Mourinho's Brighton Press Conference | 14:00 BST

RedTiger

Half mast
I think it is abundantly clear from what has happened at the press conference that it is MOURINHO and not Pogba that is on the back foot. And that is the biggest thing to come out of it. There is clear evidence of this in the press conference.

"The truth is that we are together for two years and a couple of weeks," he told the journalists with a smile on his face.

Now he is not talking about Pogba's contract which expires in just under three years. This is Mourinho's contract.

In other words, he knows he is under pressure, and is pointing out that he has two more years under contract. Only managers under pressure point out that they have so many years under contract.

And at no point did he say that Pogba was playing for HIM. It was "for the fans and for the team". Mourinho said: "It's exactly what I want."

He added: "I couldn't be happier than what I am."

Now I take it that someone has had a word in his ear. He doesn't want to happen at United, what happened at Chelsea.

So Pogba is in charge. The way I see it, the club would rather lose Mourinho than Pogba. And JoMo knows it.

Having said that, I hope that's the end of it. I doubt it. But i hope that we just knuckle down, JoMo does is job, stop looking for fights, cheers the eff up, and maybe, just maybe we will have a good season.
I think the 2 years and 2 weeks refers to how long they've both been at the club as opposed to how long is left on the contract.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I think it is abundantly clear from what has happened at the press conference that it is MOURINHO and not Pogba that is on the back foot. And that is the biggest thing to come out of it. There is clear evidence of this in the press conference.

"The truth is that we are together for two years and a couple of weeks," he told the journalists with a smile on his face.

Now he is not talking about Pogba's contract which expires in just under three years. This is Mourinho's contract.

In other words, he knows he is under pressure, and is pointing out that he has two more years under contract. Only managers under pressure point out that they have so many years under contract.

And at no point did he say that Pogba was playing for HIM. It was "for the fans and for the team". Mourinho said: "It's exactly what I want."

Now I take it that someone has had a word in his ear. He doesn't want to happen at United, what happened at Chelsea.

So Pogba is in charge. The way I see it, the club would rather lose Mourinho than Pogba. And JoMo knows it.

Having said that, I hope that's the end of it. I doubt it. But i hope that we just knuckle down, JoMo does is job, stop looking for fights, cheers the eff up, and maybe, just maybe we will have a good season.

:rolleyes:
Alright Sherlock, calm down

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal

I think it is abundantly clear from what has happened in this post that it is @Ranchero and not the rest of the caf that is on the front foot of the hate. And that is the biggest thing to come out of it. There is clear evidence of this in the forum.

el3mel

I have to say you are great in these conspiracy theories.

MuFc_1992

If you think that every football club consists of players and staff holding hands and singing about how well they all get on you need to wake up. There will be little isms and schisms between players and staff just like at your workplace. That's normal everyday shite.

The stuff coming out in the papers was pure fabricated horse shit tho. Just let it go...
I'm more inclined to believe the Papers than Mourinho in this case because what Mourhinho said today was exactly what I'd expect a manager to say when he's had a falling out with a player who is considered more important by the club than himself and rightly so. I don't have any issues with what Mourhino said but I still believe that what papers said sounded realistic and today's comments does nothing to disprove that. I am just puzzled why everyone is acting like the whole thing was made up because I can't see that after looking at the quotes.

cyberman

I'm more inclined to believe the Papers than Mourinho in this case because what Mourhinho said today was exactly what I'd expect a manager to say when he's had a falling out with a player who is considered more important by the club than himself and rightly so. I don't have any issues with what Mourhino said but I still believe that what papers said sounded realistic and today's comments does nothing to disprove that. I am just puzzled why everyone is acting like the whole thing was made up because I can't see that after looking at the quotes.
Some fans just love drama.
This is like pre season for them, summer nonsense is where the action is
Its like you want to believe it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Even if it wasn't made up. Jose has givena timely reminder about who is the boss.

Borden

A lot more conciliatory and positive comments from Mourinho lately. Wouldn’t be surprised if someone has had a word with him after all the negativity during pre-season.

El-Manos

Are you the author of The Da Vinci Code?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
A lot more conciliatory and positive comments from Mourinho lately. Wouldn’t be surprised if someone has had a word with him after all the negativity during pre-season.
He was looking to gain something from the negativity in the summer. He has nothing to gain now. He knows it’s best to move on. Woodward and Pogba haven’t helped.

Ban

Tell me please, based on what all the things from the media sound realistic? You'd believe the media which skew and change someone's words to sound worse? It seems like you're disappointed there nothing there. Instead of being happy we can all concentrate on football finally.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

I really don't get posts like this. There is a hell of a lot of speculation about Pogba being in charge and Jose is on the back foot. Fergie has done exactly the same thing with the media before on Rooney. Pep does his famous, don't care if you don't like me but do it for the club and fans and lauded as a tactical genius.

Give the guy a break jeez

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Not surprising, I believe what Jose said. Only Martial broke the rule, there's no way Pogba was getting fined. This club is really nice to players. I mean We offered Zlatan free medical facilities and services to get him fit even though We weren't sure if He was still gonna be our player. We also invited Valdes to train with us when He was without club (granted He ended up joining us later). And that's only two examples, there are plenty more.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't even know why he has put in a photo of Woodward and Jose in between that post.
Makes it look a bit like an article. He’s got quotes and all sorts

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I really don't get posts like this. There is a hell of a lot of speculation about Pogba being in charge and Jose is on the back foot. Fergie has done exactly the same thing with the media before on Rooney. Pep does his famous, don't care if you don't like me but do it for the club and fans and lauded as a tactical genius.

Give the guy a break jeez
Agreed. Its amazing what people see when they want to.

When Sir Alex was in his press conference at the start of 2010 talking about cows in other fields was it he or Rooney who had the power? Using the tools at his disposal to manage a situation is part of the job description for a Man Utd manager.

People should just be happy that Jose's putting success first, as Sir Alex did, and not trying to score cheap points. All the people who have been blabbing about 'third season syndrome' all week must be so sad not to see Mou managing the situation rather than having a meltdown.

The Irish Connection

Good to hear the positive take from Mourinho. I'm just hoping now, nothing else weird comes out on pogbas Twitter or from the agent.

On a side note, just watched a bit of the Brighton game at old Trafford from last season, and if we can get the first 3 or 4 passes on the money after winning it back in defence, we will be a brilliant counter attacking side. A good right winger would've helped with that but it is what it is, hopefully lingard and Sanchez can do well there in that sense.
You can see Mourinho is trying to get us playing like his counter attacking sides from the past.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Hey look! it's a younger version of me trying to reach the word limit of my essay homework.

Ban

Agreed. Its amazing what people see when they want to.

When Sir Alex was in his press conference at the start of 2010 talking about cows in other fields was it he or Rooney who had the power? Using the tools at his disposal to manage a situation is part of the job description for a Man Utd manager.

People should just be happy that Jose's putting success first, as Sir Alex did, and not trying to score cheap points. All the people who have been blabbing about 'third season syndrome' all week must be so sad not to see Mou managing the situation rather than having a meltdown.
Exactly. The so dearly want to see a meltdown they're disappointed today but still try to find something in his quotes in order to portray it as some defeat of his.

MuFc_1992

Tell me please, based on what all the things from the media sound realistic? You'd believe the media which skew and change someone's words to sound worse? It seems like you're disappointed there nothing there. Instead of being happy we can all concentrate on football finally.
I will accept that but I don't believe that Custis' entire article was plucked out of thin air. I'm not going to comment any further on this post because I've run our of my posts for the day and I'm unlikely to get more likes on this thread to get more posts :). However, my analysis of the situation is that Mourhino overplayed his hand with Pogba last season and during the world cup which backfired when club decided to side with Pogba in this feud. Now, Mou is just trying to make the best of the bad situation get everything fixed whereas Pogba has just gained a massive underhand over the manager who will now have to accommodate his desires to play more offensively instead of putting defensive shackles on him.

Gandalf

I thought he handled that as well as we could have hoped. Throughout pre-season when he was mopey and irritable we kept saying that he would need to get over it and bring some positivity and togetherness when the real games started. I think he has done exactly that, complimenting players, quashing talk of arguments and stating they had a great week of practice and are going to Brighton to get a win.

I don't know about anyone else but that is exactly what I want to hear from the boss at this time of the season and I am pretty certain the players will feel the same way.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Excellent press conference. Honestly, guesswork of course, but I suspect they have had their polite differences, and Pogba has needed a boot up the arse. It'd be great if that's what has happened and they've had a breakthrough. I'm excited for the first time coming into this season, that we may see more from Pogba.

Ban

I will accept that but I don't believe that Custis' entire article was plucked out of thin air. I'm not going to comment any further on this post because I've run our of my posts for the day and I'm unlikely to get more likes on this thread to get more posts :). However, my analysis of the situation is that Mourhino overplayed his hand with Pogba last season and during the world cup which backfired when club decided to side with Pogba in this feud. Now, Mou is just trying to make the best of the bad situation get everything fixed whereas Pogba has just gained a massive underhand over the manager who will now have to accommodate his desires to play more offensively instead of putting defensive shackles on him.
You read all that from the story? Massive respect mate.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
So, Is there something between Pogba and Mourhino or is it all made up? I believe the truth lies somewhere in between but everyone here is acting like it was all made up by the press.
The choice is to believe Mourinho or the Sun. I'm not the type to speculate either way.

SSSSnake

I was expecting the worst but I think Jose has delivered on the Pogba subject. Glad he set the story straight regarding the captain situation so we're not all left wondering why's he's dropped Pogba.

Hopefully that's put to bed now! Bring on some positivity and a win against Brighton. Lukaku is back in my fantasy team and I hope he bangs in a hat trick!