Mourinho's post match comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robindinho

So after every loss now in future, he’s just gonna say ‘man united have lost in the past, so this shouldn’t be a shock’

Pathetic. I was on the fence really about him but tonight has pushed me over - he can feck off.

Red_toad

shocking statements. To be honest, to me those arrogant post-match comments are almost as bad as the result itself.
Please explain how it's arrogant to make a comment like, it's happened before it'll happen again? More a statement of fact, but as we lost the mob are out for blood, showing a great level of support by throwing insults at the manager and the usual players.

Jamie Shawcross

The reason these comments annoy and disappoint me the most is the fact its as though hes talking like himself and the club are separate, like hes a separate entity and not fully on board. He doesn't even have a house in the city

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Sackable comment to be honest. He just need to be humble and accept the defeat. Or feck - send Rui out to give post match comments.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've no idea. His other match quotes are:

:houllier:
Those statistics are important. We are uncoordinated in attack. After nearly 2 seasons in charge that's pretty poor.

izec

Some Moyes type of comments in here. If that is the best he can offer against Sevilla, then good night. We were on the ropes against Celta last year too in the end, but didnt look half as clueless as today. That was masterclass compared to that shitshow

Gearbox Paddy

Total respect and thanks to Jose for everything he has done for our club and the position we are in now.

Yes we shat the bed tonight but remember it’s our first season back here so next season an improvement is to be expected.

Some of the comments here and elsewhere are pathetic though, that’s Jose finished now because of a bad game and a bad comment. Get a grip.

TsuWave

Way I see it, he did well to get us this far. But something is now not right. For me, that something is not the manager but certain players.
this would make sense if we kinda looked like a cohesive team with the odd players underperforming, but we don't. our defending is comical at times, we don't press, we have no overlapping fullbacks, we are terrible in possession with no urgency and rigid movement, there's no width, we can't define and execute counters. like, our only play seems to be long balls to lukaku and hope he manages to flick or hold it and pray something happens. surely after nearly two years like this it can't just be the players.

you look at liverpool, you see klopp's work despite their defensive frailties. you look at city, you see pep's work. you look at United and all we do is the above paragraph. horrible, defensive, set-ups and football that isn't even producing results

peridigm

Way I see it, he did well to get us this far. But something is now not right. For me, that something is not the manager but certain players.
We had one of the easiest groups and one of the easiest round of 16 draws.

Moyes could have gotten us this far.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Did he say "We were not good enough today, both me, the staff and the players. We apologize to the fans.". If he said that, i don't care about anything else.

predator

Youth NITK
Wow I can't actually believe he is bringing up his previous achievements and associating it with the match tonight. Can even the most loyal Mourinho & United supporters not agree that he is being abit egocentric? Ffs who gives a feck what he's done elsewhere when we have been knocked out in the last 16 by Sevilla. We support the club first and foremost.

Backrow Singer

Some part of me just wants to believe he's just trying to divert the attention from the players
He’s so full of front, who knows what he’s thinking, it’s always been that way. Nights like tonight, you want an explanation but the reality is he’s impossible to read. Everything he says it for a reason.

Turkleton

I think he's saying the loss isn't a big deal. Not for the players but because he refuses to accept any responsibility. The comments about it being an okay performance and no regrets are just as bad. Having regrets would mean accepting he made mistakes.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He's trying to say that it's not his fault because he's knocked United out before. But it is totally his fault. I am getting sick of this crap. You can't tell me that Sevilla has better players than us. Not even close. We are better in just about every position. So why do we lose? This is a match that we should be winning.

Mourinho has World Class attacking players at his disposal but he doesn't let them express themself on the pitch. I would rather see us attack, attack, attack and lose than to watch this crap. At least that way we can see how good our players really are and then fix the holes where they need to be fixed.

And WTF was Rashford doing on the right for most of the game? He was MOTM vs Liverpool playing down the left flank but instead he puts Lingard in the #10 with Sanchez on the left? I have no problem with the players he started (other than Fellaini as he is better as an impact sub), but if we are going to start with these guys then Lingard should be on the right, Rashford on the left and Sanchez in the #10..

And ffs, can we stop sitting back? We should be passing circles around Sevilla. Instead we don't show any urgency until we go down 2-0.

And while I'm on that, wtf was our defense doing on that second goal, and why is De Gea slapping at the ball with the wrong hand? He should have easily kept that ball our of the goal. I know, some aren't going to like me questioning De Gea, but nobody gets a free pass and you are only as good as your last performance. Even on the first goal, when the player is going to his right like that, De Gea should be cheating to that side. At that angle it was like he got beat short side. MOTM in the last game, not even close today. Rant over...

Vinnie Peetang

Mourinho needs to be on top of the fan's pulse a bit more. After a shock defeat to one of the easier teams, to say Man Utd going out in this round is normal, that is not good. I think we put the emphasis on beating Liverpool instead of this game. I would gladly have drawn the Liverpool game and win this one. Not the end of the world, I agree. Onwards to the FA Cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
We had one of the easiest groups and one of the easiest round of 16 draws.

Moyes could have gotten us this far.
Moyes didn't even qualify for the competition. And he finished seventh. We're currently second - we would be first in any normal year. That's huge progress.

That said, something is clearly wrong now. Pogba seems to exemplify the problem but selling him won't solve it. Jose needs to find a style of football and management that inspires the players.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
you look at liverpool, you see klopp's work despite their defensive frailties. you look at city, you see pep's work. you look at United and all we do is the above paragraph. horrible, defensive, set-ups and football that isn't even producing results
I agree. Whatever he did that was working before, it didn't work tonight.

amolbhatia50k

Did he say "We were not good enough today, both me, the staff and the players. We apologize to the fans.". If he said that, i don't care about anything else.
Expecting Jose to actually take ownership of things is far too much. He's more likely to talk about the team/players and its shortcomings. Hopefully I'm wrong in this case.

Johannes Martinus

I'm a rather new fan from the States. I was obviously displeased with the outcome but was able to accept it. Then I read the sat in this chair statement and I'm irrationally mad. I don't understand how he can be that arrogant and obtuse. I don't care what point he may have been trying to make, he should immediately be sacked.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Expecting Jose to actually take ownership of things is far too much. He's more likely to talk about the team/players and its shortcomings. Hopefully I'm wrong in this case.
Apparently he said this after the game:

"When a team win, everyone wins, but when a team loses, the coach loses," he said to MEGA TV in Spain.

"It's the same everywhere, in England, in Spain and in China.

"I have lost and clearly I have made mistakes."

So maybe he is capable of taking the blame, to some degree at least.

amolbhatia50k

Apparently he said this after the game:

"When a team win, everyone wins, but when a team loses, the coach loses," he said to MEGA TV in Spain.

"It's the same everywhere, in England, in Spain and in China.

"I have lost and clearly I have made mistakes."

So maybe he is capable of taking the blame, to some degree at least.
Glad to be wrong in this case.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
I'm starting to turn on him myself. Been a staunch defender of him being the right man to get us back to winning ways. This statement ("I don't think the performance was bad. The early intention was good and was positive.") is what really bothers me. This was a garbage performance not only today but over the 2 legs. At Sevilla I rationalized that we were happy with the draw. But we started the game looking like we were going for another draw. No intensity, no fight, no football. Almost as if the players are losing their will to fight for him. These guys all came to Manchester United because we are known to play attacking, exciting football and win things. I bet they have a hard time setting up defensively against the likes of Sevilla.

Dante

Average bang
I think he's trying to be humble. But he's never done it before, so it came out all wrong.

haram

Is he not saying that losing happens and that we should move on?

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I'm starting to turn on him myself. Been a staunch defender of him being the right man to get us back to winning ways. This statement ("I don't think the performance was bad. The early intention was good and was positive.") is what really bothers me. This was a garbage performance not only today but over the 2 legs. At Sevilla I rationalized that we were happy with the draw. But we started the game looking like we were going for another draw. No intensity, no fight, no football. Almost as if the players are losing their will to fight for him. These guys all came to Manchester United because we are known to play attacking, exciting football and win things. I bet they have a hard time setting up defensively against the likes of Sevilla.
In all honesty the first five minutes or so did look pretty good (Mourinho said 10 - 15, which is pushing it). It was after that that the team looked shorn of intent or ideas. Mourinho was right to say that Sevilla took control of the ball and hid it well but that says nothing about the apparent lack of desire Utd had to press or try to get the ball back, nor the timidity with which the ball was passed around when it was won back.

NK86

I would have said it differently myself, but I don’t think what he said is as sinister as some folks are making it out to be. He just worded it quite poorly.
He also said it's just a game. If that's what he actually thinks, then maybe he can take a pay cut. Yes it's not world war, but don't get the cheek on him to make those comments on the back of having his team play like that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The solution to our limp midfield and attack is buying a ball playing defender. That's the priority this summer.

Or so I've been told.

Water Melon

Oh la la, so he is implying that Utd are used to being kicked out of CL? Let's see what Woody says. If it is just a game, do not pay him. None of us are paid for losing just a game.

beingshe7don

He's trying to say that it's not his fault because he's knocked United out before. But it is totally his fault. I am getting sick of this crap. You can't tell me that Sevilla has better players than us. Not even close. We are better in just about every position. So why do we lose? This is a match that we should be winning.

Mourinho has World Class attacking players at his disposal but he doesn't let them express themself on the pitch. I would rather see us attack, attack, attack and lose than to watch this crap. At least that way we can see how good our players really are and then fix the holes where they need to be fixed.

And WTF was Rashford doing on the right for most of the game? He was MOTM vs Liverpool playing down the left flank but instead he puts Lingard in the #10 with Sanchez on the left? I have no problem with the players he started (other than Fellaini as he is better as an impact sub), but if we are going to start with these guys then Lingard should be on the right, Rashford on the left and Sanchez in the #10..

And ffs, can we stop sitting back? We should be passing circles around Sevilla. Instead we don't show any urgency until we go down 2-0.

And while I'm on that, wtf was our defense doing on that second goal, and why is De Gea slapping at the ball with the wrong hand? He should have easily kept that ball our of the goal. I know, some aren't going to like me questioning De Gea, but nobody gets a free pass and you are only as good as your last performance. Even on the first goal, when the player is going to his right like that, De Gea should be cheating to that side. At that angle it was like he got beat short side. MOTM in the last game, not even close today. Rant over...
You're being too nice. Sanchez shouldn't even be anywhere near the first team. They should make him train with the U15s.

Giggs86

I've no idea what point he's trying to make.
You also set there with Inter back in 2009, Inter were out, United progressed, and we didn't park the bus after a 0-0 back in Italy, we attacked from the get go and won 2-0. What's his point?

haram

You also set there with Inter back in 2009, Inter were out, United progressed, and we didn't park the bus after a 0-0 back in Italy, we attacked from the get go and won 2-0. What's his point?
That sometimes you lose.

NK86

That’s a factual statement. He just stated the obvious there.
Not saying he didn't. It's obviously nothing more than that. However it is a lot about passion. If it was just a game in the sense that it didn't matter at all, 1000s of people wouldn't be braving crazy weather to watch 22 men kick a ball around.

Status
Not open for further replies.