Mourinho Presser (Spurs Home)

Phil

The press have been an absolute joke with us over the past month or so, I can understand his contempt.

Doesn't make up for some of the crap we produce on the pitch though eh.

Smores

Those who complain about Jose's attitude the most seem to be the ones with the worst bitter sour attitude on here. Constantly moping from thread to thread.

Who gives a shit about our manager feeding the gutter press? They're there to serve as a tool for us to get stories/quotes out, thats it. If we have nothing to say we shouldn't even have to turn up.

MadMike

And it's not helped by Woody using the press to protect himself at Mourinho's expense.
They've both done it towards each other to be fair. Mourinho did it too when he said he made plans with certain acquisitions in mind and since those didn't materialise we have to be prepared for a difficult season.

If anything Mourinho's use has been more effective. Despite Ed's alleged "briefing" the majority of pundits, especially the ex-Man Utd players, seem to be converging on the idea that this team did indeed need reinforcements. And that by Ed denying them or claiming "no value in the market" he's hamstrung the season and hung Mourinho out to dry. Hence the Ed thread has 50-odd pages which it hasn't had since that summer of Moyes.

I don't particularly like either of them airing that stuff in public, mind you.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It's always troubled me that Jose seems more interested in proving critics wrong than in United.
I think there's some truth in this.

It's a shame, when he arrived we were both in a similar situation. Both Jose and United wanting to prove critics wrong by reasserting themselves at the top. The achievement of either would have to go hand-on-hand with the other.

I think this is why Jose is clearly upset by the lack of backing from the board this window. Whether he warranted more funds or not, the board's stance effectively suggested that the club and Jose were not so much on the same side as had been the case when he arrived.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we may be making our way to the end of our relationship with Jose.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It's always troubled me that Jose seems more interested in proving critics wrong than in United.
That's part of his self preservation. It's how he's always been. Or if not always, then certainly these last few years. It's him, and then everyone else.

GM K

Fergie had plenty of credit in the bank. Mourinho basically has none.
Mourinho has none? You must be joking. First of all, he is Manchester United's current manager. That's something. Secondly, he is one of the greatest managers of all time and a stuttering time at United is not going to change that.

Speedicut75

Good for Jose. Sanctimonious bunch of shit-stirring hacks will just have to make some more bollox up. Not a massive departure from what they usual do anyway.

GM K

I don't agree in any respect with this. Both the sentiment that Mourinho has no credit, nor that the same type of behaviour can be classified as childish or not merely on the notion of "amount of credit in the bank". I didn't see it as childish when Fergie did it, and I don't see it as childish now.

I revert back to what I said. You clearly dislike Mourinho, which is your prerogative of course, but I think it's clouding your judgement a bit atm. I'm not pleased with Mourinho either and I've been critical of him in the past. Primarily for the football the team plays but also his media management which often consists of throwing players under the bus or putting pressure on them to play injured or whatnot. I just don't see this particular behaviour deserving of criticism in any way. He said/did nothing out of order today.
I like posts like this. Fair and balanced.

Many people don't like Jose's football which is fair enough but I think they over stretch that and allow it to cloud their judgements in almost everything related to him. The guy can't do anything right with them. I find that odd coming from United fans.

Member 5225

Yeah stupid press it’s not like our club is run by a clown or something, or our star player comes out with crazy comments and plays ‘ask him’ ‘no ask him’ with his manager. Or our team is clearly misfiring, or our manager is constantly defeatist and annoyed. Stupid press...

Ace of Spades

The best way to shut their trap is by winning the game and preferably by also playing good football. Improve on the pitch and the media will have nothing to write about. Being contemptuous, while they deserve it, won't solve anything. It will just give them more to write about.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Those who complain about Jose's attitude the most seem to be the ones with the worst bitter sour attitude on here. Constantly moping from thread to thread.

Who gives a shit about our manager feeding the gutter press? They're there to serve as a tool for us to get stories/quotes out, thats it. If we have nothing to say we shouldn't even have to turn up.
The problem really isnt with Jose its with the idiot element in our support that feed and feed off the press. Whenever Jose leaves and the next guy comes in the process will start again.

AlwaysRed66

Yeah stupid press it’s not like our club is run by a clown or something, or our star player comes out with crazy comments and plays ‘ask him’ ‘no ask him’ with his manager. Or our team is clearly misfiring, or our manager is constantly defeatist and annoyed. Stupid press...
I was starting to think the lunatics had left the asylum & come on the thread until I read your post, which I totally agree with. How can any fan think it is great our manager is acting like an over aged child who has his sweets taken of him, & bringing our great club into disrepute. What a great way to promote the club. Woodward & the owners must be delighted. Mourinho looks like a guy at the end of the road, & won't be around much longer that is for sure.

RedDevil@84

I was starting to think the lunatics had left the asylum & come on the thread until I read your post, which I totally agree with. How can any fan think it is great our manager is acting like an over aged child who has his sweets taken of him, & bringing our great club into disrepute. What a great way to promote the club. Woodward & the owners must be delighted. Mourinho looks like a guy at the end of the road, & won't be around much longer that is for sure.
So he should have shown much more maturity and said Woodward and he are at war and say Pogba should shut up and not talk trash to press, else risk his place in the team.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
For what it's worth

V
He showed no enthusiasm whatsoever in that interview. It looks to me like he is simply going through the motions waiting for the inevitable to take place.

If we lose against Spurs on Monday night, Jose's tenure could be at an end.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I can understand some of his irritation, because we have had the rent a quote ex-players spouting off all week, most of whom will have been asked for their opinions by the media. The problem I do see now for him is that United now have to produce a top class performance against Spurs and a positive result. Then he can come back at them. If we lose then it will just get worse and worse for him. He is reacting like a cornered animal, which might work if you could be confidant that the players are on his side. It could make them go out and fight, but we have been down this road so many times in recent times with two other managers.

Red_toad

He showed no enthusiasm whatsoever in that interview. It looks to me like he is simply going through the motions waiting for the inevitable to take place.

If we lose against Spurs on Monday night, Jose's tenure could be at an end.
absolutely not a chance in hell he's getting sacked next week! Just won't happen.

Smores

The problem really isnt with Jose its with the idiot element in our support that feed and feed off the press. Whenever Jose leaves and the next guy comes in the process will start again.
Yes and no, if we go for the hipster choice it'll be like it was with LvG where we had people suddenly being great footballing philosopers because they read a fecking book and the manager will do no wrong :boring:

If its someone like Zidane who a portion don't want then yeah they'll bitch and moan like with Jose.

I don't think it's a radical idea that managers should receive general backing and the benefit of doubt until they've really shown themselves up and neither adulation until they've earned it. That doesn't qualify as the dramatic entertainment people want though

manunited1919

Too bad Gary Neville is not part of those journalists that were late to the press conference. I find Neville to be one of the leaders in creating rumours about tension in the club. It is disgraceful.

RedDevil@84

It is hilarious to say that a manager is not allowed to be grumpy with the press, just because the performance on the pitch by the team isn't good enough.
Especially when the press spout 24x7 nonsense and lie and change opinions at the drop of the hat, hiding behind the so called "sources"

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
absolutely not a chance in hell he's getting sacked next week! Just won't happen.
The majority of the fanbase is in favour of seeing him gone right now, another showing similar to the Brighton debacle certainly will not do him any favours. I don't know if it will be enough to see him sacked (most like not in all honesty) but it will be a huge step closer.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
They've both done it towards each other to be fair. Mourinho did it too when he said he made plans with certain acquisitions in mind and since those didn't materialise we have to be prepared for a difficult season.

If anything Mourinho's use has been more effective. Despite Ed's alleged "briefing" the majority of pundits, especially the ex-Man Utd players, seem to be converging on the idea that this team did indeed need reinforcements. And that by Ed denying them or claiming "no value in the market" he's hamstrung the season and hung Mourinho out to dry. Hence the Ed thread has 50-odd pages which it hasn't had since that summer of Moyes.

Obviously it would be best if nobody ever used the press but at the end of the day, I have less of a problem with Jose getting his transfer targets out there than I do with Woody using them to protect himself and paint the picture that he is blameless.

Mourinho's got plenty of faults but I see him ultimately interested in United winning, even if he wants it done his way. I see Ed ultimately interested in protecting United's marketability and his own image. And only one of them is facing the press weekly.

Irrational.

Good. Waiting for the headline "EXCLUSIVE: Jose in MASSIVE changing room bust up with Pogba, Matic, Martial, Lukaku, DDG and Woodward, putting Manchester United in TURMOIL whilst Kop HERO Klopp saves a kitten stuck on a tree, James Milner signs 10 year contract extension in response and GENIUS founder of football Pep adopts orphaned albino ostrich.*

*Read more on Page 6"

The wankers deserve to be treated with contempt.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Mainly because it’s a hell of a lot more plausible.

GloryHunter07

Yeah, what a hero. Mourinho messes with press core! Just what I was hoping for from a Manchester United manager. No one expects anything from the football media, they’ll dig wherever they can for a story. But the representative of this great institution? Yeah, sorry, I don’t see much point celebrating the man acting like a petulant child. Which is basically par for the course at this point.

How far things have fallen that these sorts of childish antics are a cause for celebration.
Agree with this, what is he hoping to achieve?

At the end of the day its the fans that lose out.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
One of Fergies strength in running this club was always keeping the media in check. This is Mourinhos way. They deserve nothing more. Of course we are not performing and relationships are not as rosey within the club but the media have no right to post consistent bullshit trying to stir the pot.

It’s us vs them. It always has been.

ericking

I don't disagree with any criticism of the press.

But......... They are what they are. They have been that way for at least 20 years. Jose himself is no stranger to both the highs and lows that can come through interaction with them.

For reasons completely beyond Jose's control Utd were going to have a difficult season this year, compared to the last.

Woodward, like it or not, holds the high ground in terms of influence within the club.

So given all of the above, that press conference was utterly disgraceful on his part. Benitez, Pochettino, even Klopp in his first year or two, face the exact same hurdles. There is a skill to maneuvering that disadvantageous position into one where you are the hero in a tragedy and getting the fans behind you.

Absolutely no good can come that conference. For anyone affiliated with Utd. If something is really on his mind- just don't do the press conference, make up an excuse and send someone else out.

Poor.

haram

But......... They are what they are. They have been that way for at least 20 years. Jose himself is no stranger to both the highs and lows that can come through interaction with them.

For reasons completely beyond Jose's control Utd were going to have a difficult season this year, compared to the last.

Woodward, like it or not, holds the high ground in terms of influence within the club.

So given all of the above, that press conference was utterly disgraceful on his part. Benitez, Pochettino, even Klopp in his first year or two, face the exact same hurdles. There is a skill to maneuvering that disadvantageous position into one where you are the hero in a tragedy and getting the fans behind you.

Absolutely no good can come that conference. For anyone affiliated with Utd. If something is really on his mind- just don't do the press conference, make up an excuse and send someone else out.

Poor.
Hilarious. He answered their shit questions and left. They dont need him there to make up stories.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I don't agree in any respect with this. Both the sentiment that Mourinho has no credit, nor that the same type of behaviour can be classified as childish or not merely on the notion of "amount of credit in the bank". I didn't see it as childish when Fergie did it, and I don't see it as childish now.

I revert back to what I said. You clearly dislike Mourinho, which is your prerogative of course, but I think it's clouding your judgement a bit atm. I'm not pleased with Mourinho either and I've been critical of him in the past. Primarily for the football the team plays but also his media management which often consists of throwing players under the bus or putting pressure on them to play injured or whatnot. I just don't see this particular behaviour deserving of criticism in any way. He said/did nothing out of order today.
Good for you.

I didn't go out of my way to criticise his behaviour. What I did was respond to a post celebrating his behaviour. I merely said it was nothing to be celebrated. I didn't celebrate when Fergie did it, and I sure as shit won't when Mourinho does; because, with me at least, he has no credit in the bank. I will reiterate that. He has been an absolutely awful manager for this club. Again, this is just my opinion. I guess other people think it's cool. That's on them. Doesn't give me any joy to see him stick it to the media. It'll just deepen the problem, and further increase bad press and speculation. Almost all of Mourinho's problems are self inflicted.

And yes, you are right, I cannot stand the man; and I can't wait for him to leave.

WensleyMU

Absolutely spot on. This idiot element has always existed though, only briefly during Fergies reign did they hide in the shadows.

The majority of the fanbase is in favour of seeing him gone right now, another showing similar to the Brighton debacle certainly will not do him any favours. I don't know if it will be enough to see him sacked (most like not in all honesty) but it will be a huge step closer.
Majority? Based on what?

GM K

Are you sure about this? Or do you mean the caf fan base?

el3mel

Poor.
I'm pretty sure he would have loved to but I don't think any manager can.

Pep had several crap interviews in his first year here. That's how you deal with the English media. Did you forget this interview ?