go. We might have won today. Bravo might have made one too many mistakes, they could have more wasteful, Zlatan could have produced a piece of magic, a number of things could have happened and the narrative would have been different. I am trying to explain that you are right when it comes to people overreacting to results because results in one off games are not a valid evidence to judge a team by, the approach a team uses however is.

Yup they had a few quid between them but they were still inferior in other areas compared to the competition. Chelsea had the monster that was us to compete with and Inter were nowhere near us or Barcelona financially or status wise at the time.

Natener

I said he is capable of doing it when he does not get his way. His agenda is himself. He does not care about anyone.

Some of his old players have said it as much.
Some of his old players also said he is all about the team and they were very attached to him. But let's disregard that and just recognize only comments that paints him as an egocentric maniac.

Brwned

No, I wasn't but I do think you are. You are choosing to inject an agenda into Mourinho's answers. I don't read what SAF said as "me, me, me" and neither do I read Mourinho's as such. He made it very clear in his interview as well that he needed to understand his players more and which of the players are suitable for what kind of game. He addressed his mistake in team selection just as he did addressing the players' mistakes. You chose to read it as him trying to separate himself from the team but I just read it as him pointing out the players' flaws and then his own for this game. In his post match conference, he addressed how "we" performed and "our" bad first half etc. Should I interpret that as Mourinho suddenly deciding to be one with the team again now? Who knows, maybe they had a cuddle in the dressing room and decided to patch things up.
Do you really think saying he picked the wrong team - after pointing out the team failed to follow his instructions - and saying he needs to learn more about his players is accepting responsibility for the defeat? It's not about the pronouns used it's about the context they're used in.

The United

Some of his old players also said he is all about the team and they were very attached to him. But let's disregard that and just recognize only comments that paints him as an egocentric maniac.
He was probably like that till inter. Then, not so much. You can only look at the recent past with football managers.

He fell out a lot in Madrid, did in Chelsea, now shades and signs of it here again when he lost a game.

Just watch and see. For the sake of us, I hope we don't see that side of his. Which means we will be winning a lot.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Do you really think saying he picked the wrong team - after pointing out the team failed to follow his instructions - and saying he needs to learn more about his players is accepting responsibility for the defeat? It's not about the pronouns used it's about the context they're used in.
He said at the end of the interview that it was his fault, to be fair. I know he said it as in "the players didn't perform and it's my fault for picking them", but that's Jose, that's what he's always been.

I don't think this is debate would even be had if it wasn't for the disastrous third season at Chelsea where he and the players fell out, this is just what Mourinho does, is it the right approach? Maybe, maybe not, but to criticize it because it's not the approach Sir Alex takes is wrong imo.

what a mess

Mentioning that 2 or 3 specific players have disappointed him in public wasn't really clever. Lingaard and Mkhi certainly won't have their confidence boosted by this
For gods sake it was obvious to everyone that those playerers weren't up to it today at least the guy was honest , let's face it they disappointed all of us no point in hiding from it .
Mkytarian will hopefully learn from the experience while Lingard is just not good enough at this level

ReDDHDevilS

I didn't listen to Jose's post match comments. Now after watching it, I thought it wasn't really that bad. He seemed to be more calm, composed than the grumpy, bitter one I's expecting.

Handré1990

For gods sake it was obvious to everyone that those playerers weren't up to it today at least the guy was honest , let's face it they disappointed all of us no point in hiding from it .
Mkytarian will hopefully learn from the experience while Lingard is just not good enough at this level
I agree with all of this except the bolded part. He's showed he can hack it, nothing came off for him today, and I think he's had more good than bad games since establishing himself in the first team squad. Today was just a very bad performance, he couldn't cope with the pressure City put him under, while he's usually very assertive with his runs with the ball through tight areas.

He chose the wrong team and tactics today, but what seems to be overlooked by the lingvists here is that it's not the managers fault that the players can't get even the most basic aspects of the game right.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Thought it was nice to see a manager admit he doesn't know the players well enough.

As fans we do because we've watched them week in week out for years. I've made this point before when certain posters use the manager knows best argument.
Yeah like when Moyes made a similar comment about Kagawa. That went down well.

Natener

The context they were used in was that he was giving a post match analysis. He pointed out the players' mistakes in not carrying out the gameplan, followed by highlighting some players got affected by the occasion. Then he pointed out he didn't understand his players well enough yet and it would take time and more games for that. I just read it as such without trying to interpret his answers as an egomaniac's attack on his own players, that's usually what sports tabloids do. If he has a problem with the team and the team falls out with him, I will see with my own eyes from the team's performances. But what I have seen so far is a team very much together and showing a lot of improvement from previous season. Today I saw a team that although performed poorly, played their hearts out and pushed themselves to the limit. I saw how knackered they were at the final whistle and sorry, I don't see a team playing for a selfish boss.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
No it doesnt. It means the team mate closest to you.
This is definitely a criticism of Mkhitaryan. So many times we lost the ball because this was exactly what he kept doing.

Natener

He was probably like that till inter. Then, not so much. You can only look at the recent past with football managers.

He fell out a lot in Madrid, did in Chelsea, now shades and signs of it here again when he lost a game.

Just watch and see. For the sake of us, I hope we don't see that side of his. Which means we will be winning a lot.
I will agree with this. Let's watch and see for ourselves how the team goes on to perform through the season and possibly years beyond instead of trying to read into more than we should right after an emotional derby defeat.

ReDDHDevilS

I think he was referring to Blind - he'll probably be dropped for Smalling now
It's Bailly.

"I told 20 times to Bailly, never play a first station ball, never because this is where they want to press. Never do that. He did 20 times during the game" (around 8.40 min in the video I posted above)

Dominos

Just a question...do City have a better squad of players to ours? More talented players as a group? More options?
I think they have a more reliable top class attackers at this moment in Aguero, De Bruyne and Silva. Other than that I don't think there's a lot of difference.

The United

It's Bailly.

"I told 20 times to Bailly, never play a first station ball, never because this is where they want to press. Never do that. He did 20 times during the game" (around 8.40 min in the video I posted above)
Did he actually say it? I am sry that i am lazy to watch the video.

Would be funny if he drops bailly for smalling next game. Would be harsh of course.

NoPace

No. He wanted the ball to go wide.

1st station balls are from the CB to the CM.

We were supposed to be sending the ball CB to RB or LB, and then working the triangles with the midfield.
Yeah, if you watch Atletico, they play tight triangles out wide but inside, the ball basically never goes from CB to CM.

Red1968

I hope this will mean, we never have to see Daley Blind in a man utd shirt again. Fingers crossed.
I really wanted Blind to be monster defender when he came here. Loved him back at the WC 2014, but he has continuously disappointed me with his mediocre to gaffe filled play. Today he was not first to the ball to DeBruyne and we got burned for it. On the 2nd goal he played the city player onside as he casually strolled back (instead of running for the offside trap). This has happened way too many times. He is an f'ing liability!

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
It's Bailly.

Tbf, he called them both out. I expect to see Blind out of the side first because he just doesn't seem like what Jose wants in a CB. Pepe, Ramos, Terry, Carvalho, Lucio, etc. He''s never had a player like Blind in there, while Smalling seems right up his alley. I do think Blind has performed pretty well up till now, but it just seems like this is what Jose will do.

The United

Tbf, he called them both out. I expect to see Blind out of the side first because he just doesn't seem like what Jose wants in a CB. Pepe, Ramos, Terry, Carvalho, Lucio, etc. He''s never had a player like Blind in there, while Smalling seems right up his alley. I do think Blind has performed pretty well up till now, but it just seems like this is what Jose will do.
OH god pretending to know what jose likes.

Did you know that jose would play like LVG in last match by using more or less the same players in the same positions while we needed a goal or two?

Mata, blind, lingard, rooney, valencia, Fellaini and so on.

prarek

Personally not a big fan of dragging out players in public but if it works it works.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
OH god pretending to know what jose likes.

Did you know that jose would play like LVG in last match by using more or less the same players in the same positions while we needed a goal or two?

Mata, blind, lingard, rooney, valencia, Fellaini and so on.
Just commenting on how he's set his teams up in the past, no need for the cuntishness, mate. :)