Mourinho's post match comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

NK86

You also set there with Inter back in 2009, Inter were out, United progressed, and we didn't park the bus after a 0-0 back in Italy, we attacked from the get go and won 2-0. What's his point?
We absolutely hammered Inter in the away leg too. We were extremely unlucky not to give them a tonking that night at the San Siro.

Giggs86

That sometimes you lose.
Yes, but why bring up all the times he won at Old Trafford knocking us out and not mention that time when we knocked him out? Seems like he's implying that this club is used to being knocked out.

Giggs86

We absolutely hammered Inter in the away leg too. We were extremely unlucky not to give them a tonking that night at the San Siro.
Yep, was just watching the highlights from that game. Apparently there was a time when we could actually attack the opponent and not just sit back and pass the ball in our half.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Every post Fergie failure emphasises just how brilliant the man was.

We'd have gone 5 seasons without the title this season. The longer this goes on, the harder it'll be to reassert ourselves. The sponsorship deals will dry up inevitably, and we'll lose the only thing we have an edge over other clubs.

NK86

Every post Fergie failure emphasises just how brilliant the man was.

We'd have gone 5 seasons without the title this season. The longer this goes on, the harder it'll be to reassert ourselves. The sponsorship deals will dry up inevitably, and we'll lose the only thing we have an edge over other clubs.
Yes. People think that United's success is the only reason we are so well supported. It's the history along with the swagger in our play which brought all the attention to United. Even if Stoke win the next 5 PL titles, they won't be liked because people don't like seeing crap shite.

There won't be another Fergie for sure, but Mourinho is like the anti-Fergie. Lost all hope of him turning it around.

liamp

He is deflecting from his players and making it about him. Tactic takes some courage in the context of the result.
Why? He had his contract extended 2 months ago and he's making just about the highest salary for a coach or manager on the planet. Even if they did decide to fire him 2 months after giving him an extension, he'll still recoup a massive pay-out. This is hardly I Am Spartacus stuff.

NK86

Yep, was just watching the highlights from that game. Apparently there was a time when we could actually attack the opponent and not just sit back and pass the ball in our half.
Bet the Jose fanboys on here don't believe that playing attractive football and winning can go hand in hand. City have shown it's possible. They aren't an outlier. All the big teams in the big European leagues play fantastic football which aids them in winning. Playing good football is not a handicap as Jose has had some on here believe. It is the catalyst to becoming a great side. Cannot believe that we have to state the bloody obvious.

Get In Scholesy

Why? He had his contract extended 2 months ago and he's making just about the highest salary for a coach or manager on the planet. Even if they did decide to fire him 2 months after giving him an extension, he'll still recoup a massive pay-out. This is hardly I Am Spartacus stuff.

I don’t get how these quotes and his contract correlate to be honest. I mean, maybe I do, but damn it’s a stretch

1994Baggio10

Supports
Liverpool
I interpreted the cryptic statement as him defending his footballing philosophy. Pointing out his trademark approach has been previously successful - against no other than great attacking Man Utd teams of the past.

liamp

I don’t get how these quotes and his contract correlate to be honest. I mean, maybe I do, but damn it’s a stretch
I'm saying how does it take courage for him to deflect attention to himself? What's the downside for him? His job is secure. He's not putting himself at any risk.

Giggs86

Bet the Jose fanboys on here don't believe that playing attractive football and winning can go hand in hand. City have shown it's possible. They aren't an outlier. All the big teams in the big European leagues play fantastic football which aids them in winning. Playing good football is not a handicap as Jose has had some on here believe. It is the catalyst to becoming a great side. Cannot believe that we have to state the bloody obvious.
I was defending Mourinho all this time and was willing to go with his style as long as it kept giving us results, or at least having the desire and the plan to get the result, but today was a wake-up call. I used to blame the players and not Jose, but today you could clearly tell that the players were not on the same page as he was. If the players don't believe in what he wants them to do, how can we achieve anything?

Seems like it is the same problem as with LVG, we hire stubborn managers that can't adapt and will rather keep their style than to actually do what's best for the team. Don't know if I can get over today's shambolic performance. At home, no attacking plan other than hoof it to Fellaini, sitting deep and defending, yes, defending a 0-0 score.

Honestly I can't recall a worse United performance in the CL knockouts. Yes we were knocked out many times but even when we got knocked out by Real twice, Bayern twice, Milan - every time we were on the front foot and played top football.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
He is deflecting from his players and making it about him. Tactic takes some courage in the context of the result.
I don't believe he would do this considering how openly critical of his players he has been at times.
Not only that, but using the ‘chairs’ comment he’s basically separated himself as an entity and attributed the failure to the club; even had the balls to point out the occasions he himself knocked out Manchester United with Porto and Real to achieve this effect. It’s not the language of someone who’s willingly taking responsibility for anything.

Fridge chutney

Strange thing to say. His comments will not endear himself to the fans. I hope he reflects on his comments and realises how daft they are. He needs to be smarter.

But much more shocking is the performance. Why did all of our players become shite (Lukaku the notable exception)? Terrible performance from the manager and the players.

Get In Scholesy

I'm saying how does it take courage for him to deflect attention to himself? What's the downside for him? His job is secure. He's not putting himself at any risk.
It’s not supposed to put him at risk of his job. It has put him directly back in the line of fire by pundits and fans. It courageous because just 48 hours ago everyone was praising him for his set up and victory against Liverpool, especially on the back of the come back from behind victories against Chelsea and Palace. It was all fine until yesterday’s result. Making himself the talking point deflects a lot of criticism towards his players.

I don't believe he would do this considering how openly critical of his players he has been at times.
He has been critical, no doubt. Even after the Chelsea and Palace come backs he had criticisms. But to criticize the players in public after the victory against Liverpool would be madness. I’m sure all the players are deflated as this game was more important than the previous weekend but we fecked it up. He has to get them to focus on next match while everyone focusses on Mourinho.

liamp

Apparently he said this after the game:

"When a team win, everyone wins, but when a team loses, the coach loses," he said to MEGA TV in Spain.

"It's the same everywhere, in England, in Spain and in China.

"I have lost and clearly I have made mistakes."

So maybe he is capable of taking the blame, to some degree at least.
Means nothing ultimately. Admitting your mistakes is one thing, being able to change your ways is another. This won't prompt him to do anything.

Fridge chutney

It’s not supposed to put him at risk of his job. It has put him directly back in the line of fire by pundits and fans. It courageous because just 48 hours ago everyone was praising him for his set up and victory against Liverpool, especially on the back of the come back from behind victories against Chelsea and Palace. It was all fine until yesterday’s result. Making himself the talking point deflects a lot of criticism towars his players.

He has been critical, no doubt. Even after the Chelsea and Palace come backs he had criticisms. But to criticize the players in public after the victory against Liverpool would be madness. I’m sure all the players are deflated as this game was more important than the previous weekend but we fecked it up. He has to get them to focus on next match while everyone focusses on Mourinho.
Good points, and smart moves if true.

Behind closed doors he better be giving the players a right bollocking after that shocking performance.

Get In Scholesy

Not only that, but using the ‘chairs’ comment he’s basically separated himself as an entity and attributed the failure to the club; even had the balls to point out the occasions he himself knocked out Manchester United with Porto and Real to achieve this effect. It’s not the language of someone who’s willingly taking responsibility for anything.

Well, if you want to get into metaphorical interpretations, one can assume he is taking responsibility by saying I was responsible for them being kicked out against Porto and Madrid, and I am responsible for it now.

But it gets silly at that point. Analysis and interpretations is what he wants, the more people talk about this shit comment the less they discuss the performance, which was abysmal.

liamp

It’s not supposed to put him at risk of his job. It has put him directly back in the line of fire by pundits and fans. It courageous because just 48 hours ago everyone was praising him for his set up and victory against Liverpool, especially on the back of the come back from behind victories against Chelsea and Palace. It was all fine until yesterday’s result. Making himself the talking point deflects a lot of criticism towars his players.
I'm not trying to antagonize you, but courage is just entirely the wrong word to use here. Courage implies this required some level of bravery from him. This is a no-lose situation for him. If the worst he faces from this statement is that he's in the line of fire of pundits and fans, I think Jose will gladly stomach that. Football pundits and football supporters are the two most fickle bunch of people on the planet, and judging by the reaction on here, he was back in the line of fire far long before he mouthed off in a press conference.

Get In Scholesy

I'm not trying to antagonize you, but courage is just entirely the wrong word to use here. Courage implies this required some level of bravery from him. This is a no-lose situation for him. If the worst he faces from this statement is that he's in the line of fire of pundits and fans, I think Jose will gladly stomach that. Football pundits and football supporters are the two most fickle bunch of people on the planet, and judging by the reaction on here, he was back in the line of fire far long before he mouthed off in a press conference.

That’s fair enough mate. Courage or whatever the word I could have used was not necessarily the basis on the point I intended make. Just wanted to have some input on why he said what he said. I’m sure he didn’t want us to lose, thus he isn’t gloating about previous achievements. He just wanted to make this about him and not his players. Which is how some managers operate at certain times.

liamp

That’s fair enough mate. Courage or whatever the word I could have used was not necessarily the basis on the point I intended make. Just wanted to have some input on why he said what he said. I’m sure he didn’t want us to lose, thus he isn’t gloating about previous achievements. He just wanted to make this about him and not his players. Which is how some managers operate at certain times.
It's no problem. The idea of seeing the word courage associated with Mourinho after a performance like that over 2 legs just about triggered me to death.

Kapardin

Meh, it is just that he has absolutely nowhere to hide. Sevilla are not exactly Barcelona, yet we hardly disturbed their GK over two legs and lost to them meekly while playing hideous football with the wrong tactics and selection.

Even he is struggling to come up with an excuse, so basically being defiant.

suhaylah

He has lost all respect with that comment. Mourinho you mo.ron.. You are not worthy to be Manchester United manager:mad:

DocRockter

This probably was just his way of venting after the game.. No worries from me about that, personally I would had gone even more vicious..

Nori-

A stubborn little man who will literally see everything around him go up in flames before changing his ways or admitting he was wrong.

Saying United are used to being knocked out rather than admitting that was one of the worst performances from United this season, says it all. Selfish little.......

Shiva87

That is such a poor comment, it shows why United can never allow Jose to have a free reign and a long term career here.

He used to have a big second season and a third season meltdown. It looks like the meltdown has started already - and we never got the brilliant season!

It's March, and now all we have to play for is second spot and an FA Cup. That's not really progress!

VP

Those quotes are a disgrace - almost sackable in itself.

Imagine if Moyes had said that.

Castia

Wow...what a disgrace.

Trying to stroke his ego by reminding people he’s knocked us out if the champions league in the past after that shit last night.

hes brought some stability back to the club but I’m getting tired of his negative, boring shit style if play to be honest. I think an attacking coach would have a field day with this squad, we’ve got some quality players that aren’t performing for the current coach.

midnightmare

Not sure why everyone's so het up about this. He's not taken blame, but equally, hasn't thrown anyone under the bus. He's made himself the talking point and will take all the heat for this shower - which he's acknowledged and which is also fair. Frankly, he's right in a way - s*it happens. We fecked up and the play was dire. Against Liverpool in H2, you could see Mourinho screaming at the team to get forward while they continued to sit back and defend. He didn't call anyone out on that and this time too, he hasn't. I'm not in the camp that will blindly defend him, but feel that people are over-reacting. He could have worded things better - but how many times do managers come out of a loss and say, "Hey, it was my fault, the entire setup was wrong and I got everything wrong and the team couldn't dig me out of it if they wanted to"?

For all those asking for Mourinho to be sacked - either you were missing from the threads when we beat Chelsea and Liverpool or you've changed your tune. At that time, everyone was talking about his getting tactics and formation spot on etc. Managers don't turn to from hero to cack to hero on a weekly basis. All said and done, this squad is still developing and still has a long way to go. Should Jose have got it further? Perhaps. But it would be madness to sack him for post-match comments after a disappointing loss.

Also, reading this, you'd believe we always played cavalier football under Fergie and never suffered early exits in Europe, winning or reaching the finals every season. All of that is untrue. We've had even group stage exits under Fergie and he too was prone to parking the bus ever so often - just that it was called "brilliant defence" when he did it (He's as close to anything I'd consider worshipping, but let's not lose perspective!).

Bottomline: We lost, we're pi**ed, Jose is pi**ed and things weren't ideal. Doesn't mean all of us collectively lose our sh*t and all sense of perspective - specially over words uttered in the immediate aftermath but a man know to take losses badly.

Shiva87

I suppose it is progress unless you completely ignore the Moyes and LVG eras.
Not really. Moyes got to the same spot in the Champions League in one of his two seasons, and LVG also got us back into the CL only to go out in the meekest way possible. This wasn't a knock out tired against a top European side that we lost, it was Seville.

midnightmare

That is such a poor comment, it shows why United can never allow Jose to have a free reign and a long term career here.
Umm... so one last-16 exit is evidence of this? Really? Where's the perspective? Or did you feel the same way even when we beat Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal this season? This when we sit second (5 clear of third) behind the most ludicrously extravagant club in the history of the game, on a run which is truly unprecedented?

He used to have a big second season and a third season meltdown. It looks like the meltdown has started already - and we never got the brilliant season!
Yup, he also used to get rid of all the unproven players, bringing in new and expensive players, driving them relentlessly to the absolute limit in the second season - leading to the meltdown in Season 3. Here, he's trusted the younger players, bought fewer than elsewhere, brought in academy players as well and gone slower - leading to Chelsea fans cribbing that he's "treating United far more like a long-term project than he ever did Chelsea". Had he ditched Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Lingard etc. as "too inconsistent right now", he'd possibly be challenging, but be vilified for breaking with "the United Way". Now, instead, he's being criticized for the obvious downside to a more gradual approach. Can't have it both ways...

It's March, and now all we have to play for is second spot and an FA Cup. That's not really progress!
Because it never happened to Fergie? Because Moyes and LvG were always in the hunt? Or because your expectations have been raised on account of Jose's performances since he took over? For me, the disappointment comes from the fact that I've started believing we can do better - and in the cold light of day, I will admit it's because of how Jose has done for us since taking over. We're no longer a sh*te team capable of nothing but boring sideways passing / endless aimless crossing. So when something goes against plan, suck it up and look at the bigger picture. To deny that we've progressed is strange when you take things in perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.