Mourinho's team selections

sunama

Baghdad Bob
His persistance on his favorites is fecking up the team selection. I honestly don't get why he has enough courage to talk about players competing on positions or their maturity when he is giving a guaranteed position for 90 minutes for the worst players in the squad just because they are his favorites. Terrible way of management. It's LVG and Rooney fecking all over again.
Rooney was LVG's undoing. He put all his faith/trust/hope in Rooney, who failed to deliver.
Jose is now doing the same with Matic and Lukaku, who are consistently the worst players on the pitch.

I think that his assistants, need to speak with Jose in a locked room and tell him that if he doesn't change something, he'll be fired and probably Carrick/McKenna will go along with him. When LVG was in charge, I did say that Giggs should've told LVG the same thing, but I guess, he never did. Some people said that Giggs may have privately wanted LVG gone, so that he could take over. A few months later, Giggs was removed from his post.

IMO, the assistant managers need to keep the main manager, honest. If the main man is going wrong, the assistants need to tell the main man that he is going down the wrong path.
Even SAF used to put a lot of trust into his assistants.

Something has to change and right now and I just don't see any sign of change coming.

Either Jose has lost his marbles or he doesn't care if he is fired and doesn't care about winning, any more.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I seriously can't understand from Moyes to Van Gaal to Mourinho, none of these managers can address our problem. I am shock and speechless on how every manager cannot address our problem. Sad times to be United fans.
I said this in another thread, that every manager we hire, underperforms.
I'm not talking about underperforming by our standard, but by his own, previous standards. It's as if they come to MUFC and their abilities are "reduced".
The same goes for players. They do well at their previous club. They join us and in the few week or two, they do well, then they decline.

luke511

I'm not talking about underperforming by our standard, but by his own, previous standards. It's as if they come to MUFC and their abilities are "reduced".
The same goes for players. They do well at their previous club. They join us and in the few week or two, they do well, then they decline.
Moyes, LVG and Mourinho are all very conservative managers stuck in their once successful bubble, showing extreme stubbornness when it comes to change. Recruitment is where the club has fecked up the most, hiring these 3 dinosaurs one after another. I honestly think if we hire a forward thinking manager that shows versatility and warmth, and values technical football, we'll be back on the road to where we should be.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He picks to much hard working players instead of talented. I don't think that any other manager would play with Matic, Lukaku and Lingard instead of Fred, Alexis or Rashford. Also Jose must stop rotating. Every game it is new game plan, new formation and new first 11.
The thing is that Matic and Lukaku aren't even hard working. They are two of our lazier players (particularly Lukaku). The likes of Herrera, Fred and even probably Pereira are all much harder working than Matic, and Sanchez and Rashford work harder than Lukaku. That's what is so strange about all of this. If they did work harder it would at least explain why Mourinho made that decision (even if most of us didn't agree with it). But they don't, so why?

Combine those two lazy players with Pogba and Martial (both of whom can also be guilty of it, but who at least provide enough going forward to make up for it) and that's four of the front six who can tend to be bypassed quite easily. If Mata is playing he'll normally try a bit harder but is very limited in that aspect, so it's just getting worse. No wonder we are just so static both on and off the ball.

Foxbatt

Moyes, LVG and Mourinho are all very conservative managers stuck in their once successful bubble, showing extreme stubbornness when it comes to change. Recruitment is where the club has fecked up the most, hiring these 3 dinosaurs one after another. I honestly think if we hire a forward thinking manager that shows versatility and warmth, and values technical football, we'll be back on the road to where we should be.
Spot on. This is our biggest issue. SAF never coached during the later part of his managerial career. He left it to Quiroz, Phelan and later to Rene. He was just keeping an eye on things.The other three came and tried to destroy whatever philosophy and style we had been playing for such a long time and tried to implement their own thinking which was not what Manchester United wanted or needed. For that the Board has to take all the responsibility.
I do understand in a way why they got LVG and later Jose but in hindsight I now feel they should have kept LVG a couple of more years. His teams are not boring at all and never has been even though he played possession football.

luke511

Fellaini and Matic in defensive midfield vs Young Boys at home, genuinely makes me sick. Try something new you cnut.

JMack1234

Heard Mourinho on the radio going on about how his is a must win for us. Makes this team selection even more surprising. Looks like he's doubling down for me.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Starting his excuses early I see... The guy is so insecure about everything. Basically justifying his selection by saying "you guys kept asking why they aren't in so I'm putting them in so you'll see why they didn't play before". No backbone whatsoever. Even if he goes by that dumb logic though, it's still wrong. You can't put 1 player people have asked for and then surround them by shit and expect them to do well.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
So he's picking players based on what the fans are saying? It's almost like he's setting Rashford up to fail....
Yet he still persists with Matic and he must know we want him on the bench. What is wrong with him?:rolleyes:

Fosu-Mens

Fellaini and Matic in defensive midfield vs Young Boys at home, genuinely makes me sick. Try something new you cnut.
With the team being unable to create a chance in open play against the mighty YB, Mourinho has shown his brilliance in putting on two towers that will do their job on set pieces. And having Lukaku and McTominho on the bench as a back up plan if we need to bolster up on defensive set pieces clearly shows you how flexible Mourinho's set up is. IF we had Rory Delap to take throw ins, this team would have been complete. Surely Woody can cough up some dough to tempt Delap out of his retirement.

So where's Pereira? And why hasn't Matic been dropped if he's listening to the fans So much?

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic
Starting his excuses early I see... The guy is so insecure about everything. Basically justifying his selection by saying "you guys kept asking why they aren't in so I'm putting them in so you'll see why they didn't play before". No backbone whatsoever. Even if he goes by that dumb logic though, it's still wrong. You can't put 1 player people have asked for and then surround them by shit and expect them to do well.
lot a shite from Joe as usual

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
So where's Pereira? And why hasn't Matic been dropped if he's listening to the fans So much?
The man is full of BS. I would not want to be around or play for him. Must be excruciating.

buckooo1978

the arsehole will be in his element if Rashford or Fred play poorly

Kapardin

He starts making statements like these whenever he's under pressure. The draw against Palace elicited boos from the crowd, so this is his way of hitting back.

Crashoutcassius

Team selection is fine. Mourinho isn't out of his depth in modern football. He is and always has been a negative manager and be can no longer get these players bought into it. In terms of results he is, probably, still top 4 managers in the world, when he can get players bought into his win at all costs philosophy

Melville Red

Well looking at tonight’s line up is Mourinho just looking for a draw? With Jones recalled it will have to be score draw. I despair when I see his name on the team sheet.

EasyE

A must win game and he starts two lanky DMs. No one like Mata to control the tempo against a rubbish team at HOME. What an actual joke.

Red_Aaron

The problem for me is he seems more concerned with making political statements via his selections than actually doing anything tactical.

He used to have pretty much the best reputation in the game for setting up and implementing a plan from game to game but now it's more about sending message's to players or the board

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Enough is enough. He must stop with this ridiculous selection. Lingard, Rashford and Matic need to be dropped. Rashford on the bench. Those two out of squad. This is just ridiculous.
Against Saints i want Fred, Alexis anf Mata. I want technique and dynamic players. I can't stand it anymore. Two many completely useless player in squad.

Last edited:

ErranMorad

He has clearly given up & is openly asking to be sacked. Still the nonsense continues. Unbelievable.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Would have been better to start with the strongest team (Pogba and Mata on), try to finish the game early and rest them instead of waiting an awful lot but we won at the end thanks to a fluke of a goal.

LingiBW

Team selection is fine. Mourinho isn't out of his depth in modern football. He is and always has been a negative manager and be can no longer get these players bought into it. In terms of results he is, probably, still top 4 managers in the world, when he can get players bought into his win at all costs philosophy
He definitely is out of his depth, there is being defensively minded and then there's this.

The fact that he seems to be failing at his win at all cost philosophy makes me question if indeed he's still top 4 as you say.

The man has fallen behind the curve, it wasn't apparent before as we all thought his last season at Chelsea was a one-off but being at United has exposed the fraud that he is.

Crashoutcassius

He definitely is out of his depth, there is being defensively minded and then there's this.

The fact that he seems to be failing at his win at all cost philosophy makes me question if indeed he's still top 4 as you say.

The man has fallen behind the curve, it wasn't apparent before as we all thought his last season at Chelsea was a one-off but being at United has exposed the fraud that he is.
Random fans on a forum saying mourinho is definitely out of his depth in modern football just proves we are in the post truth stage of wanting a manager out. Very funny but also tragic. You're basically saying it is impossible that he goes to another club and Wins something. I don't think you're intelligent enough to make a prediction like that and be right 100% of the time, I don't think anyone does, but certainly not a fan that watches a few hours of football a week. I don't know where fans get the confidence to make claims like this, I'll never understand

LingiBW

Random fans on a forum saying mourinho is definitely out of his depth in modern football just proves we are in the post truth stage of wanting a manager out. Very funny but also tragic. You're basically saying it is impossible that he goes to another club and Wins something. I don't think you're intelligent enough to make a prediction like that and be right 100% of the time, I don't think anyone does, but certainly not a fan that watches a few hours of football a week. I don't know where fans get the confidence to make claims like this, I'll never understand
No, we are not in a post truth era, however way you want to put it. Jose has been a good manager, I will not question him on that, but to say he's very good without us at United seeing it is just showing blind faith. Modern football is happening whilst he is at our club, that he has won countless trophies and was playing effective but not-so pleasing football doesn't matter. He is not doing it at United and to me that is enough to say he's falling a bit behind the curve. Intelligent or not, i care about how he performs with us, not how he's been or how he could be somewhere else.

cyril C

Anyone else feel like this is the main reason why we're playing so badly at the moment? It has never felt like we've played our strongest available XI consistently under Mourinho.

There's always some sort of message he's trying to dictate to a dropped player or some bizarre exclusion that stops us playing our strongest side. For the last few games I've looked at the team selection pre match and just knew the game was going to be a pile of shite.

Personally can't wait to have a manager that knows how to pick a well balanced team again.
Do you mean the same 11 players should be playing 50 games a season? What is wrong with Jones replacing Lindelof who is injured? What is wrong with Rashford / Lingard replacing Lukaku / Mata when latter not delivering ? What is wrong with Fred replacing Pogba who was completely jaded last game and could use a break? What is wrong with Valencia replacing Young who has been playing non-stop 2 games a week throughout this season.

luke511

Do you mean the same 11 players should be playing 50 games a season? What is wrong with Jones replacing Lindelof who is injured? What is wrong with Rashford / Lingard replacing Lukaku / Mata when latter not delivering ? What is wrong with Fred replacing Pogba who was completely jaded last game and could use a break? What is wrong with Valencia replacing Young who has been playing non-stop 2 games a week throughout this season.
Completely missed the point.

Paul_Scholes18

The style of play and how we work together as a team is the biggest problem. I don't think the problem is the players he picks even if we could use better players, but more that we don't have a very good plan how we should play as a team.

MuFc_1992

Moyes has struggled after leaving us as well whereas LVG was an international manager whose last gig at Bayern went tits up and we all know about Mourhino's last season at Chelsea. We tend to hire managers who are mediocre or are past their best. Let's get someone who's on the up and see what happens.

Paul_Scholes18

Let's give him some credit in that he's improving in this department. I mean, we're not playing McTominay as a CB anymore, right? That's some progress at least.
Jepp also Phil Jones didn't take any corners so he is doing better than LVG too ;).

Paul_Scholes18

Agree here. Someone like Edie Howe would do much better than these clowns. I think we could be a bit too big for him unless we help him out with some good assistant managers and maybe a director of football to help out with transfers and so on.