Mourinho's team selections

Andersons Dietician

Problem is our probable best 11 doesn’t play the football Jose wants to play and they probably aren’t best suited for what he wants to do. I’d even go as far to say some of the players he has bought don’t suit the football he wants to play.

Suvvernmanc

I think he lost the dressing room a while ago. Not with everyone, but quite a few.

There are certain players that want to see their contracts out with us before retiring like Young, matic etc. And others that dont want to move at this stage of their careers like Mata, Fellaini Jones, Smalling, Rojo because they wont get a better/bigger club than us. Lukaku even though he is still young fits in to that category as he is too often playing average and probably won't get in a CL or top 6 team. These are all the players that are not showing enough quality on the pitch or desire. (Maybe slightly harsh on Mata)

These are also the players that seem undroppable by Jose regardless of performances. I can guarantee these lot have backed Jose in the dressing room for there own agendas.

Bailly, Sanchez, Valencia, Andreas and probably a few others have been benched alot or not picked at all. Its almost certain these players have said something to criticise Jose or his style of football in one way or another and have been sidelined for it. Jose has always tried to get a siege mentality within his teams and Its not worked with us. This has led to lineups including players that are in very poor form but, to the detriment of the team, get regular minutes just because they are on Joses good side.

Jose talked yesterday after the game about lack of tempo and desire. Matic has never shown that he is capable of quick tempo football, never in his career. It's not his game. So why pick him? Same with Fellaini coming on to change the game or lukaku being up top by himself. Is that going to speed up our game? No it is not! Yet we have Fred on the bench whos game is all about quick passing and ball retention. Same with Herrera whos played well in recent weeks who gets dropped completely from the squad. Same with Andreas. Jose hasn't got a clue about fast football. He never has. Anyone who understands tactics in football can see that. Our lineups are predictably defensive, designed to styfle the opposition. Regardless of who they are. That's why we scrape victories against the likes of Juventus and then struggle against Crystal palace or Newcastle.

Arka_BleedingRed

Choosing outdated/unsuited managers with a past-it CV, unable to adapt/adjust to the players, heads too big to fit into their bodies will destroy any team. Stubbornness and Jose/LVG go hand in hand. Now, coupled with an inept board who chose them in the 1st place, the problem is growing bigger.

Kostov

He has been here for 2 and a half years, he doesn't have a fixed starting 11, he has players that he tolerates no matter how shit they are, and he would play a Darmian who is out of the door for over a year instead of the young talented Dalot who he himself bought for 20m and described as one of the best young RB in Europe. That's Jose for you. It has been and it will continue to be his downfall here, which pains me to say.

Murray3007

personally think he's trying to get the sack now, and the players are buying in to it as well, our midfield has no bite for example and are so slow, would rather have a midfield 3 of Herrera, Pereira and Fred. give us some energy and bite in the middle of the park, thought Darmain actually put in 3/4 brilliant crosses the other day to be fair but still a weird decision considering Jose has tried since he got here to get rid of him and we have a young RB waiting in the wings ready to play.

Oneunited26

Fellaini has been here for 5 years and he’s just a metaphor for the current state of the club. Slightly above average, lacks intensity, plays safe, always played out of position. Why is he starting as a CM? He can’t pass, he can’t tackle, he can’t run with the ball. The only thing he is good for is getting the ball out the air and holding the ball up, he was a number 10 before we signed, play him in that position or don’t sign him.

Apparently he works hard so his performance is accepted by certain fans even though he hasn’t got the talent to play for Manchester United.

Smalling is exactly the same, takes an age to pass the ball because he has to position his body before passing, plays safe, can’t run out from the back. He is a major reason why we can’t counter attack or move the ball forward quickly. Watch him in the next game. He gets the ball, 9/10 he plays a side ways pass to Shaw or Young. Even if he has 30 yards of space in front of him he never moves forward with the ball, he passes it.

Put it this way would either player get in any other top 6 club? Smalling doesn’t even get picked for England yet it good enough for this club? Fellaini is a substitute for Belgium. Says it all.
If we had a manager who was serious and the club was, young, Jones, smalling, Valencia, lukaku, matic and fellaini would be kicked out the door. And if I’m honest these are some of the backbone of his united vision, he was wrong about pogba, Martial and shaw and look how they have saved his backside. Keeping these players is like keeping Carrol, djemba x2, kleberson Miller and bellion, and throwing a young Ronaldo and Rooney under the bus, that is what the 2018 mourinho edition would do. We playing a led boot alcoholic midfield who need four touches before passing 5 years, a defense which is a farce. The day after losing to city they announce they looking to extend Young’s contract, with already smalling, Jones and fellaini having contracts extended with the latter already extended.

doriandun

The Glazers are trying to sell the club, think about it ,offering new contract to dross, reduces their outlay, using the manager and players as assets, to make the club look more fruitful to potential suitors.

MrBest

Let's stop talking about his team selection. Just look at our squad now. I think we have the worst squad in the top 6 teams. Our strikers are misfiring, our wingers all loves to left wing, no right winger for last 4-5 season, slow and static midfield, shaky CB and wing back who can't put in a decent cross. Only our goalkeepers deserve to wear this shirt. I seriously can't understand from Moyes to Van Gaal to Mourinho, none of these managers can address our problem. I am shock and speechless on how every manager cannot address our problem. Sad times to be United fans.
I dont think we have the worst squad, i actually believe we have some really talentes individuals. Pogba, martial, fred, rashford, shaw, Sanchez, Bailey and de gea should be good enough to start for most top teams. Lingard, ander, matic, peierra and lukaku are strong squad players to give depth. Granted i think we have some players who are not good enough like Smalling, young and darmian but as a whole this squad should comfortably be challenging for top 4 and with a few tweaks and signings, should not be 14 points off the top. We should be where Spurs are. Jose is messing with the players heads with stupid comments and the players are not putting in a shift for there manager, i agree with jose that they are showing no heart but no heart for him. Would i want to play for this jose? No i wouldn't. If i was not his favourite and made one mistake who knows when i would play next. His expectations are not clear.

GBBQ

The Glazers are trying to sell the club, think about it ,offering new contract to dross, reduces their outlay, using the manager and players as assets, to make the club look more fruitful to potential suitors.
Anyone buying United is going to be more interested in the commercial potential of the United brand, not whether Mata signs on for another few years.

Raw

It's pretty baffling how we still don't have an idea of our best starting 11. GK is obviously De Gea. CB it's Smalling plus whoever (though at least it seems like Lindelof is cementing his place). Fullbacks we have Shaw at LB and whoever at RB. Midfield it's Pogba, Matic and whoever. Then for a striker, sometimes it's Lukaku then it's Sanchez but now it's Lukaku but then also Rashford maybe? Left we have Martial but after a few bad games it could be someone completely different. RW is a complete mystery. That's like half the team that's still undecided.

City have a clear idea what their best team is, or at least 9 or 10 definite starters with the others rotating. Liverpool have a consistent defence and attack, with some midfield rotation. Spurs and Chelsea have a pretty set team most of the time.

It really shows how Mourinho has failed to understand what to do with this team and how to integrate his signings into it. £50m Fred on the bench FFS!

Canagel

I think he lost the dressing room a while ago. Not with everyone, but quite a few.

There are certain players that want to see their contracts out with us before retiring like Young, matic etc. And others that dont want to move at this stage of their careers like Mata, Fellaini Jones, Smalling, Rojo because they wont get a better/bigger club than us. Lukaku even though he is still young fits in to that category as he is too often playing average and probably won't get in a CL or top 6 team. These are all the players that are not showing enough quality on the pitch or desire. (Maybe slightly harsh on Mata)

These are also the players that seem undroppable by Jose regardless of performances. I can guarantee these lot have backed Jose in the dressing room for there own agendas.

Bailly, Sanchez, Valencia, Andreas and probably a few others have been benched alot or not picked at all. Its almost certain these players have said something to criticise Jose or his style of football in one way or another and have been sidelined for it. Jose has always tried to get a siege mentality within his teams and Its not worked with us. This has led to lineups including players that are in very poor form but, to the detriment of the team, get regular minutes just because they are on Joses good side.

Jose talked yesterday after the game about lack of tempo and desire. Matic has never shown that he is capable of quick tempo football, never in his career. It's not his game. So why pick him? Same with Fellaini coming on to change the game or lukaku being up top by himself. Is that going to speed up our game? No it is not! Yet we have Fred on the bench whos game is all about quick passing and ball retention. Same with Herrera whos played well in recent weeks who gets dropped completely from the squad. Same with Andreas. Jose hasn't got a clue about fast football. He never has. Anyone who understands tactics in football can see that. Our lineups are predictably defensive, designed to styfle the opposition. Regardless of who they are. That's why we scrape victories against the likes of Juventus and then struggle against Crystal palace or Newcastle.
A sign he has turned us into an underdog team. The games that require us to be to the assertive team and the expectation is we're going to hold the majority of the ball are the ones we have no clue in. We did better at Chelsea and Juventus because there was no pressure on us to dominate, we rode our luck and few players stepped ie Martial, Mata, Fellaini. Whenever we win any game it could always be attributed to 2/3 players turning up in a spell of the game not necessarily the whole team playing well in a cohesive system which gets the best from every individual

worldgonemad

His selections are bizarre at best at the moment . The weird thing is , i like Jose . hes a proven winner . When i look at your squad , genuinly i see a comfortable top 4 side on paper , even given the strength in the league this season . All of your players are established internationals , mostly in their prime or not far off . Good strength in depth , good competition for places . It baffles me how poorly the squad is pulling together , how dis jointed the play is , how inconsistent the team selection is . I dont just mean this season either , this has been since Jose arrived. Sanchez looks a shadow of the player he was at arsenal . Lukaku looks short of confidence and ideas .Matic must wonder where his form has gone . What about Mata , i thought he played well recently , then seems to be dropped . Not sure where it goes for you guys at the moment . I like Jose , think he is good for the premier league , but i,m not sure hes good for united at the moment . I wonder if something off the field is affecting his selections , he seems to have an axe to grind maybe regarding transfer policy , also seems to be spoiling for a fight with certain players ( currently Pogba in and out of squad , same for Sanchez and Lukaku , previously Shaw , martial, Miki etc etc etc )
Truly i think something needs to happen , but like most here not sure what . Throwing more money at the team though will not solve the problem . I think most of your players are easily good enough to compete for trophies and europe so why they consistently underperform is beyond me . This team finished second last season yet look a country mile off doing that again anytime soon

Johan07

Lukaku, has just come back from an injury, the idea was to give him minutes, before the busy December, Sanchez has also just come back from injury, and was not back in training till Friday, as Chile played Wednesday, Matic is playing as we do not have another defensive midfielder in the team.

Mourinho can not play 4-2-3-1 as the team has no deep lying playmaker, playing 4-3-3 is also an issue as there are no right forwards or wingers in the team, and shunting Mata, Linguard and Rashford there is counter productive, the team does not have a quality right back, so the opposition know that they have a free reign when they attack our right hand side, and just stiffle our left.

The team only has one recognised left back, who is ok going forward, but can not defend, couple that with Pogba not really interested in defending or should i say protecting his left back, you have slight issues, just look at the amount of goals this season alone we have conceded on that side of the pitch.

The thing that alot of people have over look is why was Mckenna and Carrick brought into the first team setup, could they be plants by Woodward, to undermine the manager.

Even if Poch is the next manager, he will have to sort out the right hand side, will probably bring in a central defender, and Pogba will be out the door, as Pogba is no Erikssen or Dele Ali, as Poch likes to play 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2.
The Caf: always good for a laugh!

GBBQ

A sign he has turned us into an underdog team. The games that require us to be to the assertive team and the expectation is we're going to hold the majority of the ball are the ones we have no clue in. We did better at Chelsea and Juventus because there was no pressure on us to dominate, we rode our luck and few players stepped ie Martial, Mata, Fellaini. Whenever we win any game it could always be attributed to 2/3 players turning up in a spell of the game not necessarily the whole team playing well in a cohesive system which gets the best from every individual
Exactly, this is what SAF did so well, we were efficient at beating the weaker teams which reduced the margin of error for the chasing pack. Mou can complain about not being able to compete with City but the truth is he only has to do that twice a season in the league. Its his inability to compete with Brighton and West ham that is the issue.

Josep Dowling

It's pretty baffling how we still don't have an idea of our best starting 11. GK is obviously De Gea. CB it's Smalling plus whoever (though at least it seems like Lindelof is cementing his place). Fullbacks we have Shaw at LB and whoever at RB. Midfield it's Pogba, Matic and whoever. Then for a striker, sometimes it's Lukaku then it's Sanchez but now it's Lukaku but then also Rashford maybe? Left we have Martial but after a few bad games it could be someone completely different. RW is a complete mystery. That's like half the team that's still undecided.

City have a clear idea what their best team is, or at least 9 or 10 definite starters with the others rotating. Liverpool have a consistent defence and attack, with some midfield rotation. Spurs and Chelsea have a pretty set team most of the time.

It really shows how Mourinho has failed to understand what to do with this team and how to integrate his signings into it. £50m Fred on the bench FFS!
This is why I don't understand how anyone can still be behind the manager. 2 and half years at the club and there are still question marks over 5 positions in our first 11. He has been given the money, he's just bought very very badly. Maybe we haven't spent the same as City or Chelsea over the last few years but somehow Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal can manage to play half decent football.

Our last two major signings of Sanchez and Fred both haven't started for weeks and barely play. We can't improve if we keep signing bench warmers, especially expensive ones! If players need time to adapt (the excuse given by many for Fred not starting) go and buy players from the Premier League. I can't help but feel the only reason we got both was because City were after them. We all know City wanted Sanchez and Fred was linked with City all of January, then out of no where we had signed him.

LoneStar

I don't get it why, out of the blue, Lukaku starts again. We've played some ok football and even scored some goals recently and not one of them involved him. What does he see in him ?
I am wondering what it would take for Matic to be subbed during games, never mind being dropped from the starting lineup
It's baffling why he continues with Lukaku and Matic when it's obvious they are completely out of form. It's not like we don't have other options - Sanchez, Rashford (both make the team play better and have 100x better movement) and Herrera, Fred, AP, heck even Fellaini.

This sort of blind loyalty(?) will lead to his sack. If you think about it, not one player he has signed has been great, especially for the money we have paid.

LoneStar

The sad part is that this team with our defensive manager with his defensive football has conceded 21 goals so far!

We only win when we go all out attack, caring little about conceding, because we are a goal or two down. How can he not understand this idk!

RedDevil@84

Did Mourinho say there would be changes because of the team's performance in Palace match? It is beyond ridiculous that he still has no clue whom to start. Reactive changes won't do a great deal. He has to be pro-active and get a working XI (based on form, not what happened last season)

Yagami

Good post resistant
What is United's strongest XI currently?
No one knows. Not even José. 3 years in.

All we know is de Gea in net, Smaliing has to be one of the CBs just for the fact he can head the ball, Pogba and Martial. That's it. I'd also argue Shaw at LB but some still have their doubts.

luke511

In my opinion..

Martial Sanchez Lukaku/Mata
Pogba Pereira
Fred
Shaw Smalling Bailly Dalot
De Gea
Right wing is an obvious hole that needs addressing asap, but for now Lukaku would play better there as a wide forward than he does as striker in my opinion, if not him then either Mata or Lingard.

Also let's not turn this into a strongest XI thread :lol:

Raw

You're gonna get many different answers because nobody really knows. My opinion of the players that absolutely would be in our strongest 11:

-------------- De Gea
??? --- Smalling --- ??? --- Shaw
---------------- ???
----- ??? --------------- Pogba
??? ---------- ??? -------- Martial

The rest are just down to who's on better form at the moment, or are Mourinho's undroppables (Matic/Lukaku).

RB - Young or Valencia. Hopefully Dalot if he shows his potential.
CB - Lindelof or Bailly
DM - Matic, Herrera or Fellaini
CM - Fellaini, Herrera or Fred
RW - Mata, Lingard, Sanchez or Rashford
ST - Lukaku, Sanchez or Rashford

From Mourinho's perspective it's most likely Young, Lindelof, Matic, Fellaini, Mata/Lingard and Lukaku in those positions.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's baffling why he continues with Lukaku and Matic when it's obvious they are completely out of form. It's not like we don't have other options - Sanchez, Rashford (both make the team play better and have 100x better movement) and Herrera, Fred, AP, heck even Fellaini.

This sort of blind loyalty(?) will lead to his sack. If you think about it, not one player he has signed has been great, especially for the money we have paid.
Another sign among many others that he's completely clueless and out of his depth

El Zoido

His team selections are so baffling the only logical conclusion I can draw is that he’s deliberately trying to sabotage the team and get sacked.

wolvored

This is why I don't understand how anyone can still be behind the manager. 2 and half years at the club and there are still question marks over 5 positions in our first 11. He has been given the money, he's just bought very very badly. Maybe we haven't spent the same as City or Chelsea over the last few years but somehow Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal can manage to play half decent football.

Our last two major signings of Sanchez and Fred both haven't started for weeks and barely play. We can't improve if we keep signing bench warmers, especially expensive ones! If players need time to adapt (the excuse given by many for Fred not starting) go and buy players from the Premier League. I can't help but feel the only reason we got both was because City were after them. We all know City wanted Sanchez and Fred was linked with City all of January, then out of no where we had signed him.
I have thought this as well. Mou hasn't a clue how to use them so it does look like this

Andersons Dietician

Like many have said no one really knows but I’d imagine something like this.

DDG
Dalot Smalling Lindelof Shaw
Herrera
Fred. Pogba
Mata Sanchez Martial
Even here there are a lot of questions. RB we have 4 options, Dalot haven’t seen much but he can’t be worse than Young or Valencia. who really knows about striker and RW. Arguably maybe Lukaku up top with Sanchez on the right might be best.

El Zoido

I have thought this as well. Mou hasn't a clue how to use them so it does look like this
Chelsea used to buy our targets back in their first Mourinho era. It happened enough times that people noticed and talked about it, even though it was never proven. It would seem like it’s happening again with another Jose side, it’s very odd.

Fergietime@99

I don't get it why, out of the blue, Lukaku starts again. We've played some ok football and even scored some goals recently and not one of them involved him. What does he see in him ?
I am wondering what it would take for Matic to be subbed during games, never mind being dropped from the starting lineup
There are only 2 ways it seems that matic would be subbed off. Either if he gets injured or gets himself a red card.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
De gea- Dalot, Lindelof, Bailly, Shaw- Herrera, Pogba, Fred- Martial, Alexis, Rashford must be our first 11. With Mata and Pereira as first subs.
It is our most talented squad which would play quick attacking football. Add to this team new right winger and central defender and you have squad for PL title.
Playing hard working players like Matic, Lingard, Smalling, Lukaku and Fellaini is killing any chance for playing football. And that is the main reason why Jose is losing my support.

peridigm

Watch him start Matic as a CB instead of a natural CB now that Lindelof is out for a few games.

Willyswords

Still there are some who still talks about who we should start. Please! That’s our tactics that need to be changed. Possession football. Inverted Wingers or wide wingers? how to position and move? Closing the gaps among midfielders and forwards.

With our best eleven given to whoever it is, no result will be out if same tactics deployed as Mourinho’s.

Last edited by a moderator:

steffyr2

There's a theme running thru this thread and most of the other ones that Mourinho is stupid/ irrational and makes bad decisions.
How about we assume he isn't stupid and he isn't irrational and he isn't senile.... what would that mean for your opinion?

Sir Scott McToMinay

I don’t know, compared to some of the teams SAF put out over the years, Mourinho’s selections don’t seem odd at all to me, the only difference is that SAF was beating Arsenal at home with O’shea and Gibson in midfield and Mourinho can’t beat a piss poor Palace at home with a stronger side.

Lentwood

A thread about Jose’s team selections at this point given the huge foundational problems at our club is akin to re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic as it sank into the Atlantic