Moyes - Can he handle the pressure?

togg

Everyone has their own way of going about their business. Mourinho is arrogant and it works for him. Guardiola is quieter and it works for him. Fergie is intimidating and it works for him. As long as Moyes does what works for him and Manchester United, I don't care. There is no one way of management that "works" IMO.

Infact, the above is such a tiny part of it anyway. As long as he does his actual job well, he won't have problems with the media.
As he said himself. He's going to carry on doing what David Moyes has always done. Best way to tackle what is arguably the toughest gig in football right now.....

ciderman9000000

Looked a bit rabbit in the headlights,
i do think he will be good but I worry whether it will take him time,
I think having Fergie upstairs doesn't help - as we saw with Busby
I really want him to succeed because I like Moyes
but im worried its too much for him at the moment and he wont get time to settle.
Is this a poem?

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Just my opinion guys but I wouldnt fancy starting a job where the last guy was a legend and he is upstairs and seeing how you do
I think Moyes is a great manager and I think he wil do well but I think hes been put under a lot of pressure,
You've never been hired for a position that your boss previously had experience in and then went into an 'upstairs' role?

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
He's a typical hard on the outside - chicken on the inside guy. Halfway into the season and we're on 5th spot he will be accused for not playing Rooney, Giggs will be pissed off for not getting enough time either and people will be putting up banners saying Moyes out SAF back in.

I'm sorry to say it but I just don't think you can find a manager like SAF these days.

You got to remember SAF managed to establish himself at a time when football had not yet become what it is today with all young internet fans who constantly mix up reality with video games.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Watching that press conference is the first time it really hit me that Sir Alex is no longer our manager (and the replacement is not Mourinho), as many of you would know I have been one of those who firmly believed that Jose is the idea replacement for Sir Alex - replacing the best manager ever with the best manager at the time, what could be more obvious?

Anyway, believe it or not, I've started to come to terms with the Moyes appointment and strangely intrigued by what will happen. The tough start to the Premier League season should help him, and hopefully he'd prove me wrong over the season.

Cal?

CR7 fan
He's a typical hard on the outside - chicken on the inside guy. Halfway into the season and we're on 5th spot he will be accused for not playing Rooney, Giggs will be pissed off for not getting enough time either and people will be putting up banners saying Moyes out SAF back in.

I'm sorry to say it but I just don't think you can find a manager like SAF these days.

You got to remember SAF managed to establish himself at a time when football had not yet become what it is today with all young internet fans who constantly mix up reality with video games.

I dread to think what the reaction will be if that happened, I think most of us are realistic enough to live with 3rd (behind Abu City & Chelski), but 5th is simply not acceptable.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Just a question, what were you expecting from that presser? Lizardman to declare war on City and Chelsea, the announcement of Thiago, and plans to play total football?
:lol:

If we hired Joseph fecking Goebbels as our next manager that could have been the case. Except the nazis didn't declare war, they went gung ho all in without warning, and eventually came up with the concept of total war.

Ffs, it was an alright press conference, let's wait a couple of more days before we all piss our pants shall we.

ciderman9000000

I'm gonna give Moyes five more press conferences before I start asking serious questions about his suitability for the job. To judge him on just one press conference is ridiculous; he needs a good five or six press conferences before you can get a good handle on how he's going to be setting out his store.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm gonna give Moyes five more press conferences before I start asking serious questions about his suitability for the job. To judge him on just one press conference is ridiculous; he needs a good five or six press conferences before you can get a good handle on how he's going to be setting out his store.
Disagree. A youtube clip of the highlights of a press conference are enough to go on when judging a manager. The truly brilliant ones stand out even in the highlights.

fergieisold

I completely disagree with your assessment of his reaction in todays press conference. I thought he was confident and he really impressed me. The only thing he needs to sort out is telling journos to shut the feck up when asking too many questions. He should have knocked the Rooney stuff on the head more quickly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

You seem to know Moyes extremely well. Hmmmm.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I thought he played the Rooney discussion with a straight bat: the club's MO seems to be concerned with assuring Rooney that United is the best place for him to be. If the tactic fails, it's hardly Moyes' fault. We don't need a manager who makes grand, showboating gestures & who acts the tough guy to the press.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I thought he played the Rooney discussion with a straight bat: the club's MO seems to be concerned with assuring Rooney that United is the best place for him to be. If the tactic fails, it's hardly Moyes' fault. We don't need a manager who makes grand, showboating gestures & who acts the tough guy to the press.

I'm concerned that Moyes is so desperate to keep Rooney when he has asked to leave twice. If Rooney wants to leave then we should sell him instead of bending over backwards again. There's no point in keeping a player who doesn't want to be there.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I can't tell who's being serious & who's being satirical anymore.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Absurd thread. It's way too early pass judgment on whether Moyes "can handle the pressure" of being United manager.

The better question is who among us caftards "can handle the pressure" of not having Fergie as United manager.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
Everyone has their own way of going about their business. Mourinho is arrogant and it works for him. Guardiola is quieter and it works for him. Fergie is intimidating and it works for him. As long as Moyes does what works for him and Manchester United, I don't care. There is no one way of management that "works" IMO.

Infact, the above is such a tiny part of it anyway. As long as he does his actual job well, he won't have problems with the media.
How does he usually handle the media?

SirAF

Ageist
Speaking of media.. Does anyone know if the bans that Sir Alex dished out has been lifted, or has Moyesie kept them?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He'll get the time to settle plus Giggs and Philip (:lol: sorry just rememberd that interview with Gary) should help him acclimatise. I am more worried about Europe.

Philip is lethal expecially just outside the box. ;)

Goooose

The fans will turn on him very quickly if we don't make some quality signings. Not a good start off the pitch and our opening 5 games are difficult.

LR7

I don't see anybody turning on him.
He has some bold decisions to make in the next few weeks though.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Give him some time. It's a new job for him now and he needs to get used to it. We shouldnt really judge him in the first 6-8 months

Goooose

I don't see anybody turning on him.
He has some bold decisions to make in the next few weeks though.
Really? Potentially losing Rooney and failing to bring in some top quality players doesn't put us in a good position going into the new season. I can see the doom and gloomers getting on his back straight away.

Brightonian

Really? Potentially losing Rooney and failing to bring in some top quality players doesn't put us in a good position going into the new season. I can see the doom and gloomers getting on his back straight away.
It sort of sounds like you might be one of them, no?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
If this is the case at end of tranfer window, he will be under immense pressure even more so than he already is

Commadus

Fergie was the puppet master with the press, one syllable from him could have them at their knees. It takes time to cultivate this aura. Also Fergie had charisma in the bucketloads but then again charisma or lack of it is no indication as to the success of a manager but it does make press conferences that much more enjoyable as a window into the teams / managers thoughts and issues.

Moyes cannot just paddle in the slipstream of Fergie he really needs to make a bold statement and mark his ground and the trajectory of the club or the long shadow of Lord Ferg will still hang over him. It's going to be tough but I do think he can do it.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I hope David Moyes demands that 22 statues of himself are made and placed outside Old Trafford, so they form two teams lining up either side, leading into the front of the stadium. Each one will have a uniquely crazed expression, as well as a different combat weapon. The idea being that whichever team comes here - even United - it is irrelevant, because you will never beat 22 armed statues of David Moyes.