Mourinho's comments on Scholes

SER19

Let's be honest, if the thread opened up with this particular set of quotes over the ones OP carefully curated then we'd be having an entirely different conversation.
Yeah but don't let that get in the way of agenda warriors

Mindhunter

This makes me laugh. An ex-player (albeit a very good one) continues to criticize a current key player and somehow the manager is not supposed to defend him?

The manager is responsible for current performance and Pogba's performances are key to Mourinho's success at Man Utd. It's funny that some fans would expect the manager to either keep quiet or handle it delicately as the criticism is coming from an ex-player. Scholes is apparently entitled to his opinion but somehow Mourinho isn't because he is employed by the club 'today' and is looking to make us successful 'today' over someone who was with us 'yesterday'.

Karlkim SK

This is why I love Jose! He doesn't give a crap about idiot fans, journalists or any former players who just keep criticizing. If Scholes can criticize his former teams like that, it's fair game for Jose to shoot back.

Micky Targaryen

What I got from his comments is that Mourinho is just trying to defend his own players (Pogba), and just trying to play down what others (Scholes) thinks.
I'm not defending Mourinho in any way and yes I think he is being petty and he should've worded his speech in a classier way, but some posters on here going off as if Scholes should be devoid of any criticism just because he is a club legend. Scholes does come off as below average pundit at times and this petty behaviour from Jose is part of the package we signed up for. We just need to accept that. Hey we just got 3 points for the new year! Quit moaning and Happy New Year folks!

SER19

That idiot McDonnell at the mirror has reported this as
"Mourinho launches furious tirade on legend scholes"
"Brands him a failed pundit"

Two things; surely that warrants being banned for press conferences for a while. Ferguson did that and once said to McDonnell that his voice made his skin crawl.

Secondly, it's reported in a way that South Park would parodise an agenda driven media, but some people actually buy into it. Do you realise how fundamentally stupid that makes some of you look? Not the ones that have issue with it but the ones actually responding in uproar.

vangagal

Didn't Fergie calling Neville is stupid few years ago when he criticized De Gea performance against Spurs? Is there anyone defend Neville for what he said?
All of this pundit who happen to be ex-player will always say thing like they know it best, 'cause you know, they have been there before but mostly they all talking crap each other and its cringeworthy for me.

MrPooni

Expecting Henry will get a tongue lashing soon as well then.
It's worth noting Jose only made these comments because he was specifically asked about what Scholes said by more than one journalist. People are acting like he kicked off the doors to his post-match press conference and launched into an unprompted tirade or something. Henry's comments won't get a mention because they don't play as well as "Jose goes to war with ex-United legend!"

SER19

MOURINHO HEAPS PRAISE ON UNITED LEGEND SCHOLES

Thought this was a cracking footnote to a great win. Mourinho called scholes a "phenomenal player, one of the best players I have ever seen in midfield who has contributed so much to my club",

Classy comments, he totally gets the history of united :devil:

BenjaminP

Scholes, please don't ruin your playing career with your lousy criticism. Mourinho is right, all he does is moan and moan and moan. Getting a bit annoying.

RonW

This makes me laugh. An ex-player (albeit a very good one) continues to criticize a current key player and somehow the manager is not supposed to defend him?

The manager is responsible for current performance and Pogba's performances are key to Mourinho's success at Man Utd. It's funny that some fans would expect the manager to either keep quiet or handle it delicately as the criticism is coming from an ex-player. Scholes is apparently entitled to his opinion but somehow Mourinho isn't because he is employed by the club 'today' and is looking to make us successful 'today' over someone who was with us 'yesterday'.
The manager has every right to defend his players, but to suggest Scholes was jealous because Pogba earned more than him is just downright disgraceful for a man of Scholes' callibre. The guy gave his whole life and career for our club, and never threatened with a transfer request and was just happy with what the club offered him. And to suggest Scholes would be happy with 25% of how much Mou has been successful is another below the belt attack. This clearly shows Mou's lack of humility and arrogance.

eat_grass

The "Mourinho Out" brigade is going to use this in their future arguments: "Mourinho attacks club legends! No respect for the club!!" :rolleyes:

SER19

The manager has every right to defend his players, but to suggest Scholes was jealous because Pogba earned more than him is just downright disgraceful for a man of Scholes' callibre. The guy gave his whole life and career for our club, and never threatened with a transfer request and was just happy with what the club offered him. And to suggest Scholes would be happy with 25% of how much Mou has been successful is another below the belt attack. This clearly shows Mou's lack of humility and arrogance.
He only suggested that if that's how you interpret it. A more realistic way would be to see that he's passing comment on the often criticised salaries modern players earn. And if you think any aspiring manager wouldn't be happy with 6 trophies in their career then you're incredibly naive.

SER19

The "Mourinho Out" brigade is going to use this in their future arguments: "Mourinho attacks club legends! No respect for the club!!" :rolleyes:
Yes the same brigade slaughtering them in other threads

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Its quite a strange way to 'support' a club when siding with a pundit over your manager. Especially when Mourinho has a very good point and was very accurate in his statement. Which just goes to prove that such anti Mourinho comments are purely agenda led.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
This is why I love Jose! He doesn't give a crap about idiot fans, journalists or any former players who just keep criticizing. If Scholes can criticize his former teams like that, it's fair game for Jose to shoot back.
The problem is Scholes or any other pundit has nothing to prove. They can comment all they want. Jose needs to back it up and right now Jose looks a bit like a clown.

There is no need to respond

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Its quite a strange way to 'support' a club when siding with a pundit over your manager. Especially when Mourinho has a very good point and was very accurate in his statement. Which just goes to prove that such anti Mourinho comments are purely agenda led.
There is no agenda. Not from me at least. Not everything is black and white. I can support Mourinho while saying his comments/pressers are generally garbage. I think he should go for these things when he's winning but he looks really bad and petty otherwise.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Are we the only club (except Bayern) where former players continue to criticize current teams? Happened with LvG too.

Regardless if the manager is right or wrong, why can't they get behind the club or at least tone it down a bit?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I watched the video, I maybe wrong here but I don't think Jose was talking about wages when he said "It's not Paul's fault he made more money than Scholes". Looks like it was reference to transfer fee.

I might be completely wrong here though but that's what I thought when I watched the video instead of reading quotes.

newgiz

I am sorry but what exactly is Jose doing wrong here? Scholes is my favorite player ever (I have 3 jerseys of him for feck's sake) but he's extremely critical of Pogba all the time. We all know Scholes isn't the best pundit around. I don't see anything wrong in Jose being protective of his players.

Green_Red

Fair play to Mourinho, give as you as you get in life! Scholes should stop criticising the team all the time. That prick on BT Sports has his nose so far up Scholses arse its not even funny, and Scholes loves it.

Green_Red

As I said in the post match thread I think both are wrong, Paul for criticizing Pogba and Mourinho for replaying on it at all.

Mourinho should have just said Paul is free to comment as he likes and he has no comment on him. Would have closed the argument nicely.
I think Mourinho pointing out that Scholes was a phenomenal player was a nice comeback, even better was saying if Scholes became a manager and won 1/4 of what Jose has he'd be very happy. Burn! Scholes should comment on the game and not make wild assumptions about thr effort people put in behind the scenes, because its pure speculation.

BigCaine

Thought the money part was a bit classless, no need to go there. But the rest was absolutely necessary, the class of 92 seems a bit too eager to kick our managers when they are down and I think we can all pretty much guess the reasons for that and someone needed to say it aloud.

DdeGoat

Inappropriate Content
Yeah but don't let that get in the way of agenda warriors
You make perfect length posts which are precise and convey what you want to say without being verbose. You have made only 4307 posts on this forum in nearly 10 years which shows that you don't post more than necessary. The length of your posts are fine and there aren't many grammatical mistakes. Your diction is very good.

However, all your posts come across as from some cantankerous old fool who is not on the forum to discuss football but criticize other posters to feel better about himself. They come across as petty and needy. Moaning about the so call moaners in every post you make is so pathetic. I wish you were happier.

Now don't focus on the second paragraph like someone warrior and try to start an e-fight. Focus on the first where I praised you.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Full quotes posted again, so agenda posters cant beat him with this stick.

Green_Red

Thought the money part was a bit classless, no need to go there. But the rest was absolutely necessary, the class of 92 seems a bit too eager to kick our managers when they are down and I think we can all pretty much guess the reasons for that and someone needed to say it aloud.
Scholesy shouldnt have had commented on the money the players are on. Good on Mourinho sticking up for the players. It takes balls to stand up to an club legend, knowing a lot of fans would automatically side with Scholes, which is stupid if you ask me.

Chris M

I think Mourinho is bang on in defending his players against previous players and managers comments. The sad thing about Scholes is that he was one of our greatest players and his pundit buddies love to see him get stuck into United and try to destabilize the club.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This is a case where everyone is right. Scholes is right to criticize and Mourinho is right to say what he said. It is nothing in comparison to what Wenger said about Henry recently

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Let's be honest, if the thread opened up with this particular set of quotes over the ones OP carefully curated then we'd be having an entirely different conversation.
Oh do shut up.

Jose is evil and should be burnt at the stake.

I stopped listening to anything Keane says and will just do the same with Scholes.

BigCaine

Scholesy shouldnt have had commented on the money the players are on. Good on Mourinho sticking up for the players. It takes balls to stand up to an club legend, knowing a lot of fans would automatically side with Scholes, which is stupid if you ask me.
What did scholes say about money?

Womp

idiot
Oh do shut up.

Jose is evil and should be burnt at the stake.

I stopped listening to anything Keane says and will just do the same with Scholes.
Your opinion seems to be a little conflicted here. :p

DdeGoat

People need to stop picking small fragments of the particular comments and see the two videos. Paul says it in the beginning and then reiterates that in his opinion Pogba needs to play in a more attacking role and being played a little deeper is the reason for his up and down performances.

Jose takes unnecessary swipes first at money thing, which is ridiculous. And then goes on to brag about his trophy haul and how Paul needs to win 25% of them for some reason. If you need to win trophies before criticizing someone, then a lot of people will be out of jobs. And in all walks to life. We'll have to shut down the forum, as I don't think any one of us comes even close to the footballing achievements of even the worst player or manager in the premier league.

Distracted Steward

Mourinho could start an argument in an empty room. I hope he manages this side of his personality a little better before he sh#ts the bed like he always seems to. If we get more of the best of him and less of this, he might surprise us with his longevity.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Jose was highly complimentary of Scholes as a player in the interview. Ofcourse, that bit is conveniently missed. Either way, there isnt much wrong with what he said overall.
And Scholes was highly complimentary of Pogba during his critique that people here are conveniently missing.

Distracted Steward

People need to stop picking small fragments of the particular comments and see the two videos. Paul says it in the beginning and then reiterates that in his opinion Pogba needs to play in a more attacking role and being played a little deeper is the reason for his up and down performances.

Jose takes unnecessary swipes first at money thing, which is ridiculous. And then goes on to brag about his trophy haul and how Paul needs to win 25% of them for some reason. If you need to win trophies before criticizing someone, then a lot of people will be out of jobs. And in all walks to life. We'll have to shut down the forum, as I don't think any one of us comes even close to the footballing achievements of even the worst player or manager in the premier league.
Scholes’ commentary has been light years ahead of what people on here give him credit for. He can be harsh and that can be salt in the wound for us watching our beloved club flounder, but he’s spot on more than he’s wrong for me.

Drawfull

As great as he was, Scholes has had it in for United ever since he was coaxed into becoming a pundit and after his mate Giggsy wasn't given the top job. He is blatantly bitter towards the club and any decision it takes, it seems.

For Mourinho, yes he should be defending his players when they deserve defence from the media or fans, but even having watched the full interview, he just comes across as petulant to me.

They're both as bad as each other in that they don't seem to be able to criticise without overstepping the mark.

DevilRed

If people actually watched the entire videos, this whole "spat" has been taken out of context. Scholes makes some valid points including playing Pogba further up the pitch and near the goal so that he can be a matchwinner. However, he also makes some pretty shit criticisms like questioning his training/conditioning and professionalism.

Mourinho is in his right as a manager to hit back at these criticisms. Its nothing different to what SAF has done throughout his career when the media attack his players.

Glad that Mourinho is protecting his players from the media.