Mourinho's post match comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

midnightmare

Not really. Moyes got to the same spot in the Champions League in one of his two seasons, and LVG also got us back into the CL only to go out in the meekest way possible. This wasn't a knock out tired against a top European side that we lost, it was Seville.
Moyes got to the same spot - but was nowhere in the league and was encouraging us to be more like Liverpool and City. He was saying we'd give it our best against Newcastle and aiming forlorn crosses against Fulham. Why not mention that as well? With LvG, we went out in the meekest way possible - we ended Top 4 in a season in which we did feck-all else - and won the FA Cup in a season when we weren't in the Top 4.
You can't take the best parts of multiple seasons and say "Oh, but in this standalone season, we're not at that combined level". It's not the way to build a coherent argument. The way to look at things is in context. When was the last season we were a comfortable second in March while also in the FA Cup, having also gone past the group stages in the CL? Under Fergie!

Kapardin

Moyes got to the same spot - but was nowhere in the league and was encouraging us to be more like Liverpool and City. He was saying we'd give it our best against Newcastle and aiming forlorn crosses against Fulham. Why not mention that as well? With LvG, we went out in the meekest way possible - we ended Top 4 in a season in which we did feck-all else - and won the FA Cup in a season when we weren't in the Top 4.
You can't take the best parts of multiple seasons and say "Oh, but in this standalone season, we're not at that combined level". It's not the way to build a coherent argument. The way to look at things is in context. When was the last season we were a comfortable second in March while also in the FA Cup, having also gone past the group stages in the CL? Under Fergie!
Agreed. And if we win the FA Cup this season (which is a tall order considering how we play), we will look back on this more kindly I would assume. No FA Cup would be disappointing, but still a step forward from previous seasons.

We need to give him the next season and see if he rights the wrongs of this season. One thing I am worried about is that ever since being beaten by Simeone's Atletico in the CL semis, Jose seems to have developed a mental block in the CL in terms of getting past the Ro16. This round is very much his kryptonite, and it would seem the opposition doesn't matter for this, considering Sevilla were almost as crap as us over two legs.

Next season, challenging for the title is mandatory, while his CL performances seriously need to go under the scanner.

soccerMad

Still couldn't understand what he is trying to say. ???

The tactics is right, players done their duties and shiiit happened that we lost?

Is it that difficult to say that we are outwitted, outplayed and we are not up to this and we lost. We will regroup and we will come back and fight another day, we are only human and we make mistake along the way, who doesn't. Even a great team get hiccup once in a while don't they.

:devil:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Result wise we are good. Second in the league, still FA cup to play for but the way we approach the game was a disaster. Jose methods make the whole team nervous. One small mistake and we are out as we play pragmatic style.

In the last few mins we created good number of chances as we had noting to lose and kept on attacking, why don't we play with same tempo from the start and then take foot off the gas?

We are in good position in league compared to previous years but with this style, we will always struggle in CL.

BigCaine

Umm... so one last-16 exit is evidence of this? Really? Where's the perspective? Or did you feel the same way even when we beat Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal this season? This when we sit second (5 clear of third) behind the most ludicrously extravagant club in the history of the game, on a run which is truly unprecedented?
He was talking about the comments not the match. To admit that utd are bound to lose to rubbish like Sevilla while being thoroughly outplayed as something that happens with utd many a times is mourinho's version of we are going to make it difficult for Newcastle, that is loser mentality something we cannot and should not accept in an utd manager.

up, he also used to get rid of all the unproven players, bringing in new and expensive players, driving them relentlessly to the absolute limit in the second season - leading to the meltdown in Season 3. Here, he's trusted the younger players, bought fewer than elsewhere, brought in academy players as well and gone slower - leading to Chelsea fans cribbing that he's "treating United far more like a long-term project than he ever did Chelsea". Had he ditched Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Lingard etc. as "too inconsistent right now", he'd possibly be challenging, but be vilified for breaking with "the United Way". Now, instead, he's being criticized for the obvious downside to a more gradual approach. Can't have it both ways...

He has been better in terms of picking younger players than he usually had been and it is nice to see but to say he hasn't spent money on big players.

Pogba-89mn
Bailly-30mn
Mkhi-28mn
Lukaku-75mn
Lindelof-35mn
Matic-40mn
Sanchez-500k contract

You seem to have a different meaning to what is considered spending big money by most folks.

Also he tried getting his players in was rightly overruled i guess, he wanted perisic instead of martial or rashford remember.
Because it never happened to Fergie? Because Moyes and LvG were always in the hunt? Or because your expectations have been raised on account of Jose's performances since he took over? For me, the disappointment comes from the fact that I've started believing we can do better - and in the cold light of day, I will admit it's because of how Jose has done for us since taking over. We're no longer a sh*te team capable of nothing but boring sideways passing / endless aimless crossing. So when something goes against plan, suck it up and look at the bigger picture. To deny that we've progressed is strange when you take things in perspective.

Moyes and LVG were bad hires and were rubbish, just because mourinho is better than them doesn't make him much better just better than rubbish.

He has spent big money and his football is barely an improvement over van gaal's, it's boring defensive rubbish just played with better players so a lot more effective but when managers like klopp and pochettino can get their respective teams playing good football while not spending as much, mourinho needs to win things because if he doesn't then there is no sense in sitting through the dour football people watch as a source of entertainment.

Frankly i would back him in the window and give him until end of the year to mount a credible title challenge if he can't sack him and by title challenge i mean an actual chance of winning the league non of this we are 2nd nonsense.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Maybe we need somebody new on that chair with Mourinho out

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
That statement to me reads "life goes on". I find it not so pleasing because it's not his place to tell the fans how to feel after a lose.

iamkiranks

Managers do tend to divert attention, but definitely, should not be like this. He should've rather taken the blame himself than saying "the club is used to it". It's proper disrespect to the football club.

His coaching is a different thing. Can cope with pragmatic approach as long as the results are good. Also, maybe can give him the excuse that he's rebuilding and maybe another transfer window short of getting all the personnel he needs. He approached yesterday's match with unnecessary cautiousness.

But these comments are totally unacceotable. Don't want to see my club's manager disrespecting the club.

Craig Ward

Baffling comments after the most inept tactical display I've witnessed in a long long time from a utd side.

The players of course take blame as none were up for it, But it stems from poor tactics poor selection from the manager. We had no desire to win. After the first 10 minutes, it was pretty clear we were set up wrong and playing a dangerous game.

Such a wasteful poor night

lococol

To be fair life does go on for him, win or lose he gets paid. Players and managers wages should be mostly performance related. We would have seen a different game then.

lococol

Baffling comments after the most inept tactical display I've witnessed in a long long time from a utd side.

The players of course take blame as none were up for it, But it stems from poor tactics poor selection from the manager. We had no desire to win. After the first 10 minutes, it was pretty clear we were set up wrong and playing a dangerous game.

Such a wasteful poor night
We lost that game in the presser, Im telling you. This noncholant attitude filtered down from Jose. He has to adapt to united style or go.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
To me, these are nothing short of disgraceful comments. At a disappointing moment in the club, Mourinho makes it all about him and almost takes all the fault out of his tactical choices, "Hey, you guys have been here before, and guess what? I knocked this club out both times myself with Porto and Real Madrid!"...

iamkiranks

He is deflecting from his players and making it about him. Tactic takes some courage in the context of the result.
Managers do deflect attention from players' performance. But here, he has not made it about him. He's rather made it about the club, saying "it has happened before and there's nothing new", also pointing at the results he himself achieved against us. That gives a bad vibe. It comes off as he's disrespecting the club, imo

Strats

I hope Fergie smashed the door to his office and gave him a proper wine fueled hair dryer.

Social Madworks

He is deflecting from his players and making it about him. Tactic takes some courage in the context of the result.
I am surprised, but finally. It takes 7 pages of comment for this to come out.

yeah right, he is trying to deflect attentions away from his players, to himself, yeah, like always.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I've slept on it, so this is a considered reaction...

Not even commenting on his performance or that of the players.

Just want to say that Mourinho is an utter cock for his post-match comments.

“I’ve sat in this chair twice before with Porto, Manchester United out, and Real Madrid, Manchester United out, so I don’t think it’s anything new for the club,” said Mourinho.

Safa Boy

I've no idea what point he's trying to make.
Trying to downplay the loss by refrencing previous times we got knocked out, especially when he was involved. As if that somehow makes this okay. Sounds like he's trying to lower standards and expectations, just like LVG and Moyes tried to do. It's nonsense.

Green_Red

Only one team in every champions league every year doesnt get knocked out at some point... stop getting your knickers in a twist. Bunch of babies on this forum!

Oggmonster

It adds up because he’s saying. “Look, this has happened before. I should know, I’ve been sitting in this same room when it happened”. It’s a slightly twattish thing to say but not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It’s the performance tonight that we should be offended about, not the post-match comments.
It’s a dickhead thing to say and coupled with what was possibly one of our worst performances in years I think it makes it a bigger deal.

I don’t get how some people are seemingly giving him a pass on “what he meant to say” this is a guy who speaks fluent English and has for years given the press sound bites. For me he knew exactly what he was saying and trying to exonerate some of the blame from himself and also remind us how great he thinks he is.

No one has claimed it never happened in the past but equally I don’t think in the games he references we were as pathetic as he set the team up tonight. It’s tedious to see Mourinho defended for everything he says...maybe it is hot headed fans or whatever but they have a right to be like that, last night I sat through one of the most dull, un adventurous games I can recall seeing people are allowed to be pissed off, it’s almost as if people take this moral high ground from being placid about it all.

Safa Boy

Very odd. Is he trying to protect himself from criticism?
Isn't that all he ever does? When the team struggles or loses, he either blames individual players, quiet fans or the officials or he praises the opposition team to no end. It's never down to his tactics or team selection.

Quizierda

Small team coach.
Really hope he is gone in the summer. Just a shame that this guy is the United head coach...

Those comments clearly show that he is resistant to acknowledge any sort of self-critics - it's always the others. Really can't stand this man - go to Qatar or whatever!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's saying Man Utd have lost before against smaller sides and against bigger ones early on in the competition. There's nothing wrong with what he's said and I'm unsure why people are taking so much offence for it.

As for protecting the players and performance, I don't believe he truly thinks that for one second. He'd have gone in on them in the dressing room, which is why post match pressers tend to be a waste of time.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He's saying Man Utd have lost before against smaller sides and against bigger ones early on in the competition. There's nothing wrong with what he's said and I'm unsure why people are taking so much offence for it.

As for protecting the players and performance, I don't believe he truly thinks that for one second. He'd have gone in on them in the dressing room, which is why post match pressers tend to be a waste of time.
If you can't see why there's something wrong with a manager referencing the times he's beat his current employer to defend such an abysmal result against a team like Sevilla, filled with poor tactical choices, I don't know what to say to you...

SirAF

Ageist

Football fans have just seen their team lose. Offence will be taken, I suppose.

Safa Boy

I think he's trying to say that he's been here before with the other teams, yet Manchester United still progressed in later years. He was there with Porto, then United won the CL a few years later so it's not the end of the world is what I think he is trying to say.
To me it seems like he's just trying to protect himself and his image. Nothing more.

Oggmonster

He’s clearly saying it in a way to protect himself and talk himself up. It’s a baffling comment to make especially after a pathetic performance. I don’t know how people can’t see what he’s doing, he’s always played the media to suit himself and is doing the same with that comment.

Safa Boy

How about he acknowledges his dire approach to the 2 legs is what has cost us this tie, not anyone else, but him.
I think he was actually asked about that and having very few shots on target over two legs and responded by saying that's only stats. Erm, fecking yes. You can usually get a pretty good idea of a team's approach and performance by looking at the stats. He'll never admit fault. His ego is too big.

Safa Boy

He’s clearly saying it in a way to protect himself and talk himself up. It’s a baffling comment to make especially after a pathetic performance. I don’t know how people can’t see what he’s doing, he’s always played the media to suit himself and is doing the same with that comment.
Yup. He's doing exactly the same thing LVG did. Trying to protect himself by lowering expectations and referencing past achievements.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
I think he was actually asked about that and having very few shots on target over two legs and responded by saying that's only stats. Erm, fecking yes. You can usually get a pretty good idea of a team's approach and performance by looking at the stats. He'll never admit fault. His ego is too big.
To be fair, most of Sevilla's shots were from way out and no danger at all, until United went all attack and allowed them space for counters.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Maybe he is trying to say that getting knocked out isn't his fault ? That the club is used to it.
..or that it has happened before and wasn't a disaster in the end for the club. He didn't make the point very well as can be seen from the number of ways it has been taken.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
..or that it has happened before and wasn't a disaster in the end for the club. He didn't make the point very well as can be seen from the number of ways it has been taken.
Exactly the reason why I started with "Maybe" :D
Mourinho an arrogant prick, you can surely understand where I am coming from :angel:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Mourinho’s comments were just another instance of him getting it wrong yesterday. After all the other misjudgments during the tie I guess it should’ve been expected.

Safa Boy

Only one team in every champions league every year doesnt get knocked out at some point... stop getting your knickers in a twist. Bunch of babies on this forum!
I doubt you'll find a serious fan on here who honestly expected us to win the competition. There's no shame in getting knocked out by one of the best sides in Europe, especially if the team really made a go of it and gave it their all. That wasn't the case last night though. That's why people are disappointed and rightfully so.

Marcky411

You can knock what he had to say but he had aspirations, a vision, Jose doesn't because he knows best, he is a winner(his own words). Great putting Moyes and LvG down for their accomplishments but lets put things into perspective. First season Jose, 6th in the PL, nearly the easiest draw he could get in the EL, we didn't face no big/decent club along the way, Ajax reached they final, says it all if you look at their campaign this year. Congrats won it, is also the only reason we are in the CL now. Won the Shield because LvG had won the FA the year before, won the league cup (baby to the FA cup). Fast forward to this year, 2nd in the PL only because everyone around us is so inconsistent, not because we have improved so much. Had Chelsea shown any of its form of last season, or even Leicester of the season before or Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham a bit more consistency we would now be in 6th place again, maybe lower. Looking at our form of late I doubt we will win the FA Cup therefore another season with dire, negative football (worst football played in the PL at the moment, made teams like Chrystal Palace, Huddersfield, Stoke look like real teams/contenders) and no silverware.
That being said if you look at the amount of money that has been spent and what gets put out on display every week only a fool and a blind man can say after two seasons that is progress. We still have no style of play, no game plan, no real tactics besides defending and hoofing the ball forward, with side to side play at an snail's pace(I suppose that is our style if you can call it a style). LvG got booed and crucified by the press for the same boring football but Jose is called pragmatic for the same cr@p. He has really got away easy by the press and the fans compared to the previous managers, excuses are still made for him, still blaming managers of the past for his shortcomings.
The worst part about being second in the PL at the moment(normally I would be over the moon as that would mean we are contenders, compared to City not even close) is that Mourinho will get more money to keep on doing the same thing for another year.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I doubt you'll find a serious fan on here who honestly expected us to win the competition. There's no shame in getting knocked out by one of the best sides in Europe, especially if the team really made a go of it and gave it their all. That wasn't the case last night though. That's why people are disappointed and rightfully so.
There'd even be no shame of going out to Sevilla if we played much better but things the refs fecking us over, hitting the woodwork... I mean I wouldn't have had an issue if the team gave it a real go

SirAF

Ageist
You can knock what he had to say but he had aspirations, a vision, Jose doesn't because he knows best, he is a winner(his own words). Great putting Moyes and LvG down for their accomplishments but lets put things into perspective. First season Jose, 6th in the PL, nearly the easiest draw he could get in the EL, we didn't face no big/decent club along the way, Ajax reached they final, says it all if you look at their campaign this year. Congrats won it, is also the only reason we are in the CL now. Won the Shield because LvG had won the FA the year before, won the league cup (baby to the FA cup). Fast forward to this year, 2nd in the PL only because everyone around us is so inconsistent, not because we have improved so much. Had Chelsea shown any of its form of last season, or even Leicester of the season before or Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham a bit more consistency we would now be in 6th place again, maybe lower. Looking at our form of late I doubt we will win the FA Cup therefore another season with dire, negative football (worst football played in the PL at the moment, made teams like Chrystal Palace, Huddersfield, Stoke look like real teams/contenders) and no silverware.
That being said if you look at the amount of money that has been spent and what gets put out on display every week only a fool and a blind man can say after two seasons that is progress. We still have no style of play, no game plan, no real tactics besides defending and hoofing the ball forward, with side to side play at an snail's pace(I suppose that is our style if you can call it a style). LvG got booed and crucified by the press for the same boring football but Jose is called pragmatic for the same cr@p. He has really got away easy by the press and the fans compared to the previous managers, excuses are still made for him, still blaming managers of the past for his shortcomings.
The worst part about being second in the PL at the moment(normally I would be over the moon as that would mean we are contenders, compared to City not even close) is that Mourinho will get more money to keep on doing the same thing for another year.
Yeah, that’s not true.

More wins, more points, more goals than last season at the same time.

Jackxxx

I'm really pissed at Mourinho's comments. What does it mean "it's not the end of the world" or "I've sat in this chair before"? The examples with Porto and Real also doesn't make sense. I remember the matches and United played good, fight till the end, the players gave their best and the crowd was not screaming "attack, attack, attack". I also remember after the match with Madrid, the same Portugal coward saying that United deserved to win. Right now no body can say after tonight's match that United deserved to win. But a lot of people can say after Mourinho's comments that he deserves to go... This is United and he should follow the United way - passion, aggression, attack, fight. Forget the waiting from behind and stop with the long balls to Lukaku.

Red_Aaron

I've defended a lot of the shit he's said since coming here but this has rankled me.

His command of English is exceptional so I've no doubt he's said exactly what he intended to which is basically to call us perennial losers whilst pointing out that he isn't.

He could defend his tactics, play down the significance, point out that no team has a divine right and I'd have no problem (even if I disageed) but the moment he brings up his own positive record as a defence he's clearly distancing himself from the result and blaming the club. It's a disgraceful comment for me

Status
Not open for further replies.