Moyes to appoint Neville, Round and others

Crustanoid

Not sure if its posted in another thread:

David Moyes, the incoming Manchester United manager, is set to appoint Phil Neville, Steve Round, Chris Woods and Robbie Cooke to his backroom staff, with all four taken from his former club Everton.

Neville, who made almost 400 appearances for United before joining Everton in 2005, is expected to replace Rene Meulensteen as first-team coach. The 36-year-old, Moyes's captain at Everton, had expressed interest in taking over as manager at Goodison Park.

With Meulensteen understood to have turned down a different role, four of Sir Alex Ferguson's senior backroom team will have departed the club. The assistant manager, Mike Phelan, Eric Steele, the goalkeeping coach, and Martin Ferguson, Sir Alex's brother, the chief scout, have all left.

Round, who has been Moyes's assistant manager at Everton since 2008, should take Phelan's position. Woods is in line to take over from Steele and Cooke, the chief scout at Everton, is likely to replace Ferguson.

It is unclear if Moyes, who hopes to persuade Wayne Rooney he has a future at United, has been able to speak with the striker. The birth of Rooney's second son and the fact that the forward was joining up with the England squad on Sunday, plus Moyes's plan to take a holiday this week, means time for them to meet has been limited.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/27/phil-neville-everton-moyes-manchester-united

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Just to clarify a bit; Martin Ferguson retired. I'm sure most people know this, but the article is making it look like (deliberately or not) he was "axed" by Moyes as well.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I can't imagine Neville being the same type of coach as Meulensteen at all. Well, whatever works best for the manager I guess.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I see the other moves as likely and sensible given what's happened but I can't see a noobie coming in and being given full control over training sessions with the top squad in the country. It would be madness.

I would love to see Nev return but as an assistant coach first until he learns the ropes.

Ole'sbodyguard

I can't help but feel extremely nervous about this, if true.
I can't see what there is to be nervous about. Moyes is going to bring his own staff in and Rene Meulensteen appears to have not wanted the job he was offered.

Heard a lot of good things about Steve Round and the level of preparation Moyes and his staff put into their training and match preparation.

It's not huge upheaval.

Crustanoid

I'm ok about most of this and Neville is a United lad so it seems to make sense

Irwinwastheking

I can't see what there is to be nervous about. Moyes is going to bring his own staff in and Rene Meulensteen appears to have not wanted the job he was offered.

Heard a lot of good things about Steve Round and the level of preparation Moyes and his staff put into their training and match preparation.

It's not huge upheaval.
I would assume apprehension would be about Neville being given the role of first team coach. I too would be worried about that. I'm a big fan of experience.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I see the other moves as likely and sensible given what's happened but I can't see a noobie coming in and being given full control over training sessions with the top squad in the country. It would be madness.

I would love to see Nev return but as an assistant coach first until he learns the ropes.
I was reading today that Moyes runs the training sessions.

I like that Phil is coming home.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Jesus christ, hopefully this is bullshit

The Cooke appointment especially would be fecking insane. Replacing our chief scout with Everton's... On what planet is that a good idea

I thought Jim Lawlor was chief scout anyway

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Well with these appointments and Fellaini likely coming we will slowly but surely become Everton. :nervous:

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Phil for Rene? We're losing out in that change of personnel.

I understand the need for Moyes to have those he trusts with him at such a high pressure job but it would have been nice to see a little more continuity from the established order with experience of the team's success.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Fine. Now no more from Everton, please.

Gazza

Steve Round worked on Steve McLaren's staff at M'Boro & England and Sam Allardyce's at Newcastle

Robbie Cooke was scout at Everton, recruited from travel agents Travelex :nervous:

Ole'sbodyguard

I would assume apprehension would be about Neville being given the role of first team coach. I too would be worried about that. I'm a big fan of experience.
We will see. From what people have said Rene Meulensteen had more of a role than is usual with coaches because Fergie had a very detached role in training so I'd guess more input from Moyes and the assistant is going to be apparent. Either way, I doubt Moyes would be bringing in a completely unproven man to replace what Meulesteen was doing.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

The Cooke appointment especially would be fecking insane. Replacing our chief scout with Everton's... On what planet is that a good idea

I'm not to worried about that to be honest. Our scouting network is still intact even after Martin Ferguson leaves.
And I do think Lawlor has the role of chief scout.

binary bot
The lack of experience at the top for the staff is a worry, but I guess a lot of staff that Fergie has employed haven't had much experience before hand.

Irwinwastheking

I was reading today that Moyes runs the training sessions.

I like that Phil is coming home.
That's very much the case and apparently why Rene is considering moving on. I suppose in that light 'first team coach' will be running the drills Moyes sets out.

Nah, Ferguson (the bro) was chief (hi stevej) scout. I don't know a lot about Cooke but the scouting network will still be in place and mainly needs managing.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Martin Ferguson retired so he needed to be replaced anyway. I don't think he was chief scout but more like someone who's opinion SAF trusted with with regards to players.

Jim Lawlor is the chief scout I think.

Brightonian

Ferguson (the bro) was chief (hi stevej) scout. I don't know a lot about Cooke but the scouting network will still be in place and mainly needs managing.
Nope, Jim Lawlor is chief scout. Martin Ferguson never had any kind of official role, as far as I'm aware.

EDIT: Far too slow, it seems.

Goooose

This isn't at all surprising. Moyes wasn't just going to replace Fergie and keep all the same staff was he? I'd rather Steele and Muelensteen stayed but what are you going to do?

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Isn't Sir Alex still the manager until July 1. Can't he do something about this bullshit?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Didn't even realise Eric Steele had left until now.. Seems a pretty needless decision

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
In a surprising move Bill Kenwright is appointed as the new CEO of Manchester United.

Ole'sbodyguard

Fans always make too much about staff appointments outside of the manager. The truth is we have no idea how good any of these people were at their job and no real basis to make a judgment.

From what I have read, Eric Steele has had a lot of positive comments from De Gea and received a big recommendation from Coton when he had to retire so I can get why people would have wanted him retained.

But other than that I can't really see what else we have to judge the rest on. The likes of Kidd, Mcclaren and Queiroz all used to receive the same type of comments Meulensteen is getting now and they have always been replaced with someone just as effective. Phelan's the only one in recent memory who for some reason has not fallen into that line of praise.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
To think it was just over a month ago that we were newly crowned champions looking forward to a summer of Fergie conspicuously avoiding signing central midfielders and Phelan taking care of stray balloons. It's been an unsettling month.

Sam

Some of you lot :lol: Jesus, you'd think we were employing people from the dole que judging by the reactions on here!

If you were expecting Moyes to just come in and keep everything the same then you were living on another planet. No new manager will do that. And rightfully so. He has to come in and make the club his own, which means bringing in some of his own staff. And quite frankly, how are we to know how good they are?...Somelike like Queiroz is treated like a messiah on here, yet before United, he coached at the likes of NY/NJ MetroStars and Nagoya Grampus Eight (Who?...Exactly). Can you imagine the shitstorm Moyes would get if he brought in someone with the pedigree?

Sadly, it really is becoming obvious that no matter what Moyes does, its gonna be wrong in many people's eyes. Just give the guy a chance, if he thinks certain staff will add to United, and make the team better, then who are we to judge? Cos frankly, none of us have a clue if a coach is good or bad.

Irwinwastheking

Ole'sbodyguard

Some of you lot :lol: Jesus, you'd think we were employing people from the dole que judging by the reactions on here!

If you were expecting Moyes to just come in and keep everything the same then you were living on another planet. No new manager will do that. And rightfully so. He has to come in and make the club his own, which means bringing in some of his own staff. And quite frankly, how are we to know how good they are?...Somelike like Queiroz is treated like a messiah on here, yet before United, he coached at the likes of NY/NJ MetroStars and Nagoya Grampus Eight (Who?...Exactly). Can you imagine the shitstorm Moyes would get if he brought in someone with the pedigree?

Sadly, it really is becoming obvious that no matter what Moyes does, its gonna be wrong in many people's eyes. Just give the guy a chance, if he thinks certain staff will add to United, and make the team better, then who are we to judge? Cos frankly, none of us have a clue if a coach is good or bad.

May sound odd now but in the days before the internet Kidd used to be treated as a guru of coaching(these days he's seen as a standing joke at City) and McClaren likewise used to get a lot of positive comments for his role with the club and the changes he brought in from his sports science background. I can recall seeing plenty of posters citing the loss of McClaren as the reason for a disappointing 01/02 when I first started posting on net forums before we brought in Queiroz. It's been like this since the Premiership started.

Thought people would have learned by now that no matter how good they are at their job they are normally replaced by someone equally as effective.