Film Movie questions you've always wanted answered but...

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Probably not, but probably have as much say, if not more, on Death Star as he was there from the beginning. Ships captain and all that.

And guess Vader is respectful of him.

stevoc

What the feck was going on in that last Mission Impossible movie?

Was there any sort of plot?

Did they have a script they worked from or did they just wing it?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Was it really necessary to cast two such drab actors as Ford & Gosling in Blade Runner and its sequel? They were totally outshone by their co-stars, male and female, in both films...

Is that the prisoner cell planet H one?

Pretty sure there was an alien cutting about the craft when it landed as Ripley confirmed its presence when he got temporary reactivated.
This one onboard the Sulaco,which kick started the events of A3 with the fire breakout.
The Queen clearly didn't do it, if we're going by continuity.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
So what's the deal with that grand Moff Tarkin cnut?

Is he ranked higher than Vader or not?
I think Vader didn't really have an official rank as such. More just a sort of trusty hitman for the Emperor who operated on his own but obviously worked within the Empire all the same. Tarkin's in charge of the Death Star so gets authority since he runs the big space ball thingy.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Was it really necessary to cast two such drab actors as Ford & Gosling in Blade Runner and its sequel? They were totally outshone by their co-stars, male and female, in both films...
I thought Ford was fine in the first one, just doesn't help that Batty is the much more interesting character.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
How the feck was Star Wars set in „a long time ago“ ? It should be in the future

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
So what's the deal with that grand Moff Tarkin cnut?

Is he ranked higher than Vader or not?
I think this is the only major flaw of the first Star Wars film. Vader is introduced as the main villain - his screen presence is utterly and completely dominant, and the camera seems to buckle every time he walks into shot - but Tarkin (as you've established with that clip) is always referred to as his superior, so despite the best film's best efforts it can never decide whether Vader is the main villain or simply Tarkin's henchman. As a starting point of the original trilogy it makes sense that Vader begins as part of Tarkin's team in A New Hope and gets promoted to Tarkin's role in Empire Strikes Back (Side point: let's face it, Irvin Kershner knew what to do with Vader on every level, to the point where I'd say Vader in Empire is the scariest motherfecking villain of all time)

... But Star Wars was a standalone film upon release so Vader's arc within the original would have remained undefined and slightly muddled if the franchise had failed, as many of the crew were concerned it would. The Empire Strikes Back is the ultimate sequel for a number of reasons: it brilliantly enhances and expands the Star Wars universe in the most exciting way possible (in a way that, in my opinion, has only been matched in the two sequels), and it significantly adds layer upon layer of depth to every main character. But most importantly, it answers your big question. There's some uncertainty with Vader's role in A New Hope (Is he the villain or just the heavy? Is he connected to Luke or just interested? Did he die at the end or just spin out?), but Empire Strikes Back answers everything you had in your mind about the original and confirms that Vader is the guy in so many ways.

The Last Jedi's my favourite Star Wars film but Empire is near-perfect.

Runner

Leia sure talks a lot of shit for someone who's only jedi power is channeling Mary Poppins.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
I thought Ford was fine in the first one, just doesn't help that Batty is the much more interesting character.
Just by sheer luck Ford performance works in first movie if............................he is actually human being and not a robot.

The movie really does fall on its arse if Ford is a android.

Carolina Red

Staff
I think Vader didn't really have an official rank as such. More just a sort of trusty hitman for the Emperor who operated on his own but obviously worked within the Empire all the same. Tarkin's in charge of the Death Star so gets authority since he runs the big space ball thingy.
@Ian Reus
This. Also, in the book series, Vader listens to Tarkin out of pure respect for the man. Tarkin was Vader’s dark side Yoda.

Bole Top

it's not movie but... in X-Files - who or what exactly killed Mulder's sister? :annoyed:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I also assumed that Vader is existing outside of the official Imperial hierarchy (although now I'm remembering that he was called "general Vader" at some point), so Tarkin is in charge of the whole Death Star thingy, but has to listen to Vader as he has the Emperor's ear.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Darth Vader was, apparently, pretty much the Emperor's muscle. Tarkin was a very high ranking governor and commander of the death star. He and Vader we tasked with crushing the Rebel Alliance and worked together to achieve that aim.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Ok Dwazza, I believe you’re an upstanding guy and wouldn’t wind me up :nervous:, but why his soul?
Well, it's something that I've heard, too. We don't know how or why Marsellus' soul ended up in such a state, but it increases the importance of the case and why the couriers, Jules and Vincent, are loath to relinquish it under any circumstances. The premise also fits nicely with Jules' mantra, Ezikiel 25:17, as one could imagine a disembodied soul would need a righteous person to lead it back where it belongs.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Did Tom get the antique guns from the bridge.
Who wins when Fast Eddie played Vincent in pool

DavidDeSchmikes

Why on Batman and Robin does Mr Freeze tell Batman "I'll kill you next time", instead of killing him then?