Moyes to appoint Neville, Round and others

Brightonian

As I said above. Moyes is in charge of all training sessions. He doesn't just oversee them like Sir Alex did in recent years.
I know, that bit was a joke. As I said above, my other comments were in general. I feel nervous about these changes, if true, but most of them are pretty much what I expected. Thought Rene might stay, and thought Moyes would be bringing his current Everton staff, not recruiting Neville. But as you say, Moyes is an active coach. He'll be doing much of Meulensteen and Phelan's jobs himself.

Which is the number one thing I'm looking forward to about him coming. I think we have looked 'uncoached' a lot under Fergie recently, and it's hard to get past the notion that that was because the guy in charge of the long-term strategy was not autocratic enough in the day-to-day nitty gritty of training. I hope we will see a bit of the rigour and discipline that Moyes' Everton team epitomised.

I still can't see any reason for Steele to leave, though, and I don't care how little we as fans know about the coaching situation. A goalkeeping coach doesn't need to be a personal disciple of the manager, and he's hardly going to be able to undermine the manager either. What we do know is that he was doing a great job, because we saw the results on the pitch. And his constructive relationship with De Gea is something I don't think we should be throwing away.

The Neviller

I see the other moves as likely and sensible given what's happened but I can't see a noobie coming in and being given full control over training sessions with the top squad in the country. It would be madness.

I would love to see Nev return but as an assistant coach first until he learns the ropes.
Surely Moyes will be the main man with coaching? He was hands on at Everton, wasn't he?

I'd be happy to see P Nev involved. Always liked him.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Aw, crap. BlueCafe here we come.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I saw the statue of Sir Matt down the Job Centre today.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Surely Moyes will be the main man with coaching? He was hands on at Everton, wasn't he?

I'd be happy to see P Nev involved. Always liked him.
Yeah, I corrected myself a little on the first page. The article was still misleading though becase essentially Moyes will also be first team coach.

Aw, crap. BlueCafe here we come.
Has a ring to it.

Maybe we need a new song.

It's a grand old team??

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
why the outrage?

it is hardly a suprise that Moyes is bringing in some of his backroom staff, thought he might have kept Rene on but perhaps he felt it was a good time to move on himself.

The only one that might be a bit of a suprise due to inexperience is Phil Neville. But Moyes knows Phil and Phil knows United, so he can show the new manager how things work around the club. Makes sense to me.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Fergie got rid of coaches at United and replaced them with people from outside, many times during his career. /hysteria
Qualms aren't hysteria.

Your reference to them being outsiders could be relevant here i feel, for if at least one of the new staff was a coach or adviser worthy of respect however new to both Moyes and United, i think the reaction might have a somewhat different tone to it.

Phil, though a former player, is likely gaining this job in part due to cronyism and past ties to Old Trafford. It is also a good deal more senior than is typical for such appointments at the club, why not the youth team or reserves as Neville's starting point?

Gazza

Qualms aren't hysteria.

Your reference to them being outsiders could be relevant here i feel, for if at least one of the new staff was a coach of or adviser worthy of respect however new to both Moyes and United, i think the reaction might be have a somewhat different tone to it.

Phil though a former player is likely gaining this job in part due to cronyism and past ties to Old Trafford. It is also a good deal more senior than is typical for such appointments at the club, why not the youth team or reserves as Neville's starting point?
I wasn't responding to qualms. The posts I've reacted to were all hysterical.

Ole'sbodyguard

On topic, I can't recall who posted the article but there was a good article on Moyes and Everton's training, match preparation and attention to detail with sports science and stats in the Moyes to United thread. It showed how he seemingly got so much out of so little investment and how he improved players. It's worth reading if whoever posted it can put up the link. Suggests his staff and methods were quite savvy. Whether that can be adapted to United is another thing but it shows he's good at the getting the best out of the resources available to him.

One of the things that always impressed me about Moyes at Everton was how he built his squad and team to remain competitive every single season and how he managed to improve players, play to their strengths and/or getting them performing consistently. You can see that in players like Howard, Lescott, Baines, Jagielka, Arteta, Cahill, Pienaar, Fellaini, etc. All of them either improved under Moyes or were extremely consistent for him. That suggests his coaching methods(and those of his staff) and methods of match preparation are good and effective.

Hal9000

Phil Neville won't be first team coach for long any how. Stepping stone for management for him. Think he already feels confident enough to go into management, as he's hinted at wanting the Everton job.

Not the most experienced coach, but he's been involved in England under 21 step up for a few years now and is apparently highly rated.

AlwaysRedwood

Quite a few sky is falling comments.

My God, wait until the hysteria when he signs some players.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This is crazy -- you don't replace wholesale the upper management strata of a winning organisation with one that is primarily full of battlers. Different mindset....Skills coach in Rene with Phil?

Plus who is left with any CL expereience?

So much for evolution over revolution.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I bet you went mental when Fergie employed Carlos Quiroz (From South Africa), Steve Mclaren (From Derby), Eric Steele (From Blackburn), Rene Meulensteen (From Al-Sadd), Paul McGuinness (From Chester City) and Richard Hawkins (From West Brom).

What was he thinking employing people like that?
The difference was that Fergie was already winning things when he employed these guys. He had that experience. Moyes doesn't, so replacing staff who have that experience with those who don't is confusing.

I can understand the overhaul in the backroom staff though. Moyes needs to be seen as the one in charge, he needs people who will listen to him and his way of things. He cannot lose the backroom staff. Keeping people like Phelan, Rene etc might mean they question his way of doing things because they're so used to how Fergie used to do it. It's human to question how the new guy does it when you're so used to how the best has been doing it. Moyes just cannot afford to be seen as not knowing what he's doing, least of all by his backroom staff.

Platato

Psst!
And who cares if they're being drama queens, it's a fecking forum. I honestly do not see the big deal from either perspective. There are those who whinge when change comes and those who don't. What annoys me is when people laugh with the impression, "haha how can you be so dumb to question these events". It's what they feel as part of being a fan and you want them to feel bad about it? I sympathise because some fans have never seen change before so the reactions aren't really that surprising. It's what can happen when you have your security blanket ripped from under you.

Platato

Psst!
If moyes controls all the training then phil will probably have a similar role to scholes?

binary bot
Phil hasn't even retired yet, possible midfield solution?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Moyes takes training sessions himself, he doesn't need someone to do it for him.

Some of you lot are right little morons aren't you? People are going to start making 'sack Moyes sign Steel' banners soon.
This. X 1,000,000

What a bunch of little bitches some of you are. SAF asked us to get behind the new manager. All of you waxed lyrical about that statement, but yet have second guessed everything he's done. This is without having any legitimate idea of what actually goes on behind the scenes.

This place is going to be intolerable after our first bad result.

The know-it-alls will be out.

Devil may care

So we didn't buy Bilbao or Dortmund, we bought Everton! :D

Who knows how it will work out but the notion that fans should have zero concerns about transplanting Everton's staff to United is ridiculous, I'm not seeing any meltdowns, just people saying they aren't keen on the idea. It'll be interesting to see how well those throwing names around and acting like keyboard warriors act if things go tits up.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Lets see first before some go in panic mode. However, i personally would prefer a more international approach and some experience

Nathan

Some of the posts are quite funny, but i think it all relates to change. Its the reaction to it all, Sir Alex leaving is massive for all concerned. It is normal for all of us to react in different ways. For those senior staff who have left the club, they have been fantastic and we should wish them well.

As for the new Manager, lets follow the request from Sir Alex, let support David Moyes, lets trust and believe that he can continue in the rich history and tradition of Manchester United.

roseguy64

What's the problem with appointing Neville? He's going to be helping with the England U21s this summer so he'll not be starting from zero and I'm sure he's done some coaching before. Plus he'll have less duties than Rene had so it's not that big of an ask. Plus he has a connection to the club and Moyes. No problem at all from me.

Would have liked Rene to stay on also but c'est la vie.