Mourinho's post match comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
His point is clearly that its happened before that the better/favourite team has been knocked out and this is no different.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Possibly, but that doesn't explain why he felt the need to mention the Real and Porto encounters from the past, both of which beat United while he was manager. Doesn't add up.
It adds up because he’s saying. “Look, this has happened before. I should know, I’ve been sitting in this same room when it happened”. It’s a slightly twattish thing to say but not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It’s the performance tonight that we should be offended about, not the post-match comments.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Way I see it, he did well to get us this far. But something is now not right. For me, that something is not the manager but certain players.

BigBebe

Those comments are diabolical. He is basically saying that his CL wins are better than United's. Seriously, that is out of order.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Those comments are diabolical. He is basically saying that his CL wins are better than United's. Seriously, that is out of order.
That's not what he's saying.

What he is implying is that going out of CL once in while is a common denominator with Manchester United, not so much with him. Typical José blame-shifting, it's never his failing.

E-mal

I think hes just trying to protect his players because the fa Cup match is on Saturday. Im sure he will be wielding the hair dryer in the dressing room.
He should dry his own shit hair first, very poor football he has served.

Theonas

Scout
Scholes had it spot on tonight. We play similar football a lot of the time and manage a win, so it's glossed over. Doesn't mean it's good enough though.
Probably the smartest thing Scholes said as a pundit. The problem is after games like Saturday's or the Arsenal game earlier in the season or that famous Chelsea win away at Liverpool to end their title hopes, when pundits and fans applaud performances like that as some sort of grand plan and tactical brilliance. The assumption that every win means the tactics were right and every defeat the opposite contributes to these silly narratives. It is like Conte being killed for his tactics against City at the Etihad but applauded for his tactics against Barcelona few days before. Both were the same tactics, one had Willian on fire, the other didn't. Us against Liverpool and today, the only difference is a successful Lukaku flick early on and a great finish. What followed is the natural result of having the confidence and momentum of a team in lead married with fans who got behind the team to see the game out and use the spaces left behind of the opponent because they had to risk more. The tactical approach and its limitations and strengths are however exactly the same. It is as likely to get wins as it is to produce performances like tonight's.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Ok, so what did he mean then?
That United have gone out early in the Champions League before and have bounced back. That it's not the end of the world. And that is because he has seen it before when he was the manager at difference clubs. Porto shocked and knocked United out early in 2004. Four years later, United lifted the trophy. It was just a weird way to explain it, but consider that he's not speaking in his native language, so statements will have a tendency come off oddly.

Kev Friend

Amazed that anyone can defend this. He's clearly trying to dispute the notion that this is a complete disaster. It's not a 'life goes on' type sentiment; he's just defending himself.

As evidenced by last Saturday, he's still capable of pulling off the odd tactical masterstroke, but his attitude should be a huge worry. There's a bitterness and joylessness about him so much of the time. Hard to believe he'll ever be able to cultivate the kind of dressing room mentality it's going to take to get the team back to where it should be.

Reactions: langster

Florida Man

A level-headed WUM? Surely even the king of level heads can recognize why people are angry. Unless he's a wum.
Call it a WUM all you want, but I'm not the one interpreting a harmless comment as some dig at the club's prestige. The rest of you (most of you) will come to this realization when the foam is dried from your mouths.

Edit: Now I'm not saying there aren't plenty of things to criticize intensely. There definitely are. But this in particular is a nothing story that the media is stringing you lot around on.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
'Remember I've been good in this thing before and even SAF fecked it up at times'.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Some proper shitty comments there. He’s never gonna admit his mistakes though is he. And there were plenty of them over the two games.

wolvored

I think we will finish 2nd 3rd or 4th so top 4 secure but for what? we havent a cat in hells chance of winning the Champions league with his dour tactics and actual play. Yes we got a chance of the FA cup but I hope Woody sees the bigger picture and fecks him off end of season, or end of next season at the latest.

walkinhop

Call it a WUM all you want, but I'm not the one interpreting a harmless comment as some dig at the club's prestige. The rest of you (most of you) will come to this realization when the foam is dried from your mouths.

Edit: Now I'm not saying there aren't plenty of things to criticize intensely. There definitely are. But this in particular is a nothing story that the media is stringing you lot around on.
You do a lot of generalizing. The fact that this comment has stirred the waters shows that it was poor, misunderstood or not. It's not that hard to manage the fans after a performence like tonight's. Just come out and be humble but i guess the foam blinds us for everything positive...get a grip will you?

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Probably the smartest thing Scholes said as a pundit. The problem is after games like Saturday's or the Arsenal game earlier in the season or that famous Chelsea win away at Liverpool to end their title hopes, when pundits and fans applaud performances like that as some sort of grand plan and tactical brilliance. The assumption that every win means the tactics were right and every defeat the opposite contributes to these silly narratives. It is like Conte being killed for his tactics against City at the Etihad but applauded for his tactics against Barcelona few days before. Both were the same tactics, one had Willian on fire, the other didn't. Us against Liverpool and today, the only difference is a successful Lukaku flick early on and a great finish. What followed is the natural result of having the confidence and momentum of a team in lead married with fans who got behind the team to see the game out and use the spaces left behind of the opponent because they had to risk more. The tactical approach and its limitations and strengths are however exactly the same. It is as likely to get wins as it is to produce performances like tonight's.
Great post and and very vital point, in the bolded part

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Way I see it, he did well to get us this far. But something is now not right. For me, that something is not the manager but certain players.
Its a bit of both. He needs to pull his head out of arse sometimes and theres quite clearly a number of players, Who cannot be carried past a certain level and keep getting chance after chance after chance, while players bought into replace them get one game and are not seen for months afterwards or shipped straight out.

Mourinho was let down badly badly by a numner of of players tonight, the system might not have been right, but the passing, possitioning, brain dead decision making, appaling attitude and general cowardice of some players cannot be placed at his door.

AshRK

I want to support him but his tactics is killing me. He is making things tough for himself.

jay25jay

Mourinho should just own up that he got it wrong. That's what I wanted him to do tonight instead of shifting the blame onto someone else like usual. He either needs to start playing the united way or just resign because his tactics are the only reason we've been knocked out tonight, fair enough if we had given it a proper go but from the start we set out not to lose just like so many other times this season and ultimately getting the defeat we deserved.

Its just so sad watching car crash performances like that compared to the more memorable European performances of the past. Sevilla were there for the taking over both legs and Mourinho messed it up big time, I don't blame the players I put the blame solely on him and his defensive tactics. If he doesn't change his ways the gap between us and city is only going to grow over the next few years!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
But what a stupid way to do it though.

He must know fans will not be happy with him tonight, he will have heard the booing at full time. And he decides a good way to defend himself is to bring up two painful CL defeats from years gone by. That just so happen to be the ones where he won. It's like he's putting Utd down and bigging himself up at the same time.

Hey, I know you fans are angry now but remember when I knocked you out twice, both times in dodgy fashion? What an idiot.
You’re right, it is utterly stupid but that’s the Mourinho way. His biggest defence of himself or his team is to point out how successful he is and has been. He’s pointing out this has happened before in a way that makes himself look good, which is bizarre to say the least.

Terry Apogee

Mourinho is a saboteur. He's also a born winner. His primary focus is ensuring we get as many points as possible in the league so it doesn't look like we're too far off City by the end of the season, and we finish second.

He also wants the cup and will go all out to win it. I think he knows we're not good enough to win the champions league so he's sacrificed it. Yes, that's right he's sabotaged his own team. Most of the time he sabotages the opposition but sometimes if he thinks it will be better in the long run he will sabotage his own side. Why be so blasé about going out to Seville? Why drop McTominay and start Fellaini? Lingard hasn't played in the league much, why start him? Why swap Rashford out to the right? Why drop Mata? Why? It's because he knows it's better to save the legs for the league and FA cup. At the end of the season we will be second and might win the FA Cup. In the summer he will add the players he wants and next season he will win the league, league cup, champions league and FA Cup. This is Mourinho's mentality. People shouldn't underestimate him.

Reactions: SteveJ

Carolina Red

Staff
Possibly, but that doesn't explain why he felt the need to mention the Real and Porto encounters from the past, both of which beat United while he was manager. Doesn't add up.
It does if you consider he’s saying that “from personal experience I’ve seen .... happen and United overcame it”.

Florida Man

You do a lot of generalizing. The fact that this comment has stirred the waters shows that it was poor, misunderstood or not. It's not that hard to manage the fans after a performence like tonight's. Just come out and be humble but i guess the foam blinds us for everything positive...get a grip will you?
It's generalized because most of the responses are in rage. And over what? A comment that poorly conveys a different point that what a lot of these posters have convinced themselves to believe? Should I count the raging posts in here and return to you a more accurate statistic than 95%? There's no grip to get when it's not I who is finding any excuse to get angry. And we wonder why shit articles by shit newspapers continue to make money through clicks... Hot-headed fans keep lapping it up.

Carolina Red

Staff
The problem still remains that Jose never takes responsibility or owns up to mistakes, which is one of the reasons his teams turn on him.

His attitude gives off the impression that he did everything right and the players screwed it up. The fact of the matter its always a combination of both.
I don’t disagree with that. He needs to take responsibility for what happened today.

Raw

Mourinho is a saboteur. He's also a born winner. His primary focus is ensuring we get as many points as possible in the league so it doesn't look like we're too far off City by the end of the season, and we finish second.

He also wants the cup and will go all out to win it. I think he knows we're not good enough to win the champions league so he's sacrificed it. Yes, that's right he's sabotaged his own team. Most of the time he sabotages the opposition but sometimes if he thinks it will be better in the long run he will sabotage his own side. Why be so blasé about going out to Seville? Why drop McTominay and start Fellaini? Lingard hasn't played in the league much, why start him? Why swap Rashford out to the right? Why drop Mata? Why? It's because he knows it's better to save the legs for the league and FA cup. At the end of the season we will be second and might win the FA Cup. In the summer he will add the players he wants and next season he will win the league, league cup, champions league and FA Cup. This is Mourinho's mentality. People shouldn't underestimate him.
Is this a joke? I can't tell these days.

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
Caf reaction to the comments: "Mourinho is a traitor, he's made a point we don't like, and it upsets us, we played poor and lost and he can't say things like that."

My reaction: "Ok."

Florida Man

@walkinhop case and point.

Mou: "I've sat in this chair twice before, with Porto - Man Utd out, with Real Madrid - Man Utd out, so this is nothing new for this football club." #MUFC

you, the boring one, the coward one, stop insulting our club and leave us, I hate you since you was in Chelsea, and I hate you even more. Insulting our club to defend your stupid ego. To hell with.
You mentioning Porto and Real, but you forgot Inter Milan 2009?
you mention the times that you qualified with the help of the referee while you forget the time we kicked you and your stupid team when the game was fare.

walkinhop

It's generalized because most of the responses are in rage. And over what? A comment that poorly conveys a different point that what a lot of these posters have convinced themselves to believe? Should I count the raging posts in here and return to you a more accurate statistic than 95%? There's no grip to get when it's not I who is finding any excuse to get angry. And we wonder why shit articles by shit newspapers continue to make money through clicks... Hot-headed fans keep lapping it up.
Over 5 years of shite. Millions upon millions spent, experiments made, players and staff hired and fired. Over the yet another "leader" who can't be simple and calm the fans when needed. No, it all has to be complex and egotistic, a game with the media. It can't simply be "we failed, sorry"

I'm not sure what is easier. To understand the emotions of the fans and manage them in the presser or keep wanting the masses to close their eyes. There is no case in point. You don't blame the snake for biting you when you shove your hand down its mouth.

Zoo

Well if Sevilla go on to win the tournament like Porto in ‘04 this statement won’t look so bad.

Florida Man

Over 5 years of shite. Millions upon millions spent, experiments made, players and staff hired and fired. Over the yet another "leader" who can't be simple and calm the fans when needed. No, it all has to be complex and egotistic, a game with the media. It can't simply be "we failed, sorry"
You're not going to find many top managers who will say that publicly. I reckon most managers period wouldn't even say that, so expecting Mourinho of all people to say that is delusional.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
Not liking the result i can clearly understand, not liking Mourinho i can also.

Being so blind by it that you cant understand that he was just passing that this already happen and will happen again in the future, sorry, i really cant understand. You wanted him to say that we were shit and we should cry until the rest of the season because of this result? That's not Mourinho. Someone will ear it but it will not be the press or the fans

Status
Not open for further replies.