Mourinho's comments on Scholes

DreamIsh

Supports
Liverpool
I mean, he’s not wrong that Scholes isn’t a great pundit. But kinda crossing the line to call him out like that. Especially considering his status to the club.

He’s always been a ruthless manager though, and its part of the package you get with having him as manager.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What do you expect him to say? We were trash those games and said it, even on this forum the team got thrashed. He wouldn't be doing his job if lied and said we played great after those performances.
We weren’t trash in those games. We were trash in that one, specific game. The performances before that were fine, in a period where almost all the big teams dropped points in matches they should have won. A team should be allowed a poor game like that without being comprehensively written off. A lesson that needs to be learned by many on here, as well as Scholes.

roseguy64

What, Scholes didn't say that. Fair enough he doesn't really articulate himself very well. He just asked whether he was as fit as he was at Juve. Juve under Conte and Allegri were much more of a team that covered more ground. Nothing he said in that video is wrong.
Yes he did. He even asked if Pogba was training properly. He's questioning Pogba's commitment and abilities.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I mean, he’s not wrong that Scholes isn’t a great pundit. But kinda crossing the line to call him out like that. Especially considering his status to the club.

He’s always been a ruthless manager though, and its part of the package you get with having him as manager.
Not wrong at all. Whats he supposed to do sit there and let past players undermine him and his players? You lot need to get over it already,

Manny

Grammar Police
My light bulb blew earlier today and I had to go to the shop to buy another one because we'd run out. I was livid to be honest and from then on the day was a right off.
That sounds like a good day. Try having a power cut for the last 6 hours...

NinjaFletch

We weren’t trash in those games. We were trash in that one, specific game. The performances before that were fine, in a period where almost all the big teams dropped points in matches they should have won. A team should be allowed a poor game like that without being comprehensively written off. A lesson that needs to be learned by many on here, as well as Scholes.
Aye, by all accounts there's been pretty garbage football played around the country over the last 2 to 3 games.

The festive period might be great in terms of the quantity of football on, but it's rarely great in terms of the quality.

Bojan11

Am tired of Scholes’ emotional rants and frankly struggle to respect him after he made it his mission to say nothing when he was a player.

I do think that punditry isn’t for him and they seem to take advantage and wheel him out whenever the team is struggling so maybe he should cotton on.
The issue also is that pillock Jake Humphrey always tries to goad Scholes into saying something controversial and Scholes always falls into the trap.

Where as even Gerrard doesn’t go as far as singling out Liverpool players when they don’t play well. But he does have a job at the club and Scholes doesn’t.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
You expect Scholes to interrupt him? And why didn't Mourinho go after Keown?
Are you serious? He was literally asked by a journo what he thought of Paul Scholes' recent criticisism on Pogba. That's when he responded (as you can see in the full video of the post match press conference).

And no, I don't think Scholes should've interrupted Keown, though that's got nothing to do with this. I also think Jesse Lingard's celebration makes it very clear how our team feels about pundits taking cheap shots after a bad result.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Are you serious? He was literally asked by a journo what he thought of Paul Scholes' recent criticisism on Pogba. That's when he responded. And no, I don't think Scholes should've interrupted Keown, though that's got nothing to do with this. I also think Jese Lingard's celebration makes it very clear how our team feels about pundits taking cheap shots after a bad result.
Than why were you criticizing Scholes for stuff Keown said?

Paul_Scholes18

Having watched everything now I just don't see anything in this. Maybe media just trying to big up something that is no problem. Mourinho just said things in a very calm way too.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yes he did. He even asked if Pogba was training properly. He's questioning Pogba's commitment and abilities.
He said he's unsure about if Pogba was training properly due to watching him at Juve where he covered more ground - which he did. Our players under Jose cover the least ground out the top 6 iicr. Nothing to do with questioning his attitude.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Aye, by all accounts there's been pretty garbage football played around the country over the last 2 to 3 games.

The festive period might be great in terms of the quantity of football on, but it's rarely great in terms of the quality.
A few good teams looked leggy but we, more than most, just didn’t catch a break results-wise over the last week. Didn’t get a single point we didn’t deserve and probably did enough to get at least a couple more, on balance of play. Throw in some key injuries and at least one terrible refereeing decision too. We’re due some luck soon, surely.

FujiVice

If you're going to take a shot at anyone for being jealous about money, Scholes is the last person you'd pick. He was hardly in an era where he was on 30 quid a week, and secondly Scholes wasnt someone who was going to hire an agent to whore him for every last penny someone had to spend. Jose's comments are stunningly petty.

Paul_Scholes18

If you're going to take a shot at anyone for being jealous about money, Scholes is the last person you'd pick. He was hardly in an era where he was on 30 quid a week, and secondly Scholes wasnt someone who was going to hire an agent to whore him for every last penny someone had to spend. Jose's comments are stunningly petty.
Listen again and it sound like he just mention that just cause a player cost more today you can't expect them to perform better than in the past I think.

Paxi

Listen again and it sound like he just mention that just cause a player cost more today you can't expect them to perform better than in the past I think.
He sounds like a fecking muppet going about Scholes becoming a manager. Obviously, it's a different ball game being a manager - doesn't mean Scholes can't observe and give an opinion, given a lot of United fans actually want to hear what he has to say. Hence him being employed as a pundit.

RonW

I see how a lot of people are justifying Mourinho's comments about Paul Scholes but they are simply wrong. Pogba's criticism has been completely justified, since the last 3 games(not the game vs Everton) he hasn't played well, he is a really good technical player and a beast when he has the ball but he simply doesn't track back well enough and leaves it to Matic and it creates pressure on our defense, if anyone doubts it, see the last few games when the opposition had the ball and Pogba didn't bother to track back and defend against most of their attacks. He looked really lethargic without the ball, and the criticism by Scholes was justified based on the last few games. That's NOT to say that Pogba isn't our best technical player and he makes us tick when we have the ball, because he does all that. Just when we are playing with two players(Pogba and Matic) centrally it does gives the opposition lots of chances if one of them doesn't bother to do their defensive duties most of the times. That's why I do think Pogba is better suited in a Central Midfield of 3, because it lets him do what he likes to do(play with the ball) instead of playing without the ball.

Mou's comments are extremely degrading because I do not think Scholes is jealous that Pogba earns more money than him. If that were the case, Scholes could have moved to a club which paid him more and earned himself more money. In the present business of football, every football player looks for money and fame than just playing for a team(which is nothing wrong because playing football is their job and any person would go do a job that earns them more money). The likes of Scholes, Giggs, Neville are the the dying breed of players that never wanted the fame or money, and stuck with just one club and never put the club to ransom(Rooney?). Scholes is a legend at Manchester United, bigger than what Mourinho will ever be at our club and being himself and brutally honest, he isn't going to shy away from criticizing our players when they played bad and poorly. If Scholes wanted to be a corporate sellout(especially most of the Liverpool pundits)and just go on TV and just lie about the performances of a player then he wouldn't do commentary at all. The guy is just honest and sincere. Mourinho has the right to defend his players and protect them as much as he wants but his comments about Scholes are extremely disgraceful and below the belt attack.

stevoc

If Mourinho feels the need to defend one of his players from what he sees as unnecessary criticism then i see no problem with that. The fact it's Scholes is irrelevant, if he made similar remarks about a United player if Ferguson was still the manager he'd probably get both barrels from him as well.

It also reflects poorly on Scholes that he got special treatment and never did his fair share of interviews or press conferences when he was still a player because he was 'shy'. But now that he's retired and getting paid to spout shit you can't get him off the TV.

gavdim2002

If Mourinho feels the need to defend one of his players from what he sees as unnecessary criticism then i see no problem with that. The fact it's Scholes is irrelevant, if he made similar remarks about a United player if Ferguson was still the manager he'd probably get both barrels from him as well.

It also reflects poorly on Scholes that he got special treatment and never did his fair share of interviews or press conferences when he was still a player because he was 'shy'. But now that he's retired and getting paid to spout shit you can't get him off the TV.

Scholes was never ‘shy’, more like reserved and arrogant, just like he is today in fact (only talks more these days due his role as a payed TV pundit).

Heinzesight

I took Jose’s comments about money to mean that the price we paid for Pogba means there’s more pressure on him to perform.

Walters_19_MuFc

Nothing wrong with what he said. Probably didn't have to harp on so much, but he's sticking up for his players. Any other manager would have done the same.

The White Pele

Ferguson said worse about Keane when Keane as a pundit criticised our players.

Fwiw, I get the impression that Mourinho would rather have the ex players on side and involved with the club in some way but if they choose to make careers in the media then Jose is entitled to defend his players against their criticism, just as Scholes is entitled to give his opinion.

I think Scholes' point was valid although not very tactful.

Last edited:

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Mourinho is our current manager, Pogba is our current player. Scholes is a legend, but he's in the past. Our team is improving, for the first time since SAF left. Let's keep going and not listen to outside noise. Also can't blame Mourinho for defending his player. SAF also had a row with Keane. Enough with the drama and let's focus on what's important.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I wish Scholes didn't take up punditry.

I can't remember who exactly it was, but a Liverpool player or manager at the time back in the 90s commented on how the older Liverpool greats who had taken up punditry weren't doing the club any favours with all the criticism each time the club stumbled.

I'm sure Scholes wants the best for the club, but it's not nice to see the club (and Scholes is as much part of the club as the fans, maybe more) bickering amongst each other.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It is always funny that on a forum where a lot of you want everyone sold after every bad result call guys like Scholes, Keane and the Nevilles "negative".

Strachans Cigar

Just watched it. Mourinho in a po-faced but relaxed and not overtly bellicose mood I think. Seems in control to me though and I for one am glad to see it.

If you watch the full post match presser, just before the juicy bit JM starts by saying "I think the performance was really good...so, maybe I'm lucky this time, and maybe the kings of the Rock and Roll that say I was underperforming last match, maybe they say that this time I performed".

only THEN does the journo - not Mourinho - mention Paul Scholes by name and Scholes' criticisms of Pogba.

My interpretation of Jose's response is, like LVG before him, he's had enough of these whippersnappers (Co92, hence the term "The kings of Rock and Roll") sniping at the manager. He is also calling them out on a perceived agenda to gain more influence and traction within the club.

He's then pointed out his own management record in defence, which he is very right to be proud of, whilst making the very clear distinction between the three areas of Football management, playing and punditry all being very different.

In short, Mourinho has turned defence into attack. If he does that on the pitch also, we'll all be very happy.

...meanwhile Scholes as a pundit can feck off & join Andy Tate.

RuudTom83

I could be wrong here, but wasn’t Jesse giving the cameras the Ssshhhh fingers too...maybe the players/manager/squad have just had enough of every media outlet slagging them off every chance they get.

Scholes (a club legend) ripping into Pogba was probably too close to home for Jose to not respond.

Paxi

I could be wrong here, but wasn’t Jesse giving the cameras the Ssshhhh fingers too...maybe the players/manager/squad have just had enough of every media outlet slagging them off every chance they get.

Scholes (a club legend) ripping into Pogba was probably too close to home for Jose to not respond.
Think something to with his personal life. You can look it up. (involves hot women)

Wilt

Here's an idea ....instead of Scholes talking bollocks about the Club, how about having a go at managing

stevoc

Scholes was never ‘shy’, more like reserved and arrogant, just like he is today in fact (only talks more these days due his role as a payed TV pundit).
Well exactly thats my point he never did interviews or pressers back in the day because he couldn't be arsed and he got away with not doing them but all his team mates had to do them even though they most likely didn't enjoy them either.

But now theres a few quid in it for him you can't shut him up. As i said i think it reflects poorly on him.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Because they just give away management jobs.
To be fair the previous point made by @Wilt is ludicrous as one does not necessarily involve the other. However Scholes would find it easier than a lot of ex-pros with no experience in getting a management job.