Mourinho's thoughts if United appoint Moyes?

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Oh come on sammsky, give us some fanfic,you know you want to. Here, I'll start you off...

"Goodbye, then, Alex," he said, concealing his sadness with his familiar prickly hauteur. "Enjoy the rest of your life." He dismissed the call with a flick of his forefinger, and tossed the phone onto the seat beside him.

Jose stared out into the city that rushed past his limousine, oblivious and indifferent to his torment. Madrid was just waking up for the night's festivities, but for Jose it all suddenly felt too late.

"So for Alex, I am not the Special One. So be it. Well, I'm going to show them all just how Special I can be."

With that, he cracked open the car fridge and drew out a can of Special Brew. Then he leaned sideways, and with slow, deliberate strokes, began to lick the window of his limo. The contours of the city outside refracted to an impressionist blur through thick flow of his saliva, his tears and, soon enough, his semen.

TheRisingSun

Banned
They both suit the respective clubs they're off to manage, to be fair. We want longevity, decent football and preferably someone British, and Moyes ticks all those boxes. Mourinho is perfect for Chelsea - he's obviously a fantastic manager but having already fallen out with the owner in the past, it will obviously happen again before too long. His record at other clubs shows how much of a disruptive presence he can be, but his short term style suits the farce that is the Chelsea management merry go round.

And you're kidding yourself if you genuinely believe Jose didn't want the United job. It's been his eventual aim for quite some time and he's made that clear enough over the years. He clearly holds a soft spot for Chelsea but he would've jumped at the chance to manage United over Chelsea.
How has he made it clear that he wanted the United job?

And how do some manage to read between the lines of the conversation with Mourinho that it was SAF telling him that he wasn't going to get the job, when he explicitly says that SAF knows the next place that he wants to manage (strongly suggesting Chelsea).

I think there is a degree of arrogance in the assumption that United has been an obsession of Mourinho's. It seems to be based on the belief that the best manager would naturally gravitate to the biggest club. I've always been skeptical and these comments would seem to suggest I might have been right.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
How has he made it clear that he wanted the United job?

And how do some manage to read between the lines of the conversation with Mourinho that it was SAF telling him that he wasn't going to get the job, when he explicitly says that SAF knows the next place that he wants to manage (strongly suggesting Chelsea).

I think there is a degree of arrogance in the assumption that United has been an obsession of Mourinho's. It seems to be based on the belief that the best manager would naturally gravitate to the biggest club. I've always been skeptical and these comments would seem to suggest I might have been right.
Mourinho's aspired to be manager at United as far back as his Porto days. He's made no secret of it.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Mourinho's aspired to be manager at United as far back as his Porto days. He's made no secret of it.
Are there actual quotes by Mourinho himself, which undermine this thesis? All I have heard in that matter were general statements by users without cited sources. If there are actually such quotes then I gladly change my opinion.

However, for a neutral (I´m actually not even that neutral, because I have a soft spot for both United and the Spurs for years) statements like that any coach in the world would jump without hesitation on the opportunity to coach United or that a certain coach would without a doubt prefer United over a certain club are pretty hard to swallow, because there swings a good amount of arrogance with it.

Succeeding SAF is a big honor and challenge (probably the hardest job in the football business right now), but it definitely also has down sides.

For me it is not hard to imagine clubs, which can offer coaches things in comparision to United that can make a difference. Be it personal salary and budget (Mourinho at Chelsea), more trust and freedom to act by himself and the chance to create his own legend (Klopp at Dortmund) or simply a commitment at a club just as big as United (Guardiola at Bayern).

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Are there actual quotes by Mourinho himself, which undermine this thesis? All I have heard in that matter were general statements by users without cited sources. If there are actually such quotes then I gladly change my opinion.

However, for a neutral (I´m actually not even that neutral, because I have a soft spot for both United and the Spurs for years) statements like that any coach in the world would jump without hesitation on the opportunity to coach United or that a certain coach would without a doubt prefer United over a certain club are pretty hard to swallow, because there swings a good amount of arrogance with it.

Succeeding SAF is a big honor and challenge (probably the hardest job in the football business right now), but it definitely also has down sides.

For me it is not hard to imagine clubs, which can offer coaches things in comparision to United that can make a difference. Be it personal salary and budget (Mourinho at Chelsea), more trust and freedom to act by himself and the chance to create his own legend (Klopp at Dortmund) or simply a commitment at a club just as big as United (Guardiola at Bayern).
We're not arrogant, just better.

LR7

Do a quick google search of "Mourinho wants to manage Manchester United" and from the amount of articles it throws up you'll see it's not fallacy borne in the minds of arrogant United fans. It's a common understanding that he wanted to manage this club.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Do a quick google search of "Mourinho wants to manage Manchester United" and from the amount of articles it throws up you'll see it's not fallacy borne in the minds of arrogant United fans. It's a common understanding that he wanted to manage this club.
Just done it.

First link is news.
Jose Mourinho expects success for David Moyes at Manchester United

Then after that there is two Daily Mail articles, an article in the Mirror saying he wants to manage at PSG, the man united forums saying how Mourinho wants to come here and then a talksport link.

LR7

My google search shows several articles stating things like Mourinho has made no secret of the fact that he wants to manage us.
This might be the closest thing to a quote fom the man himself:
"I would consider going to Manchester United but United have to consider if they want me to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson," he told the Daily Mirror. "If they do, then of course.
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...like-to-manage-manchester-united-6765472.html

Why people are fighting it is beyond me. I'm sure many managers would like to manage this club. It's hardly inconceivable is it?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
In my opinion Bayern, Barca, United and Real are all clubs from the historical top echelon of clubs that are currently around the top of their powers, they could almost all choose their manager at will. It's not arrogance, it's the same in every industry. Sadly the likes of Chelsea just tick one box, like it or not that's the way it is. Chelsea as attractive a job as it is, (short stay, good chance of silverware, riches) it's not in the same league as those clubs yet.

As for Jose, if he wasn't courting United then why was he acting like such a lovestruck chump this last while?

But there is no proof either way. So if you have given your opinion once, then spare us.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Some people just can't understand why you would want Moyes over Mourinho so they are desperately trying to pretend that Moyes wasn't our first choice. Personally I find it very easy to understand.
Then they know less than they'd like to think about our club, you can disagree that Moyes is the man for the job, but to not understand it is very odd.

LR7

Some people just can't understand why you would want Moyes over Mourinho so they are desperately trying to pretend that Moyes wasn't our first choice. Personally I find it very easy to understand.
I didn't even vote for Mourinho in the poll thread so that's clearly not the case here. My only point is that Mourinho has stated interest in managing here before which is what some people were arguing against.

TheRisingSun

Banned
My google search shows several articles stating things like Mourinho has made no secret of the fact that he wants to manage us.
This might be the closest thing to a quote fom the man himself:

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...like-to-manage-manchester-united-6765472.html

Why people are fighting it is beyond me. I'm sure many managers would like to manage this club. It's hardly inconceivable is it?
The fact that he once said that he would "consider" it is hardy the kind of ringing endorsement you would expect from someone who has according to a lot of posters on this forum "coveted the job since his Porto days".

I agree with the bloke above - a lot the "Mourinho to United" assumptions seems to be based on little more than arrogance.

I'm not saying he wouldn't have wanted it, but I certainly don't think he had his heart set on it. The comments he has made repeatedly about coming back to manage Chelsea are far more emphatic, a return which was likely to have been made impossible if he took the United job.

Waltraute

She-Devil
I agree with the bloke above - a lot the "Mourinho to United" assumptions seems to be based on little more than arrogance.
Claiming the United job in and of itself is 'the greatest job in football' would be arrogant, I agree. But here we're talking about succeeding Sir Alex -- a true once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, if not outright a once-in-football-history opportunity.

They've been pontificating since the late 90s about how we'd crumble once he left, ffs. To be the one to prove everyone wrong is the greatest challenge. If you're not interested in that job you're either a coward or certifiable.

Also, brilliant fanfic, Plech! :lol:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Mourinho is pragmatic, if nothing else - he'd be as likely to go back to Inter (if their finances were better) as he would to return to Chelsea. He's always put his own career over the 'love' he has for particular clubs; therefore, it's not unreasonable to suggest that he'd throw both beloved clubs under the bus in his rush for the United job.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Not so sure that's the case:

I think he had a release clause and I think he wanted to come here.
LOL, awful articles aren't they and as I said all written by people who like you and me have no access to the contract. Sun and Mirror, why does anyone read that crap? More importantly who is dumb enough to believe them?

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Claiming the United job in and of itself is 'the greatest job in football' would be arrogant, I agree. But here we're talking about succeeding Sir Alex -- a true once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, if not outright a once-in-football-history opportunity.

They've been pontificating since the late 90s about how we'd crumble once he left, ffs. To be the one to prove everyone wrong is the greatest challenge. If you're not interested in that job you're either a coward or certifiable.

Also, brilliant fanfic, Plech! :lol:
I disagree with the bold. Keeping United successful is not the hardest part about the job. For that, SAF leaves a way too good fundament behind. A squad filled with world class players like Vidic, Carrick, Rooney or RvP, including high valued young players like De Gea, Kagawa, Hernandez and Evans. Add to that a well organized youth academy and a annual revenue of over 400 Mil. €. The departure of SAF does not suddenly result into United losing the status as a European top club.

In that regard, Moyes taking over United is not that much different to Guardiola taking over Bayern.

The hardest part about the job is to manage to step out of the huge shadow of SAF. You will be constantly compared to him by the media and fans. If Moyes just carries on where SAF left off a large part of the credit in the coming years will be taking by the United legend for laying the before mentioned ground work. If he wants to truly profile himself as something different than a simple successor he needs to do the things his way, which is dangerous because SAF´s way was so successful.

As far as I´m concerned, in this job you can win relatively little and lose a lot. This is why I could totally understand, why coaches like Klopp, who can manage to build his own legacy at Dortmund similar to SAF at United, or Mourinho, who can rebuild Chelsea to his liking, might not have been too keen to take such a job.

TheRisingSun

Banned
Mourinho is pragmatic, if nothing else - he'd be as likely to go back to Inter (if their finances were better) as he would to return to Chelsea. He's always put his own career over the 'love' he has for particular clubs; therefore, it's not unreasonable to suggest that he'd throw both beloved clubs under the bus in his rush for the United job.
I disagree. He didn't like the way he was treated in Italy or the Italian media. He has always effused about his love for English football and his relationship with the media.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I think that's true but what TSR said above is correct as well. I was in Italy at the time he was managing Inter and the press out there really did hate him. He did not enjoy his time in Italy at all. He is more likely to manage likes of PSG than go back to Italy.

KiD MoYeS

:lol:
The book is from Spanish journalist Diego Torres. Mourinho was alledely in tears as Moyes was appointed as Ferguson's successor and declared 'he (Moyes) has never won anything.'

KiD MoYeS

Here's some translated extracts, courtesy of reddit.
The terms of the abdication of Ferguson were the 'scoop' most coveted by traffickers Premier secrets. There were those who toiled for years preparing a web of privileged connections to enable them to guess before anyone else when a vacancy occur. Jorge Mendes, president and owner of Gestifute, braided ties with Old Trafford more than any agent. No representative or bulkier did business with Ferguson rarer. Mourinho, encouraged by his devoted agent, believed that Ferguson was also an ally, a friend and godfather. He became convinced that united them a relationship of genuine trust. He thought his fabulous collection of titles, two European Cups, seven League Cups and four in four different countries, constitute an endorsement inaccessible to all other suitors. When he learned that Ferguson had chosen Moyes, the Everton manager, struck him a fearful unbelief. Moyes had not won a thing!
They were the most miserable hours of Mourinho in his time as manager of Real Madrid. The bore between dozing and waking, mobile glued to seeking clarification from the night of the 7th and the morning of May 8.
I tormented the memory of Sir Bobby Charlton interview that had granted the 'Guardian' in December. The trials of legendary former football player and member of the board of United, he caused great uncertainty. "A United's manager would not do what he did to Tito Vilanova" settled Charlton, evoking the finger in the eye, when asked if he was seen as a successor to Ferguson. "Mourinho is a really good coach, but I would not go beyond."
"In the morning called Mendes to liaise with the United urgently. Until the end, he wanted his agent to pressure the English club in an attempt to block any operation. It was an act of desperation. Both knew that Mendes had put Mourinho on the market for a year. David Gill, the United chief executive, held regular talks with Gestifute and was aware of the arrangement of Mourinho. But not interested as manager. A Mendes and had told them in the fall of 2012 that the first option was Pep Guardiola Ferguson.
What most spooked Mourinho was concluded that the public had made a fool. He felt cheated by Ferguson and feared someone might stop taking him seriously. For years, the propaganda machine acting their service had reported the idea of ​​a friendship that is now revealed as a fantasy image. To give coherence to the facts to light, Gestifute advisors advised him to say that he already knew everything because Ferguson had called to inform him. On May 9, Gestifute someone got in touch with the daily 'Record' to tell that Ferguson offered his crown to Mourinho for four months, but rejected it because his wife preferred to live in London, and therefore was over by leaning by Chelsea. Meanwhile, Mourinho gave an interview on Sky where Ferguson stated that kept him promptly aware of their intentions, but never made the offer because he knew that he wanted to train at Chelsea. The contradictions were not planned.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
The book is from Spanish journalist Diego Torres. Mourinho was alledely in tears as Moyes was appointed as Ferguson's successor and declared 'he (Moyes) has never won anything.'
I think some people on here were almost in tears as well...

Zen86

Interesting one for those who thought Mourinho had his heart set on Chelsea from the beginning :rolleyes:

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
http://sports.terra.com/soccer/clean-sheet/blog/2012/09/11/the-man-who-uncovers-mourinhos-secrets/

This guy is well known for his anti-Madrid and anti-Mourinho agenda and has apparently been banned from interviewing Real players since 2010 because of the amount of bollocks he's spouted.

From the Diego Torres' interview on 09.11.12

"Do you know Mourinho?
- Only a little. I have seen him in press conferences and some events, I don’t know him as much as I would like to. I would like to have a conversation with him and discuss certain topics extensively, but he has not wanted to sit down and talk to me."

Now, that's someone you want to buy a book on Mourinho from.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think some of us were too! :angel:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
From the Diego Torres' interview on 09.11.12

"Do you know Mourinho?
- Only a little. I have seen him in press conferences and some events, I don’t know him as much as I would like to. I would like to have a conversation with him and discuss certain topics extensively, but he has not wanted to sit down and talk to me."

Now, that's someone you want to buy a book on Mourinho from.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Sounds like el bollockos.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'd say Mourinho is pragmatic enough to still think he can still become the United manager. Even if Moyes succeeds (which isn't a sure thing), there's no guarantee over how long he'll be here. If I was Mourinho I'd pick up my wages at Chelsea, improve my behaviour a bit, keep saying nice things about United and try to win as much as I can. Then if Moyes goes I'd be one of the best candidates for the job, particularly if Moyes' reign ends after a barren period.

As such, I can't see Mourinho being hysterically heartbroken at the news. Funny story though.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
All adds up to me tbh. He was courting the United job almost openly for ages. Even when his RM team knocked us out at OT, he was unusually diplomatic and complimentary. He wanted the job badly, make no mistake about it.

That said, I don't see any reason to mock him for it. We should be flattered. He's a top manager. Even if he is an insufferable twat.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Sid Lowe mentioned this on Football Weekly. Said the journalist got a lot of stick for some of the things he said about Madrid over the years but they all turned out to be true. Apparently chances are all this is likely to be true as well.